Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Dang that bullet must have been travelling at least 10mph

Another Bill posted:

You're Physical Media is a Piece of poo poo

This is all that was left of that Agent Smith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

This is what happens when you ignore the signs around the boating lake NO STANDING IN BOATS

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

NoneMoreNegative posted:

This is what happens when you ignore the signs around the boating lake NO STANDING IN BOATS

omg the Marriott joke!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

your dog looks sick

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

did anyone else watch that episode of doctor who where the guy's lady friend gets melted by aliens and turns into a face in a paving stone and they make a joke at the end that she/it blows him

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can't remember the last time I used a self checkout with that feature enabled

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
the grocery i go to only has a few stores, and it was really jarring to get bitched at by the machine the first time i used their self checkout. it had been awhile since i heard one doing that

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

haveblue posted:

i can. and kelly doesn't forget.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

haveblue posted:

never used one that didnt

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the one i go to screams at me about unexpected items if i put my cloth bag on the output zone before i start. i have to pile all the groceries there and then bag them after paying. it sucks rear end

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I go out of my way to not use them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

Every singe one of them. Thankfully it seems that they tuned them well enough that they generally work fine nowadays.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
they pretty much all do that but the grocery store ones are the goddamn worst

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's the future though. every store and restaurant is going to be slow buggy robots and laggy touchscreens and you will have to do all the work yourself while the company raises prices and vacuums up the money they would have otherwise had to pay to cashiers. loving hate it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and while we're at it holy hell i hate qr code menus. if i go to a restaurant and the menu is a qr code and the ordering has to be done through their website on my phone while i'm sitting twenty feet from the kitchen, and i'm not with anyone else, i will just leave

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i don't go to sit-down restaurants by myself, it feels weird

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

it's the future though. every store and restaurant is going to be slow buggy robots and laggy touchscreens and you will have to do all the work yourself while the company raises prices and vacuums up the money they would have otherwise had to pay to cashiers. loving hate it

also the clerks who are kept around as human robots to tend to the lovely checkout robots and working the most boring, degrading job you could imagine. i've noticed that these clerks don't have a stool or anything so i assume they're not allowed to sit down during their shift

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sapozhnik posted:

i don't go to sit-down restaurants by myself, it feels weird

I'm still not a fan of going to them because we are still in a pandemic that is killing roughly 4000 people a week in this country but the lovely government needs people to die for capitalism.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

also the clerks who are kept around as human robots to tend to the lovely checkout robots and working the most boring, degrading job you could imagine. i've noticed that these clerks don't have a stool or anything so i assume they're not allowed to sit down during their shift

yeah it's going to be like this video from the 50s about an entirely automated burger restaurant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmXLqImT1wE

everything is done by machines and robots! also one black guy in the back who the customers never interact with or even see! robots!

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 26, 2023

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sagebrush posted:

did anyone else watch that episode of doctor who where the guy's lady friend gets melted by aliens and turns into a face in a paving stone and they make a joke at the end that she/it blows him

literally the worst episode ever made, which is saying something

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

one of the nearby aldis recently put in a self-checkout thing, which was weird to me. it's brand new so it's half as permissive and twice as annoying as the chain groceries who have had them for a decade by now.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Roosevelt posted:

they don't have the chance to sit down because they're watching 20+ machines at once and have to constantly help confused old people or age-check people buying booze

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
it was pretty funny when they banned plastic bags here because suddenly nobody could use the self-checkouts

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Sagebrush posted:

Christ they were in an ELO cover band.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

graph posted:

The Target ones don't give a poo poo what you do. And at Lowe's there's a scanner wand on a long cord so I just lazily wave it over my cart, drop a sweaty $5 on the floor and walk out.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sagebrush posted:

a face in a paving stone and they make a joke at the end that she/it blows him

A Concrete Slob :mmmhmm:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

A Concrete Slob :mmmhmm:

the correct term is "paving slag"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lmao

graph posted:

lol so on the weekend I had to buy some stuff from hardware store and it came to about $140 and I was using my partners card and this particular checkout doesn’t weigh stuff like a supermarket because idk it’s a hardware store. so scanned card and then came home

and later on she asked me if I used her card or mine because she couldn’t see the transaction on her bank app so I checked mine and wasn’t there either so I went to look at the receipt to see if I could glean a clue as to what card was used and I read the receipt and see the line “declined”..

lol she’d given me the wrong card, a card with no money on it, and I just scanned and left with the goods for free

as far as I am concerned, the big australian owned hardware place didn’t do their job of making sure I paid so it’s their fault I got the stuff for free

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

echinopsis posted:

lmao

lol so on the weekend I had to buy some stuff from hardware store and it came to about $140 and I was using my partners card and this particular checkout doesn’t weigh stuff like a supermarket because idk it’s a hardware store. so scanned card and then came home

and later on she asked me if I used her card or mine because she couldn’t see the transaction on her bank app so I checked mine and wasn’t there either so I went to look at the receipt to see if I could glean a clue as to what card was used and I read the receipt and see the line “declined”..

lol she’d given me the wrong card, a card with no money on it, and I just scanned and left with the goods for free

as far as I am concerned, the big australian owned hardware place didn’t do their job of making sure I paid so it’s their fault I got the stuff for free

Praxis

Even knowing it was a mistake just the image of someone swiping a card, having it decline, and then leaving with the goods is really loving funny

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Roosevelt posted:

i've never seen a cashier be allowed to use a chair or stool anywhere. always surprises me when i see a picture of a cashier sitting down in other countries. even doing the very american habit of leaning gets you a "time to lean time to clean"

don't get me wrong, this sucks, let cashiers sit imo

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gnossiennes posted:

i've never seen a cashier be allowed to use a chair or stool anywhere. always surprises me when i see a picture of a cashier sitting down in other countries. even doing the very american habit of leaning gets you a "time to lean time to clean"

don't get me wrong, this sucks, let cashiers sit imo
I think Aldi does but they also reportedly treat their cashiers in complete poo poo in other ways

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
its hard to sit and be a supermarket cashier cause of all the reaching and so forth. I mean obvy they should be able to but my dim memories of doing that job tells me that sitting would have been awkward.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
that was like decades ago so its certainly possible im not remembering right

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think it's common in other countries though? Maybe somehow the stuff is set up in a way that would make that hard in most stores in the us, but it seems like there's no inherent reason the cashiers couldn't sit, and maybe just americans don't like that it when cashiers are sitting (I guess because they're standing?)

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 26, 2023

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mystes
May 31, 2006

I thought you had just done that in paint or something for a second but is that actual graffiti?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lol