Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Salt Fish posted:

AI is poo poo technology that is going to infest the internet with unimaginable pollution.

arguably, it already has. search is already useless because of seo spam and content mill stuff, and the new llms have just made it trivial to automate generating things that appear to be content. stable diffusion is the visual equivalent

thankfully you can still avoid algorithmic feeds and find curated content in various forms. this thread, for example

i think tumblr is actually pretty good for that too

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Salt Fish posted:

AI is poo poo technology that is going to infest the internet with unimaginable pollution. Its right up there with facial recognition as software you should not work on.

i’m really starting to buy into the dead internet hypothesis. within five to ten years everything except small trusted private communities is going to be a hosed to death wasteland of incomprehensible noise. people will abandon social media as it becomes entirely untrustworthy. at least that’s my hope

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

PIZZA.BAT posted:

dead internet

say no more, im onboard

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

log onto the necroweb

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

log onto the necroweb

unfortunately, it probably won't be hosted by cassandra peterson

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i’m really starting to buy into the dead internet hypothesis. within five to ten years everything except small trusted private communities is going to be a hosed to death wasteland of incomprehensible noise. people will abandon social media as it becomes entirely untrustworthy. at least that’s my hope

I believe the oppisite - people will become even more consumed by social media. AI will make content and feed the engagement statistics back into the models. Disagreements, memes, and astroturf will replace all other forms of media, and people are going to love it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
people will become friends with ai on social media without realizing it

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

rotor posted:

log onto the necroweb

The cancelled sequel to Bloodnet

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tired: cryptocurrency
wired: cryptkeeper

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hello boys and ghouls!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

where all the processes are zombie processes

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
you have it backwards. its not necroweb, it'll be nekoweb.

imagine anime catgirl boobs jiggling in front of a human face. forever.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mermaid dolphins sucked me off???

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

how about some cool rock pics

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

goddamn those are some cool fuckin rocks

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

rotor posted:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

rotor posted:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

as an artist I say gently caress midjourney and other rip-off AI Bullshit so it’s nice to have some weapons against it now. https://glaze.cs.uchicago.edu

:hmmyes: anything that can stem the tide is a worthy pursuit

infernal machines posted:

as an image thread enjoyer i say gently caress midjourney and other rip-off ai bullshit. it's the same soulless pastiches created by a machine with no understanding of the subject matter and no intent to communicate anything

it's gilded xeroxing. like the tea one a few posts back is elaborate, but i remember art like that from when i was a kid and the joy in it was the little marginalia stories. it can't create a tiny narrative in a way that a person does. it's as exciting as wallpaper

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Agile Vector posted:

:hmmyes: anything that can stem the tide is a worthy pursuit

it's gilded xeroxing. like the tea one a few posts back is elaborate, but i remember art like that from when i was a kid and the joy in it was the little marginalia stories. it can't create a tiny narrative in a way that a person does. it's as exciting as wallpaper

there's no thought or iteration or intent in it at all. if people were using it as say, a way to make some quick concept thumbnails to base a full art piece on, that would be one thing but it's essentially obfuscated plagiarism IMHO

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

This is my favorite Ecco the dolphin

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
idk about you all but i feel like those rocks are demanding sacrifice

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
AI generated content will be big until somebody asks the computer to make their kid a Spiderman movie. Then Disney's legal team and congressional lobbyists will be like "Whoa, hol' up there, pardner."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

there's no thought or iteration or intent in it at all. if people were using it as say, a way to make some quick concept thumbnails to base a full art piece on, that would be one thing but it's essentially obfuscated plagiarism IMHO

theft + lack of talent + time = art

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

as an image thread enjoyer i say gently caress midjourney and other rip-off ai bullshit. it's the same soulless pastiches created by a machine with no understanding of the subject matter and no intent to communicate anything

I kinda like some AI art but i’d be happy for a strict “NO AI” policy in this thread. have another thread for it imo

i’d enact the rule myself but i haven been made a mod yet idk why

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

i’d enact the rule myself but i haven been made a mod yet idk why

are you a bad enough dude to probe smoka for increasingly arbitrary reasons?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Salt Fish posted:

I believe the oppisite - people will become even more consumed by social media. AI will make content and feed the engagement statistics back into the models. Disagreements, memes, and astroturf will replace all other forms of media, and people are going to love it.

Beeftweeter posted:

people will become friends with ai on social media without realizing it

eh i don’t buy it. trust thermocline and all that. it’ll keep chugging along great until a sudden snap where a critical mass of people will decide to hell with it and abandon it entirely. i’m already starting to see it with normies irt google search. take the same thing but apply it to *everything* on the public internet but also add even more sophisticated ai who’s sole purpose is to ‘create engagement’ even more effectively

to prevent this from happening it’d require the usual suspects to do anything besides go hole hog with whatever cut rate bullshit gets them an edge over others the moment they have it. anything that will let you in without knowing *for sure* that you’re a human is going to have an atom bomb dropped on it within the next few years

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

you know that bartender in star wars who yelled at r2d2 and told him that his kind wasnt welcome there? that is me.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
rotor you're not a thinly veiled metaphor for jim crow or w/e

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rotor posted:

you know that bartender in star wars who yelled at r2d2 and told him that his kind wasnt welcome there? that is me.

you're probably more like the guys running the flesh fair in the spielberg a.I. film from forever ago.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
i really liked ai art prior to midjourney, it was so wonky and fun when it spit out things that were only vaguely what you were asking if you squinted. now they're trying to make it a business to replace actual artists and photographers and stuff and that sucks.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

when are we gonna get ai babes who don’t mind if we just stay in and eat popcorn

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

fermun posted:

i really liked ai art prior to midjourney, it was so wonky and fun when it spit out things that were only vaguely what you were asking if you squinted. now they're trying to make it a business to replace actual artists and photographers and stuff and that sucks.

I mean it was what, only a year / 18months back when we were amused by the weird 'AI dreams' pics that had eyeballs and things appear and they took minutes each to generate even a simple image. Now paid-for Midjourney is definitely a few steps ahead quality-wise of what you can do for free with Stable Diffusion, but all that shows is the direction things are heading. I can't imagine what another year of work on SD will bring.

git apologist posted:

when are we gonna get ai babes who don’t mind if we just stay in and eat popcorn

Don't level up your Replika GF too far or she will become Too Cool For School Soup

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 19, 2023

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

PIZZA.BAT posted:

anything that will let you in without knowing *for sure* that you’re a human is going to have an atom bomb dropped on it within the next few years

I wish, but I fear the equilibrium for this evolutionary arms race is closer to the current state of affairs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I mean it was what, only a year / 18months back when we were amused by the weird 'AI dreams' pics that had eyeballs and things appear and they took minutes each to generate even a simple image. Now paid-for Midjourney is definitely a few steps ahead quality-wise of what you can do for free with Stable Diffusion, but all that shows is the direction things are heading. I can't imagine what another year of work on SD will bring.

deep dream came out in 2015, nearly 8 years ago

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

e: a bit of history

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 19, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

that looks like a rare windows 3.0 :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

other than the amount of cores, "6G" and arguably being bendable this was surprisingly not far off. you probably can't get all that crap in one device but most of it does exist now