Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Having the mass spectrometer access is nice but the variables in that study are unacceptable. My first gut feeling tells me those volatile compounds don't like two years of shaking to degrade. Anyone could enumerate dozens of other problems.

I was happy to see it was the r/relationships thread though lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I would not have expected that in that thread of all places

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Just made a beautiful beef pot pie and the trim from the beef I used (well trimmed chuck) joined my previous 'broth bag' bits in the instant pot to make bone broth. About half was browned, the other half raw beef.

The... Hot bone smell when it opened up was pretty overwhelming. Actually had to take a little walk, get air as I was a bit nauseous. Not sure why it seems so strong tonight. I'm sure the broth is fine, and I set it to cool so I can adjust seasoning and pressure can it tomorrow. Anyone else think bone broth smell is a lot, or am I just being overly sensitive?
Also - my pie. It's GF too, and it's not easy to get a flaky crust on one!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
You can just say broth. Did you blanch the bones first? It helps get rid of some funky stuff, especially if you're not skimming the stuff that rises to the top

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Nope, just chucked them in, will try that next time!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mystes posted:

It's not that there's something specifically wrong with the stuff that you can get in the US that makes it not food grade. It's just that normal mustard oil can't be sold labelled for human consumption in the us.

Not just the US. EU-wide too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thread title ready for an update, mayhaps. Preferably with some kind of identifier so I can find it from my bookmarks, along with all the other generically named "General Questions" thread?

GWS: General Questions Thread - I Mustard You a Question

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I asked earlier in the wrong thread - I am looking for a sinus-clearing mustard for purchase in the US that comes in a squeeze container. Seems like this kind of mustard can be found in single-use packets all over europe, and about 30% of the time in chinese takeout bags, but I can't find anything good. "Spicy" dijon on my sandwhich is like putting half spicy mayo. This is not what I want. I want to bite into my sandwhich and my body immediately evacuate my sinuses. Please help.

You already know where you can stuff your mustard powder suggestions. I want a squeeze bottle. Thanks in advance.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hadlock posted:

Thread title ready for an update, mayhaps. Preferably with some kind of identifier so I can find it from my bookmarks, along with all the other generically named "General Questions" thread?

GWS: General Questions Thread - Yes, a hotdog is a sandwich

:getin:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I asked earlier in the wrong thread - I am looking for a sinus-clearing mustard for purchase in the US that comes in a squeeze container. Seems like this kind of mustard can be found in single-use packets all over europe, and about 30% of the time in chinese takeout bags, but I can't find anything good. "Spicy" dijon on my sandwhich is like putting half spicy mayo. This is not what I want. I want to bite into my sandwhich and my body immediately evacuate my sinuses. Please help.

You already know where you can stuff your mustard powder suggestions. I want a squeeze bottle. Thanks in advance.

Buy this and stuff your Coleman's mustard and white vinegar in it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hadlock posted:

GWS: General Questions Thread - I Mustard You a Question

I vote for "The Thread"

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hadlock posted:

Mustard is hands down my favorite condiment, and I've never found quite what you're looking for. Coleman's and a general purpose squeeze bottle is your best option (as suggested above), if you really don't want to go the powdered route, then Mister Mustard is probably the best thing I've found that's readily available. But it's still a glass jar and utensil to apply. There are a number of very hot German mustards out there, but you'll probably have to do some serious digging to see what's available (or be willing to order from Amazon and pay a noticeable markup). I also don't know of any that come in a squeeze bottle.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

I vote for "The Thread"

Alternatively: "Thread for posting in" :pcgaming:

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

I've been cooking a lot of sticky rice in a bamboo steamer. I tried adding a chunk of lemongrass to infuse it while steaming and it worked fairly well, and last night I used a few pieces of ginger and that was also good. What else should I try, hopefully something that won't destroy the steamer?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Shooting Blanks posted:

Mustard is hands down my favorite condiment, and I've never found quite what you're looking for. Coleman's and a general purpose squeeze bottle is your best option (as suggested above), if you really don't want to go the powdered route, then Mister Mustard is probably the best thing I've found that's readily available. But it's still a glass jar and utensil to apply. There are a number of very hot German mustards out there, but you'll probably have to do some serious digging to see what's available (or be willing to order from Amazon and pay a noticeable markup). I also don't know of any that come in a squeeze bottle.

Just want to give my two cents and say that Mister Mustard is the best mustard I've ever had, and has been my favorite since I was a wee lad. Actually helped develop my tolerance to spiciness, as well, though it's not overly hot.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I think a lot of German and Korean mustard's come in those smaller squeeze tubes. Not quite the American mustard squeeze bottle though

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 18, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sounds like Mister Mustard is a winner, I'll look into that

Squeeze tube isn't a strict requirement, jar is fine too. It's just, when I mentioned this over in the euro travel thread everyone was falling overthemselves proving that take out resturaunts gave out tiny packets of the stuff, which... isn't very useful for home use on my sandwich as I can glob a tablespoon or more of the stuff on there.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

E Depois do Adeus posted:

I've been cooking a lot of sticky rice in a bamboo steamer. I tried adding a chunk of lemongrass to infuse it while steaming and it worked fairly well, and last night I used a few pieces of ginger and that was also good. What else should I try, hopefully something that won't destroy the steamer?

Some makrut lime leaves would probably be nice n tasty

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hadlock posted:

Sounds like Mister Mustard is a winner, I'll look into that

Squeeze tube isn't a strict requirement, jar is fine too. It's just, when I mentioned this over in the euro travel thread everyone was falling overthemselves proving that take out resturaunts gave out tiny packets of the stuff, which... isn't very useful for home use on my sandwich as I can glob a tablespoon or more of the stuff on there.

Have you considered horseradish and/ or wasabi?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
If you ever get to the Midwest, a suburb of Madison, WI has a mustard museum and shop and a stupid variety to try. There are some great mango habanero mustards that are absolutely beautiful on a sharp cheddar sandwich.
https://mustardmuseum.com/
Edit: with an online store!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Mister Mustard is the king of mustard. Put some in a squeeze bottle, live dangerously.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I have a possibly dumb question - I’m trying to eliminate plastic storage for hot things in my kitchen- what containers are y’all using for soups? I basically want a non plastic version of the quart containers you get from takeout. Bonus points if they stack…

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

taco show posted:

I have a possibly dumb question - I’m trying to eliminate plastic storage for hot things in my kitchen- what containers are y’all using for soups? I basically want a non plastic version of the quart containers you get from takeout. Bonus points if they stack…

You can get some Pyrex containers from IKEA that are sort of stackable but they do have plastic tops for sealing in most cases.

Other options to consider are large glass jars, https://weckjars.com/ and ceramic crocks for that sort of large hot soup-i-ness. Its going to be hard to be stackable and not some form of plastic or plastic adjacent material. However, I do fully support your movement into glass and ceramic for food!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

taco show posted:

It would be pretty silly, but you could get a stack of small hotel pans with lids from a restaurant supply store. It wouldn't be a hard seal on it, though.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you go that direction, looks like there are plenty of "stainless with plastic lid" options that might be more spill resistant. Can't microwave in them, but much more stackable and durable.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I do a lot of canning, so I have a bunch of Bell quart jars, and some reusable plastic lids so I don't have to use up the disposable canning lids. They're not perfect for the task (especially, every time you freeze a jar, there's a small chance it'll crack, even if you don't overfill it), and they don't nest in each other for storage, but they're cheap!

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Will garlic confit be shelf stable in a heat-sealed mason jar?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The science guys will have to weigh in but I think that would need to be pressure canned to avoid botulinum growth.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There's pressure cookin confit in modernist. IDK if it was lack of headroom or what, but never worked for me. The oil would syphon out and I'd basically have an oil pressure cooker going. Scary stuff.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Canning jars come in all sorts of sizes. You can get half gallon ones, which are nice. I also use Glass lock 'tupperware' although they do have plastic lids.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If I were to save pickle juice from empty pickle jars

Would olive brine fit in

(With the intent to pickle bring chicken later on)

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Olive brine is just salt water, there's very little acid to it. Wouldn't be the same thing.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I'm a huge fan of Indian curry, I cook a tonne of it at home, it's what my mum primarily fed us growing up as kids, even though we're not Indian or anywhere near close to being Indian. The food just slaps. Something I've always seen in recipes is "cook until the oil separates". Does this have any scientific basis for being an indication that the underlying ingredients are properly cooked? I just always assumed oil separation happens normally over time, whether or not the underlying stuff is cooked.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Qubee posted:

So I'm a huge fan of Indian curry, I cook a tonne of it at home, it's what my mum primarily fed us growing up as kids, even though we're not Indian or anywhere near close to being Indian. The food just slaps. Something I've always seen in recipes is "cook until the oil separates". Does this have any scientific basis for being an indication that the underlying ingredients are properly cooked? I just always assumed oil separation happens normally over time, whether or not the underlying stuff is cooked.

I thought that happened when most of the free / released liquid from the veggies had cooked off. When you transition from wilting/ steaming to browning.

E: to me it’s more of a flavor / consistency check step rather than a “properly cooked” one.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Quick basil question:

Most every recipe advises discarding the stalks, but would they work in a stock?

Also, how do the leaves respond to being frozen? Could you unfreeze and use them in, say, compound butter?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I can't think of a stock I'd use basil in, since I take a cooks view of bulk items like stock: the more basic it is, the more things you can do with it. If you want basil compound butter, make that and freeze it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stalks work well for simmering in pasta sauce / pizza sauce

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Xander77 posted:

Quick basil question:

Most every recipe advises discarding the stalks, but would they work in a stock?

Also, how do the leaves respond to being frozen? Could you unfreeze and use them in, say, compound butter?

You can freeze them in single layers but an easy and popular way is to wazz them with olive oil and freeze into cubes.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A friend gave me some of her Rancho Gordo beans, which I had never heard of before. Now that I realize how coveted they are I have I’m not sure what to do with them. I’m a lazy cook who never uses dry beans, but I do have an instant pot.

Can I make the half bag in an 8qt instant pot or is that not enough beans?

I’m thinking a bean salad would be a smart move so I can really taste the beans. Are there any gws favorite bean dishes I should attempt with these fancy lil beans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Those white beans are :discourse:

I really liked em pretty simple cooked with mirepoix, garlic and some hearty greens and served in its own broth with a good hunk of crusty bread.