Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Xalidur posted:

I was inspired by earlier posts in this thread and made a Shifter/Bleak Walker. Not only is it incredibly strong at the start of the game, it's just really really fun to play. Actually feels like a true hybrid/do-it-all class. Even if it falls off a bit when legendary weapons and armor start doing work for the rest of the party, the early game is the hardest part anyway other than the Forgotten Sanctum where having a superb healbot is a good idea anyway.

Glad to hear you're having fun with it. Autoscaling weapons and armors is one of those double-edged swords. On one hand, multiclass do just as well with autoscaling gear since it scales off of experience level and not power level, plus you don't have to pay the gold and material costs to upgrade your gear. On the other, you can sometimes find and purchase high quality gear at earlier points in the game that's better than what your summoned/spiritshifted gear is leveled at. For instance, you can purchase Stalker's Patience after grinding some expert Principi and Vailian ship fights and have an excellent legendary weapon as soon as leaving Neketaka. Actual equipable weapons on a properly specced weapon damage build in most cases will have a higher ceiling just due to the unique effects that are attached to weapons, but the fact that summoned and spiritshifted gear allows casters to more than hold their own in melee combat on top of their spellcasting is amazing. I give kudos to the game for making this part of the spellcasting kit actually viable and fun.

Captainicus posted:

I made my main character in turn-based a forbidden fist/black jacket for a frontline tank but I think forbidden fist is better for a more specialized character focused on offense so your huge forbidden punches don't miss, with a single one handed weapon for accuracy and crit-conversion. It is ok for handing out enfeebles every other turn though. I think I'll use console mod and make him a regular monk so he can have tons of wounds for blade turning and bonds of suffering.

Forbidden Fist is so hard to build. I've tried and abandoned it 3 times with variations of single and multiclass. When I go FF, my goal is to build around and maximize usage of the Forbidden Fist ability to the point where I can just safely spam it as my auto-attack, which means getting the Forbidden Curse debuff duration lower than my attack and recovery speed. The problem is that this is super super variable due to the fact that Forbidden Curse scales with power level and then the multitude of monk abilities that change your action speed, hostile effect duration, and intellect. How well I could pull this off changed level by level and I was always swapping heavier and lighter armors to zero back in on my FF spam. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that you can't respec attributes so you kind of have to go in blind and play it by ear to see what exact combo of buffs and gear will go along with your stats. Another wrinkle in all of this is that the Forbidden Fist ability is technically keyed as a special spell ability, so it doesn't use your weapon attributes like say Soul Annihilation FYI and also doesn't count as a melee ability in terms of proccing free attacks from Swift Flurry/Heartbeat Drumming (at least in vanilla, I believe the community and balance patches make changes to this).

Honestly, I think at this point I'm ready to let go of trying to uber optimize this subclass or build for endless FF ability spam. I still like it and I love the fact that there's a tank option available to monks. Forbidden Fist is still plenty strong, and I think one of the simplest and effective ways to make use of their unique wound generation is to just wear a push/pull immunity accessory and having a Blood Mage constantly casting Pull of Eora on top of them and then come out of it with a grip of wounds while enemies are tossed around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'm also 99% sure that in the community patch FF can proc Swift Flurry Heartbeat Drumming. I did a FF monk once with a rather silly build (I dumped resolve, forgetting during character creation that I actually wanted that high to get the FF stack gone faster) and it was pretty great. Just doing FF every other attack is fine IMO. Also a big part of why FF is great isn't actually the damage, but that it interrupts on hit. I think I killed the dragon in Beast of Winter by interrupting it with FF every time it tried to cast Safeguard. Plus interrupting a slow recovery enemy just as they're about to do something feels great in general. You can do the same with crossbows of course, but with much slower action speed.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Xalidur posted:

I was inspired by earlier posts in this thread and made a Shifter/Bleak Walker. Not only is it incredibly strong at the start of the game, it's just really really fun to play. Actually feels like a true hybrid/do-it-all class. Even if it falls off a bit when legendary weapons and armor start doing work for the rest of the party, the early game is the hardest part anyway other than the Forgotten Sanctum where having a superb healbot is a good idea anyway.

Shifter/Bleak Walker rules and is everything I wanted out of an evil Pillars character ❤️

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've hit the same problem with my run that I seem to always hit with PoE

When the world opens up and I can go do stuff...I just don't feel any motivation to do any of it? I don't care about the Pirates, the Eothas problem seems so big that I don't know what I can do about it, but it also seems like having a massive loving titan stomping around Deadfire should be dealt with immediately, rather than letting me level up, do a bunch of bounties, recruit a bunch of randoms for my crew, solve some bullshit conflict between two families...

The Eothas problem just doesn't feel legitimate in contrast with what it seems like versus what the game lets me do.

And I don't like any of the factions. So I'm not inspired or motivated to help any of them.

I love the gameplay, the RPG system, the world and the lore, I just lack..."narrative motivation" I guess.

Baldur's Gate 2 kinda has this when you can go do a million sidequests while Imoen rots in Spellhold, but you still vaguely feel like you're working towards something. Even if you've got the 20 (or 15...) thousand gold, it still feels worthwhile to grab more levels to deal with Spellhold. A 60 foot, adra titan stomping through the ocean looks insurmountable even if I go do a bunch of bounties first.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
In my case I usually lose steam from feeling overwhelmed by all the content and getting indecisive about what to pursue when and just stop playing because I either feel like I can't make progress or what progress I do make is a drop in the bucket. Sandboxes are not my thing in game.

That or I think of another concept for a character I want to try and get distracted and then get tired of revisiting the same old content and just can't stick with my previous characters for whatever reason.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

H13 posted:

I've hit the same problem with my run that I seem to always hit with PoE

When the world opens up and I can go do stuff...I just don't feel any motivation to do any of it? I don't care about the Pirates, the Eothas problem seems so big that I don't know what I can do about it, but it also seems like having a massive loving titan stomping around Deadfire should be dealt with immediately, rather than letting me level up, do a bunch of bounties, recruit a bunch of randoms for my crew, solve some bullshit conflict between two families...

The Eothas problem just doesn't feel legitimate in contrast with what it seems like versus what the game lets me do.

And I don't like any of the factions. So I'm not inspired or motivated to help any of them.

I love the gameplay, the RPG system, the world and the lore, I just lack..."narrative motivation" I guess.

Baldur's Gate 2 kinda has this when you can go do a million sidequests while Imoen rots in Spellhold, but you still vaguely feel like you're working towards something. Even if you've got the 20 (or 15...) thousand gold, it still feels worthwhile to grab more levels to deal with Spellhold. A 60 foot, adra titan stomping through the ocean looks insurmountable even if I go do a bunch of bounties first.

Isn't the motivation supposed to be, "figure out what you can do so you don't die (again)"?

In PoE 1, the motivation was "figure out how to not go insane." Which came right after, "figure out how to get those berries and water so you don't poo poo yourself"

So, I guess that's an escalation path.

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 26, 2023

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
They don't really emphasize the danger with some of your soul missing. I'd say there's very little justification not to go to Hasango early but then Eothas tells you he's just going to chill in Magran's Teeth for a while and then you need to check some faction boxes to get to Ukaizo.

I've had some runs stall out at Neketaka. This time I got out of there asap and only take the city bit by bit.

One odd thing about the game I've been thinking about is how absurdly rare, necessary, and valuable a few specific resources are. Adra Ban is a famous bottleneck. I remember looting ten spices and going "hell yeah!" because spices are required for a bunch of good foods. I'm still looking for 3 vithrak brains and at this point I think I'll be on the second dlc before I get them.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Is there a way to do the Drowned Barrows area without killing a bunch of people. Sort of feels weird killing a bunch of dwarves for the crime of being brainwashed by their own village, save the one that someone bothered to ask you to save…

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
how come no avowed footage at the xbox direct today >:(

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Is there a way to do the Drowned Barrows area without killing a bunch of people. Sort of feels weird killing a bunch of dwarves for the crime of being brainwashed by their own village, save the one that someone bothered to ask you to save…

If you go through the mountain's mouth you only have to do one fight before talking to Nemnok

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
A Barbarian with Leap also makes sneaking much easier. If you didn't go the Cipher route with Serafen he can jump around in stealth, spot all the patrolling sentries, and guide the rest of the part through in Stealth.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Those Dwarves are assholes though. The scribe upstairs always attacks me even when I say I'm gonna leave. so gently caress em imo

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Yeah I just decided I’m supposed to think all those dwarves are naturally stupid and deserve death, as this game sometimes asks me to consider

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
If those dwarves wanted to live they shouldn't have built their base in a giant skull and filled it with treasure.

You could probably sneak through the first stage and then make an agreement to give the imp some grimoires. Everyone is happy!

There was an implication that human sacrifice was happening or something but it turns out, no, everything is very reasonable in the lava skull cave and imp-worship is a better form of governance than pretty much anything else we see in the game. There are even a bunch of PR notes about kith and wilder respecting each other's boundaries and getting along for the greater good of collecting arcane knowledge for their wise and benevolent God.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mr. Prokosch posted:

If those dwarves wanted to live they shouldn't have built their base in a giant skull and filled it with treasure.

You could probably sneak through the first stage and then make an agreement to give the imp some grimoires. Everyone is happy!

There was an implication that human sacrifice was happening or something but it turns out, no, everything is very reasonable in the lava skull cave and imp-worship is a better form of governance than pretty much anything else we see in the game. There are even a bunch of PR notes about kith and wilder respecting each other's boundaries and getting along for the greater good of collecting arcane knowledge for their wise and benevolent God.

There's also a note about Nemnok torturing a dwarf to death so it's not all sunshine in there

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The group of enemies I feel most sorry for is the mama bear and her cubs in that cave at the beginning of POE1. Just minding their business and trying to hibernate, unaware that they're about to be massacred because they're considered the early benchmark fight for POTD difficulty.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

moot the hopple posted:

The group of enemies I feel most sorry for is the mama bear and her cubs in that cave at the beginning of POE1. Just minding their business and trying to hibernate, unaware that they're about to be massacred because they're considered the early benchmark fight for POTD difficulty.

Lemme tell you about the Xvarts in BG1.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

moot the hopple posted:

As I get older, I am definitely finding more and more situations in RPGs where I'll be looting the bodies and feel like:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Maybe my bigger hurdle in getting behind that quest is that there’s like twice as many dwarves in the skull dungeon than in the tiny village outside of it.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Every village has like six people in it, you just have to assume there's thousands of people just off screen.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Bobby Deluxe posted:

As I get older, I am definitely finding more and more situations in RPGs where I'll be looting the bodies and feel like:

"Are we the baddies?" my Woedican party members ask each other while trying to ignore the strangling motif prevalent in our religion

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.

moot the hopple posted:

"Are we the baddies?" my Woedican party members ask each other while trying to ignore the strangling motif prevalent in our religion

Kinkshaming Woedicans is a good way to learn why that motif exists.

I caught up on the thread and honestly, I liked the fact that Eothas was unwavering. I'd feel talking him down would feel very gamey, after all, you're dealing with a self-made god and you're a mortal. It's like talking down SHODAN.

Ditto on the bad guys issue. I remember playing Alpha Protocol as Hobo Thorton, killing everyone I could, using the bloody options when possible, and when the game stopped to show how whatsername's death in Rome deeply affected Hobo Thorton, I was taken aback. Here's a guy who murdered a good several hundred people, executed a Russian teenager with a shot to the face and deliberately allowed Taiwanese riots to spiral out of control to revel in the bloodshed... And suddenly he cares?

It gets worse in games where you're the nominal good guy, but wind up slaughtering hundreds of people by the endgame - and yet the guy who killed a couple dozen, not even out of malice, but as collateral damage or something similar, is the irredeemable villain.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tagaziel posted:

It gets worse in games where you're the nominal good guy, but wind up slaughtering hundreds of people by the endgame - and yet the guy who killed a couple dozen, not even out of malice, but as collateral damage or something similar, is the irredeemable villain.

If you give Maia poo poo about her assassination mission she calls you out for being the murder hobo that you are.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.

Ginette Reno posted:

If you give Maia poo poo about her assassination mission she calls you out for being the murder hobo that you are.

See, this is why I love Maia.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I wish I'd used Maia more, but I figured with games this size I really only have time for one playthrough (playing a few hours a night after everyone's in bed, assuming I've done my Destiny 2 chores), and I really wanted to triple Mercer. Usual party was me (chanter cipher), Eder, Serafen, Teheku (after I finally found him) and Aloth.

Probably should have used Pallegina a lot more. Same with Xoti, I wasn't really sure which characters were fully fledged characters and which were the pickup sidekicks with nothing to say during most of the quests.

E: sorry, ranged cipher, not chanter.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 27, 2023

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
What’s the console command to get rid of fog of war? I’m 99% sure there is one because I’ve beaten this game and I wouldn’t have if I had to keep dealing with fog of war. It ain’t NoFog, that was for the first one.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Nigmaetcetera posted:

What’s the console command to get rid of fog of war? I’m 99% sure there is one because I’ve beaten this game and I wouldn’t have if I had to keep dealing with fog of war. It ain’t NoFog, that was for the first one.

Fog

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Silly me, thanks a bunch.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

It's really hard to find vithrack brains outside of the Wael expansion, it seems? Similarly true for trollskin.

Unrelated but if I had to put a thesis to why Deadfire didn't sell well, it'd probably that the game went with pollaxes over pollarms, and had only 2 unique pollaxes.

Also I wish there was a bit more synergy between melee-weapon-and-gun type loadouts, given the setting/style.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

It's really hard to find vithrack brains outside of the Wael expansion, it seems? Similarly true for trollskin.

Unrelated but if I had to put a thesis to why Deadfire didn't sell well, it'd probably that the game went with pollaxes over pollarms, and had only 2 unique pollaxes.

Also I wish there was a bit more synergy between melee-weapon-and-gun type loadouts, given the setting/style.

If you wait a certain amount of time the component shops will randomly generate new inventory. So going to like Cuzitli's shop in Periki's Overlook and waiting can get you new parts if you need them.

I forget the exact amount of time needed for their inventory to change. Might be 24 in game hours, might be longer. But it's definitely a thing.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I popped in to a few of the shops over the campaign and didn't find any. I think some items like that aren't on the shop item tables.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Adra Ban isn't for sale, but that's probably a bug and the gem lady by the palace should sell it with all the other gems. It seems there was a level gating thing that wasn't fully implemented. The community patch puts it back on her sell list. The spice lady (???) by the bathhouse sells vithrak brains and maybe troll skin but the brains are a super rare restock. I bought them from her once and checked maybe ten times. Also Dark Cupboard sells some crafting stuff like the essences.

I did have a shortage of troll skins for a while but there are some trolls to kill.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I think I'm going to abandon my Unbroken/Priest of Woedica run now that I know the proof of concept works after hitting max level and getting all the gear for it. I was more interested in seeing the viability of the build and I'm pretty satisfied that a priest multi can work even though I'm admittedly predisposed to disliking it.

Now I have a gimmicky idea for a custom party that's a gang of paladins from different paladin orders who are nonetheless joined together in a deeply dysfunctional codependency.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Are there any moments in the game where we see a group using slave labor?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Are there any moments in the game where we see a group using slave labor?

Crookspur slavers use slaves as part of their crew.

Do the Roparu count? They cannot be bought or sold, but certainly meet other requirements of slavery.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Servetus posted:

Crookspur slavers use slaves as part of their crew.

Do the Roparu count? They cannot be bought or sold, but certainly meet other requirements of slavery.

Was more referring to the slaves out of Crookspur.

Just seemed like a bit of worldbuilding gap that all the factions are in some way involved or get involved in Crookspur as a quest, but it's never clear who's using the slave labor.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ginette Reno posted:

Sure, but Maia is a fascist piece of poo poo.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I think Crookspur is primarily a transportation hub. The Republics are really into slavery but don't have plantations, the RDC does but they don't practice chattel slavery, only indentured servitude and drafted labor. I don't think there's a world map though so I don't know where they're transporting them to or from.

The slavers attack you with more aggression than pirates, so they must be capturing slaves from ships. Maybe they get slaves from the Deadfire and sell them in the slave states? This was definitely a thing in real history, "Blackbirders" would kidnap Islanders and force them to work the ship, then sell them as slaves. But that's illegal for the Huana and they don't seem to be doing it on a large scale.

It's definitely not clear what the slaves are used for. Not everyone can do dramatic gladiatorial battles.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Sure, but Maia is a fascist piece of poo poo.

She is. She feels guilty about it but it doesn't stop her from still doing it.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I think Crookspur is primarily a transportation hub. The Republics are really into slavery but don't have plantations, the RDC does but they don't practice chattel slavery, only indentured servitude and drafted labor. I don't think there's a world map though so I don't know where they're transporting them to or from.

The slavers attack you with more aggression than pirates, so they must be capturing slaves from ships. Maybe they get slaves from the Deadfire and sell them in the slave states? This was definitely a thing in real history, "Blackbirders" would kidnap Islanders and force them to work the ship, then sell them as slaves. But that's illegal for the Huana and they don't seem to be doing it on a large scale.

It's definitely not clear what the slaves are used for. Not everyone can do dramatic gladiatorial battles.

The sense I got was that it was this. They capture the slaves, sell them elsewhere, and the Huana are mostly too busy dealing with the trading companies to stop it. Ruatai also knows about the slavers but will do nothing either until they feel like stopping the slavers will have a direct benefit on themselves. And the Valians are actively working with the slavers.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When I get around to finishing my Rogue Dwarf run I'll probably side with the Principi as I'm rping as a rogue/pirate with a heart of gold. Very swashbuckly.