Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Who are the wrestlers that aren't Naito that benefited most from excursions?

Cody Rhodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

hiromu

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Caught up on the Evil Uno/Moxley match. Are there any other examples of someone bleeding so profusely while still keeping a mask on?

Ripping a hole in a mask & bleeding buckets from it is probably half the reason luchadores wear masks. The wonderful & emotional match between Villano IV & Penta from last year's Triplemania is a really good example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19v1eqrsJKI

There was also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLornQzs26c&t=7028s which was part of the Rush vs LA Park feud

Another match between those 2 sickos where Park's mask is barely hanging on for most of the match, such has it been ripped apart

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Caught up on the Evil Uno/Moxley match. Are there any other examples of someone bleeding so profusely while still keeping a mask on?

Rey Mysterio getting his head squeezed in by the great khali. RIP

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

What's the highest scoring iron man match out there

I want like a 56-77 type result

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Don't listen to this fool, he has no idea what he's talking about.

Still, I agree with the sentiment. It was extremely hosed up of Parka to sever a guy's head and stuff it inside his skull just to freak out Rush. But that's why he's the best.

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016

Shard posted:

I want to say Kurt Angle vs Benoit started as a mat wrestling match until Kurt was losing and he changed to a strike style

Similar to Okada vs Shibata. Shibata outclasses him as a pure wrestler, even doing weird British-style catch spots styling on him. Okada gets annoyed and tries to strike, and regrets it

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Speaking of bloody luchadores remember Lucha Underground?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icvizxc3UB0

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Muto's 89 excursion as the Great Muta did a lot for his career and Puro in the US

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Okada went to TNA and essentially ripped off Pope D'Angelo Dinero to make the Rainmaker to go onto have the greatest run in wrestling history.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Bonk posted:

It's always funny to me when people forget that Okada was an Ultimo guy.

Okada's Cagematch ratings for his first few years are ridiculously low and then skyrocket up in 2012. I've never really seen much of his Toryumon Mexico stuff. Did he just kinda suck early on, or is it Cagematch people being weirdos as usual?

He did a couple of shows for Chikara in 2006 that in hindsight are pretty bad (but were really just short and boring), he showed zero signs of what he would be half a decade later

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dozens of big LA Park matches.

The thumbnail on this video is an all time classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAfvVhrwZr0&t=8s

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Muto's 89 excursion as the Great Muta did a lot for his career and Puro in the US

Great Muta was my favorite wrestler of all time for that run alone. Wild, exciting, different, and at an age where wrestling was still real and magical to me. I guess it's funny that I never even thought of it as an excursion.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Great Muta was my favorite wrestler of all time for that run alone. Wild, exciting, different, and at an age where wrestling was still real and magical to me. I guess it's funny that I never even thought of it as an excursion.

Yeah. He was just this cool dude who came with an amazing move that was always a killshot and had off the charts chemistry with Sting. So much so people were begging for Muta to turn face but oh well.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

ARMBAR A COP posted:

What's the highest scoring iron man match out there

I want like a 56-77 type result

not quite what you're looking for, but anyway, I recall that Lulu Pencil had a series of three minute matches in 2019 where she ended up taking seven or eight falls every time

so if they'd extended that to, say, a thirty minute match, they'd most likely go 70- or 80-0, assuming there isn't any sort of mercy rule in Gatoh Move ironman matches

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

A lot of FMW's inspiration came from Onita spending a lot of time time with the Funks and the AWA

edit:

Venomous posted:

not quite what you're looking for, but anyway, I recall that Lulu Pencil had a series of three minute matches in 2019 where she ended up taking seven or eight falls every time

so if they'd extended that to, say, a thirty minute match, they'd most likely go 70- or 80-0, assuming there isn't any sort of mercy rule in Gatoh Move ironman matches

Lulu Pencil did have a 30 minute Iron Man Match which was maybe her greatest match, unfortunately the pin count was 3-1 but that 1 at 29:50 was Lulu's only ever pin and they tore the place up.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 24, 2023

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Back in 2008 Chikara, Eddie Kingston had a match against Shane Storm, who wore a white mask with a cartoony face over it. The match got pretty stiff, as expected from a heel Kingston match, and he broke Storm's nose. The red spot on the mask became bigger and more prominent as the match went on.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Tatsumi Fujinami and Shinjiro Otani, at least in terms of getting worldwide recognition.

I'd say Liger too, but he was going to be iconic either way.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

For the HoF class of 2014 ceremony they had Kane induct Paul Bearer, for which the Undertaker made an appearance. Why wasn't the Undertaker the one to induct him?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

titties posted:

For the HoF class of 2014 ceremony they had Kane induct Paul Bearer, for which the Undertaker made an appearance. Why wasn't the Undertaker the one to induct him?

Undertaker rarely (or never?) showed up to the HOF at that point, I assume for kayfabe reasons

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

titties posted:

Wasn’t that the time where CM Punk had Bearer’s kayfabe ashes in the urn?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

they probably wanted his son to induct him

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gavok posted:

Back in 2008 Chikara, Eddie Kingston had a match against Shane Storm, who wore a white mask with a cartoony face over it. The match got pretty stiff, as expected from a heel Kingston match, and he broke Storm's nose. The red spot on the mask became bigger and more prominent as the match went on.

Whatever became of Shane? And I guess we need to ask because Chikara, did he turn out to be awful?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Dawgstar posted:

Whatever became of Shane? And I guess we need to ask because Chikara, did he turn out to be awful?

After his run as STIGMA in the UnStable ran out of gas, he stopped showing up in Chikara as much. He went back to being Shane Storm in Grand Slam Wrestling, only showing up in Chikara again for two matches based on having a shitload of people (22-man tag match and an Infinite Gauntlet rumble match). His last match was in GSW back in the end of 2017. Then I guess he just straight-up retired.

As far as I know, he wasn't the subject of anything from Speaking Out.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What are some of the best short term WWE tag combination?

Jericho and Edge
Jericho and Christian
Benoit and Edge
Benoit and Jericho
Benoit and Angle
Edge and Mysterio
Mysterio and RVD
Mysterio and Batista
Eddie and Tajiri

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
jericho and kevin

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Rock n Sock

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Omega/Hangmin

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Golddust and Booker T

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Warrior and Savage, just for the promos.

"No sleep, no fooooooooood... no nothing. Just maniacism."

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tell me the story of ICW[Insane Championship Wrestling] that an out of date and short wikipedia entry wouldn't give me. I see clips on youtube every now and again with Grado and Joe Hendry and it looks really really fun and good.

Is ICW a fun and good promotion? Is it still around? if I wanted to watch a time period for fun stuff what would that period be and where do I find it?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Steve Blackman and Al Snow as Head Cheese should have had a tag title run

Did Lance Storm have a tag team with a similar "fun/boring" dynamic or am I just thinking of the vignettes where someone tried to teach him how to be fun

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Steve Blackman and Al Snow as Head Cheese should have had a tag title run

Did Lance Storm have a tag team with a similar "fun/boring" dynamic or am I just thinking of the vignettes where someone tried to teach him how to be fun

With Storm, are you thinking of The Un-Americans, with Christian, Test and Regal?

Edit: He also had a short program teaming with Goldust.

Timby fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 25, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Defenestrategy posted:

Tell me the story of ICW[Insane Championship Wrestling] that an out of date and short wikipedia entry wouldn't give me. I see clips on youtube every now and again with Grado and Joe Hendry and it looks really really fun and good.

Is ICW a fun and good promotion? Is it still around? if I wanted to watch a time period for fun stuff what would that period be and where do I find it?

ICW was fun. I don't know about good particularly, but fun. One of those promotions I think works better live than on a TV set.

I think the place to start is Insane Fight Club, a behind the scenes BBC documentary. It's up on YouTube. A good way to get a grasp on the group. And Grado in particular, as he's heavily featured

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 25, 2023

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

titties posted:

Taker didn't want to break character. Seriously.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Taker only breaks character when it’s something important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sAxmkPK0Bo

bartok
May 10, 2006

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Jericho and Edge
Jericho and Christian
Benoit and Edge
Benoit and Jericho
Benoit and Angle
Edge and Mysterio
Mysterio and RVD
Mysterio and Batista
Eddie and Tajiri

I remember the team of Jericho and Big Show being one of the very few high points of the guest host era of Raw.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Taker only breaks character when it’s something important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sAxmkPK0Bo

Smh taker becoming a gamer, whatever happened to respecting the business?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Jericho and Edge
Jericho and Christian
Benoit and Edge
Benoit and Jericho
Benoit and Angle
Edge and Mysterio
Mysterio and RVD
Mysterio and Batista
Eddie and Tajiri

aj styles and chris jericho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU