Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

SIGSEGV posted:

Security fuckup megathread 18.18: it always was stupid, but now it is stupider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

couldn't you have done this with a tape recorder tho

lol good luck getting someone to ever say "passport"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Grace Baiting posted:

hacker foiled by the one thing they couldn't handle: human interaction

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Grace Baiting posted:

how did they handle this in Sneakers

mystes
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

I want to say it was literally just something like "I think the word passport is sexy; could you say it for me?"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

haveblue posted:

she was doing a crossword iirc

brains
May 12, 2004

haveblue posted:

they sent an attractive woman lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

brains posted:

they sent an attractive woman lol

This would immediately tip off any goon that a plot was afoot

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Captain Foo posted:

But she really needs that printer

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

this was part of it yes

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

haveblue posted:

https://youtu.be/oG5vsPJ5Tos

mystes
May 31, 2006

?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

you just kick in the door OP

mystes
May 31, 2006

spankmeister posted:

you just kick in the door OP
Oh okay, but there was another part of the movie where they did do this whole thing to defeat the voice authentication

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This week has been a pooshower. IT reported the company I work for got breached. Had to change all my passwords. IT also says my personal info including SIN (Canadian SSN) was filched.

What do I do to protect my rear end?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
well good news because in canada we can’t lock our credit so just watch your credit reports like a hawk

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Quackles posted:

This week has been a pooshower. IT reported the company I work for got breached. Had to change all my passwords. IT also says my personal info including SIN (Canadian SSN) was filched.

fake your death and come back in a few years as someone else. just being declared legally dead might be enough, i'm not as familiar with canadian law.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Midjack posted:

fake your death and come back in a few years as someone else. just being declared legally dead might be enough, i'm not as familiar with canadian law.

:hmmno:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Quackles posted:

become a latvian citizen and relinquish your canadian citizenship. everyone will just alternate between pitying you and calling you an idiot, instead of hurting you

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Quackles posted:

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/protection.html

If you have been affected by a data breach

The Government of Canada is committed to protecting the integrity of the SIN program from fraud and misuse. It takes any breach of information very seriously.

If you have been affected by a data breach, contact Canada’s 2 major credit bureaus to monitor your file.

Equifax: 1-800-465-7166
TransUnion: 1-800-663-9980
Regularly review your banking and credit card statements, especially after the credit monitoring service ends.

If you notice any suspicious activity, immediately report it to the police, contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre, and inform Service Canada. This will help reduce the potential impact.

Service Canada does not issue a new SIN for those affected by a data breach.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Chris Knight posted:

Service Canada does not issue a new SIN for those affected by a data breach.

the doctrine of original SIN

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Quackles posted:

how's life at indigo anyway?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

please, it's indigogo

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

please, it's indigogo

I thought they were a band. :v:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Quackles posted:

I thought they were a band. :v:

Thank you.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

i mean op could also work for my old landlord because those fuckers got breached and leaked my sin too :toot:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I would simply confess my SIN and stop worrying about it

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I would simply confess my SIN and stop worrying about it

OK, it's 696-420-969

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

figured there would be a 219 in there somewhere

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

i called my bank last week to dispute a charge and after like 5 minutes of menus the recording said "you can do this online" (you can't). "would you like me to send you an email with instructions on how to do it?"

I said "no."

It said "Okay, the email should be arriving soon. Thank you." and then hung up.

mystes
May 31, 2006

cool av posted:

i called my bank last week to dispute a charge and after like 5 minutes of menus the recording said "you can do this online" (you can't). "would you like me to send you an email with instructions on how to do it?"

I said "no."

This seems like a problem modern AI can easily handle. For example, would it make you feel better if the computer telling you to go gently caress yourself pretended to be dating you?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Quackles posted:

OK, it's 696-420-969

doesn't pass luhn

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

mystes posted:

This seems like a problem modern AI can easily handle. For example, would it make you feel better if the computer telling you to go gently caress yourself pretended to be dating you?

if i run into these i alternatively shout obscenities or start mashing every number. sometimes it even works

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it doesn’t have to be obscenities, just talk continuously about something totally irrelevant. Most of them transfer you to a human after too many failures in a row

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

cool av posted:

I said "no."

This is why I always just hit zero or say "operator" upon the first few hints that the computer is actually listening to me. Why spend minutes trying to listen to all the menu options to get to the right extension when someone more qualified can do it for you?

And yes, the most infuriating poo poo is when they have the gall to use an automated recording to tell you how to use the internet to solve the problem, when that advice isn't helpful at all.

Or the survey is only there to try to ding the customer service people instead of a venue where you can vent at the utter failure of automated support.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

haveblue posted:

it doesn’t have to be obscenities, just talk continuously about something totally irrelevant. Most of them transfer you to a human after too many failures in a row

usually just repeatedly mashing the # button will bypass most IVRs

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Vahakyla posted:

https://www.spiegel.de/ausland/wuhl...dc-4ffd1873b35d
Der Spiegel shows Ukrainians using Discord at a command post.

:nsavince:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

sb hermit posted:

And yes, the most infuriating poo poo is when they have the gall to use an automated recording to tell you how to use the internet to solve the problem, when that advice isn't helpful at all.

like it’s 2023 ffs, do they really think I didn’t try the website first and exhaust all online options before gritting my teeth and resorting to the phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Soricidus posted:

like it’s 2023 ffs, do they really think I didn’t try the website first and exhaust all online options before gritting my teeth and resorting to the phone

kinda feel like it's a weird rear end management decision to annoy the gently caress out of callers that use the phone as the first step out of habit or preference. But on the other hand, it also annoys the gently caress out of all the other callers that had no other recourse than to call in.