Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lady Radia posted:

i know this is the football thread but

lol spoilermakers in the most hosed up way

I'm paying so little attention, I didn't even do my usual coinflips to fill out a bracket, did someone get Purdue Harbored? More importantly, was the team ranked #2 when they faced Purdue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm paying so little attention, I didn't even do my usual coinflips to fill out a bracket, did someone get Purdue Harbored? More importantly, was the team ranked #2 when they faced Purdue?

They were ranked like 363rd in height in the nation while Purdue was #1, mostly based on one giant oaf (he is a pretty damned good version of Purdue's giant oafs for the record and none of this is his fault). And the other team ended the game with two absolute gently caress off slap that poo poo away blocks--not of the big guy but others--it was pretty beautiful if you happen to not be a Purdue fan.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

They were ranked like 363rd in height in the nation while Purdue was #1, mostly based on one giant oaf (he is a pretty damned good version of Purdue's giant oafs for the record and none of this is his fault). And the other team ended the game with two absolute gently caress off slap that poo poo away blocks--not of the big guy but others--it was pretty beautiful if you happen to not be a Purdue fan.

I'd laugh, but I feel bad thinking about what Purdue Pete is gonna do to those players.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Cthulu Carl posted:

The highlights are worth it especially the game sealer 3 from FDU. Hilarious that it's mostly Purdue doing stuff but they never dominated.

Edit: meant to post a link
https://youtu.be/TWX7isgfGQc

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 18, 2023

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

I was talking brackets with some acquaintances Friday evening, just before that game got started. I remember telling them that I didn't like Purdue but thought they had the easiest region. LOL. I didn't have Purdue in the final four, but I'm sure I won't survive the weekend with my teams intact.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Trying to think of a football equivalent to Purdue getting clowned by FDU, who...

- Didn't even win their conference (getting into the NCAA on a technicality because their conference winner is transitioning to D1)
- Had to win a First Four game just to play Purdue
- Had losses to Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, Longwood, Queens (which is not in Queens), and Stonehill
- Has an average player height of 6'1"
- Doesn't have a pep band
- Has a logo made in MS Word

Stanford over USC in '07, I suppose, though the Cardinal were sllllllowly going places. FDU will never win a (non-First Four) tournament game again, ever.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

You say that like theyre not beating FAU tomorrow

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Alaois posted:

You say that like theyre not beating FAU tomorrow

This.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Name aside, FAU is good. 20-point win.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Vols bitch

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

D.N. Nation posted:

Name aside, FAU is good. 20-point win.

Yeah I was very impressed with them against Memphis

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Aztec Bitch

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

Trying to think of a football equivalent to Purdue getting clowned by FDU, who...

- Didn't even win their conference (getting into the NCAA on a technicality because their conference winner is transitioning to D1)
- Had losses to Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, Longwood, Queens (which is not in Queens), and Stonehill

Stanford over USC in '07, I suppose, though the Cardinal were sllllllowly going places. FDU will never win a (non-First Four) tournament game again, ever.

You can pick from several Ohio State losses to Purdue.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

D.N. Nation posted:

Stanford and USC are conference-mates, so no. Maybe the App State upset at Michigan?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

harperdc posted:

Stanford and USC are conference-mates, so no. Maybe the App State upset at Michigan?

App was running the FCS during that period though.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

There's no real analogue in football because this game would never be allowed to happen in the first place. Too much aristocracy.

I guess the closest we could get would be a 5-7 team that made a bowl game on APR beating the #5 team

So, Rice beating Alabama

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Howard beating UNLV is should probably be up there

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

D.N. Nation posted:

I really never understood the "you can't do post-season play when you transition up" rule. Going down I understand because you'd have a scholarship advantage but going up? What advantage is there being a team going from Division II to Division I?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

forkboy84 posted:

I really never understood the "you can't do post-season play when you transition up" rule. Going down I understand because you'd have a scholarship advantage but going up? What advantage is there being a team going from Division II to Division I?

The logic is to prevent schools from jumping up when they have a good team and then dropping back down. Which I kinda get if you want some stability of membership. But you can handle it other ways. The no postseason punishes the players for no reason.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

drunk leprechaun posted:

The no postseason punishes the players for no reason.

This is the NCAA mission statement isn’t it?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

drunk leprechaun posted:

The logic is to prevent schools from jumping up when they have a good team and then dropping back down. Which I kinda get if you want some stability of membership. But you can handle it other ways.

Also just seems like a moot point in this day and age. It's unfathomable that an elite FCS team would jump up for a year or two, go to the trouble of scheduling as an FBS independent (since not even C-USA is going to say "sure, you can play with us for a season and drop back down"), and scrap out 6-8 wins, all in the hope that there are few enough bowl eligible teams that they can snag a Frisco Bowl bid.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

General Dog posted:

Also just seems like a moot point in this day and age. It's unfathomable that an elite FCS team would jump up for a year or two, go to the trouble of scheduling as an FBS independent (since not even C-USA is going to say "sure, you can play with us for a season and drop back down"), and scrap out 6-8 wins, all in the hope that there are few enough bowl eligible teams that they can snag a Frisco Bowl bid.

There are sports other than football. You know that right?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

drunk leprechaun posted:

There are sports other than football. You know that right?

Football is the only one with two distinct subdivisions in Division 1, is it not?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

General Dog posted:

Football is the only one with two distinct subdivisions in Division 1, is it not?
The start of this conversation was around a team that was moving up from D2 to D1.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ah okay, I just assumed we were talking about JMU again. I still have a hard time seeing the conferences at any level accommodating teams capriciously jumping up and down, and independence in non-football sports is pretty untenable, but maybe there was a time that was a thing.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

General Dog posted:

Ah okay, I just assumed we were talking about JMU again. I still have a hard time seeing the conferences at any level accommodating teams capriciously jumping up and down, and independence in non-football sports is pretty untenable, but maybe there was a time that was a thing.

I don't disagree, but I could maybe see it being possible.

Like if NDSU wanted to jump up to the MAC for a year to make a run at the 12 team playoff I could see it maybe happening. But the whole reclasdifying thing is changing currently, so who knows where it lands.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

dirty shrimp money posted:

There's no real analogue in football because this game would never be allowed to happen in the first place. Too much aristocracy.

I guess the closest we could get would be a 5-7 team that made a bowl game on APR beating the #5 team

So, Rice beating Alabama

Yeah pretty much. It would be like one of those November FCS "bye week" games in the SEC where the Citadel somehow upsets Alabama.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

no three-peat :(

https://twitter.com/SethWEmerson/status/1638278549655244829?s=20

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

“Oh this is what they do that let them whoop our asses so bad”

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

*checks scores*

football school?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

*checks scores*

football school?

It ain't baseball :black101:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Well there’s always softball I guess? Maybe the bass fishing team is hot again? I know the hockey team is better than they have any right to be.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/Vol_Sports/status/1638592441384148993?s=20

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Reading through that thread the un-named other team might be 2013 Louisville?

Obviously no one cares about that stat but that being the other school makes it even worse. But looking it up a Sugar Bowl win, a national men's BB championship, and a women's loss in the finals. poo poo, you just got completely owned by Louisville trying to brag about yourself in what should have been a fine year to be proud of.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Grittybeard posted:

Reading through that thread the un-named other team might be 2013 Louisville?

Obviously no one cares about that stat but that being the other school makes it even worse. But looking it up a Sugar Bowl win, a national men's BB championship, and a women's loss in the finals. poo poo, you just got completely owned by Louisville trying to brag about yourself in what should have been a fine year to be proud of.

Excuse me, but I think you mean a #1 ranking in the final Coaches Poll

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I would laugh at Tennessee but UF is pretty much poo poo at everything except baseball and gymnastics these days.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeeMajors posted:

I would laugh at Tennessee but UF is pretty much poo poo at everything except baseball and gymnastics these days.

Fire Scott Stricklin

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

UT is by far not the only athletic department that belches out VOL ATHLETICS IS 1 OUT OF 8 PROGRAMS TO WIN AT LEAST 8 GAMES IN FOOTBALL AND NOT LOSE ON TUESDAYS IN BASKETBALL 5 OUT OF THE LAST 6 YEARS tweets. I've always wondered who exactly that poo poo is for; the actual fans are always <funny facepalm gif> in the comments

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

D.N. Nation posted:

UT is by far not the only athletic department that belches out VOL ATHLETICS IS 1 OUT OF 8 PROGRAMS TO WIN AT LEAST 8 GAMES IN FOOTBALL AND NOT LOSE ON TUESDAYS IN BASKETBALL 5 OUT OF THE LAST 6 YEARS tweets. I've always wondered who exactly that poo poo is for; the actual fans are always <funny facepalm gif> in the comments

OU definitely pumped up poo poo like that until last season lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
They'll never top that stupid Penn State super bowl brag.