Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Private Division also just released an enhanced/upgraded version of The Outer Worlds (who wanted this?) which if early Steam reviews are any indication is a hot mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

darnon posted:

Private Division is just another layer of publisher so cuts in its workforce don't necessarily directly equate to cuts at Intercept who are the KSP2 devs.

Ah! I think I hadn't realized, and thought Private Division was the name of the development studio.

Allows me to assign blame to them, I guess. Like, one question has been "How does a company like Take 2 gently caress this up?" and the answer might be too much delegation to a subsidiary publisher.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Popete posted:

Private Division also just released an enhanced/upgraded version of The Outer Worlds (who wanted this?) which if early Steam reviews are any indication is a hot mess.

You're not wrong

And most of the negative reviews are talking about the performance being worse than the original game. Feels familiar.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Popete posted:

How could they make the outer worlds worse? It was already bad to begin with.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

It was just so bland. My urge to go explore randomly died in the first 2 hours when I realized there's just nothing interesting out there.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

At best case you spend 10 dollars to start a brand new save in an RPG (and that requires you to own the original title and both DLCs)

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

El Jeffe posted:

It was just so bland. My urge to go explore randomly died in the first 2 hours when I realized there's just nothing interesting out there.

I thought you guys were talking about Outer Wilds and I was ready to unbookmark the thread.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Clark Nova posted:

goddamn, that explains why they shoved it out the door in its current state :smith:

Could be the suits at private division knew they were on the hot seat, and so shoved it out the door as a roll of the dice. Just hoping the game was acceptable enough to sell well and save their jobs.

so possibly :unsmith: if bad management are the ones getting fired

but also the next suits probably won't be any better :smith:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I thought you guys were talking about Outer Wilds and I was ready to unbookmark the thread.

No, I'm talking about the game where the developers put all their effort into the first world and then built a movie set facade for the rest of the game.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Everything is fine guys, there's nothing to worry about!!

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Yeah, I wanted to stay optimistic about the game getting better but this is a real bad sign, nice to see Take2 never loving changes :smith:

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I'm playing KSP 1 for the first time. I have an orbital marker similar to the ones you get for the "place satellite in orbit" contracts, but there are no contracts either accepted or available for that particular orbit.

Are there other reasons why those appear? It is orange and Var-Co industries if that makes a difference.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Man I should have paid attention. I don't follow gaming news at all. I saw KSP2 was early access and jumped on it.

Holy poo poo this is a mess. I'm not going to refund just because I want to hold out hope but until it gets better I guess I'm going to go back to the first one.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
The hopeful non-refunders will be the last to eat when the liquidators rip the company to pieces before dissolving it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Looks like the technical director was fired or quit, always a good sign!

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/11ll2zw/this_linkedin_post_from_paul_furio_ex_technical/

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

aw man it just gets worse :smith:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Well, KSP2 is a technical mess, so...

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Well gently caress, I did my best to stay positive but I guess it's time to submit a refund request. I made it to the moon though, and only exploded everywhere and ended up flying KSC for a while on the way back!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What a dumpster fire this whole launch has been. How sad. KSP is my favorite game ever and I built a new PC just to play the sequel.

Well, maybe the thread can talk about other space games. I know Juno got mentioned a few times. What can it do that KSP can't?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Count Roland posted:

Well, maybe the thread can talk about other space games. I know Juno got mentioned a few times. What can it do that KSP can't?

nearly everything is procedural. engines have tons of parameters. you can individually design engines for launch/ascent/vacuum performance from the same base. ships are basicaly wobbleless. less parts/mods than KSP. you can make your own mechjeb / automated craft programs with an easy to use "programming language" (no typing required). can have a shitton of parts in one craft (allows for some REALLY realistic-looking stuff).

their steam page is really well written and shows the main features of the game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/870200/Juno_New_Origins/

overall it has less soul than KSP and is more focused on simulating some aspects that KSP just glances over

marumaru fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 8, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Also has some programming thing built in.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

How stable is it?

How pretty is it?

vs KSP1

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

is there anything to do on/around planets once you get there cause that feels like where there was really room for improvement over KSP

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

is there anything to do on/around planets once you get there cause that feels like where there was really room for improvement over KSP

It would be cool if you could gain research points for dropping rovers that gather data/samples for analysis, don't know if that's in the plan or not.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I dont even land most of the time. I like to build massive satellite networks across the system.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Klyith posted:

The camera stuff is just so ... what the gently caress is even happening.

OTOH his wobbly rocket problem is super funny because he's doing everything 100% wrong. He makes the problem worse rather than better by continually adding more and more control authority. Wobbly rockets aren't fixed by more authority. That's why they wobble, you are putting too much torque stress on the joints! They're fixed by less authority, and by turning off SAS if you have oscillations.

Like at one point he stacks up like 5 big 2m reaction wheels, and puts them up at the top of the rocket. This means he has a shitton of reaction wheel torque at the top, and a shitton of aero control surfaces & engine gimbal on the bottom. loving duh. You're holding a flexible thing and with your hands on the far ends, then twisting and yanking on it. Of course it goes bendy.

I don't know why KSP models forces between rocket parts at all to be honest. Would we lose anything if the entire rocket was a single rigid body?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

I don't know why KSP models forces between rocket parts at all to be honest. Would we lose anything if the entire rocket was a single rigid body?

I think it is interesting having to design around it a bit so you can’t make something totally ridiculous like plane that is so heavy the wings would rip off of it but other than that not really no. I feel like they could significantly reduce the impact of it and out would be perfectly fine still.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

play juno and find out, lol

no, because Kerbal Joint Reinforcement is a must-have mod

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

juno feels very mobile game like, but i guess thats because it is, since its just a renamed simple rockets 2, which some of you may already have in your steam library.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

swordfish duelist posted:

I dont even land most of the time. I like to build massive satellite networks across the system.

idk I just get bored making stuff that doesn't actually do anything ingame, it's fun to watch other people put aircraft carriers on Laythe but the game peters out for me pretty quickly around that point. I'd really like a KSP where there's more mechanical use for space colonies/supply runs/constructing infrastructure for some kind of megaproject (or, less likely, where the planet surfaces were a lot more interesting, so there's motivation to visit them more than once). Some of the mods like Beyond Home that let you do interstellar travel gave a pretty good reason to be setting up networks of gas stations and deep space relays, all that stuff actually helps you get somewhere you couldn't otherwise, but anything Kopernicus-based also seems to break every time anything on my computer updates and I'd pay a few bucks to not have to deal with that

VostokProgram posted:

yes, you'd lose your colossal pile of junk shaking itself apart and exploding for silly reasons, i.e. the entire first half of the game

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 8, 2023

marumaru
May 20, 2013

queeb posted:

juno feels very mobile game like, but i guess thats because it is, since its just a renamed simple rockets 2, which some of you may already have in your steam library.

yeah it absolutely is. and the limitations both in scope and execution because it has to run on phones are very clear. it's still neat though and makes even the best procedural part mods for ksp look rudimentary. ksp mogs it in terms of part count though

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Pushing the game out well before it is ready for players in order to beat the end of the fiscal year, and then immediately laying off the technical director, seems like a clear signal from the publisher that they are not interested in making KSP2 a good game. What a loving bummer. I played for like 20 minutes on launch day and I was hoping to hang on for the first round of patches and see if things were heading in the right direction but I put in my refund request today. The way things are headed I'll be surprised if it doesn't hit $25 in a Steam sale by this time next year.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am on team ships falling apart is a feature. Besides making failures look cool it's also an engineering constraint that makes big parts worth the wait and encourages a variety of behaviors like in orbit assembly or refueling if your ship is getting too big or fiddly.

Ideally joint strength is a slider so the flopping rocket dong go boing and boom sickos and the build a rocket sized to attack and dethrone god sickos can both be happy.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Well gently caress, was thinking of getting back into ksp 1 but neither global construction or remotetech is updated, are there spiritual successor mods for those or something?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

zedprime posted:

I am on team ships falling apart is a feature. Besides making failures look cool it's also an engineering constraint that makes big parts worth the wait and encourages a variety of behaviors like in orbit assembly or refueling if your ship is getting too big or fiddly.

Ideally joint strength is a slider so the flopping rocket dong go boing and boom sickos and the build a rocket sized to attack and dethrone god sickos can both be happy.

Same. I only make rockets that look realistic. So payloads fit in fairings and I'm not using 40 boosters over 10 stages. I do orbital assembly for big parts and I really like the challenge of making probes as small as possible when dv is really limited.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Nalesh posted:

Well gently caress, was thinking of getting back into ksp 1 but neither global construction or remotetech is updated, are there spiritual successor mods for those or something?

remotetech is now part of stock ksp1 and there are tons of satellite refurbishment/orbit shift/retrofit contracts to keep you going back to networks you already set up

global construction is i think nowadays mostly replaced by extraplanetary launchpads

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VostokProgram posted:

The fundamental question is, should KSP rockets be breakable when you put too much force on them? If yes, then yeah you kinda need multiple parts with physics between them.

Calculating *interior* stresses inside a rigid body is a vastly more difficult problem than calculating forces on a spring-hinge connection *between* two rigid bodies. The wobbly spring-hinge thing works with iterative physics (weight -> force -> torque -> deflection -> repeat next frame) which is a good fit for video-game processing.

The downside to these physics is they can be hard to dial in. Ideally you'd like the flex was barely visible, but also a good simulation of the forces, and at some point you run out of precision. There's a direct "more wobble = more forgiving" relationship. KSP is real bad for this as well because the game is working on so many different scales.

OTOH the settings for breaking forces in KSP 1 are generally very high and rockets pretty much never break in half even when they really *should*. Instead you have a wobbly rocket that is hard to fly because you get control oscillations and can't maintain a heading. People blame the game for this ("rockets shouldn't wobble"), instead of seeing this as a flaw in their rocket design. Over the life of the game they've made the joints more rigid in response to these complaints, which required toning down breaking forces.

In my personal opinion, if I was calling the shots on either KSP 1 or 2, I would want to go back to some of these old decisions and rethink. I think it's possible to get this dialed in to a place where rockets aren't too wobbly but are also much more breakable. It especially helps that KSP 2 is starting with all the big 3 meter parts that allow a heavy lift rocket to be built with fewer parts.

Nalesh posted:

Global Construction is fine?
Remotetech hasn't been updated since 1.11 but the vast majority of mods continue to work with 1.12 just fine. AFAIK the last time KSP had a big compatibility break was 1.10.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

ellie the beep posted:

remotetech is now part of stock ksp1

It really, really is not.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Klyith posted:

The downside to these physics is they can be hard to dial in. Ideally you'd like the flex was barely visible, but also a good simulation of the forces, and at some point you run out of precision. There's a direct "more wobble = more forgiving" relationship. KSP is real bad for this as well because the game is working on so many different scales.

OTOH the settings for breaking forces in KSP 1 are generally very high and rockets pretty much never break in half even when they really *should*. Instead you have a wobbly rocket that is hard to fly because you get control oscillations and can't maintain a heading. People blame the game for this ("rockets shouldn't wobble"), instead of seeing this as a flaw in their rocket design. Over the life of the game they've made the joints more rigid in response to these complaints, which required toning down breaking forces.

imo this also misses the point that KSP isn't just a game about rockets, it's a game about making extremely lovely rockets which is a lot more fun than the stuff NASA engineers get paid to do. Game probably would never have gotten much bigger than, like, Orbiter if your trash can stapled to 100 boosters wasn't drooping and wobbling cartoonishly on the launchpad while Jeb gives it a big moronic grin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Klyith posted:

Calculating *interior* stresses inside a rigid body is a vastly more difficult problem than calculating forces on a spring-hinge connection *between* two rigid bodies. The wobbly spring-hinge thing works with iterative physics (weight -> force -> torque -> deflection -> repeat next frame) which is a good fit for video-game processing.

Why is this easier than doing loads between bodies but not modeling the deflection? You could get axial/shear/moment loads between bodies, see if it exceeds a limit and if so break the joint vs adding on the spring-hinge stuff and looking at deflection. You'll lose the modeling of a joint starting to lose position leading to increased loads but you'd fix the wobbly rockets issue while still having them come apart.