Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It wasn't so bad when it was current. It was difficult for an alliance raid for sure, but I chain ran that place for glams/whatever and never timed out. Wiped now and then, yeah, because he definitely had mechanics that if one party failed, it would cascade hard throughout. At the time you still had a pool of competent players doing it, but when Shadowbringers came out they went away and that's when he became a hard wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

That fight got nerfed twice*, iirc. The second nerf came in 5.3ish, well into ShB patches. I had the good fortune of seeing it a few times before that patch went out and it was brutal. Just one or two people out of place could wipe the raid. It was possible to recover if all the healers were 100% prepared, but if any one of the parties flatlined, it was game over. Nowadays, the raidwide "someone goofed" damage is a nuisance, but easily survivable.

*It's possible I misremembered or was given false information, I joined right before the free trial became unrestricted, and cleared ARR like a week after pre-HW flying was enabled, which I think was 5.2.

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 26, 2023

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Alliance raids are probably my favorite content because they're willing to throw as many curveball mechanics at you as Extremes/Savage raids but without the 'if anyone fucks up you wipe immediately' caveat.

I've been chain running the ShB ARs for glamour/orch rolls and they're still a ton of fun while also being absolute chaos.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 26, 2023

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

iPodschun posted:

From what I've been told, when the third SB alliance raid released there were groups that could not beat the third boss within the instance time limit. That fight has since been nerfed and we get an Echo bonus for the whole alliance raid.

Can confirm, Ivalice's third raid third boss was a right fucker. One of my proudest FFXIV moments at the time was making it through that fight at launch, having JUST made it to level cap and caught up with content. It was terrifying and exhilarating for a newbie!

They've since toned down the mechanics so that one or two people not getting on the spot/getting off the spot will kill the poo poo out of everyone, which is probably for the best. It's still a very exciting fight, just not as rear end-clenching as it once was.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

FeatherFloat posted:

They've since toned down the mechanics so that one or two people not getting on the spot/getting off the spot will kill the poo poo out of everyone, which is probably for the best. It's still a very exciting fight, just not as rear end-clenching as it once was.

I do wonder if they’ll nerf EW’s first alliance raid eventually, since that also is one of the few with a mechanic that can wipe everyone if one person is in the wrong spot.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That's just a bad mechanic and egregious even compared to other mechanics that can wipe parties.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

hopeandjoy posted:

I do wonder if they’ll nerf EW’s first alliance raid eventually, since that also is one of the few with a mechanic that can wipe everyone if one person is in the wrong spot.

I think it does have enough leeway for 2-3 people to be on the wrong side? Could be wrong.

I have seen it below 10% hp going into that mechanic, though, so I wonder if groups will start skipping it once we have the final ilevel Endwalker gear.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it'll probably hard cap at 0.1% until the mechanic finishes

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

FuturePastNow posted:

I have seen it below 10% hp going into that mechanic, though, so I wonder if groups will start skipping it once we have the final ilevel Endwalker gear.
Premade groups were already able to skip that phase in 6.1. The boss goes untargetable at about 4:50 and there are clears as fast as 4:13.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Alliance raids are too long imo.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

Alliance raids are too long imo.

Agreed, I want more, deadlier mechanics, faster.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I met the famous Math Bot and have come to the conclusion that none of the bosses in the lighthouse feel good to fight.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

I met the famous Math Bot and have come to the conclusion that none of the bosses in the lighthouse feel good to fight.

I love fighting Yiazmat because his VA chews the scenery.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Empire is a cancer! And I am the barber's blade!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I love all the bosses in that raid. All three of the Ivalice raids have the best boss voice acting.

Scream louder! I want to remember this!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ultima has set the bar for final boss that all others aspire to. It was lovely.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Arist posted:

The Empire is a cancer! And I am the barber's blade!

LIKE A KNIFE THRU BUTTAH

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Someone in a Ridorana run said they can only hear the one Yiazmat line as AGONY... AND SYRUP! and now I can't unhear it either

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

Someone in a Ridorana run said they can only hear the one Yiazmat line as AGONY... AND SYRUP! and now I can't unhear it either

AGONY AND SBARRO'S

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Okay, fine, I'll queue for Rabanastre today.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

rabanasty featuring hashmal, bringer of pain

shame bkk roulette never dumps me in those; only replacing insta-quits in lota

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Do you have to engage in grinding gear/faction/attunements/whatever for current expansion MSQ content?

Love the Final Fantasy nostalgia drip feed, hate MMO bullshit.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
nope

e: the most basic gear you can get from a vendor at the very start of each new expansion (or that is given to you as MSQ quest rewards) is only very slightly worse than the absolute top-end grind-hardest-content-in-the-game-for-weeks gear from the previous expansion, and only gets better from there.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 29, 2023

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Gearing is only a thing if you want to do endgame non-MSQ or otherwise story relevant optional hard content, which not everyone does.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Cool thanks.

This game has phenomenal music.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You can't do absolutely nothing or you won't hit breakpoints for patch dungeons, but you should be able to make up the difference just with the stuff you can buy for poetics as you go. Current-end content is a little different, but worry about that when you get there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Alxprit posted:

You can't do absolutely nothing or you won't hit breakpoints for patch dungeons, but you should be able to make up the difference just with the stuff you can buy for poetics as you go. Current-end content is a little different, but worry about that when you get there.

To be clear, this is "I might need to run a few dungeons before going onward" as opposed to "I need to grind limited materials for a month".

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Wheeee posted:

Do you have to engage in grinding gear/faction/attunements/whatever for current expansion MSQ content?

Love the Final Fantasy nostalgia drip feed, hate MMO bullshit.

Literally the only thing you'd need to even mildly concern yourself with is, when brand new MSQ patches come out, maybe doing some of the current dungeons or normal-mode raids to get some gear for your ilvl. But honestly, if you're enjoying the game, you probably would've already done a bunch of that anyways. Can't remember the last time a patch dropped and I wasn't already at the required ilvl just from doing casual stuff.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I believe the highest item level required for any of the current casual story content stuff is the latest alliance raid, which apparently needs item level 595 to queue for.

For comparison, the current endgame gear sources are:
L610: crafted - normal raid
L620: crafted + unlimited tomestones - alliance raid - limited tomestones
L630: limited tomestones + hunts, alliance raid or savage raid - savage raid drops

Weapons have some additional sources for 615, 625 and 635 versions.

Getting 610 should just be a matter of asking some goon crafter nicely if you're in one of the FCs, or just buying it if you have 2M gil to spare. If you just want 595 then maybe buy some specific pieces if random drops haven't been nice enough.

Getting 620 is I suppose grindy if you want it immediately and try to get all the tomestones you need to upgrade a crafted set in a day, but unlimited tomestones aren't hard to come by if you spread it out a little. The middling dungeon roulettes reward enough to augment ~2 items/run.

Getting 630 has a pretty hard weekly limit on how much you can do. Limited tomestones cap after 4-5 dungeons/week, the augmentation item requires 2 alliance raids/week (or a bunch of hunts). Also savage raid drops, but if you're considering savage you probably know all this.

Gearing is not a very grindy activity even if you decide to go for broke. The grinds that are in the game tend to be more for the "casual" stuff, like fishing, triple triad, hunts, etc.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah I just hit Endwalker endgame and I got reasonably well geared just by doing normal mode raid content. I will probably need to run things more if I want to get savage / extreme ready but I still have patch MSQ and the alliance series ahead of me which will probably get me the gear I need

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Thanks again for more detailed answers!

I’m cool with queued content, small-group coop stuff is one of my favourite ways to zone out with video games, was mostly wondering if I was going to end up having to do attunement grinds and join a guild raid team to see story content.

I did my time raiding with regular groups in EQ and WoW as a dipshit kid, as a dipshit adult I don’t have the patience for that anymore.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Yeah, FFXIV is by design meant to not punish people who play super casually unless you opt into Savage and Ultimate content (where it's more that the fights are complex enough that it takes a lot of practice and coordination to complete). The devs have actually said they expect some portion of people to hop on only for major patches so they design around that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Thanks again for more detailed answers!

I’m cool with queued content, small-group coop stuff is one of my favourite ways to zone out with video games, was mostly wondering if I was going to end up having to do attunement grinds and join a guild raid team to see story content.

I did my time raiding with regular groups in EQ and WoW as a dipshit kid, as a dipshit adult I don’t have the patience for that anymore.

Yeah, WoW locking story behind hardcore raid content is one of the things I get frustrated about when I look back.

In FF14 there are Alliance and Normal Raids with their own stories. Don't be afraid because they're called raids, these are designed to be completed by a group of clueless randos (I say this as an expert at being a clueless rando, everybody gets their turn to be the incompetent one in the group). Extreme Trials, Savage Raids and Ultimate Trials are the difficult coordination stuff, and while they're neat and might have really cool thematic changes to the original fights there's no additional plot involved. The lore behind them is literally "that's a neat story, here's my fanfic on how things could have gone if they'd been tougher" delivered by a guy who looks like the lead developer.

And if you do decide to pursue those, there's systems in place to make it reasonable to gear up. If you join in at the end of an expansion you don't need to gear through everything, they've been raising the bar so there's always three tiers: basic (gotten from stuff you can gather pretty freely), limited (you may only get one drop a week, or only able to get a certain amount of tomestones), and Endgame (rewards from the savage raids, limited tomestone gear upgraded with other once per week drops). Every time they raise the top end of that they fill in below it as they release the next content. So for example patch 6.2 added a new Savage tier that rewarded ilevel 630 and had 610 available as a drop and 620 as limited tomestone gear, then 6.3 added a new Alliance Raid that you can get a piece of 620 from once a week and drops coins to upgrade tomestone gear to 630, along with crafted gear at 620.

EDIT: one exception that always comes up: the ARR raid (Coils of Bahamut) is before they really figured out tuning difficulty in a way they were happy with and done at-level is on par with Savages in other expansions. The story is really neat though so most folks are encouraged to clear it unsynced either later in the game or with others willing to let you watch the cutscenes. The Heavensward normal raid is also a bit more fiddly than later ones, but much more doable at level with a couple of "this is neat but a headache to actually do when people don't respect the mechanics" wall fights.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 30, 2023

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Bruceski posted:

EDIT: one exception that always comes up: the ARR raid (Coils of Bahamut) is before they really figured out tuning difficulty in a way they were happy with and done at-level is on par with Savages in other expansions. The story is really neat though so most folks are encouraged to clear it unsynced either later in the game or with others willing to let you watch the cutscenes.

Yeah, the standard advice here is to ask high-level friends or FC-mates to help you clear Coils, if you can -- they're very hard to do at-level, and more or less impossible to get via the standard random queues, but very easy with a couple of level 90s running unsynched. I would advise trying to do the Coils series in postgame ARR if you can, because there's a lot of very good story there, but the game is still good at letting you know anything you need to know from it later on -- you don't need it to understand the plot at any point, but it can make some later developments a little richer. Also, lots of weird map environments and pretty cool setpiece fights.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

One of my FF14 bucket list things is to run through coils synced because it is a very atmospheric, beautiful raid series

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

One of my FF14 bucket list things is to run through coils synced because it is a very atmospheric, beautiful raid series

I like to do the final fight solo because with multiple people you skip the phase transition and it's absolutely gorgeous and well worth the additional five minutes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

As someone who just completed the coils it quickly became one of my favorites. The music and atmosphere in the second coil alone is enough to elevate it past some of the other raids with their cool mechanics and dope vocal tracks.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Electric Phantasm posted:

As someone who just completed the coils it quickly became one of my favorites. The music and atmosphere in the second coil alone is enough to elevate it past some of the other raids with their cool mechanics and dope vocal tracks.
A part of me wishes that they'd go back and add normal mode to the Coils...but another, saner part of me tells me that's a bad idea because it'd mean that raid roulette wouldn't be a level 60 minimum anymore.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My girlfriend's new to XIV and is intrigued but a little intimidated by Red Mage, so I made a quick three-part guide for her, thought I might as well share it here, too.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

girl dick energy posted:

My girlfriend's new to XIV and is intrigued but a little intimidated by Red Mage, so I made a quick three-part guide for her, thought I might as well share it here, too.

as someone who’s had RDM unlocked since June but hasn’t tried it yet because it looks scarily complicated, thank you!!