Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

docker compose files have treated me quite well for my set-up. I manage them in portainer and everything is self-contained with all of the configurations backed up.

Calibre-web
ersatztv
filebot
overseer
photoprism
pihole
plex
syncthing
tautulli
tdarr
watchtower
youtube-dl
sonarr
radarr
jackett
unifi controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm not seeing where you change the combination. Which area? The entire show, season, episode, what?
In plex, click on any episode and the option should be there if it's got multiple audio tracks

If your library is set to english, and some subs are marked english, it'll auto select subtitles when you change it

Using pasta, you have to navigate through to a specific episode to give you the track options, then the option above will select what it applies changes to

Set like this every episode will use Japanese audio and english subs

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
So, the discussion over the last while about OS's and such included some points about 4k files and transcoding and I am hoping someone can give me some explanations/advice about that.

I have been running a plex server for over a decade now and I just run it on an old PC running win10. My library is 100% made of stuff I have personally ripped from discs with Makemkv. Never had issues with file formats and transcoding has never been a problem at all. I am just starting to get 4k discs now and it seems from the discussion above this is going to pose some problems for me. Its not an immediate problem as I don't have a 4k screen yet, but I would like to know what I will need to do with my server before I get there.

From the above, it seems quicksync will not be sufficient to transcode 4k stuff, is that correct? Is running this on a windows machine going to present an unsolvable issue for 4k transcodes? Is GPU transcoding effective and does it require really hi end gpus, or could an older cheaper GPU solve this? Would moving to unraid improve this situation?

Generally advice I've seen in the past has always pushed towards using cheaper, older machines, but if handling 4k content smoothly changes that, I would like to figure out what I need as a baseline for my machine going forward, given that its uh... very old and I planned to replace it in the near future anyway.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I don't really know much about the exotic flavors of 4k and hdr, but the files I get all play back fine without transcoding on my AppleTV. I don't even use Infuse, just the reg Plex app.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

emocrat posted:

So, the discussion over the last while about OS's and such included some points about 4k files and transcoding and I am hoping someone can give me some explanations/advice about that.

I have been running a plex server for over a decade now and I just run it on an old PC running win10. My library is 100% made of stuff I have personally ripped from discs with Makemkv. Never had issues with file formats and transcoding has never been a problem at all. I am just starting to get 4k discs now and it seems from the discussion above this is going to pose some problems for me. Its not an immediate problem as I don't have a 4k screen yet, but I would like to know what I will need to do with my server before I get there.

From the above, it seems quicksync will not be sufficient to transcode 4k stuff, is that correct? Is running this on a windows machine going to present an unsolvable issue for 4k transcodes? Is GPU transcoding effective and does it require really hi end gpus, or could an older cheaper GPU solve this? Would moving to unraid improve this situation?

Generally advice I've seen in the past has always pushed towards using cheaper, older machines, but if handling 4k content smoothly changes that, I would like to figure out what I need as a baseline for my machine going forward, given that its uh... very old and I planned to replace it in the near future anyway.

Personally I just try to skirt this issue by avoiding transcoding 4k as much as possible. I have my regular library of 1080p content and a separate one for 4k content. Compared to the size of a 4k movie a regular 1080p rip isn't that much more space so I don't mind having both versions in my NAS. If I'm watching a movie on my 4k tv I'll pull up the 4k version and direct play it, but otherwise I and anyone remote is just watching the 1080p version. An extra couple of gigs of storage in exchange for not having to worry about the processing/stream capacity of my server is a trade I'll make.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

4k sounds like a pain in the rear end.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I have a $50 p400 that transcodes 4x4k streams no issues

I also played around with quicksync on an ancient J4125 celeron and did do two concurrent 4k transcodes and could almost do three, and from what I’ve read the N5105 can do 3-4 at once without issue

yeah you’re not gonna transcode a dozen+ 4k streams at a time like you can with 1080p, but who cares?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I picked up a Quadro P400 and just mix my 4k stuff in. Unraid/Docker handles the passthrough pretty easily. Install the driver, and add a flag to the Plex docker boot command and I was off to the races. Same for Jellyfin.

I only let requests come in for 1080p but if its a movie I think should be 4k, I change the quality profile in Overseerr as I see fit (I don't use the Sonarr/Radarr interfaces at all and just use overseerr as my frontend for requests).

The P400 handles transcoding like a champ.

Ever since I got an OLED TV with HDR, 4k/HDR/DoVi has become super important to me. The first movie I watched on it was the new Dune with HDR and all the lights off and holy poo poo it blew my mind.

1080p Quality profile here: https://trash-guides.info/Radarr/radarr-setup-quality-profiles/#hd-bluray-web
4k/HDR (minus advanced audio since I have an appletv, if you have a shield and care about this then add them) here: https://trash-guides.info/Radarr/radarr-setup-quality-profiles/#uhd-bluray-web

Both are synced to Radarr via Recycler so it's set and forget.

cruft posted:

4k sounds like a pain in the rear end.

Yeah the initial setup was not fun but now it's humming along nicely and basically hands off.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

emocrat posted:

I have a Xeon E-2224G processor (https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/products/sku/191037/intel-xeon-e2224g-processor-8m-cache-3-50-ghz/specifications.html) with quick sync and it transcodes 4k fine. The only time I've ever come up against an issue is if it's trying to transcode a huge bitrate 4k file and subs.

That being said, if you're worried about having to transcode, get a Shield (In fact you might need a shield or similar anyway since a lot of smart TV network cards are only 100mbs) and that will direct play most things you throw at it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

I have a Xeon E-2224G processor (https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/products/sku/191037/intel-xeon-e2224g-processor-8m-cache-3-50-ghz/specifications.html) with quick sync and it transcodes 4k fine. The only time I've ever come up against an issue is if it's trying to transcode a huge bitrate 4k file and subs.

That being said, if you're worried about having to transcode, get a Shield (In fact you might need a shield or similar anyway since a lot of smart TV network cards are only 100mbs) and that will direct play most things you throw at it.

Amazon Fire Stick and Google Chromecast with Google TV also direct play a whole mess of stuff, and are less expensive.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Thanks for the input everyone, seems like a solvable issue. I guess the interim solution is to just rip a 1080 and 4k copy and keep them separated, only access the 4k library where i can direct play. Then down the road I can move to hardware that can handle the transcodes and eliminate redundant files.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

cruft posted:

I'm just going to leave this here for OP:

https://homelabos.com/

Huh, that’s pretty neat. I’ll have to spin up a VM and play around.

Anyway, I once had a coworker describe a Docker container as “A VM that, if you use like a VM, are using it wrong” back in the early days of it and it remains a favorite simplification of the tech for me.

Also, as a general rule, any solution that involves K8s is probably a bad solution. You’ll know if you need it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Tangential question, what's the best practice way to expose my library to selected users for uploading/downloading to the library? FTP is certainly one way to do it, but I suspect it is very insecure. I have an Ubuntu install running.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
depends how tech savvy your users are

a VPN and SMB or if they're a bit more savvy SSH would be my picks

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Ive had yum and apt screw up systems before, especially with python when VENVs aren't used and someone triggers pip with sudo. And rolling systems like Manjaro get screwed up all the time from their package management.

I also find centralizing persistent data with docker makes it way easier to back up, and you can even automate docker pulls with watchtower and some labels. But, again, just preference.

I never went digging deep enough to figure out what particular aspects were causing it, but yes, way back when I would actually install *arr / Plex / *torrent directly on the main OS, inevitably at least one of them would have some form of bad update that would absolutely poo poo the bed for itself and other programs, without a proper rollback process. Docker makes fixing that poo poo trivial.

The other huge benefit of running all of this in Docker is that it makes a system replacement equally trivial. Is your base OS hosed up for some reason and you want to do a reinstall? If you've put all of your container persistent volumes somewhere safe away from / (I stick all of mine in subfolders of /opt/ and back the whole thing up), getting back up and running from a clean slate is fast. I did this twice in a row recently; once when I wanted a fresh install of Ubuntu 22.04 instead of one that had been in-place updated from at least 16.04, and again when I rebuilt my box on newer hardware. Get the base OS installed, get docker and docker compose installed, copy back your docker-compose and config volumes, and let it rip.

e.pilot posted:

depends how tech savvy your users are

a VPN and SMB or if they're a bit more savvy SSH would be my picks

If they're tech-savvy enough for FTP, no reason not to use SFTP.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I have a Unifi network with a USG, so I should be pretty well equipped on the VPN side, no?

Users in question are the savvier ones.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

LRADIKAL posted:

Tangential question, what's the best practice way to expose my library to selected users for uploading/downloading to the library? FTP is certainly one way to do it, but I suspect it is very insecure. I have an Ubuntu install running.

Setup Sonarr/Radarr for downloading.
Plex Pass for downloading or just plex for streaming.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Slash posted:

Setup Sonarr/Radarr for downloading.
Plex Pass for downloading or just plex for streaming.

I'm already using Plex. My question is about giving certain trusted users read/write access to my library.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

emocrat posted:

Thanks for the input everyone, seems like a solvable issue. I guess the interim solution is to just rip a 1080 and 4k copy and keep them separated, only access the 4k library where i can direct play. Then down the road I can move to hardware that can handle the transcodes and eliminate redundant files.

This is what most people do based on these discussions in the past.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Khablam posted:

In plex, click on any episode and the option should be there if it's got multiple audio tracks

If your library is set to english, and some subs are marked english, it'll auto select subtitles when you change it

Using pasta, you have to navigate through to a specific episode to give you the track options, then the option above will select what it applies changes to

Set like this every episode will use Japanese audio and english subs

I get that per-episode, but is there a way to go “download this entire season with foreign audio and English subs”? Or does that just happen automatically if it’s set as the default playback option?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

LRADIKAL posted:

I'm already using Plex. My question is about giving certain trusted users read/write access to my library.

I just run overseerr with a discord bot so my few friends can make requests. If you *really* trust them, you can do it without requiring approval too. I only leave mine with approval required so I can ensure they aren't incidentally getting 4k movies or something insane. It's obviously not file sharing like you're thinking, but if it's just about ensuring they can access media they want, that's a good way to go about it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

George RR Fartin posted:

I just run overseerr with a discord bot so my few friends can make requests. If you *really* trust them, you can do it without requiring approval too. I only leave mine with approval required so I can ensure they aren't incidentally getting 4k movies or something insane. It's obviously not file sharing like you're thinking, but if it's just about ensuring they can access media they want, that's a good way to go about it.

Yep, I would recommend Overseerr (or Jellyseerr!) + Plex downloads enabled.

I use Overseerr to make requests remotely from my phone 99% of the time instead of jumping into Radarr/Sonarr. Custom Formats are really useful as well (see here). I limit 4K requests only to myself, and let my friends make 1080p requests with some limitations so they don't overdo it.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 9, 2023

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Corb3t posted:

(or Jellyseerr!)

WHAT THIS EXISTS

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

George RR Fartin posted:

WHAT THIS EXISTS

It even works with Plex and Emby libraries!

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 9, 2023

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Just posting that I have really enjoyed using Tailscale as a technology to get remote access to my stuff. Install it on my phone / laptop that I take places, and then onto a container on my server. Now I can get to everything, completely securely, including stuff like the IPMI for the server, etc. I found it to be a lot easier than reverse proxy for everything.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

madsushi posted:

Just posting that I have really enjoyed using Tailscale as a technology to get remote access to my stuff. Install it on my phone / laptop that I take places, and then onto a container on my server. Now I can get to everything, completely securely, including stuff like the IPMI for the server, etc. I found it to be a lot easier than reverse proxy for everything.

Same, I run tailscale on my pfsense appliance and it rules.

related to dockertalk, I'm trying to learn docker and am having weird issues with permissions, is there a decent thread for noobs like me somewhere?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Diddler posted:

Same, I run tailscale on my pfsense appliance and it rules.

related to dockertalk, I'm trying to learn docker and am having weird issues with permissions, is there a decent thread for noobs like me somewhere?

I’d be interested in that as well. I’ve only run docker off the Unraid GUI so I don’t really have the best grasp of it.

Also, anyone run Tailscale off of OPNsense? Might set up my router to do that if it’s not a bad way to do it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

madsushi posted:

Cosign, tailscale owns. Not having to deal with my router's kinda crappy builtin openvpn and dynamic DNS is nice.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Or does that just happen automatically if it’s set as the default playback option?
Yes

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Warbird posted:

Also, as a general rule, any solution that involves K8s is probably a bad solution. You’ll know if you need it.

Agreed. We run k8s at work and even the people there don't need it: they just think they do because it's the hot buzzword. All the stuff my team deploys ourselves is in Docker Swarm, which is like 1/100th as much work to set up and keep running.

I also run docker swarm on my homelab, because I'm comfortable with it and setup is just "docker swarm init". But a lot of folks ITT are using docker-compose, which is also spiffarino, and I may be moving to when I need /dev/dri

brains
May 12, 2004

That Works posted:

I’d be interested in that as well. I’ve only run docker off the Unraid GUI so I don’t really have the best grasp of it.

Also, anyone run Tailscale off of OPNsense? Might set up my router to do that if it’s not a bad way to do it.

https://tailscale.com/kb/1097/install-opnsense/

works great.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Can someone help me out with how audio pass-through works/what options I should be using?

I have a Sonos surround sound system connected via an optical cable, my Plex client is running from a Shield. When I first set the surround I had some problems getting it working with Plex, I eventually worked out that I needed to set Audio pass-through to "Optical" and Optical Encoding to "AC3", and everything worked great.

Fast forward to today, I noticed one of my streams was transcoding when I expected it to direct play. Some digging led me to change pass-through to "HDMI" and that did indeed fix the transcoding. I assumed HDMI pass-through would be for sound systems connected via HDMI not optical?

I'm assuming that passing through to HDMI means that the Shield is dealing with the audio before sending it to the sound system, rather than Plex having to transcode it first? Is that right?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Optical cables can't handle Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD, so if your files are using those it is going to need to transcode.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Enos Cabell posted:

Optical cables can't handle Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD, so if your files are using those it is going to need to transcode.

Thanks, that's what I figured selecting Optical as the pass-through meant (pass the audio directly through the optical cable if the speaker can handle it) but Plex seemed to want to transcode regular Dolby Digital with that selected.

I don't really understand what HDMI pass-through is doing, or why it's working if my speakers aren't connected via HDMI.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tea Bone posted:

Thanks, that's what I figured selecting Optical as the pass-through meant (pass the audio directly through the optical cable if the speaker can handle it) but Plex seemed to want to transcode regular Dolby Digital with that selected.

I don't really understand what HDMI pass-through is doing, or why it's working if my speakers aren't connected via HDMI.

Yeah that is definitely weird. I'd think you'd want to leave pass-through set to optical which shouldn't transcode on a regular 5.1 dolby digital signal.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Tea Bone posted:

I'm having trouble visualizing your setup -- you say your Shield is connected with HDMI but your surround is connected with optical. Are they both plugged into a TV or AVR? It sounds like your Shield is passing-through audio over HDMI, and then a TV or AVR or something is transcoding the audio so it can be sent over the optical cable to your surround.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

acksplode posted:

I'm having trouble visualizing your setup -- you say your Shield is connected with HDMI but your surround is connected with optical. Are they both plugged into a TV or AVR? It sounds like your Shield is passing-through audio over HDMI, and then a TV or AVR or something is transcoding the audio so it can be sent over the optical cable to your surround.

Both connected to the TV. But I've got to the bottom of it now. I'm the problem... I didn't realise that Readarr had "upgraded" some stuff I thought was DD to DD+ hence the confusion.

I do indeed want optical pass through and will need to transcode (or replace) the DD+ files.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The new "Skip Outros" feature has been pushed out to Plex server today!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Corb3t posted:

The new "Skip Outros" feature has been pushed out to Plex server today!

Oh nice! Presumably this is to fix the issue where when you skip long credits on a show it won't flag that episode as watched?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Oh nice! Presumably this is to fix the issue where when you skip long credits on a show it won't flag that episode as watched?

Yay international Netflix credits.

You can actually change the "video played threshold" percentage under Settings > Library, to fix this issue, but you might have to show advanced settings. It's the same area where you can make adjustments to the Outro detection settings.

Plex's support doc has both settings covered here.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 14, 2023