Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Lyon is a fun character.

She starts out godawful but quickly grows a great deal.

My wife listened to the audiobook via osmosis (me) and she genuinely loathes Lyonette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Same, but Lyonette alone had to speedrun growing up or die. And new Lyonette is a great character.

I didn't like Erin in book 1 either. I felt like she abused the kindness of Relc, Klblch and Krshia while ignoring their warnings. And it took a friend dying for her to take things seriously. I started liking her after the undead attack on the Inn & Liscor. She started to realize that her actions affect the lives of others.

Our sniffing necromancer was great from the start though. He was mooching free meals, but he wasn't pretending he wasn't.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'd say that Lyon is my actual overall favorite character in the story although that fluctuates at various points and there's a lot of contenders. Her character growth over the first few volumes is just so good.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Ar'Kendrythist Patreon: God damnit Erick. If you perform time magic deep in the Dark and feel a loving tearing sensation, maybe take a sec to check in with your pal the god of time and death? Just make sure you didn't mess up anything important? It would literally take ten seconds.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Reading through the Pawn chapter now, and I can't help but notice the re-invention of religion by the Antinium on the continent that sounds like "Israel" when spoken aloud. TWI: Vol 3

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Reading through the Pawn chapter now, and I can't help but notice the re-invention of religion by the Antinium on the continent that sounds like "Israel" when spoken aloud. TWI: Vol 3

Origin of Izril is Issryssil.

Also, some english people seriously Israel with "ay"??

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
So it’s pretty loving weird that Elaine suddenly jumped into transvestigator mode out of nowhere in the latest btdem patreon chapter.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Plorkyeran posted:

So it’s pretty loving weird that Elaine suddenly jumped into transvestigator mode out of nowhere in the latest btdem patreon chapter.

wait what

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The context is that she has just met five people wearing armor.

quote:

Only an idiot teenager boy wouldn’t be able to tell who was a man and a woman under all the armor they were wearing. Women held themselves slightly differently, had a lower center of gravity, and just plain moved differently. The differences were subtle, but I hadn’t studied medicine for years for nothing. Three of the [spoiler] were women, including the [Leader], and the rest were men.

This is completely unprompted and irrelevant to the rest of the scene and immediately made me think of those people who compulsively post "this is a picture of a man you can tell because of how he angles his feet while standing and only an idiot would fail to notice that" (usually about a picture of a cis woman).

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Beneath the Dragoneye Moons, Book 11: Elaine Does Ten Years Of Hard Time In Exterreri For Problematic Assumptions About The Genders Of Individuals Based On Secondary Sex Characteristics

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Wow, that was a lot of webtoons suggestions. Thanks!

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Super Supportive chapter 25 is finally out and lol at Alden immediately summoned after donning his bomb resistant tench coat.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
elaine, no! put the callipers away! oh, phew, they're not fireproof.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
The quality of that football manager lit rpg story has taken a massive nosedive since that author decided that Max should be an incredible footballer.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It started really strong but it has definitely felt like the author didn't expect to have to stick with it for this long and has no real idea where they're going with the story at the moment. Which is, to be fair, an extremely common problem with web serials...

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Plorkyeran posted:

The context is that she has just met five people wearing armor.

This is completely unprompted and irrelevant to the rest of the scene and immediately made me think of those people who compulsively post "this is a picture of a man you can tell because of how he angles his feet while standing and only an idiot would fail to notice that" (usually about a picture of a cis woman).

Didn't she just perform gender confirmation surgery a few chapters ago?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Lot 49 posted:

The quality of that football manager lit rpg story has taken a massive nosedive since that author decided that Max should be an incredible footballer.

Dispute the fact that it's literally called Player Manager Max being able to play well has been an unpleasant surprise, I agree.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Plorkyeran posted:

You mean someone who's obsessively studied human anatomy can tell at a glance who's a man and who's a woman under non-hard armor? That's not exactly a crazy skill to have, and of course she'd notice 'hey, Ranger teams now have a bunch of women on them, as opposed to back in my day!'

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Lot 49 posted:

Yeah I have to agree, for me it's just that reading about someone being good at football is a lot more boring than reading about someone being good at finding players or managing or whatever. Like the moment-to-moment action of a football game or most other sports is not especially nicely translated to the page, and there was a lot less focus on that stuff before.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i think max is going to eat poo poo as a player. he's going to discover that the curse only lets him play in 10 matches a year without a perk or something and he'll just barely manage to see out a contract before swearing off of playing. idk why exactly i feel that way except that the football playing sections don't feel like they're building a foundation for this to be a permanent part of the story

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah I have to agree, for me it's just that reading about someone being good at football is a lot more boring than reading about someone being good at finding players or managing or whatever. Like the moment-to-moment action of a football game or most other sports is not especially nicely translated to the page, and there was a lot less focus on that stuff before.

That's a big part of the problem yes.

The other part is that the stakes and tension of the story were derived from Max trying to break into the world of football using his superpower but constantly getting push back and opposition because other people don't have his power and therefore can't understand his decisions.

Now Max is as fast as Mbappe with the free kicks and passing of Beckham it feels like he's already won. He got to quit his crappy job and sign a pro contract and I didn't care because he barely had to try to earn it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I suspect the few actual football fans reading are actually into the power fantasy of suddenly becoming really good at football, as much as it might trigger the rest of us neckbeards.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Megazver posted:

I suspect the few actual football fans reading are actually into the power fantasy of suddenly becoming really good at football, as much as it might trigger the rest of us neckbeards.

I'm not a huge football fan, but agree that yall are being kinda weird about it. It's clear that the curse has drawbacks and I'm not sure how 'guy is know good at sport' is any more fantastical than 'guy now sees video game ui overlaying real life'.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The Gang reinvents Romeo and Juliet TWI: Vol 3

Hah, what a lovely chapter. The narrator for my audiobook was clearly enjoying a chance to do a fantasy version of Shakespeare.

Edit: Also, I'm having a hard time believing Magnolia is really a villain despite Ryoka's misgivings. I don't know if she's really a good person, but she does seem to at least not be actively trying to conquer the world or do terrible things writ large with tech from Earth. She's certainly a more fleshed out character now after Erin and Ryoka's visits to her. Plus, the history book's rendition of her impact on the first Antinium war paints her in a very forward-looking and positive light. Though I guess that historian was sponsored by Magnolia, so they would.

Double Edit: My favorite bag of bones is really turning into a villain huh?

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 17, 2023

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fox's Tongue and Kirin's Bone's first volume is gonna get taken off RR for a KU release come the 21st.

It's really good, so if you've not read it yet you might want to soon~~~

Or just wait and pay the 2bux or whatever I guess.

e: Going to be taken down ahead of the release on the 21st.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 17, 2023

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I subscribe to KU and am thus invincible.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Double Edit: My favorite bag of bones is really turning into a villain huh?

Yeah...

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Edit: Also, I'm having a hard time believing Magnolia is really a villain despite Ryoka's misgivings. I don't know if she's really a good person, but she does seem to at least not be actively trying to conquer the world or do terrible things writ large with tech from Earth. She's certainly a more fleshed out character now after Erin and Ryoka's visits to her. Plus, the history book's rendition of her impact on the first Antinium war paints her in a very forward-looking and positive light. Though I guess that historian was sponsored by Magnolia, so they would.

In-universe books as source for unreliable narration is a recurring theme that's pretty fun. Magnolia is complicated, but Ryoka's insane paranoia is kind of part of why people dislike her so much in the early volumes.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TWI Patreon Interlude (not numbered, but after 9.40 GG): I don't know if it was because I was on a plane while reading it, but I was getting kinda emotional at the ending

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I appreciated that it explored more of the emotional impact that earthers (and isekai protagonists in general) have on native inventors and the Pallass crew wanting to use the basic principles the earthers gave without simply copying the tech, so that they can have technology that they can say is uniquely theirs.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
making ball bearings is not a simple thing, if you could do it by dripping iron shot it would be done like that

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Read the latest Super Supportive. Really curious to read the next chapter, since it will likely reveal a lot of important information about the setting.

One thing I find funny is that the story already shot down my theory that the "Let me carry your luggage" skill could apply to metaphysical things. But the way it currently works still has a lot of potential. I'm curious if the summon he just received is because of the clothes he just bought.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Selkie Myth posted:

You mean someone who's obsessively studied human anatomy can tell at a glance who's a man and who's a woman under non-hard armor? That's not exactly a crazy skill to have, and of course she'd notice 'hey, Ranger teams now have a bunch of women on them, as opposed to back in my day!'

you have to admit that someone being able to definitively tell whether a person is WOMAN or MAN and having contempt for anyone who can't is going to set off alarms for biological determinist tripwires, especially right now

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Selkie Myth posted:

"someone who's obsessively studied human anatomy", or anyone who isn't "an idiot teenage boy"? Because what's written in the chapter is the second one.

Edit: The paragraph sounds a lot like the "we can always tell" bullshit that transphobes spout, is my issue with it, and I think changing it is a good idea so as not to trip people up when they read it when it's not what you intended to mean.

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 17, 2023

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Yeah, if the intention was to emphasize that female rangers have become normal, the passage as written utterly falls. Instead it's emphasizing that any moron can tell the difference between men and women at a glance. Which is a bit yikes.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Piell posted:

"someone who's obsessively studied human anatomy", or anyone who isn't "an idiot teenage boy"? Because what's written in the chapter is the second one.

Edit: The paragraph sounds a lot like the "we can always tell" bullshit that transphobes spout, is my issue with it, and I think changing it is a good idea so as not to trip people up when they read it when it's not what you intended to mean.

Yeah alright, I'll change it! Thanks for the feedback

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Selkie Myth posted:

Yeah alright, I'll change it! Thanks for the feedback

Thank you for listening to my concerns.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well, it looks like love can bloom on the battlefield. I see this little battlefield romance has drawn on a few elements of the Romeo and Julliet story from the previous Erin chapters.

This book has been pretty light on Erin and Ryoka's adventures so far, but I've liked all these side stories so far.
. TWI: VOL 3

Not done yet but so far I think I like this book more than the last one.

Edit: Actually, I didn't really find myself taken by the Horns chapters, so maybe not all of them.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 18, 2023

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well, it looks like love can bloom on the battlefield. I see this little battlefield romance has drawn on a few elements of the Romeo and Julliet story from the previous Erin chapters.

This book has been pretty light on Erin and Ryoka's adventures so far, but I've liked all these side stories so far.
. TWI: VOL 3

Not done yet but so far I think I like this book more than the last one.

Edit: Actually, I didn't really find myself taken by the Horns chapters, so maybe not all of them.

You've started to get to the point where TWI evolves from a story about Erin and sometimes Ryoka to a story about the world where everyone is a main character in their own right. It's one of the best things about TWI, imho, the fact that pretty much any character can carry their own chapter. Some do it better than others but it's still cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought of the incredible utility of the two-way teleporter at the end of The Wandering Inn Vol 3. I can easily see Erin setting up copies of these doors all around the world and having her inn be a hub for people anywhere to visit.

I'm liking the goblin storyline so far in Vol 4, and my worry about Rags going to the dark side seems to have been put to rest with her having just freed the human woman from the mountain.

Lyon has really made a complete change from her state at the start of the series. Now she is absolutely a likable and hard-working young girl/woman, if still not at Erin's caliber as an innkeeper. Having the older sister or mother role for Mrsha has really helped her grow up.
. TWI: Vol 4