Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

basically, do your own thing, imo. when you hit upon success you'll know it. just keep some mental notes for the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

he still has his car review up

https://www.kenrockwell.com/porsche/cayenne-turbo-s/index.htm

it's so stupid and gushing that i wonder if he told the porsche dealership "i'm a famous photographer, knock 5 grand off and i'll write you a positive review with beautiful photos on my site that gets 100,000 views a month"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Sagebrush posted:

he still has his car review up

https://www.kenrockwell.com/porsche/cayenne-turbo-s/index.htm

it's so stupid and gushing that i wonder if he told the porsche dealership "i'm a famous photographer, knock 5 grand off and i'll write you a positive review with beautiful photos on my site that gets 100,000 views a month"

lol @ assuming he paid for the car

also ugh god the cayenne is a dogshit ugly porsche

do not take any of ken rockwell's advice

jesus christ

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

lol @ assuming he paid for the car

also ugh god the cayenne is a dogshit ugly porsche

do not take any of ken rockwell's advice

jesus christ
the taycan was the first not-a-coupe that porsche did that doesn’t look like a total piece of poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also i know that ken looks at his traffic sources. hi man.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

hey ken, you smell like hot dogs

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Sagebrush posted:

yes ken, the something awful domain is entirely appropriate. you've been featured

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ken rockwell is good because he makes me feel much better about my photography

because I can look at his poo poo and also his success, and honestly say my work is better than his (he really is that bad) and it gives me hope

someone one said ken rockwell was the rob liefeld of photography

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

those porsche pictures are online used car dealership level

like, they're not bad, but lmao

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Achmed Jones posted:

last night i spent some time reading ken rockwell's site. here are my thoughts, more or less in order

* who is this guy
* oh ok he's a professional photographer
* this is all way oversaturated, i don't like it
* compose in-camera, that makes some sense, this might help me
* ok yeah i've probably been caring too much about gear and need to focus on the fundamentals, especially now that i have the gear to do all the things i want
* oh this is a really nice picture, i guess the oversaturated works sometimes
* another nice one, ok, i'm starting to get it
* jesus the colors on this make my eyes hurt
* yeah composition is important, i really need to up my game here. these are great tips
* ok this writing guy's style is kind of annoying, but he seems to know a lot about photography
* the remarks on conveying a simple idea clearly are spot-on and were what i needed to read (not that, you know, they aren't all over yciapos etc...)
* lmao this review is gross, it feels like leica's marketing department paid per word
* wait this review directly contradicts homeboy's advice, this _is_ super gross, i'm out, gently caress this

so my take-aways are:

1. Get the broad strokes of composition right - perhaps with unfocused eyes - first
2. Do the subtractive thing and frame the shot to only have the stuff you want in it
3. You should end up with a clear and simple presentation of an idea
4. Now you can get the details right to make it a really special, surprising, good photograph
5. It's ok to use photography to show things as you imagine them, or as you want them to be instead of exactly as they are.
Corollary: don't go crazy with the saturation or it looks really bad
6. I should pretend I'm shooting a film camera, and take fewer good pictures - perhaps fiddling with camera settings - rather than taking a lot of similar photos

A lot of what I struggle with is that I mostly in terms of snapshots - I did _this_ with my son, I hiked _that_ trail, I saw _this_ animal. All the stuff above really amounts to "try hard to take a good photograph ya dingus." And honestly I think that's what I should do. There's a difference between taking good snapshots and taking thoughtful photographs. I take good snapshots, I think. Anyone can. You just take pics where you mostly get focus, exposure, etc. right, follow some basic composition guidelines, and you'll do pretty well. But to really improve, I'm gonna need to really try to _take good photos_ where maybe I don't care about documenting the subject for the family photobook so much and focus on conveying a particular idea, concept, etc. other than that which is obviously the subject.

so i think that if i want to get better, i can't keep doing "check out this cool __________" as the primary driver of my photography. so the thing i quote above, i gotta do better than

to that end, do any of you know any good photography textbooks? i want to know about different photographers' styles and what makes them good (please dear lord with reprints of the photos so I can see them!) and also i want shooting exercises to help me practice. i also just got a massive pay cut so the jones family hobby budget is drastically reduced, so something that you used in your high school or college photography class a decade or two ago that is availabe for $6 used on amazon would be perfect

i like to think of him as “k-rock, the panchromatic shock, rockwell”

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
also mods namechange please to “Al Rokkor” tia

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

wait until you find out about peter lik

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what’s likma

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just going thru the photos I took tonight

422 photos to look thru lol

my process initially is to go thru them all, and each photo either gets no rating, or it gets 3 if it's usable/worthwhile at all.

I'll go back and give a 4 to good photos and a 5 to (what I consider are) great photos. usually end up with about 20 5s

this is a definite good one, and right at the start. usually I go thru and sort them all into worthwhile or not before doing editing, but it's fun to do a quick one or two as I'm going thru and send it off to the model who replied with "I love thissssss omg" in this particular instance which gives me that precious validation

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 13, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

these are pretty good

not to be too harsh but this is less so, lol. you can't tell what she's doing since you can't see her feet. it looks like she's blasting a fart really

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ken Rockwell is a firm believer that women can’t be photographers because :biotruths:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Seriously? Lol. Do you have a link to that page?

I remember one article of his about "how to be rich" or some poo poo and part of it is not wasting money on frivolities like giving your wife flowers. Instead, he sometimes slides 20 dollars across the table to his wife and says "that's flowers" and she loves it because he's so responsible with money

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

can’t find the exact one but https://mail.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-learn-photography.htm has a “Women and children take pictures because they like them”

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lmao I never noticed this part of his footer before

quote:

As this page is copyrighted and formally registered, it is unlawful to make copies, especially in the form of printouts for personal use. If you wish to make a printout for personal use, you are granted one-time permission only if you PayPal me $5.00 per printout or part thereof.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

well im glad that i came to the correct opinion, this guy fuckin sucks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

these are pretty good
thanks

she's doing the heavy lifting tho lol

quote:

not to be too harsh but this is less so, lol. you can't tell what she's doing since you can't see her feet. it looks like she's blasting a fart really

ahah that's fine, I mean not the fart part, but I cna't control what weird poo poo people think

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

thanks

she's doing the heavy lifting tho lol

ahah that's fine, I mean not the fart part, but I cna't control what weird poo poo people think

that is part of good composition though, at least with a live subject. you're supposed to suggest what kind of feels you get off of an image, even if that's not necessarily what happened. example,

i love this picture, it looks like eggy is very calm and interested in what's going on. that's only partially true though: in reality he was incredibly nervous and had started barking because my wife had just gone inside

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you know how I feel about rules man

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

i wonder how much it pisses off ken that pentax 'won' digital SLRs

as has been discussed at great length, that dude has a number of personal failings that make it very difficult to garner anything of value from what he posts* though i guess you can compare his own reviews against one another for some kind of internal consistency.

i've always had a hard time reading and participating in gear-focused camera forums because there are so many people in the hobby who are just like him. i am reminded of the one tamron workshop i went to back in like 2009 where an obnoxious white dude cornered me and, unprompted, produced a rant about how "those j*ps are so fukkin crafty" with regard to how good whatever lens he was testing was. i dunno i threw away his business card he gave me "because you seem cool" while he was watching.

it's not to say that there isn't anything to be learned from looking at materials generated by people that bring profound extracurricular opinions to the pursuit, but it's real hard to want to dig past open bias and engage when they're like that. ken's been the same way for the entire time i've been into the hobby. puts way too much stock in what brand is printed on your gear, absolutely none in artistic expression via the medium, and takes way too many opportunities to remind the world why nobody should listen to old dudes. last time he came up in this thread, that was when i found he was writing he considers things made in south korea to be substandard in some way without offering anything except the country name. and i go now and see his front page and top of his gallery page are bedecked in 2008-2010-era hdr, oversaturation alongside too much contrast, and generally boring framing. then there's the "taking better photos" in the <title> tag. i dunno about that.

of course, as we have all prattled on about endlessly, it's all subjective. that said, ken's bullshit appears to be derived solely from attempting to get people to click his affiliate links.

picture for the picture thread:

taking and processing this again today, i would have definitely brought the exposure up some and i would have gotten all of his toes in frame. i also see that 2006-era color noise and yep, iso 3200 at f4, still only good enough for 1/15. he was posing well for me though, looking at birds outside the window if I remember correctly.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
doing another shoot this morning

there's a bit more riding on this one. well, she does a pinup look, so there's a lot more time and effort on her part for preparation look wise, which is a bit more pressure than I am used to lol

spoke to her about the location and she said "I've never shot there professionally, just with my camera"

so she thinks I am a pro

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nurrwick posted:

taking and processing this again today, i would have definitely brought the exposure up some and i would have gotten all of his toes in frame. i also see that 2006-era color noise and yep, iso 3200 at f4, still only good enough for 1/15. he was posing well for me though, looking at birds outside the window if I remember correctly.

i like it :) what a handsome little guy. dogs are surprisingly difficult subjects, they are more adhd-brained than i am ffs. i am fortunate that they love to pose for me though

eggy almost makes it effortless lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

it's still pretty difficult to look at pics of zeus because he died recently, but man did that guy also love to strike a pose

rest easy pal :sigh:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean yes art is subjective but it's not actually _that_ subjective, and it can be discussed and reasoned about. "it's subjective anyway" is what someone says when the conversation is over. sometimes it's a way for lovely artists to ignore valid criticism and sometimes it's a way for good artists to ignore stupid bullshit criticism, but either way it puts an end to discussion and thought.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what post(s) are you replying to ?

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

probably my unending tome

there are limits to how far subjectivity can get your choices, definitely, and you should be able to explain to peers your work and what you were going for, i guess. i think i would be willing to say i don’t agree with ken’s choices, and i further think many of them are objectively boring or bad. i feel that way with a lot of oldhead guys. there’s a portraiture dude out in the shenandoah valley whose ranch i drove past once. i looked him up to see what kind of work gets you a huge plot of land with your name on the stone wall out front. it turns out “terrible exposure and color work” is in there, as well as “thoughtless background composition” and “often the camera was just slightly off level.” so if that’s the bar, there’s hope for whoever needs it!

but yeah fair point about art is subjective being shorthand for “this is something i don’t want to engage with anymore”

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

well im glad that i came to the correct opinion, this guy fuckin sucks

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i hope no innocent japanese folks got caught in the crossfire when america harnessed the power of the sun. probably not, ken surely would have mentioned it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

this is the exact face of a twitter bio that says “Christian|Husband|Father|Photographer”

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I harnessed the power of the harness to look like the world's biggest dork

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

this is the exact face of a twitter bio that says “Christian|Husband|Father|Photographer”

off to capture some correctly exposed pictures harnessing the power of the sun

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

shitposter|chronically confused|dilettante|father

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

off to capture some correctly exposed pictures harnessing the power of the sun

make sure you bring an nd filter

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

k-rock “the christian shock” super-father rockwell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

been working in my editing skills. what do you all think?