Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

actionjackson posted:

nice thanks

is there anyway to change the color of the blank page? i like new tabs to be blank, but it's a bit bright at night.

I use Perfect Home which lets you set the page colour to whatever you want and use whatever images you want for your shortcuts.

Taken from the extension page with the Settings menu up:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Klyith posted:

the best way is to use the dark theme

you can also use either UserContent.css:
code:
@-moz-document url-prefix(about:blank) {*{background-color:black;}}
or stylus to do it, but the problem is you get a white flash between opening a new tab and the css being applied. dark theme fixedthat.

ok thanks!

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I can't figure out how to try the new pdf-editing feature. FF asks me what to do when I dl the pdf, I select FF from the drop-down menu. A new FF window opens, again with the prompt. It's an endless cycle. Usually I just use Sumatra.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Knormal posted:

Thanks, that's better than having to mess with CSS but I don't get why they'd not just make that button customizable like all the others.

That is a little weird why they won't let you move it. The reason why its there, though, is to support Manifest V3 extensions that need to be toggled for each website.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there an extension that will automatically reload a certain page after x amount of time?

My work outlook webmail has a timeout every so often, so every day I have to do this stupid MFA even though I WFH and live alone. But I dont' want to do anything that would get me in trouble either.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

also do the logs for firefox extensions go to a specific location? can't find it (on a mac). this is for redirector, i checked "enable logging" but i have no idea where those logs go. thanks

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So recently performance tests of FF vs Chrome made the rounds (probably not for the first time): https://www.phoronix.com/news/Firefox-Chrome-109-Benchmarks

At first I was like whatever, it's fast enough, I don't even need to look. But then I thought... if there's a difference in performance, there's also a difference in efficiency and...

Holy poo poo, I tested it and Edge on my Celeron laptop is only half as fast as Firefox on a 13900k. Almost 80% more energy than Edge to do the test as well.

E: forgot to update the screenshot with axis labels, it's CPU power over time in seconds

That's a pretty extreme test but I also tried just reloading the youtube front page four times and it's about 37% more energy. Doesn't matter on the desktop but I think I'll go try Vivaldi on the battery and performance challenged laptop. That's a bummer.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 23, 2023

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

zetamind2000 posted:

The extension manager is there but can be removed with extensions.unifiedExtensions.enabled set to false

I swear, every fourth update of Firefox these days adds something that I immediately have to disable.

This new extension icon is exactly where my bookmarks button used to be, so I've been hitting the wrong thing 99% of the time for the last week before deciding to look up how to turn it off.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

mobby_6kl posted:

So recently performance tests of FF vs Chrome made the rounds (probably not for the first time): https://www.phoronix.com/news/Firefox-Chrome-109-Benchmarks

Christ, I knew things were bad, but didn't know things were that bad... At least we got the Maze Solver thingy.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

mobby_6kl posted:

At first I was like whatever, it's fast enough, I don't even need to look. But then I thought... if there's a difference in performance, there's also a difference in efficiency and...

Holy poo poo, I tested it and Edge on my Celeron laptop is only half as fast as Firefox on a 13900k. Almost 80% more energy than Edge to do the test as well.

E: forgot to update the screenshot with axis labels, it's CPU power over time in seconds

That's a pretty extreme test but I also tried just reloading the youtube front page four times and it's about 37% more energy. Doesn't matter on the desktop but I think I'll go try Vivaldi on the battery and performance challenged laptop. That's a bummer.

Is this an insurmountable lead that Chrome has or could Firefox catch up conceivably?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Im_Special posted:

Christ, I knew things were bad, but didn't know things were that bad... At least we got the Maze Solver thingy.

I really had no idea. I remember MS bragging about Edge giving you better battery life but it's not like I was going to use Edge so I didn't pay much attention.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is this an insurmountable lead that Chrome has or could Firefox catch up conceivably?
I dunno. It's a huge gap, but I'm not a browser enthusiast guy so I don't know exactly where the issue, what it would take to fix it, and if Mozilla has those kinds of resources. I assume it's a pretty well known thing though and if they could've improved it, we wouldn't be here now...

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

A better question is, does it matter once Chrome fucks over ad-blocking?

The real answer is that unless Alphabet is hiding something in their secret sauce that turns Chromium into Chrome, everything is conceivably something that any developer can learn from since Chromium is licensed under 3-clause BSD.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Chrome's V8 javascript engine is absolutely the best in browsers and always has been since they first put it out. It was what made nerds start switching to Chrome back when Chrome was relatively new and Google hadn't started blasting "chrome is faster" popups at everyone who did a web search. Google puts a huge amount of dev into it -- it's not just for chrome, but also android and electron.

mobby_6kl posted:

I dunno. It's a huge gap, but I'm not a browser enthusiast guy so I don't know exactly where the issue, what it would take to fix it, and if Mozilla has those kinds of resources. I assume it's a pretty well known thing though and if they could've improved it, we wouldn't be here now...

Historically Chrome had a massive lead back before the Quantum project, then Mozilla buckled down and did some major work and got closer in javascript, and faster in canvas & CSS rendering. But that was a while ago and chrome has pulled away in javascript again. But note that Firefox is still way ahead in non-JS page rendering now:

So which websites will be faster chrome vs firefox may depend quite a bit on what they're going and the balance of javascript vs normal page layout. Youtube homepage, which is entirely built on javascript? Chrome, definitely. Other websites? I dunno. I just tried going to the nytimes frontpage on both vivaldi and firefox. Load page, then press refresh so both are using cached images, firefox is visibly faster to render the page (and reflow the deleted ad spaces, because I'm using ublock on both).

OTOH for a laptop that cares about battery life, or an underpowered machine that struggles with a heavy web app like youtube, a chromium browser is probably better. Heavy javascript is more of a load than CSS.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

A better question is, does it matter once Chrome fucks over ad-blocking?

No. Chrome is annoying enough with a functional Adblock right now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

wooger posted:

No. Chrome is annoying enough with a functional Adblock right now.
Oh, I absolutely agree - but I was thinking that Chrome loving over ad-blocking might mean that there'll be more Firefox users again, since Mozilla has committed to keeping WebRequest as the powerful API that it is.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If people like the idea of chrome javascript plus adblocking, I highly suggest vivaldi. I still use and like firefox best, but vivaldi is IMO a very close second and if I fully switched over I might even change my mind.

You don't have to worry about the adbloc-alypse any time soon because vivaldi will be keeping manifest v2 working as long as is possible even after google removes it. And the other thing you don't have to worry about is some designer redoing the UI every two years because "curves are in now".

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Klyith posted:

If people like the idea of chrome javascript plus adblocking, I highly suggest vivaldi. I still use and like firefox best, but vivaldi is IMO a very close second and if I fully switched over I might even change my mind.

You don't have to worry about the adbloc-alypse any time soon because vivaldi will be keeping manifest v2 working as long as is possible even after google removes it. And the other thing you don't have to worry about is some designer redoing the UI every two years because "curves are in now".

Can Vivaldi on Android install extensions like uBlock Origin? That's a big reason why I like FF currently.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Splinter posted:

Can Vivaldi on Android install extensions like uBlock Origin? That's a big reason why I like FF currently.

No. Vivaldi has a built-in adblocker, which isn't as good as uBlockO but might hit the "good enough" bar for you. I don't use it on android myself.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Samsung's browser has some ad-block options as well if you want to try something on Android

Klyith posted:

So which websites will be faster chrome vs firefox may depend quite a bit on what they're going and the balance of javascript vs normal page layout. Youtube homepage, which is entirely built on javascript? Chrome, definitely. Other websites? I dunno. I just tried going to the nytimes frontpage on both vivaldi and firefox. Load page, then press refresh so both are using cached images, firefox is visibly faster to render the page (and reflow the deleted ad spaces, because I'm using ublock on both).

OTOH for a laptop that cares about battery life, or an underpowered machine that struggles with a heavy web app like youtube, a chromium browser is probably better. Heavy javascript is more of a load than CSS.
Yes Canvas and that Maze thing seem a lot faster on FF. Youtube though is noticeably slow, you can see it actually takes a few seconds to load on the laptop so every bit helps there.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Klyith posted:

No. Vivaldi has a built-in adblocker, which isn't as good as uBlockO but might hit the "good enough" bar for you. I don't use it on android myself.

Additionally you could use a pi hole or something like NextDNS to do device wide ad blocking.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Just updated to 109, it seems to have made certain fonts more bold than they were previously. In particular the font used for our forum posts and the font used for youtube video info/comments.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SA uses "Roboto", so if you don't have it locally installed you could see if doing that fixes it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I upgraded my setup including getting larger screens, and am having the issue of FF UI text being way too small. I increased the layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to fix this and it did work - but it makes actual webpages look really weird/bad to me (specifically images/videos, text or CSS-elements look fine). I usually control those with regular zoom, which looks much much better to my eyes. Might be I just landed on a weird multiplier or something but ideally I would want to control the UI and page sizes completely separately. Is there any way to do this?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

astral posted:

SA uses "Roboto", so if you don't have it locally installed you could see if doing that fixes it.

This did not fix it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Insurrectionist posted:

I upgraded my setup including getting larger screens, and am having the issue of FF UI text being way too small. I increased the layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to fix this and it did work - but it makes actual webpages look really weird/bad to me (specifically images/videos, text or CSS-elements look fine). I usually control those with regular zoom, which looks much much better to my eyes. Might be I just landed on a weird multiplier or something but ideally I would want to control the UI and page sizes completely separately. Is there any way to do this?

The UI text is all inherited from OS settings. To change only in firefox without changing the OS settings, you could use userchrome. First you need to enable userschome, then here is a reddit thread with some decent answers.

Also if you want to make UI elements bigger in general:
Alt+V, Toolbars -> Customize Toolbar...
At the bottom of the customize screen, pick the "Density" dropdown and choose Touch

But as a note, if you want any other programs to have non-tiny UI as well you should just change windows DPI settings.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If you type "text size" into Windows search bar, it should bring up options to "Make text bigger" and "Make everything bigger" which might help.

I also use a program called System Font Size Changer which lets you customise a lot of stuff Windows used to let you do easily.

Remember when we used to be able to do this:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 29, 2023

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Thanks for the tips!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Freakazoid_ posted:

Just updated to 109, it seems to have made certain fonts more bold than they were previously. In particular the font used for our forum posts and the font used for youtube video info/comments.
What OS?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Knormal posted:

What OS?

windows 10

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I have 109 on W10 and didn't notice anything.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Remember when we used to be able to do this:

it's so goddamn stupid that they keep removing useful poo poo

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Freakazoid_ posted:

You get fixed today:

ghacks posted:

Firefox 109.0.1. addresses a font rendering issues affecting certain Windows configurations. The issue affects Firefox 109 and newer and is taken care of in the point release. Mozilla attempted to improve DirectWrite font rendering on Windows, but it seems to have had an undesirable side effect for some configurations. The previous behavior is restored in Firefox 109.0.1.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
oh yes that's much better, I'm glad it wasn't just me going insane

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I suffered from more youtube slowdowns, as in: the video page loads pretty quick, then it plays like 1 second of video, then it freezes for... a long time, let's say 10 seconds, then it switches to potato quality.

It's probably something about my setup/extensions at this point because no way can this be wide spread and nobody else is complaining about it.

Anyway, this time I was able to maybe fix it by blocking the service worker on youtube.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Alternatively, it's YouTube doing A/B testing on portions of their users and you were randomly selected for sampling.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Alternatively, it's YouTube doing A/B testing on portions of their users and you were randomly selected for sampling.

That actually happened to me once. I was opted in to an A/B test that straight up broke Youtube in Firefox. I know that's what was going on because I was getting a different JS bundle when logged in vs logged out. After I used the "Send Feedback" function to tell Youtube their poo poo was broken I suddenly started getting the same JS bundle as I was when logged out and everything magically started working again.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
A lot of websites, news sites in particular, do this annoying thing where there's a video up top and when you scroll down to read the article the video gets put into the bottom right corner as a pseudo-pip.

What extension do I need to nuke this poo poo from existence? There is no situation in which I want a video I didn't press play on to automatically turn into pip mode the moment I scroll down.

E: Or even videos I do press play on now that I think about it. If I wanted to watch the video I'd watch it. I'd open up a new tab or window or something. So if there's an extension to nuke all of this from orbit that would be rad.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Boris Galerkin posted:

What extension do I need to nuke this poo poo from existence?

UBlock Origin’s block element functionality should help.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Be sure to enable the cosmetic filtering if it's disabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Nalin posted:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1757482
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/t3kusc/improve_performance_on_sites_with_embedded/

Looks like they are considering tweaking the iframe stuff again because Twitter is still bad. But, that reddit thread ALSO shows that they added a new about :config option to control the embedded iframe loading so you don't need to use any sort of CSS hacks or disable browser features.

Just set layout.oopif_activity_grace_period_ms to something like 10000 to give it 10 seconds of grace period (it defaults to 1000, 1s).

EDIT: BTW, the cause of this whole mess is that Firefox is throttling iframes that aren't visible on the page as a battery saving mechanic for laptops and mobile devices. Twitter embeds decide to load themselves entirely in the background and only go visible once they are fully loaded. The 1 second grace period was added as a workaround for stuff like this. If you are on a mobile device, maybe increasing it to 2 or 3 seconds would be better, but if you are on a desktop you can just set that value to a minute and never worry about it ever again.

Quoting to bookmark so I don't have to scroll through 1000 pages trying to find it every time I need it