Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

pseudorandom name posted:

also I suspect gamepass is eating their lunch

it's certainly stealing indie devs who want exposure by offering to pay them more up front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Game pee rear end

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i still maintain that gamep rear end is a bad development for the market

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

gamepass is good for me

couple of indie devs I follow on twitter are pretty positive on it

Hard for other marketplaces/sellers to compete though

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sony competes by bribing their partners

Nintendo competes with platform exclusives

Steam competes with a larger library/better ux

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

of you're not one of those three I don't know what you'd do

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

epic has the weekly free games. i have 41 games on there and the only one i've paid for is the goose game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
hate to see what the steam UX is better than

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

I can't imagine how making games valueless in the minds of the consumer could cause problems for anybody.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bring back the og steam ux

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

gamepass is good value for money for the consumer, good for the indie studios who can get onto it, and a really smart business strategy for microsoft, but it's probably bad for the industry as a whole

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sapozhnik posted:

:yossame:

Elder Postsman posted:

epic has the weekly free games. i have 41 games on there and the only one i've paid for is the goose game

ya but then you gotta admit you use epic :whitewater:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

dioxazine posted:

i'm only aware of fanatical and GMG as humble competitors, at least in the west

Yeah Fanatical (terrible identity rebrand from Bundlestars imo) is the new best Key Sale site for me, HB has definitely gone downhill of late.

Fanatical has a one-dayer on RIMWORLD for 30% off right now if you were um-ahh about it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

haveblue posted:

hate to see what the steam UX is better than

try installing a gamepass game on pc

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i bought the wadjet eye bundle on humble recently and it was pretty good. that was the first i'd bought in years and years tho

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

They had a really good ARPG a while back, you could get all the BG games, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, and the new Pathfinder game + dlc for $20.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think the yoscolony may have expanded too fast. How do you all handle the food situation in rimworld? I feel like i'm constantly on the edge of having little to no food at all points in time.

corn

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

i bought the wadjet eye bundle on humble recently and it was pretty good. that was the first i'd bought in years and years tho

gently caress there was a wadjet eye bundle and i missed it

i probably had all the games but still

yes, for point and click adventures even I, known computer-hater Achmed Jones, will consent to touching a computer in my free time

id much rather do it on playstation or switch, but wadjet eye aint exactly doublefine or lucasarts

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

known computer-hater Achmed Jones, will consent to touching a computer in my free time

rimworld?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Achmed Jones posted:

gently caress there was a wadjet eye bundle and i missed it

i probably had all the games but still

yes, for point and click adventures even I, known computer-hater Achmed Jones, will consent to touching a computer in my free time

id much rather do it on playstation or switch, but wadjet eye aint exactly doublefine or lucasarts
had everything but emerald city confidential (no big loss tbqh) and their latest release, the excavation barrow one

for me the only new ones were shardlight, unavowed and strangeland. unavowed owns

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i tried it, but it was more a timesink activity than a fun game imo. if i ever needed to kill a lot of time, then rimworld would be great. but the opportunity cost is too high for the fun i have with it - four hours playing rimworld is two movies i don't watch, or a lot of hobby time, or two thirds of a hike or whatever. my problem is that there isn't enough time to do the things i want, not that there's too much of it.

it's not the sort of game i can play on a break from work, either, so it cant replace posting (tbh i'd love something more productive/enjoyable/etc to take the place of the time i spend posting, but the only real contender is looking at google's internal meme thing and no thank you ill stick with yospos)

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i think i am only going to play rimworld when i want to fast-forward through hours of my life. like, it was good when i had covid, just let the hours go by until i could sleep again.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

i think i am only going to play rimworld when i want to fast-forward through hours of my life. like, it was good when i had covid, just let the hours go by until i could sleep again.

perfect use for it imo

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Beats booze. Terraria was fantastic for that

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

drat i just killed godrick the grafted on my first try. i am the greatest elden ring player that has ever lived

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

hell yeah

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

man i want to get to late game nioh 2 but last time i booted it up i was stuck on some blob boss in a colosseum and i gave up. how to cheese?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Just play sekiro op i did and am instantly having fun.

Also while im obviously rusty it feels good making GBS threads on these mini bosses when i distinctly remember having to skip several of them first go around for a while

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

started baldurs gate enhanced edition and while i wouldnt expect a newer gamer to tolerate all the user hostile poo poo, i am having a big ol nostalgia blast. a+++

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

being able to kill drizzt in BG1 made it all worth it. take that salvatore

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
kill elminster too, gently caress that sex weirdo

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah Fanatical (terrible identity rebrand from Bundlestars imo) is the new best Key Sale site for me, HB has definitely gone downhill of late.

Fanatical has a one-dayer on RIMWORLD for 30% off right now if you were um-ahh about it.

I've started using eneba.com sometimes you have to type in a key from a grainy photo but it's never not worked for me and is very cheap + nice ui

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you kill him in bg1 he remembers you doing it when he shows up in bg2, it's awesome

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I still think EverQuest takes the cake for hostile. Levelling up took hours and hours of grinding. If you died you lost hours of work. Because of the games' hosed up pathing and the fact that monsters didn't have a leash mechanic, it was entirely possible to die to something out of your control, like someone accidentally pulling 20 monsters and then running to the zone line before they died to try to save themselves. You could delevel, too. And if you were a caster, when you did hit a new tier of spells, you didn't just get them, you had to buy them, and they weren't cheap. Despite the name there weren't many quests, and any that were actually worth doing eventually got nerfed to the point where they weren't. The optimal way to play was 'tediously careful' because loving up was so punishing.

And there wasn't any nice separation between high-level areas and low-level areas. Once you left the newbie zone there was probably at least one thing walking around the zone with a huge aggro radius that would turn you to paste in a half second.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

i don't rule out that this could be true, but not like i am such a friend of the market as it exists that this is an obviously bad thing. historically i've been a fan of steam, but tbh it could take a lot of shaking up at this rate, as its current moderation strategy is pretty bad and the overall experience is either static or in decline.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i don't rule out that this could be true, but not like i am such a friend of the market as it exists that this is an obviously bad thing. historically i've been a fan of steam, but tbh it could take a lot of shaking up at this rate, as its current moderation strategy is pretty bad and the overall experience is either static or in decline.

I don't really know what context "moderation strategy" means but valve / steam have been killing it lately with proton and steam deck not sure how you're saying they're in decline with the platform

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

I don't really know what context "moderation strategy" means but valve / steam have been killing it lately with proton and steam deck not sure how you're saying they're in decline with the platform

i mean, comparing the steam deck to game pass is not the most obvious axis to judge things on. proton is also cool, but it is hardly the focus of the service.

steam is packed to the gills with absolute garbage content, the content offered is largely undiscoverable, and the community features like tags, reviews and curators is mostly meme/bot junk. the store experience getting steadily worse, the client has not otherwise changed in a helpful way in many years (the new chat still being glitchy, and arguably worse than the last). all this in context of them taking a larger cut than their competitors, turning immense profits on a hands-off self-publishing jungle.

even if one argues about all those points though, it is again unclear what "worse for the market" means (and whether it is desirable or not) but steam being the only store that matters is surely not "good for the market" (whether that is desirable or not).

i still buy most of my games on steam and use it daily, but i wont agree that valve is doing a bang-up job here.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dioxazine posted:

real answer: you should also try foraging if you have berry bushes and take a look at grow times/nutrition for your plants. you generally want 2x plots of rice to anything that takes 1.5 times longer. as a rule of thumb, having one corn plot to three other plots makes it easier. so 2 rice, 1 potato, 1 corn should handle early game stuff pretty well

Yeah I have corn/rice growing, and I get a ton of meat from hunting. Maybe I just need to up the number of workshops I have, and assign more dedicated cooks.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

Just play sekiro op i did and am instantly having fun.

Also while im obviously rusty it feels good making GBS threads on these mini bosses when i distinctly remember having to skip several of them first go around for a while

i have the brain problem where my brain does not engage with games i've played and beat before*. i think mgs1 and 3 and final fantasy tactics are the only games i've beaten more than once.

*unless it's a rougelike and designed around being beat multiple times thus short and dynamic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean, comparing the steam deck to game pass is not the most obvious axis to judge things on. proton is also cool, but it is hardly the focus of the service.

steam is packed to the gills with absolute garbage content, the content offered is largely undiscoverable, and the community features like tags, reviews and curators is mostly meme/bot junk. the store experience getting steadily worse, the client has not otherwise changed in a helpful way in many years (the new chat still being glitchy, and arguably worse than the last). all this in context of them taking a larger cut than their competitors, turning immense profits on a hands-off self-publishing jungle.

even if one argues about all those points though, it is again unclear what "worse for the market" means (and whether it is desirable or not) but steam being the only store that matters is surely not "good for the market" (whether that is desirable or not).

i still buy most of my games on steam and use it daily, but i wont agree that valve is doing a bang-up job here.

I guess i disagree heavily on all those points? Have you tried to use the microsoft app store? PlayStation store? Nintendo shop? They're all significantly harder to find and browse good games or games outside whatever predefined category they picked (nintendo is really bad about this). Steam is basically the only gaming storefront where i can organically find new games that interest me and are good. Ive picked up at least a half dozen smaller games this year just by browsing tags or my recommendations, most were right on the money.

Sure there is a lot of shovelware and it could be improved but, in my experience they do a good job hiding it or giving you the tools to ignore it. Definitely in the greenlight era the shovelware was out of control and in your face but they've since appeared to have figured out how to hide it, at least for me.

I hate browsing the PlayStation store or Nintendo store, they're completely worthless and only for going in knowing what you want already.

Edit: GoG has a good store too but it helps they have a specific focus