Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I will admit i was a bit sad that both Jackson and Hammer like nah it's just a one off thing we aren't gonna make an album of this.

Funny is the mockumentary of Jacket is how Rusty finds out Dermot is his bastard son :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Rust just starting to act like a dad to Dermott out of nowhere was great. Like you can easily piece it together that he’s trying to start instilling his virtues or whatever but to the characters he’s just being extra dickish.

Dermott joining OSI is kind of sad tho. Like, I get why but I feel like he’ll just end up like so much henchman fodder.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mr. Nice! posted:

I could totally see 21 hearing 24 talk to him and Zero joining in.

The hardest this show ever made me laugh was when 21 bemoaned 24 not even letting him jerk off - in his best impression of 24's voice.

"I can't even masturbate without *poof* 'Uh, hey bud, gonna rub one out?'" :mad:

TK-42-1 posted:

Dermott joining OSI is kind of sad tho. Like, I get why but I feel like he’ll just end up like so much henchman fodder.

Dermott annoyed Brock and still draws breath. He inherited genetic plot armor.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

TK-42-1 posted:

Yeah I didn't really dig that because it made the world feel smaller, but on the other hand a dropout like Dermott going into the military is pretty accurate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Dermott annoyed Brock and still draws breath. He inherited genetic plot armor.

To be fair, Brock specifically doesn't harm kids, and Dermott's still a minor at that point. That said, I feel like Brock is also (just) mature enough to brush off a shithead teenager, especially one who's actually a much needed normal friend to Hank. (A shithead, yeah, but a normal kind of shithead) That said, he's definitely got plot armour.

Nilbop posted:

Yeah I didn't really dig that because it made the world feel smaller, but on the other hand a dropout like Dermott going into the military is pretty accurate.

He does mention that he apparently had Rusty pull strings (or more likely ask really nicely) to get Dermott into the OSI, in exchange for him not making noise about being Rusty's kid. And besides, it's not exactly making the world smaller- Dermott actively wants to be part of it, and so he ends up in a role that's part of that world at least on the sidelines as the shithead private he was always meant to be, but also means he's actually getting proper training and equipment. Gotta wonder what ridiculous gimmick he'll end up with.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I am Dermot... Dermot..tits yup dermatitis!

I make your skin all... itchy so don't touch me! Yeah my power is so lame.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Dermott will become Sergeant Apathy, annoying do-gooders with his uncaring and unfeeling attitudes towards their respective "things."

"Whatever, dingus." :colbert:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
The Venturestein speech “you beautiful vivisected angel” where he throws out “They call us abomination, now we form A Bomb a NATION” is such stupid but hilarious wordplay. I knew it was coming but it still gets a big laugh every time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Now I'm picturing an episode that will never be made where Dermott gets assigned as Venturestein's bodyguard for an important diplomatic event and shenanigans ensue

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Relentlessboredomm posted:

The Venturestein speech “you beautiful vivisected angel” where he throws out “They call us abomination, now we form A Bomb a NATION” is such stupid but hilarious wordplay. I knew it was coming but it still gets a big laugh every time.

"... See? He not even good at science!"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I think it was Abomi-Nation. He wanted a home for all the weird science experiments gone wrong.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Dermott will become Sergeant Apathy, annoying do-gooders with his uncaring and unfeeling attitudes towards their respective "things."

"Whatever, dingus." :colbert:

Puttin' the non-com in non-committal

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LividLiquid posted:

I think it was Abomi-Nation. He wanted a home for all the weird science experiments gone wrong.

Yeah, it's this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TK-42-1 posted:

Rust just starting to act like a dad to Dermott out of nowhere was great. Like you can easily piece it together that he’s trying to start instilling his virtues or whatever but to the characters he’s just being extra dickish.

Dermott getting left behind when they moved to NYC was kind of weird.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

in general i feel like they’re too good at creating intriguing characters and do a good job of trying to build character arcs to move things forward bc almost all of my complaints are about how some characters don’t get included enough.

for instance I could watch an entire series just with Hank doing noir detective mysteries with Al as his sidekick. I know that’s unrealistic and I’d just settle for getting more Al in any capacity. (And i would trade that for less phantom limb, the least interesting character in my opinion in return)

LividLiquid posted:

Yep you’re right. I always catch the back half.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

in general i feel like they’re too good at creating intriguing characters and do a good job of trying to build character arcs to move things forward bc almost all of my complaints are about how some characters don’t get included enough.

Completely agree. Virtually any of the main cast is a strong enough character to lead their own show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually now picturing Dermott having the Usopp arc where he ends up living out all his ridiculous lies for real. And possibly then is unable to brag about them because no one believes him.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Give me a whole episode of Dermot being "arched" by the OSI version of the DMV while registering his hands as lethal weapons.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

for instance I could watch an entire series just with Hank doing noir detective mysteries with Al as his sidekick. I know that’s unrealistic and I’d just settle for getting more Al in any capacity. (And i would trade that for less phantom limb, the least interesting character in my opinion in return)

I love Phantom Limb. He’s the perfect self-serious foil to all the weirdos and wannabes.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

AlternateNu posted:

I love Phantom Limb. He’s the perfect self-serious foil to all the weirdos and wannabes.

His personality is great, his visuals could be better with a better gimmick. His gimmick just feels so much more one off than he is. But maybe that also makes him great, even that guy has to live every single day. Brick Frog has a life!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

Kinda funny to have what's arguably the main antagonist for most of the show end up more in the background because he won, kinda, he got what he wanted and no longer has a reason to oppose the main characters. (Aside from when on the job)

Actually, come to think of it, the last couple seasons have Rusty fail upwards into a huge corporation and begin to run it into the ground, while in contrast, the Monarch ends up at rock bottom and starting to literally rebuild his own ancestral home while working his way up in the Guild. Also interesting that he actually turns out to be pretty good as a Guild black ops hatchet man, along with 21- well, I suppose they're like 21 and 24 for the Guild, just the right mix of skilled, lucky, genre aware and expendable. Kind of a theme in the last season of people starting to find their place.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What’s the over under on the movie bringing back the Aquagen song?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
With Dean trying to find Hank montage? that would be a fantastic callback.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

They have to blow the entire budget on it again to do it right. License it and also pay AG to write and perform a new rendition specific to the film.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda funny to have what's arguably the main antagonist for most of the show end up more in the background because he won, kinda, he got what he wanted and no longer has a reason to oppose the main characters. (Aside from when on the job)

Actually, come to think of it, the last couple seasons have Rusty fail upwards into a huge corporation and begin to run it into the ground, while in contrast, the Monarch ends up at rock bottom and starting to literally rebuild his own ancestral home while working his way up in the Guild. Also interesting that he actually turns out to be pretty good as a Guild black ops hatchet man, along with 21- well, I suppose they're like 21 and 24 for the Guild, just the right mix of skilled, lucky, genre aware and expendable. Kind of a theme in the last season of people starting to find their place.

The Monarch was always incredibly ruthless but he's just never been able to care about anything that wasn't getting Dr. Venture- I mean, he probably would've walked away from Dr. Dugong if not for Sheila encouraging him to imagine him as Rusty. Once he has to pry his focus off Dr. Venture and apply it to other people in the pursuit of being able to go after him, he's the terrifying angel of death he always had it in him to be. His hatred for Rusty probably prevented some pretty horrific carnage over the years by keeping him aimed at one target and keeping the casualties confined largely to Fluttering Horde henchmen.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I’m trying to remember, has there ever been a time where Brock just beat the poo poo out of the Monarch the way he does his henchmen?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

No, possibly because it could be against the rules.

He beat up henchmen and threatened Dr Girlfriend by holding her as a hostage, but not physically attacking the Monarch. This is consistent with the Henchman < Number 2 < Villain system. Brock can fight Dr Girlfriend because they're both Number 2s, but because she's a woman, he has to also obey the no women, no children rule.

Like how only a king can fight a king, the Mighty Monarch can only be engaged in combat by one Rusty Venture.

Of course, you can go down the ladder, which is why the Death's Head Panoply was the final solution in tailoring.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
only in the pilot did he put his hands on Monarch. Well poked his eyes out.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Shindragon posted:

They hit him with a truck.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I've wondered if the lack of fear the Monarch shows in Victor Echo November is a result of overconfidence, contempt, or an understanding of Brock himself. I doubt it's from Guild regulations; the Monarch's never been a Guild guy or put interest in learning their codes, it's always been Sheila's thing to know those details.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

nice rear end, sampson

I think Brock has a respect for the Monarch and his craft. Like when they did the whole birthday breakout thing Brock was more than happy to play along. God this show is so full of ‘best bits’ I love it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ironslave posted:

I've wondered if the lack of fear the Monarch shows in Victor Echo November is a result of overconfidence, contempt, or an understanding of Brock himself. I doubt it's from Guild regulations; the Monarch's never been a Guild guy or put interest in learning their codes, it's always been Sheila's thing to know those details.

Narcissistic megalomaniacs are noted for their poor risk analysis capabilities

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Shindragon posted:

He also took Monarch's loving car in the S3 finale.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
is it the only time the monarch actually shows fear when he encounters red death?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't think The Monarch is a narcissist or a megalomaniac, personally.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TK-42-1 posted:

I think Brock has a respect for the Monarch and his craft. Like when they did the whole birthday breakout thing Brock was more than happy to play along. God this show is so full of ‘best bits’ I love it.

I always loved the look Brock flashes when the Monarch thanks him for the "gift" of breaking out.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

is it the only time the monarch actually shows fear when he encounters red death?

What about "poo poo! Mall cops!"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Presumably, you're on your own as far as the Guild is concerned when you mix it up inside a shopping mall.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Oh, he also seems genuinely terrified in Home is Where the Hate is when Rusty joins him and Hatred in the hot tub with the micro explosive planted on his spine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Mall cops, naked hot tub explosions, and Red Death is a pretty solid list of things to fear.

I forgot how loving cool they made Red Death but it makes sense, he’s basically filling the Dr. Killinger void.

Speaking of Red Death, sadly I just finished my rewatch of the whole series and it bears repeating, Jonas Venture Sr was an rear end in a top hat of truly meteoric proportions. Godbless Vendata for killing his rear end.

Kinda wish we could get a whole solo Hank season too.