Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cease to Hope posted:

man halo 6's story, huh

Better than Halo 5. Fractured all to hell but individual character beats are pretty good.

No Halo 2 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Better than Halo 5. Fractured all to hell but individual character beats are pretty good.

No Halo 2 though.

y'know, i didn't play halo 5, but i can hear the whooshing sound when everything gets reset back to the original status quo

plus, i hate both of these joss whedon reject sidekicks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cease to Hope posted:

y'know, i didn't play halo 5, but i can hear the whooshing sound when everything gets reset back to the original status quo

plus, i hate both of these joss whedon reject sidekicks

Man if you don't like those Joss Whedon sidekicks have I got a warning for you about Halos 3, ODST and 5...

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bASvyFUH0c

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Man if you don't like those Joss Whedon sidekicks have I got a warning for you about Halos 3, ODST and 5...

I like ODST plenty! The high concept did it for me, even if the characters were all just kinda thin cliches.

I honestly don't think I clearly remember anything about Halo 3 except that I really understood how Bungie wanted to move on after that. I even replayed it a few years ago, but every time I try to remember something that happened in it, it turns out it was from one of the other games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm just saying 3 and ODST feature half the cast of Firefly and BSG and 5 brings Nathan Fillion up again.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Arc Hammer posted:

WE SHALL GRIND THEM INTO DUST.
SCRAPE THEM AS EXCRETEMENT FROM OUR BOOTS!

My disc copy of H2 had subtitles for that line, even though they don’t actually say it in the scene.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Argus Zant posted:

SCRAPE THEM AS EXCRETEMENT FROM OUR BOOTS!

My disc copy of H2 had subtitles for that line, even though they don’t actually say it in the scene.

Lol thats funny. Considering the rush job of Halo 2 I guess they didn't have time to proofread the subtitles before shipping.

That cutscene is still by far my favourite one in any halo game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pGYyocIsBo

It provides so much context for the Covenant. You have a more concrete examination of their religious zeal, the rivalry between Brutes and Elites, the scheming of the Prophets and awesome, awesome music.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
To clarify/expand, we've been together long enough that in addition to getting gifts for each other, we also sometimes just buy something we want and make it a present from the other, or even ourselves. It's fun to open a "to me, from me" present on Christmas! Our younger kid has started doing that too.

On buying an actual copy, I don't totally know, except I'm old enough still sometimes like physical media. Most often not, but sometimes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The gift giving I've no issues with, its just Game Pass gets you an insane amount of games including every single other Halo game in addition to Halo 6 while the physical only gets you the Halo 6 single player.

Apparently the new TV series will be non Canon with the games to which all I can say is, good.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Running around blood gulch, wacking ppl with swords, and crouching on their faces is what Halo means to me

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Oh yeah a big halo nerd has an LP going on. One and two are done, three is just getting started.

Saves me the hassle of doing the third one.
(I did LPs of the first two games on PC like a decade ago or something by now.)
Even if I still need to play it myself at some point.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

word on the street is they're making some kind of teevee show

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
hope it has loads of skullball

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

josh04 posted:

word on the street is they're making some kind of teevee show

The great thing about that is that it can be total trash with no respect to the source material, but as long as master chief is blowing up some aliens it'll kick rear end

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So how's that Halo show.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Arc Hammer posted:

So how's that Halo show.

Seems like some weird combo of good and bad if you disregard the usual alt-right YouTube outrage machine. Haven't seen it yet but I was personally on board with the Wikipedia plot synopsis of the first episode until the last line which is a bit eeehhhhh

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
"i didn't watch it but here's a review of the youtube responses and wikipedia summary" is very very funny

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Arc Hammer posted:

So how's that Halo show.

It's some other sci fi IP with a Halo skin

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

master chief doesn't look like a finger that's been wrapped in a band-aid for a week 0/10

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I loved seeing the designs brought to life, but it had a really cheap feel to most of it. I'll watch it as I'll watch almost any new Sci fi but I also think they'll do something stupid like take the whole season to get to the loving title of the show.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
It feels very Witcher Season 1, a weird combination of "Wow, that was awesome", "They put a lot of money into that" and "Why did that look so cheap?"

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Kingtheninja posted:

I loved seeing the designs brought to life, but it had a really cheap feel to most of it. I'll watch it as I'll watch almost any new Sci fi but I also think they'll do something stupid like take the whole season to get to the loving title of the show.

It's going to be that.

The show was bad, like somebody that the only problem those kind crummy SciFi Channel original series' from about a decade ago or so wasthat only ever got a half season order was SFX budget. The Spartans were too anime doing crazy jumps and striking anime poses and John Wick CQB and poo poo lending this odd felling weightlessness to the action. The plot and dialog was just cliche and the action ranged from meh to awful. Just not a good show.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Cease to Hope posted:

"i didn't watch it but here's a review of the youtube responses and wikipedia summary" is very very funny

R

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Kingtheninja posted:

Yes they nailed the aesthetic of all the stuff; I love that they got the scale of "Spartans are significantly taller than the average human, but Elites still have a solid two feet on even the biggest Spartan" right. High Charity looked great and I was fully down with the plot wrinkle of "There's a human who seemingly has a position of power in the Covenant hierarchy, probably because she accidentally activated a Forerunner artifact at the right time, and now she is forced to work with them out of pure self-interest/survival."

some other thoughts:

- The FPS shots where they try to say that the GUI from the games is exactly what SPARTAN-IIs see were extremely bad
- The opening sequence in particular is astoundingly graphicly violent; like Family Guy/American Dad violence but with realistic CG that clearly had a decent budget. But the violence works to establish the enormity of the Covenant threat
- The show does in 20 seconds what no Halo game has been able to do in the last 20 years: make the plasma rifle look powerful.
- A criticism I read in a pre-air review was "This looks like any CBS show" and this poo poo looks like a CBS show
- there's a shot where Natasha McElhone has Gulianni hands in the third act
- They made the UNSC pretty explicitly fascist, which I do not think Halo the Streaming Series based on the Video Game is prepared to deal with. And again, since it feels like a CBS show I expect them to swap criticism of the oppressive military government for troop worship pretty soon.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 26, 2022

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
The problem is the CGI would look great in 1080p, but they rendered everything in 4K.

I don’t mind the narrative changes. I’ve been a Halo fan for ever. I’m dogshit at the game, but I have consumed all the novels, comics, etc. I thought I was going to have sit through a bunch of plot beats the whole season, but the everything took a left turn with John saving the rebel girl. It’s a pleasant surprise because now I know gently caress all what’s going to happen.

Also, plasma weapons are brutal as gently caress.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
yeah, the first episode is really odd. it feels like it could be a pretty neat season finale... but instead it's the opening of the whole show. like, imagine a show where you spent a few episodes with this plucky band of rebels, and then they all just loving died when the covenant show up. they could talk up the evils of the UNSC and we could see the powerplays between halsey and admiral parangosky culminating in that moment where halsey tells her spartans to go up against the UNSC to save John. maybe we could even see john ice the girl's mom to better establish his big turn. instead, it all just comes at you really quickly and it doesn't really feel earned. i don't care much that they're changing the lore or whatever but just the writing in general seems strange and off-kilter.

the whole john drew the space artifact when he was a kid thing is the worst bit. i thought the spartan armor looked pretty nice but there were a few shots where the actors were clearly struggling to move in it. idk. it wasn't bad but it absolutely felt like some exec saw the success of the Mandalorian and went, hey, didn't we have that halo thing from a few years back? let's greenlight it but they need to make it like the Mandalorian. the guy they've got playing john halo is... okay, i guess? but downes' voice is iconic so it's a tough act to follow.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Horizon Burning posted:

the whole john drew the space artifact when he was a kid thing is the worst bit.

that was so bad that I completely forgot about it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
show was pretty good for what it is (a dumb videogame show)

so yeah more thanks, it enraged gamers because it is woke

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I like that it's Halo-themed, but not just a regurgitation of the games or books.

As someone above said, it's sci-fi with the Halo logo strapped to it.

But I'm cool with that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JethroMcB posted:

that was so bad that I completely forgot about it.

For a second I thought they were saying the dad shot the dog and buried that, instead of burying the space artifact lmao

Also I feel like having a space trash planet where you send your galaxy's worth of trash instead of doing anything else is a bad use of a planet

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

RBA Starblade posted:

For a second I thought they were saying the dad shot the dog and buried that, instead of burying the space artifact lmao

Also I feel like having a space trash planet where you send your galaxy's worth of trash instead of doing anything else is a bad use of a planet

I remember when our space dog died and the whole family went to Dead Pet Planet.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

I would've liked the show better if the main character wasn't Mr. Chief, I just think giving him any more character beyond being the badass faceless player analogue is a bad move. Plus the show did way better the further it strayed from the original story (Soren-066 is easily the coolest part of it and maybe the best character to debut in the 343 era), it's why I'm worried for the next season that presumably will just be Combat Evolved but gayer.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
is humanity on the brink in the halo story, or is it more like a warhammer 40k-style grinding almost-stalemate where it's gonna be another ten thousand years of war before the final collapse

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

is humanity on the brink in the halo story, or is it more like a warhammer 40k-style grinding almost-stalemate where it's gonna be another ten thousand years of war before the final collapse

In Halos 1 through 3 humanity is more or less murdered back to Earth and has a population of less than 1 billion remaining (iirc it was set at 100 million or so based on some pack-in with Halo 3).

In Halos 4 and 5 after 343 took over it turned out everyone just forgot about the hundreds of other colonies and ships and shipyards they had and all the turbobombing wasn't really that bad and we were going to curbstomp the bad aliens really hard even if Master Chief hosed up the campaigns and Humanity Number 1

In Halo Infinite all the military everywhere blew up but I guess the planets are pretty ok, except Australia which blew up too

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
huh, that's an... interesting retcon

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

As I understand it, before the Covenant came along, humanity was kinda mostly controlled by a fascist Earth government, and they were fighting a bunch of rebel space colonies trying to secede, but after the space rebels did a couple 9/11s public sentiment turned against them.

And then the Covenant broke the space rebels first, but the anti-rebellion troops wound up being great for killing aliens.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

As I understand it, before the Covenant came along, humanity was kinda mostly controlled by a fascist Earth government, and they were fighting a bunch of rebel space colonies trying to secede, but after the space rebels did a couple 9/11s public sentiment turned against them.

And then the Covenant broke the space rebels first, but the anti-rebellion troops wound up being great for killing aliens.

yeah master chief was cooked up to do a space jakarta method and only coincidentally ended up being good at killing aliens too

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Per Halopedia:

So Earth's population was 10 Billion before the Covenant invasion...then 200 million shortly after it...then 7.9 billion a few years afterwards :thunk:

(The population decline also included off-world evacuation efforts that returned to the planet pretty quickly)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

huh, that's an... interesting retcon

343 really missed the point, in a lot of ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can't remember if it's in Halo 4 or Halo 5 but at one point the character Thomas Lasky has a monologue about how Humanity is now the top dog in the galaxy and they have a responsibility to uphold their place against all comers.

Then in the next game they get their asses utterly handed to them by space pirates.

Humanity after the Covenant War is kind of all over the place. The Outer Colonies were slaughtered entirely while the only Inner Colony to fall was Reach. And then millions died during the attack on Earth, but the other Inner Colonies were more or less unscathed.

The mistake that the 343 games make is that they don't understand that Humanity got LUCKY that the war ended the way it did. The Covenant proportionally took more casualties than humans did but the vast majority of those losses came as part of the Great Schism and the aftermath. It took 27 years of nonstop slaughter for the Covenant to carve through the Outer Colonies. The Grear Schism drove multiple Covenant species to near extinction in less than a month. Billions to trillions dead as the Covenant splintered.