Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

value-brand cereal posted:

This person sound cool and smart. Thread, you should listen to them.

Also I got another one. Y'a'l'l' like haunted houses?

Compton is a Black american author if anyone is aiming to read Own Voices and similar this year. Honestly I did appreciate reading a story centered around Black characters who actually came across as Black people and not token characters for diversity points.

Despite the summary, I promise it's not the standard, generic 'family stays at a haunted house' plot. The family has their own tumultuous past that collides with the Ross's past. Hell, it rather nicely mirrors in some way the history attached to the titular spite house.

I liked the mystery of the house, and the auxiliary mysteries of just why this family is suddenly on the run. I think the rotating pov was decent, but was slightly irritating when it backtracked to give an account of what a different character was doing on the timeline. But that's a personal nitpick. It built tension and offered a good way of filling in information without infodumps at the last second.

The Spite House by Johnny Compton

This was a very satisfying read, thanks for the recc.
I love a good haunted house story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Hi, I was hoping for some recommendations in the haunted house vein?
I really enjoyed The Spite House mentioned above.

I also liked The Family Plot by Cherie Priest and The Broken Girls by Simone St John. Both are "yep, haunted, ghosts are real" and have pretty strong female characters.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You've read The Haunting of the Hill House, right?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I really liked Hell House and Kill Creek as well.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Franchescanado posted:

I finished reading Can Such Things Be? by Ambrose Bierce recently.

It's a solid little spooky collection. It's notable how tapped into ideas that made Lovecraft famous (unknowable monstrosities, supernatural events enlightening an individual to a point of insanity, people breaking laws of nature to explore the Other Side) 40 years before Lovecraft was published, while mixing it with more irony akin to Poe. I also liked how most of the characters featured in stories were hunters, bounty hunters, ex soliders, and other "rugged" men. Bierce was an interesting guy, having survived the Civil War, being a devout atheist in the late 1800s, and wrote everything from comedies to horror to war stories.

I wouldn't say any of them were great, but they were pleasant and felt folky, like a great uncle or someone telling you a spooky tale around a campfire.

I read this a year or two back and really enjoyed it too. There is a BotM thread on it a page or two back

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sloth Life posted:

Hi, I was hoping for some recommendations in the haunted house vein?
I really enjoyed The Spite House mentioned above.

I also liked The Family Plot by Cherie Priest and The Broken Girls by Simone St John. Both are "yep, haunted, ghosts are real" and have pretty strong female characters.

The Elementals by Michael McDowell

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Thank you all! That's given me lots of options

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

escape artist posted:

NATHAN BALLINGRUD'S DEBUT NOVEL drops today!

Anyone reading this? The book is The Strange by the way.

I’m sure it’s good based on Nathan’s writing alone but everything I’ve seen paints it as decidedly not horror (more western in space/alt history) and a departure from his short story collections. I’d pick it up based on the writer alone but I’m already pretty stacked on my queue

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I bought it to read later but I was definitely wary reading the description lol

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I still haven't got my hard copy yet (long story short, I ordered a signed copy from that bookstore before I knew about signing, that is why I got Wounds signed instead), but from the reading he makes it sound like it is a cross of Bradbury' The Martian Chronicles and Portis' True Grit (both I do consider great works of art). He claims it is influenced somewhat by his love of pulp fiction, but he wouldn't call it sci-fi. He said it is more of dark fantasy with some horror elements. One thing he does do, is he uses the Mars he read about in pulpy books as a kid instead of the science version of Mars. Example his Mars' has breathable air just because that is how he imagined it when he was young. No hard sci-fi here.

If you think about Wounds, it was a departure from NALM, and with those 2 collections he has earned more than enough trust from me to make a blind purchase. Plus his future publishing will depend on well this book does since his first novel. He did get a shoutout from Paul Tremblay on Twitter (he called it weird, disturbing, and soulful), which I hope helps him sell more books.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 23, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

His strength is in his world building so I'm open to something less horror of his, but it's $18 for the ebook and I have just shy of 300 books on my reader as is so I'm going to wait for a sale

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
gently caress, I made a post reviewing The Hollow Kind by Andy Davidson and The Book of Accidents by Chuck Wendig, and submitted it and lost it.

will post again later tonight

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I just started reading Between Two Fires late last night after seeing the glowing praise here (and having never heard of it previously).

I’m halfway thru and goddamn this is a great novel so far. If it weren’t for the fact that I’m feverish and feeling lovely, I probably otherwise would’ve finished it in a single sitting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I just started reading Between Two Fires late last night after seeing the glowing praise here (and having never heard of it previously).

I’m halfway thru and goddamn this is a great novel so far. If it weren’t for the fact that I’m feverish and feeling lovely, I probably otherwise would’ve finished it in a single sitting.

I recommend sitting between two fires.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

I recommend sitting between two fires.

I’m not the pope! :argh:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Being feverish is an ideal way to read it

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe it’s the lingering delirium from my illness, but that ended up being one of the best novels I’ve read in years.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It was great, but I will say I wasn't really a fan of Those Across the River. Can't really recommend, kinda clunky and weird.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It was great, but I will say I wasn't really a fan of Those Across the River. Can't really recommend, kinda clunky and weird.
Yeah. I liked The Lesser Dead quite a lot, though.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

okay, I re read Between Two Fires and now I'm wondering if there is anything that is in the same vein. I know it's pretty specific, it doesn't have to be some kind of black death themed horror.

what I'm looking for is more stuff that's mysterious but dark. idk if you liked this book just recommend me your faves

Also I have gotten the local horror book club to read this as book of the month in June.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 30, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

okay, I re read Between Two Fires and now I'm wondering if there is anything that is in the same vein. I know it's pretty specific, it doesn't have to be some kind of black death themed horror.

what I'm looking for is more stuff that's mysterious but dark. idk if you liked this book just recommend me your faves

Also I have gotten the local horror book club to read this as book of the month in June.
Tyll by Daniel Kehlmann

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Seconding the Tyll recommendation - Nobber by Oisin Fagan is also good if weird, hallucinatory historical fiction is up your street

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
For more medieval road-trip/dark fantasy/horror, I'd suggest The Sad Tale of Brothers Grossbart. The caveat is that the protagonists are real assholes.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don’t know how people itt feel about comics, but I’m finally getting around to Lake of Fire and it’s really good. A ship full of basically Xenomorphs crash lands in France during a crusade and a handful of knights have to deal with it. Good little story to scratch that Between Two Fires itch

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Opopanax posted:

I don’t know how people itt feel about comics, but I’m finally getting around to Lake of Fire and it’s really good. A ship full of basically Xenomorphs crash lands in France during a crusade and a handful of knights have to deal with it. Good little story to scratch that Between Two Fires itch

YOOOO this sounds like my poo poo!

e: oh god drat it it's a comic. Well maybe it's still my poo poo

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That was literally my first sentence :colbert: it's its own thing and only 5 issues, at least, so it's not like you need to read a bunch of tie ins or anything

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
collected its like 15bux on amazon. might have a go.

anilEhilated posted:

For more medieval road-trip/dark fantasy/horror, I'd suggest The Sad Tale of Brothers Grossbart. The caveat is that the protagonists are real assholes.

that's soft selling it lmao.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Opopanax posted:

You should read The High Crusade by Poul Anderson. An alien scout ship lands in England during the Hundred Years War, next to an army mustering to cross the Channel. The aliens try to intimidate the locals by frying a few randoms with rayguns; the English army immediately storms the ship, takes it over and blasts off into space. Hilarity ensues!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Has anyone read Nathan Ballingrud's new book The Strange? Sounds like it's a dark sci-fi kinda deal? I just finished North American Lake Monsters for the second time and I'm debating reading Wounds again, but something new might be worth a try.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Has anyone read Nathan Ballingrud's new book The Strange? Sounds like it's a dark sci-fi kinda deal? I just finished North American Lake Monsters for the second time and I'm debating reading Wounds again, but something new might be worth a try.

I finished it last week. It's a lot different from his other work - it's more like a sort of weird space western with some light horror elements, but the emphasis is definitely on weird, rather than horrific.

I enjoyed it, though, and it's worth reading.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Thanks, I'll put it on the to do list. Reading NALM takes me a long time because after each story I need to take a break and digest it...it will be interesting to read a full blown novel from him

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
It's good, and while not horror, it's not NOT horror either. The mix of very authentic and emotional characters with the pastiche of 'wild west but on mars' sometimes clashed tonally for me though. It's hard to go from a very real feeling sense of a child's disillusionment with authority to 'jefferson davis' space program' in like two sentences.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Struggling with Winterset Hollow at the moment. I quite like the premise, but the prose is... Odd. I want to say overwrought, but maybe it's trying to do something that I'm just not here for. Some individually great sentences surrounded by paragraphs that feel like English as a second language, and deeply strange adjective choices.

Now I wonder: aside from Ligotti, who's writing horror with masterful prose these days, who isn't also trying to do allegory? Like, North American Lake Monsters is beautiful, but I can only read so many stories about how people / grief / toxic masculinity are the real monsters. Sometimes you just want a monster surrounded by great prose, you know? Or, in Ligotti's case, a monster in the form of brief glimpses into a relentlessly nightmarish universe behind the thin veil of our illusions.

On a separate note, how are John Langan's collections since Sefira? I haven't really heard anything about Children of the Fang or Corpsemouth, didn't even realize they'd come out until I went looking to see if he'd done anything lately.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Kestral posted:

Struggling with Winterset Hollow at the moment. I quite like the premise, but the prose is... Odd. I want to say overwrought, but maybe it's trying to do something that I'm just not here for. Some individually great sentences surrounded by paragraphs that feel like English as a second language, and deeply strange adjective choices.

Now I wonder: aside from Ligotti, who's writing horror with masterful prose these days, who isn't also trying to do allegory? Like, North American Lake Monsters is beautiful, but I can only read so many stories about how people / grief / toxic masculinity are the real monsters. Sometimes you just want a monster surrounded by great prose, you know? Or, in Ligotti's case, a monster in the form of brief glimpses into a relentlessly nightmarish universe behind the thin veil of our illusions.

On a separate note, how are John Langan's collections since Sefira? I haven't really heard anything about Children of the Fang or Corpsemouth, didn't even realize they'd come out until I went looking to see if he'd done anything lately.

I liked more stories in Children of the Fang, than I did Corpsemouth or Sefira, but there's a certain consistency to his writing that I enjoy now that I've worked through all of his stuff. And I still generally liked all the stories, there are just some that clearly stand out.

But for me, Children of the Fang had more "okay, this is cool" moments.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DurianGray posted:

Last night I finished reading Leech by Hiron Ennes. It's a sort of gothic horror, fantasy, sci-fi, post-post-apocalypse. The point of view character is a sort of parasite hivemind that lives in human hosts, and the world itself is an interesting far-future climate-wrecked France (there's occasional use of weird speculative future French that I thought was a neat touch). The main character is a doctor who is sent to take care of an ailing baron who rules over a far-north mountain mining town as well as find out what/who killed its previous host body that was stationed there.

It hit a good balance between making the world pretty weird and still having it be understandable without overexplaining things. The second half of the book does take sort of a turn and become a lot more of a personal/gothic tragedy but I thought it was interesting how it was handled narratively (hard to go into detail about it without huge spoilers though). Overall it struck me as sort of reminiscent of something like Bloodborne (vibes more than setting/story) and really close to something like The Monster of Elendhaven -- so if you (like me) enjoy that kind of pseudo-victorian/gothic setting that almost evokes steampunk but is completely different (and much better) this might be worth checking out.

Crossposting from the scifi thread because I ended up reading and quite enjoying this, excellent prose and dialog, strange setting and characters, and very interesting perspective.

This book is written in first person from a body-snatching hivemind, and it got me thinking, what are some other good books from the perspective from the monster? Grendel, though that's not really horror, Interview with the Vampire and others in that series, Lesser Dead is vampire POV, what else?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Idle Amalgam posted:

I liked more stories in Children of the Fang, than I did Corpsemouth or Sefira, but there's a certain consistency to his writing that I enjoy now that I've worked through all of his stuff. And I still generally liked all the stories, there are just some that clearly stand out.

But for me, Children of the Fang had more "okay, this is cool" moments.

Excellent, I'll put Children of the Fang into the queue and come back for Corpsemouth later - thanks!

zoux posted:

Crossposting from the scifi thread because I ended up reading and quite enjoying this, excellent prose and dialog, strange setting and characters, and very interesting perspective.

This book is written in first person from a body-snatching hivemind, and it got me thinking, what are some other good books from the perspective from the monster? Grendel, though that's not really horror, Interview with the Vampire and others in that series, Lesser Dead is vampire POV, what else?

If short fiction is okay, The Things by Peter Watts is exactly this and quiet good, nominated for a Hugo among several others, and winner of the 2010 Shirley Jackson award. Watts is a master of the alien POV, also featured in (and arguably central to) his full-length SF horror novel Blindsight, highly recommended.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Kestral posted:

I would put Gemma Files in this category. A lot of her monsters are just hosed up monsters for monstersake.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Same for Christopher Slatsky and Philip Fracassi. The former writes along the Ligotti lines and the latter similar to what you get in Wounds, but with a good hit of Americana in some stories (The Soda Jerk being one short story).

Also you need to read the WXXT books by Mathew Bartlett

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

hell, your post reminded me that I need to read Beneath a Pale Sky by Fracassi myself, thanks OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I made it about five pages into one of Fracassi’s collections before moving on. atrocious prose and worse dialogue