Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Soul Dentist posted:

Someday I'll have a range hood that vents outside. Sigh

wanted to post this earlier — the dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

DasNeonLicht posted:

wanted to post this earlier — the dream

I'd say that having one installed was surprisingly cheap, but honestly, even with our oven already on an exterior wall, I wish I'd spent more and gotten something that could move more air.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

We finally moved into a place that has a hood that vents outside, instead of right into my face, and it's awesome. I didn't know how much of a difference it would make, but from personal experience, it's amazing.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009
This is soo late to the game, but for spices there's also Kalustyan's! website has a different name but absolute NYC classic that ships throughout the US. https://foodsofnations.com/

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've got two jars of Blue Elephant Thai Green Curry in the pantry, the best before date was December 24th 2022. I'm not about to let two perfectly good jars go to waste. Can I throw them in the freezer and use them in the (nearish) future? Or no? It's only two months past when I should have eaten it but they're still properly sealed in their jars and don't companies use fancy nitrogen purging or whatever to ensure a totally safe atmosphere for packaged goods?

I had a jar of red curry paste that was 'best before' on the 28th February 2023. I just made a curry with it now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Qubee posted:

I've got two jars of Blue Elephant Thai Green Curry in the pantry, the best before date was December 24th 2022. I'm not about to let two perfectly good jars go to waste. Can I throw them in the freezer and use them in the (nearish) future? Or no? It's only two months past when I should have eaten it but they're still properly sealed in their jars and don't companies use fancy nitrogen purging or whatever to ensure a totally safe atmosphere for packaged goods?

I had a jar of red curry paste that was 'best before' on the 28th February 2023. I just made a curry with it now.

They contain oil so there’s a chance they’ll be oxidized and smell like wet cardboard. I would use very soon

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

They contain oil so there’s a chance they’ll be oxidized and smell like wet cardboard. I would use very soon

Will freezing put a hold on that or no?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Qubee posted:

Will freezing put a hold on that or no?

All oily stuff I’ve put in the freezer turned rancid after 3-4 years. Yours might have less time than that since you’ve had it unfrozen up till now. But who knows? Maybe canning buys it some time.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Qubee posted:

I wouldn't bother freezing them, just use them ASAP - and have a backup plan in case they smell/taste off. Try to use them within the next couple weeks - one this week, one next week if possible.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

FaradayCage posted:

I'm seeing some mixed stuff on this.

I have some turnips that just began to sprout leaves (1-2 inches long).

Is this going to make the turnip unpalatable (for slow cooker chuck roast) or will it still be good?

For reference, I frequently consume onions and garlic with some green sprout going on and don't have an issue with it.

Cut off the greens. Like carrots, the greens will enlimpen your root veggies. Use it up sooner than later.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
I bought some sugar free brownie mix and made it according to the boxes directions, but it failed to puff up and was more like brownie brittle. Does anyone have any idea as to how I can make it better next time?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
What brand? You might contact the company who made it, so they can send you a coupon for a new box to try again with.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

samcarsten posted:

I bought some sugar free brownie mix and made it according to the boxes directions, but it failed to puff up and was more like brownie brittle. Does anyone have any idea as to how I can make it better next time?

How old was it? Baking soda might’ve gone flat

If not that, might’ve been over mixed?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 7, 2023

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

samcarsten posted:

I made brownies from a sugar-free mix a few months ago and while it wasn't brownie brittle, it had almost no rise to it and also tasted like sawdust. 0/10 would not make again.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Didn't see a better place to ask about recipe delivery services:
I've been with Blue Apron for a log time, something like 5 years, and liked it well enough. However for the 2nd time they've just cancelled my account. I believe this has to do with a recent change to their password complexity rules but that's neither here nor there, if they can't straighten something like that out then I need to be looking for a different service.

So here I am. Anyone have any general recommendations for a similar service that they like? I don't have any dietary restrictions and am fairly omnivorous so I'm looking for a mix of different protein and vegetarian recipes. I've Google'd up a couple of lists of service comparisons but they're all sponsored so they rarely have anything critical to say and just make them sound the same.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
What would folks here consider the archetypal ingredients for a chicken stock? I always have people looking askance whenever I mention I put asparagus in mine, is that super weird?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PurpleXVI posted:

What would folks here consider the archetypal ingredients for a chicken stock? I always have people looking askance whenever I mention I put asparagus in mine, is that super weird?

seems a bit weird but if you like it who cares.

for me it’s onion, celery, carrot at minimum. or for an asian soup stock it gets ginger and garlic as well. usually i add in bay, thyme and black pepper with a little lemon juice.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

Yes.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Onion, garlic, celery, carrot, black pepper. Beyond that it is "what's in the fridge that I need to get rid of" and complimenting those additions. Leek and mushroom scraps are some of my fav things to throw in if I've got them around.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Cole crops/brassicas and legumes are out for stock for me, and I guess now that I think about it asparagus is too for the same reasons: it makes it smell farty

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Nephzinho posted:

Onion, garlic, celery, carrot, black pepper. Beyond that it is "what's in the fridge that I need to get rid of" and complimenting those additions. Leek and mushroom scraps are some of my fav things to throw in if I've got them around.

Mushrooms hadn't occurred to me at all! Interesting idea, I suppose it might add a bit more savory to the flavor.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Celery is worthless in all ways in all things. I will die on this hill

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

guppy posted:

If you ever put a chicken in the oven, shove a couple of sticks of celery in there with it. It's arguable whether it does anything for the taste, but it will fill your kitchen with the most amazing smell. They're like nature's incense sticks.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Steve Yun posted:

Touch the top of your fridge. Is there grease there?

There isn't any that I could detect. There is dust

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hammerite posted:

There isn't any that I could detect. There is dust

That's great. My home kitchen has no real exterior vent fan setup which I dislike and I rarely fry at all but I still get an oily film on anything that sits out on the top of the cabinets, fridge etc over a couple months.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Discovered the joy of Briouats, but have decided that shallow frying Filo dough is not something my middle-aged gut can tolerate. What's the technique for making crunchy, flaky Filo pastries in the oven?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

guppy posted:

Gonna be a lonely hill. The rest of us will be down in the valley enjoying mirepoix and Old Bay.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
I just do onion, carrot, celery, maybe some peppercorns and/or bay leaves. I pressure can mine, and like to keep a lot on the shelf, so I like to keep it pretty neutral. Stuff like garlic, ginger, asparagus, those can all be added when I actually cook with it.

In addition to basic classic chicken stock, I also separately save the bones when I smoke a chicken - or if I make a really spicy whole chicken or something where that flavor might not always be welcome. The "smoked" chicken stock is awesome for things like beans and rice, or really anything where ham, bacon, smoked sausage, etc., would be involved. Collard greens or whatever.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Gonna be a lonely hill. The rest of us will be down in the valley enjoying mirepoix and Old Bay.

I am from Maryland and I will concede Old Bay.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

guppy posted:

me reading this wrong-rear end post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD4XoVDxM5E

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I can't believe how much celery I go through for mirepoix alone. I am finishing whole packages these days, I didn't think that was possible

JoshGuitar posted:

The "smoked" chicken stock is awesome for things like beans and rice, or really anything where ham, bacon, smoked sausage, etc., would be involved. Collard greens or whatever.

somewhat related, I really enjoy stewing bitter greens with smoked meat and chicken bouillon — I can't believe how flavorful the broth is

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

drat I need to hop on the homemade broth train.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What I like to do is freeze some of my broth as golfball-sized ice cubes, and then when I'm doing a tomato deglaze or whatever other lazy sauce I'm making for my rice, I just huck one of those babies in there and that instantly elevates it.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Since we're on broth talk, does anyone have a recipe for homemade chicken broth that isn't quite so gelatinous and oily? I once made an instant pot broth out of chicken wings, and it was so jello like and oily that it was off putting. I've been absolutely ruined by supermarket chicken stock, so I think I need a gateway drug from thin watery boxed broth to what is basically chicken flavored jello.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Get a grease separator

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Wings have a ton of connective tissue and fat, so they'll definitely give you oily chicken Jell-O. You can let it cool then remove the fat from the top, or better yet:

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Get a grease separator

If for some reason you want to cut down on the gelatin, use a mix of different chicken bones/parts instead of just wings.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can scrape off the fat the next day, but any chicken stock I’ve made is pretty jello-y. Those are different properties, and it shouldn’t be jello when you heat it up. Are you just not okay with dealing with it at all? Better than Bouillon might be a good gateway drug, or at least better than boxed broth. You can get the reduced sodium kind and then make it stronger than the jar directs if you want a stronger flavor.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm a fan of making it the day before you need it, straining it, refrigerating it, then scraping the solid fat off the next day. with pork stocks, it comes off in a solid, almost unbroken sheet — very satisfying

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I find that there's a notably different flavour to "next day" broth. Once it's been frozen, it feels like something definitely changes, because I agree, the first batch I use on the day I make it, is sometimes(but not always? I feel like I use the same parts, maybe some chickens are just fattier than others, or maybe I'm sometimes better at separating the fat out between the batches...) very viscous, but the frozen stuff, when re-heated, never is, desptie being from the exact same batch of broth-making

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ThePopeOfFun posted:

drat I need to hop on the homemade broth train.

You really should. For a lot of the recipes I use stock for its the single biggest improvement I've been able to make to the dish. Pressure cookers help a great deal as well.