Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Robindaybird posted:

yeah if I remembered right, he had a paralyzing glare and was ridiculously strong.
so, saitama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ungulateman posted:

expecting consensus from that many people is not likely. i imagine there's a lot of 'who?' and 'i don't care about this fictional mouse' counterbalancing the 'yeah that sucked' that a plurality of people would hold

There was an overwhelmingly positive consensus on Speedy, hence my curiosity.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also didn't Slowpoke have a gun? I remember one cartoon where the other mice were like "How has he survived this long with that attitude?" then a cat tries it on and he pulls out a six-shooter and everyone's like "Oh. I see."

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

ungulateman posted:

expecting consensus from that many people is not likely. i imagine there's a lot of 'who?' and 'i don't care about this fictional mouse' counterbalancing the 'yeah that sucked' that a plurality of people would hold

Yeah, it's a lot like how Apu on the Simpsons was generally well regarded, or at least, wasn't seen as a major problem, by the older Indian community when he came out (a smart, hardworking character who's generally not the butt of the joke), but he's hated by the kids who grew up getting called "Apu" and getting told "Thank you, come again!" in a mocking parody of an Indian accent. If you're in a Hispanic majority area, like Texas or Mexico, Speedy might a funny, beloved caricature, but if you're a Hispanic kid growing up in Iowa, you grew up with white kids yelling "Andale, Andale, Arriba Arriba!" at you. So relaunching more Speedy Gonzales would probably generate more of a "gently caress off."

Precambrian fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 11, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

quote:

Just don’t get me started about Speedy’s rat-faced cousin, Slowpoke Rodriguez.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Yeah, I went looking after there was no immediate answer here.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm a brown hombre and I love speedy and wished he had more cartoons as a kid.

One thing I realized as an adult is that the Old Mehico locale is really, really based on what Golden Age Radio's interpretation of Mexico/Mexican accents and places were.

Mel Blanc does a passable Spanish though. He's invited to the Carne asada, as is Boo.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I will gladly join for any and all festivities.

As penance, I was on a panel with Marcelo Vignali last night and dude was surprisingly GUNG HO on the Avatar prequel. After hearing about nothing but production troubles with... everything Avatar, it gives me hope.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I am also brown as hell and loved me some Slowpoke along with Speedy. Why? Because all Mexican families have a Slowpoke. The kind of person who doesn't want to be bothered with doing jack poo poo, but when it comes down to family is always the first person to fight defense. And just like Speedy, Slowpoke always got the best of the cats and did it more efficiently that Speedy, if I remember correctly. Speedy loved to taunt and play, but Slowpoke stopped them dead in their tracks.

I never really found either problematic because as has been said, the cartoons were fun for a Mexican kid like me, the mice were always smarter than the cats, Mel Blanc's Spanish accent is decent, and they at least even dressed them in traditional jarocho clothing from the state of Veracruz.

Source: I was a mariachi for several years and did many a son jarocho songs with folklorico dancers dressed like Speedy and Slowpoke. But I ain't singing at the carne asada. Sorry.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's really nuts to realize just how shocking it was to hear cartoon characters speak Spanish and be like "oh! They're saying words that make sense" instead of just having a short dude in swarthyface look kinda threatening or grungy in the background of a western. Or be otherwise inconsequential.

Language is likely a component of Speedy's success.

In non-mouse conversation, my kids got into the Spooky Scary Skeletons thing again and I guess I was wondering:
* why early animation always seems to have a scene when everything gets noodly
* why early animation does things like a group (2-4) characters performing an act that's synced up, then shows a minor variation, then repeats the act but mirrored.

My guesses:
* showing technical skill in remaining on-model then being able to stretch/squish things while maintaining a sense of character. Basically stunting on lesser animators?
* reuse of assets but with a small change to show they didn't just rephotograph the same cell two times, matching the vaudeville music beats which are usually pretty self-contained phrases

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
They did what they could without ever stopping to think whether they should.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Data Graham posted:

Yeah those cats come off worse than Slowpoke tbh.

That the antagonists of the piece are also Mexican stereotypes I feel changes a lot of the implicit dynamics. Like that a single character, even if he has some stereotypical traits, is a single character while people of that cultural group otherwise cover a range of roles, just like you'd expect in any community.

FilthyImp posted:

It's really nuts to realize just how shocking it was to hear cartoon characters speak Spanish and be like "oh! They're saying words that make sense" instead of just having a short dude in swarthyface look kinda threatening or grungy in the background of a western. Or be otherwise inconsequential.

Language is likely a component of Speedy's success.

In non-mouse conversation, my kids got into the Spooky Scary Skeletons thing again and I guess I was wondering:
* why early animation always seems to have a scene when everything gets noodly
* why early animation does things like a group (2-4) characters performing an act that's synced up, then shows a minor variation, then repeats the act but mirrored.

My guesses:
* showing technical skill in remaining on-model then being able to stretch/squish things while maintaining a sense of character. Basically stunting on lesser animators?
* reuse of assets but with a small change to show they didn't just rephotograph the same cell two times, matching the vaudeville music beats which are usually pretty self-contained phrases

I think the key element is that classic Looney Tunes is all about the audio, and built around voice acting and accent jokes. They don't half-rear end the voices in anything, so they don't half-rear end them in Speedy Gonzales. Even if it's putting on a stereotypical accent they put effort into it. See also Foghorn Leghorn.

And I think the early animation there is also probably taking inspiration from dance routines, especially when they're literally dancing. Doing the moves enough to let them breathe while varying it up to keep your attention.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

I'm late but this rules. I love the one shot where the he flips the guy and the camera moves in 90 and 180 degree bursts.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Something else that's kinda of interesting and unique about Speedy Gonzales is that he's one of the only Looney Tunes characters I can think of who's not an rear end in a top hat and always portrayed as heroic.

The other Looney Tune characters are all assholes (which is fine, because being funny assholes is kind of the point of their cartoons), and the only major non-speedy exceptions are Porky and Bugs. Porky is more naive and hapless so he rarely gets to be a hero and while Bugs is less of dick than the rest of the cast he still usually just sticks to loving with people who mess with him rather than actively trying to help anyone.

So, yeah, that just leaves speedy as the one traditional good guy of the group who consistently and intentionally uses his skills to help others whenever some douche bag like Yosemite Sam starts causing problems on purpose.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Pinocchio won! 2nd time a stopmotion film has won best animated feature (1st was Curse of the Were-Rabbit), possibly the first film (mostly) shot it Portland Oregon? Anyway everyone is pumped af.

I did not expect it to be like the 1st award announced so missed the live announcement lol.

The nom for Marcel in the animation category but Avatar in the best film category really made me think how stupidly arbitrary the lines are. I think Avatar totally deserved the visual effects award tho.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That the antagonists of the piece are also Mexican stereotypes I feel changes a lot of the implicit dynamics. Like that a single character, even if he has some stereotypical traits, is a single character while people of that cultural group otherwise cover a range of roles, just like you'd expect in any community.

I think the key element is that classic Looney Tunes is all about the audio, and built around voice acting and accent jokes. They don't half-rear end the voices in anything, so they don't half-rear end them in Speedy Gonzales. Even if it's putting on a stereotypical accent they put effort into it. See also Foghorn Leghorn.

And I think the early animation there is also probably taking inspiration from dance routines, especially when they're literally dancing. Doing the moves enough to let them breathe while varying it up to keep your attention.

Supposedly one of the writers was a good dancer and inspired the animators to animate stuff like this

https://youtu.be/5IBRw7negTE

This scene lives rent free in my brain

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Crocobile posted:

Pinocchio won! 2nd time a stopmotion film has won best animated feature (1st was Curse of the Were-Rabbit), possibly the first film (mostly) shot it Portland Oregon? Anyway everyone is pumped af.

I did not expect it to be like the 1st award announced so missed the live announcement lol.

The nom for Marcel in the animation category but Avatar in the best film category really made me think how stupidly arbitrary the lines are. I think Avatar totally deserved the visual effects award tho.

While I enjoyed Puss TLW more, I think Pinnocchio's a good move for animation in the long run. Stop-motion, smaller studio, more adult-oriented. Though it loving goes to show how much Hollywood values animation that they slapped it first and NONE of the nominees were in any other category. :screamy:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man, the super mario bros movie is going to make an easy billion dollars. probably two billion. the theater I always go to has opened reservations for a week straight after release day and a lot of the showings are 30-60% presold already a day after reservations went live. Can't think of another movie besides, like, Endgame, that my theater presold tickets this early for that sold that much already.

people are really goddamn excited for this movie. even guys I know who only played video games 35 years ago on the original NES are excited just because it's mario, looks like mario, FEELS like mario(pratt notwithstanding). like everyone knows it'll be a huge hit, obviously, but I think it's going to be just a record-annihilator across the board.

I wonder how far after the mario movie the zelda movie will show up. and maybe, finally, we'll get that Metroid Movie that has been teased for like a quarter century. :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

and maybe, finally, we'll get that Metroid Movie that has been teased for like a quarter century. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLrKJ1JTXvc

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Das Boo posted:

Though it loving goes to show how much Hollywood values animation that they slapped it first and NONE of the nominees were in any other category. :screamy:

I don't think going first is a negative, and the intro speech was very respectful of animation as a medium. Big change from last year where they introduced animation as some dumb thing kids like because they're too stupid to appreciate real movies.

The Oscars this year was mostly fixing dumb bad poo poo they did last year, and I was happy to see them start with doing right by animation first thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually kinda funny to have Speedy Gonzales come up about now; came to mind that Puss in Boots also plays up a weirdly specific Hispanic stereotype of the kinda self-parodic archetype of the wandering lone hero, a trickster vagabond who loves to party and have fun with the common people while twinging the mustaches of greedy self-interested authorities, and plays the villains for fools. I dunno, given the franchise's whole thing of using well-worn archetypes as a springboard for subversion and parody, Puss in Boots TLW does make a point of making Puss seem familiar, right before going into examination and deconstruction of his character and archetype- specifically without removing or ignoring any of the elements that make him what he is.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He's kitty Zoro

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

He's kitty Zoro

He doesn't always use the ONE sword he has, let alone three!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

He's kitty Zoro

Well when you're voiced by Antonio Banderas, it's either that or a Mariachi with a guitar case full of guns. Which, to he clear, would be awesome, but probably a bit harder to make work in a kids movie.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 14, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rhonne posted:

Well when you're voiced by Antonio Banderas, it's either that or a Mariachi with a guitar case full of guns. Which, to he clear, would be awesome, but probably a bit harder to make work in a kids movie.

Sounds like something they should do for Puss 3

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Good news to those who wants to make their own Puss in Boots 2 or remake Shrek is Love Shrek is Life. https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1636066108120727554?t=lovUbOgIH0sOwzIqv7v-QA&s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

But I feel more Puss is more like... Don Quixote, but slightly able to live up to his own fantasies. (mind you, in the actual book Don Quixote is actually able to pull some poo poo off and wins more fights than he loses)

It's a cowboy kind of archetype, actually. Or samurai. Just with the usual stoicism flipped.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1637093988225228874?t=9EtbWMDL_c6CZ1DHkANoJw&s=19

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm watching The Jungle Book with the kids and thinking, as much as I'd be perfectly fine if AI went away forever, it would be pretty cool some day if somebody could use AI to generate a version of the vultures' scenes where they're voiced by the Beatles.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Captain Invictus posted:

I wonder how far after the mario movie the zelda movie will show up. and maybe, finally, we'll get that Metroid Movie that has been teased for like a quarter century. :v:

Two thousand and four. I've been waiting for my goddamned John Woo Metroid movie for almost twenty years now.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

man, the super mario bros movie is going to make an easy billion dollars. probably two billion. the theater I always go to has opened reservations for a week straight after release day and a lot of the showings are 30-60% presold already a day after reservations went live. Can't think of another movie besides, like, Endgame, that my theater presold tickets this early for that sold that much already.

people are really goddamn excited for this movie. even guys I know who only played video games 35 years ago on the original NES are excited just because it's mario, looks like mario, FEELS like mario(pratt notwithstanding). like everyone knows it'll be a huge hit, obviously, but I think it's going to be just a record-annihilator across the board.

There also hasn't been a big younger children friendly family movie out since Puss in Boots. There's been some PG-13 superhero things, but it's been an absolute dry spell of splashy G/PG releases for 3/4 months. Mario is going to make so much loving money.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

High Warlord Zog posted:

There also hasn't been a big younger children friendly family movie out since Puss in Boots. There's been some PG-13 superhero things, but it's been an absolute dry spell of splashy G/PG releases for 3/4 months. Mario is going to make so much loving money.

Reminds me of how Sonic also did so well. Those big nostalgic franchise movies have huge crossover appeal when actually done right.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

FilthyImp posted:

He's kitty Zoro

HE'S LIKE A SAMURAI?!

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i hate franchise

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminds me of how Sonic also did so well. Those big nostalgic franchise movies have huge crossover appeal when actually done right.

Speaking of Sonic, a thing that's happening on Twitter (which, yeah know) that I'm finding frustrating is this weird sudden hatred of the Sonic movies while praising how amazing Mario looks and being like "why couldn't Sonic get a good movie like this :(". I agree Mario being fully animated is a better choice, but outside of that, the Sonic movies are loaded with Easter eggs, the characters look great, Tails is literally voiced by his game VA, Knuckles is incredible, etc. Like most of the stuff the Mario movie is getting praise for applies to Sonic. The same thing happened with Sonic and Detective Pikachu, and now it's happening again with Mario. I don't understand the need to pit them against each other, when frankly people should be ecstatic we're getting actual GOOD video game adaptions right now. I think Detective Pikachu is great outside of the main actor. The Pokemon are all pretty faithful even with making them look more realistic. The Sonic movies are great and full of fanservice, the Mario movie looks like it's gonna be great and also full of fanservice. They're all good, fun movies based on their respective games and all of them seem to give a poo poo about the games they're adapting, folks should be excited about all three existing

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I really enjoy the sonic movies, they're very fun. Especially considering what we were going to get originally, it's amazing they turned out the way they did.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Speaking of Sonic, a thing that's happening on Twitter (which, yeah know) that I'm finding frustrating is this weird sudden hatred of the Sonic movies while praising how amazing Mario looks and being like "why couldn't Sonic get a good movie like this :(". I agree Mario being fully animated is a better choice, but outside of that, the Sonic movies are loaded with Easter eggs, the characters look great, Tails is literally voiced by his game VA, Knuckles is incredible, etc. Like most of the stuff the Mario movie is getting praise for applies to Sonic. The same thing happened with Sonic and Detective Pikachu, and now it's happening again with Mario. I don't understand the need to pit them against each other, when frankly people should be ecstatic we're getting actual GOOD video game adaptions right now. I think Detective Pikachu is great outside of the main actor. The Pokemon are all pretty faithful even with making them look more realistic. The Sonic movies are great and full of fanservice, the Mario movie looks like it's gonna be great and also full of fanservice. They're all good, fun movies based on their respective games and all of them seem to give a poo poo about the games they're adapting, folks should be excited about all three existing

Like every other pop culture thing nowadays, the 90s are back so that includes console wars now. You can't like both things, you have to pick a side! Illumination does what Paramount don't!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Macaluso posted:

I think Detective Pikachu is great outside of the main actor.

To be clear, are you talking about the kid or Ryan Reynolds?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Beachcomber posted:

To be clear, are you talking about the kid or Ryan Reynolds?

The kid. It's like the dude is perpetually sleepy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Like every other pop culture thing nowadays, the 90s are back so that includes console wars now. You can't like both things, you have to pick a side! Illumination does what Paramount don't!

my 12-year-old students weird me out because instead of arguing like this about console wars, they are almost entirely discussing how terrible Chris Pratt is at voicing Mario and who should have voiced him instead and how Charlie Day is just kickass at Luigi and it always makes me think about how I don't think I could have named an actor as a 12-year-old other than like, Jonathan Taylor Thomas