Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Azathoth posted:

With "reading a decent scp verbatim" as the baseline, how good are we talking?

Much better than that. It’s pretty atmospheric and the lecture-recording gimmick is leading to some neat audio production bits.

It’s presented as pretty dry but it’s absolutely fascinating if you like weird ancient civilizations and mysteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Definitely better than baseline. It's an interesting premise executed in a unique way, as a series of lectures by a tenured professor of archeology teaching about an advanced lost civilization that allegedly existed 80,000 years ago.

He's able to teach the class because he has tenure, and everybody thinks he's either insane or doing some sort of weird performance art. That is, until it gradually starts to seem as if he might be telling the truth.

There's only about a dozen fifteen-minute episodes thus far and it's a breezy listen.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

That sounds amazing, thank you for the recommendation!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Binged through the whole thing. Admittedly I was hoping that they would stretch out the whole "Is this real or not?" ambiguity for a while longer or at least not go fully supernatural so soon but paying off the clear Chekhov's Gun of the named characters suddenly all having injured arms was neat too. Really looking forward to see where this goes.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 31, 2023

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Len posted:

Does anyone know what's going on with Archive 81? They haven't updated their Patreon since 2019, their Facebook since right before the show dropped, and their twitter was silent from March until these two tweets

https://twitter.com/Archive81/status/1602704180329824259?s=20

https://twitter.com/Archive81/status/1612891884447502337?s=20

which looks like Marc is trying to crowd fund something but he's deleted his twitter so i've got no idea what it is

Alright so they responded to their tweet from early January the other day

https://twitter.com/Archive81/status/1623404103903608834?s=20

It's a link to a now ended kickstarter for a queer take on The Odyssey

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1194463901/hearthbound-an-untelling-of-the-odyssey

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Found a really cool podcast (from the creators of Modes of thought) called The Imperfection. The story is a group of people who suffer from a rare neurological or psychiatric affliction which causes them to randomly hallucinate wildly suddenly found that their doctor dissapeared without a trace. Or was he erased from existance? By a conspiracy? Of robots?

This show is amazing, imagine a support group of certified mental patients (all very likable good people) running around New York investigating a mad conspiracy while very aware that their findings might just be utter hallucination, corraborate with one another. And the whole thing is very uplifting so far, often hilarious.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So... Do you have to subscribe on their site to listen to it? Is that the only way?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I found it searching in Podcast Addict and got this feed: https://feeds.megaphone.fm/SBP5382128338

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Yeah Pocketcasts found it no problem. I'm about halfway through it and really liking it so far.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

i was having a super weird issue with megaphone (spotify's open platform) and that might have caused the problem. basically it looks like they forgot to renew some security certificates (again) and so a bunch of my podcasts wouldn't update for a few days. not sure if that would keep it from showing up in a search, but i could see it causing weird issues like that

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Anybody listened to What happened in Skinner? I gave it a try but it gets a lot...cuter after the first episode and I'm having a bit of trouble remembering who's who. Does it ever pick up or is it nor for me?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I made it about 3/4 of the way through before I gave up. Wasn't for me either.

I did finish the Imperfection. I had a very Severance like dream after finishing it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Capilarean posted:

Anybody listened to What happened in Skinner? I gave it a try but it gets a lot...cuter after the first episode and I'm having a bit of trouble remembering who's who. Does it ever pick up or is it nor for me?

i've started it twice and just always bounce off it, it doesn't seem to ever get gripping

we're going out to a nightvale show tomorrow in PA which should be a fun time. i went to a show back in 2014 and enjoyed it a bunch

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Capilarean posted:

It was ok. The opening I thought set it up poorly. It’s better than Tanis in that it has a plot and a story and leaves when the story is told. And no bomba socks anywhere.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Capilarean posted:

I tried a couple of times to get into this but couldn't.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

This is only tangentially related to the topic, but I didn't see it mentioned. Slay the Princess, a horror visual novel, got a demo on Steam and is getting some good buzz. The narrator may sound familiar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RByDoYQpFa8

(It's Sims)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Boxman posted:

This is only tangentially related to the topic, but I didn't see it mentioned. Slay the Princess, a horror visual novel, got a demo on Steam and is getting some good buzz. The narrator may sound familiar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RByDoYQpFa8

(It's Sims)

The princess also sounds familiar

Nichole Goodnight

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Capilarean posted:

I finished it a while ago. It starts with a nice mystery and ends up as what amounts to a superhero origin story (thematic rather than specific spoiler).

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

I finished it a while ago. It starts with a nice mystery and ends up as what amounts to a superhero origin story (thematic rather than specific spoiler).

Meh. I think if there's a S2 it'll explore that more but that wasn't my take away. The power they had in the last 3 episodes was a once a 90 year thing.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Len posted:

The princess also sounds familiar

Nichole Goodnight

Pretty sure she was also involved with the last horror visual novel they made… Sleepy Willows? Something Willows. It’s pretty dece if u like body horror, but I’m not huge into the art style

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Re: the last couple of Anterran Literature eps: wow, they are really just going to dismiss that whole "slicing one's hand and OTHER people feeling it" thing as mass hysteria", huh? God, I hope this doesn't turn into another Tanis that just spins around in circles forever. Again, they really should have stuck to the lectures and stretched out the "is this real?" ambiguity before introducing the mystery box nonsense.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I was going to start a new podcast today and couldn't remember the name of a podcast I heard an ad about. It was a weird museum told by an audio guide that makes comments about guests going missing in the museum.

Somehow I shouldn't be surprised that there's more than one that fit that exact description but there are.

I was thinking about The Godfrey Audio Guide but instead started The Misholme Museum. I only listened to the first episode but it was an episode that was like a version of the Cottingley Fairies with the serial numbers filed off and a dash of spoooooky. I'll probably keep listening but mostly I just wanted to post about there being more than one podcast about a weird self guided museum tour

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Len posted:

mostly I just wanted to post about there being more than one podcast about a weird self guided museum tour

One of the seasons of Within The Wires used that idea, very well I think.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Anyone got anything new they’ve been enjoying? I listened to a short show called Deviser that was decent enough to get me through a shift at work. Horror/scifi if you’re into that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wangsucker 69 posted:

Anyone got anything new they’ve been enjoying? I listened to a short show called Deviser that was decent enough to get me through a shift at work. Horror/scifi if you’re into that.

I was going through the Misholme Museum one I mentioned above but it's kind of losing me in season 4 (I think) the metaplot that developed just hasn't hooked me

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Wangsucker 69 posted:

Not exactly new, but I’ve really gotten into Midnight Burger in the last few months.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
It’s not exactly “new”, but it’s been on my backlog since release, and I’ve only just gotten around to it: Brimstone Valley Mall.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Antitonic posted:

It’s not exactly “new”, but it’s been on my backlog since release, and I’ve only just gotten around to it: Brimstone Valley Mall.

We binged this on a trip to Columbus and back awhile ago. It was a fun time and I hope season 2 is as good as the first

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!
If anyone was listening to the sci-fi sitcom/adventure series EOS10 back when it was suddenly abandoned on a massive cliffhanger 3 years ago, you should know the show recently came back with a three-part special that wrapped up all the plot threads in a fantasticly satisfying cap to the adventures.

The only thing missing after all this time is that Levi’s actor isn’t on the cast, but his role is now filled by one of his sibling princes who appeared in an earlier season

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

codswallop posted:

If anyone was listening to the sci-fi sitcom/adventure series EOS10 back when it was suddenly abandoned on a massive cliffhanger 3 years ago, you should know the show recently came back with a three-part special that wrapped up all the plot threads in a fantasticly satisfying cap to the adventures.

The only thing missing after all this time is that Levi’s actor isn’t on the cast, but his role is now filled by one of his sibling princes who appeared in an earlier season

Thank you for pointing this out! I was subscribed to it from back in the day but apparently the active RSS feed I was using didn't get that update. Looks like I have something to do today after all.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Station 151, antarctic not arctic show but well put and presentented
Tales of low city - must listen, calm description of various species and societies who dwell in underground city when the surface is poisoned
The Madness of Chartrulean - an epic scifi tale of not sure, gods, superhumans and overwhelming sound design.

Pls post more for insomniacs who need a narrative but calm thing to drift off to

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

So one I've been addicted to lately (got there via Night Vale, then got recommended Monstrous Agonies, and then Episode One just came up on my list without me ever actually putting it there) is Hello from the Hallowoods. It's a very queer story - and I mean that in the sense that 'just about every major character is some variety of queer person', as well as in the sense of 'this story is about weird, spooky poo poo happening'. The basic premise is that the world suffered a bizarre apocalypse of some sort, and the survivors of the apocalypse are mostly based out of a northern forest called the Hallowoods.

So far, I've mostly been working my way through Season One, and I have to say, it's doing a pretty good job of both revealing the weirdness, and tying things together so that you don't need to keep a notebook handy to keep up with what's going on and who's who. It also helps that the voice work is pretty solid throughout, so keeping track of who's talking - even when it's just one guy voicing both characters - is surprisingly easy. It's also very, very respectful and presents just about all of the characters as well-rounded people (probably helped by the guy producing and running the show being queer himself), and even the characters who look stock at first have a surprising amount of depth to them - Solomon, for instance, could very easily have been a flat stock version of his character, but instead the writers show us that no, he's just as human as the rest at his core (even if that manifests in some pretty horrifying ways). There's one exception - but even that's got a thematic reason behind it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

So one I've been addicted to lately (got there via Night Vale, then got recommended Monstrous Agonies, and then Episode One just came up on my list without me ever actually putting it there) is Hello from the Hallowoods. It's a very queer story - and I mean that in the sense that 'just about every major character is some variety of queer person', as well as in the sense of 'this story is about weird, spooky poo poo happening'. The basic premise is that the world suffered a bizarre apocalypse of some sort, and the survivors of the apocalypse are mostly based out of a northern forest called the Hallowoods.

So far, I've mostly been working my way through Season One, and I have to say, it's doing a pretty good job of both revealing the weirdness, and tying things together so that you don't need to keep a notebook handy to keep up with what's going on and who's who. It also helps that the voice work is pretty solid throughout, so keeping track of who's talking - even when it's just one guy voicing both characters - is surprisingly easy. It's also very, very respectful and presents just about all of the characters as well-rounded people (probably helped by the guy producing and running the show being queer himself), and even the characters who look stock at first have a surprising amount of depth to them - Solomon, for instance, could very easily have been a flat stock version of his character, but instead the writers show us that no, he's just as human as the rest at his core (even if that manifests in some pretty horrifying ways). There's one exception - but even that's got a thematic reason behind it.

Does the narrator try to be bargain bin Cecil when not in story mode forever? Or is that an affectation just from the first few? I wasn't a fan of the guy moderating the Silt Verses post-season discussion (He kept bringing all topics back to his podcast, and that's not what we were here for.), but the first episode seemed good for a first episode thing.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Does the narrator try to be bargain bin Cecil when not in story mode forever? Or is that an affectation just from the first few? I wasn't a fan of the guy moderating the Silt Verses post-season discussion (He kept bringing all topics back to his podcast, and that's not what we were here for.), but the first episode seemed good for a first episode thing.

I mean, some of the later episodes make him very much a character in the world of the show, but he's not really Cecil - he's not directly involved in anything that happens, and while he does directly address the character of the listeners (as well as a handful of other characters who are shown to directly be able to reach into his portfolio, on rare occasions) - but he's never really directly acting in the events that happen. Like, the whole part where Cecil gets directly involved in events doesn't really happen with him - even when he's talking to a character directly, he's still very much on the sidelines of any actions taken.

Just to be clear, I'm thinking of stuff like the 'Who's a Good Boy' arc, and the Well of Night stuff - where Cecil wasn't just an observer, but an active participant in events. That doesn't really happen with the narrator of Hello from the Hallowoods - even when he's directly interacting with another character, he's just talking to them, rather than actively getting involved, and even that is pretty rare.

FrozenGoldfishGod fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 16, 2023

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

I mean, some of the later episodes make him very much a character in the world of the show, but he's not really Cecil - he's not directly involved in anything that happens, and while he does directly address the character of the listeners (as well as a handful of other characters who are shown to directly be able to reach into his portfolio, on rare occasions) - but he's never really directly acting in the events that happen. Like, the whole part where Cecil gets directly involved in events doesn't really happen with him - even when he's talking to a character directly, he's still very much on the sidelines of any actions taken.

Just to be clear, I'm thinking of stuff like the 'Who's a Good Boy' arc, and the Well of Night stuff - where Cecil wasn't just an observer, but an active participant in events. That doesn't really happen with the narrator of Hello from the Hallowoods - even when he's directly interacting with another character, he's just talking to them, rather than actively getting involved, and even that is pretty rare.

Right, I meant more the dictation:

- I'm a person in the world broadcasting to another person in the world.
- I'm going to make a statement about the world that I say is obvious to everyone in the world.
- I will then make a qualifying statement about it and over emphasize the words that are the weirdness about the world.

The tone and dictation was almost identical to this exchange in the WTNV pilot:

quote:

A new man came into town today. Who is he? What does he want from us? Why his perfect and beautiful haircut? Why his perfect and beautiful coat?
He says he is a scientist. Well…we have all been scientists at one point or another in our lives.
But why now?

compared with:

quote:

I am in the shadow under your bed and I know each skeleton in your closet... you have so many skeletons in your closet.
I see where you have been, and who you used to be,
but I do not know where you are going. Where are you going?
Statement, Qualifying statement that winks at you, repeat.

Maybe I'm overreading into it and it's just the first episode.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Right, I meant more the dictation:

- I'm a person in the world broadcasting to another person in the world.
- I'm going to make a statement about the world that I say is obvious to everyone in the world.
- I will then make a qualifying statement about it and over emphasize the words that are the weirdness about the world.

The tone and dictation was almost identical to this exchange in the WTNV pilot:

compared with:

Statement, Qualifying statement that winks at you, repeat.

Maybe I'm overreading into it and it's just the first episode.

Oh, I don't recall hearing as much of that as in WTNV, but then, I usually don't actively just sit and listen to podcasts. I put them on in the background while I do other things, as some extra sound. That said, I don't think it entirely stops, but he definitely doesn't do it as much. That said, if that kind of thing is a deal-breaker for you, that's fine - I clearly don't mind it, since I didn't even particularly notice it after the first episode.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Sekenr posted:

Tales of low city - must listen, calm description of various species and societies who dwell in underground city when the surface is poisoned

drat, this is so loving good. I love this world-building, xenobiology, fictional anthropology kind of stuff so much. Thanks for the recommendation.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Sekenr posted:

I listened to the first episode and I love it. Shades of Eskew

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Some people behind Wooden Overcoats, Wolf 359 and Rusty Quill have come up with a sitcom based on the misadventures of Marc Antony and Gaius Octavius after killing Brutus - Cry Havoc and ask questions later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm just now catching up on the RQ stuff and...really don't know what to think of it?

Like, a lot of it seems totally legitimate to mention but it also feels like something of a hit piece. Seems like one of those things where, unfortunately, I kinda dislike everyone on both sides, other than of course the anonymous employees.