Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bloodborne had the best gameplay in the series (sekiro was better by far but also a different kind of game so it doesn't count)

i wish it'd come to pc so i can finish it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Toilet Rascal
bloodborne is the best from game

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

im awful at sekiro so i cannot fairly rank it. bloodborne loving owns tho

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i want bloodborne with sekiro-style gameplay & minibosses

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
The correct answer is Sekiro, read the tier chart again on the previous page.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
drat Sekiro has some sick mods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBNTFyQXbY

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lmao

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

quiggy posted:

it's also not the clearest that you have to restore a great rune before you can use it, which is made worse by the fact that the second great rune most people will get is the only one that you can't restore or equip

Maybe I'm misremembering but I'm pretty sure Melina explains that you have to activate the great runes after you get your first one, I could be wrong though

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

DS2 is going well btw, think I'm maybe like a quarter of the way through (cleared Lost Bastille, and cleared everything on both paths to it). Found a Greatsword so as is tradition I'm doing my first run as a big loving sword guy. Feels really weird that the one handed moveset is like way better for it on this one, every other game I've played I've ended up pretty much exclusively using the two handed moveset.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

you should powerstance greatswords

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

should i play kingdom come deliverance y/n

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I thought it was fun but its pretty ugh... "Hardcore RPG", to the point your character cant read books until you find someone to teach you the basics iirc

Same with combat your basically an idiot peasant and combat is gonna be frustrating till you level your skills up (in and out of game).

Its very immersive tho so if its your thing and your computer can run it it was great

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

isn't that the one where the dev had some hot takes re: the presence of non-white people in medieval europe

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

been watching this guy on youtube do insane no-pause rimworld challenges, AdamVsEverything. don’t normally enjoy watching streamers that put their face on the video but he is pretty chill so it’s fine. learned some really awesome tips watching it

he also went on a fromsoft tangent in one video saying how his biggest disappointment with elden ring was how they backpedaled from sekiro on the decision to zoom the camera out when you engaged in giant boss fights. never played sekiro but it would be nice to not always have your camera jammed in a giant’s thigh or whatever

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

haveblue posted:

bloodborne is the best from game

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

InternetOfTwinks posted:

DS2 is going well btw, think I'm maybe like a quarter of the way through (cleared Lost Bastille, and cleared everything on both paths to it). Found a Greatsword so as is tradition I'm doing my first run as a big loving sword guy. Feels really weird that the one handed moveset is like way better for it on this one, every other game I've played I've ended up pretty much exclusively using the two handed moveset.

one handing a weapon requires a greater stat commitment than two-handing so it makes sense from that perspective at least

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

I thought it was fun but its pretty ugh... "Hardcore RPG", to the point your character cant read books until you find someone to teach you the basics iirc

Same with combat your basically an idiot peasant and combat is gonna be frustrating till you level your skills up (in and out of game).

Its very immersive tho so if its your thing and your computer can run it it was great
that sounds like it’s fun in theory and probably a total ballache in practice but maybe it’ll be fun in practice too

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Guys, I want to like bloodborne, but unlike Sekiro where I got to pre-nerf Bull and gave up, I can't even consistently get to the first boss of BB.

The controls just feel so janky compared to DS1:Remaster and Sekiro, and everything feels like mush.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

haveblue posted:

3d dot game heroes is the best from game

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

jesus WEP posted:

that sounds like it’s fun in theory and probably a total ballache in practice but maybe it’ll be fun in practice too

They don't make most stuff to monotonous, I think a few of the things that are you can quickly get perks or money or w/e so its not really an issue except when you start X new gameplay mechanic.

Stuff like herbalism, you get perks to collect more flowers at once and as your skill levels up your animation is faster / near instant. iirc when you first ride a horse it controls like rear end and wanders all over but as you level up it gets more responsive and arcadey.

Its basically medieval peasant simulator and pretty fun

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

MrQueasy posted:

Guys, I want to like bloodborne, but unlike Sekiro where I got to pre-nerf Bull and gave up, I can't even consistently get to the first boss of BB.

The controls just feel so janky compared to DS1:Remaster and Sekiro, and everything feels like mush.

BB is all about movement and aggression, remember the ABCs: always be cDodging and Smacking

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Mr. Crow posted:

BB is all about movement and aggression, remember the ABCs: always be cDodging and Smacking

Perhaps it's the dodging being on the same button as roll that gets me. Or maybe it's the action buffer? It feels sometime like I can't figure out the proper sequence to queue so that I'm not over-committing.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

if i had to guess without seeing you play you're probably mashing the dodge button. bb is just as deliberate as the rest of their games, it's just faster

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

BB was the first soulslike I played and I remember the beginning being the hardest most punishing part of the entire game. idk why I stuck with it. by the end it was such a breeze it was kind of a joke.

edit: except for the spider boss. gently caress that thing

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

beyblades

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

polyester concept posted:

BB was the first soulslike I played and I remember the beginning being the hardest most punishing part of the entire game. idk why I stuck with it. by the end it was such a breeze it was kind of a joke.

edit: except for the spider boss. gently caress that thing

Idk about hardest but yea the first two bosses were rough my first playthrough, was hard to get out of the darksouls shield mentality.

And i agree with the above poster you're probably mashing buttons to much but :shrug:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Toilet Rascal
yeah souls combat is given its feel largely by the lack of cancels. you have to be sure you’re ready to commit to every button press because you won’t be doing anything else until the animation finishes

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Yeah, I'm just baffled because Bloodborne is the one that just doesn't click for me, and by all accounts I should have been able to figure out the chiste by now. (though I haven't played ER yet).

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

haveblue posted:

yeah souls combat is given its feel largely by the lack of cancels. you have to be sure you’re ready to commit to every button press because you won’t be doing anything else until the animation finishes

It's also super consistent and responsive outside of the commitment. I tried playing shadow of war after a souls game and it felt really bad, like my character was just doing almost random stuff in response to input

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yospos dark souls thread apparently

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Sagebrush posted:

yospos dark souls thread apparently

It's a difficult game! Much like your posts.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

MrQueasy posted:

Yeah, I'm just baffled because Bloodborne is the one that just doesn't click for me, and by all accounts I should have been able to figure out the chiste by now. (though I haven't played ER yet).

I was the opposite, the whole series just bounced me right off until I tried bloodborne and learned to steal the opponents turn instead of waiting for yours. That made the rest of the series way way more fun to me going back to them.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
starting up mh:rise again and god i hate how impenetrable these are to get into. I loved mh:w but it had the same problem of clunky ui and slow start.

I can't find a control scheme in the settings to save my life and I'm not doing the 90 min intro again that i did a year ago or whenever i failed to start this before, B is quick attack and Y is strong? Im using the katana, RT is special? I got my attacks build up my sword "status" and my RT special can combo if i have "sword status", but whats the weapon outline that goes white yellow red (not the sharpening/durability status)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've tried rise twice now and have bounced hard both times

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mr. Crow posted:

starting up mh:rise again and god i hate how impenetrable these are to get into. I loved mh:w but it had the same problem of clunky ui and slow start.

I can't find a control scheme in the settings to save my life and I'm not doing the 90 min intro again that i did a year ago or whenever i failed to start this before, B is quick attack and Y is strong? Im using the katana, RT is special? I got my attacks build up my sword "status" and my RT special can combo if i have "sword status", but whats the weapon outline that goes white yellow red (not the sharpening/durability status)

that's the spirit gauge, which is a longsword mechanic. here's a basic guide on the longsword: https://www.thegamer.com/monster-hunter-rise-longsword-weapon-guide/

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

quiggy posted:

that's the spirit gauge, which is a longsword mechanic. here's a basic guide on the longsword: https://www.thegamer.com/monster-hunter-rise-longsword-weapon-guide/

:thanks: i knew it was something but couldn't remember how it worked and i ran around the village initially for the tutorial weapon quests again but it was like all shops

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

np. mind you i have no idea how the spirit gauge works besides more gauge = better. switch axe supremacy

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Malenia felt like a misplaced Sekiro boss just because of how her whole fight worked. You don't really take turns like you do in the other Dark Souls series games, you learn where you can safely interrupt her and then you loving interrupt her otherwise you're just going to get wailed on relentlessly. There's even the Sekiro sword clang sound effect so you know that you have to switch to defensive mode. The stupid super move could be easily full-parried if ER was Sekiro but it's not Sekiro so uhh I dunno you either shield tank it or do some insanely complicated sequence of precisely timed directional dodges that you have absolutely no way of figuring out without reading about it on the internet.

Still my favorite fight of the game though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Returnal seems cool so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Ya its real good

Might have to pick it up again on pc when its a tenner