Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Unsweetened carbonated drinks for a lot of people are just super bitter so the market will never be big enough for it to be wide spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If I commit to only drinking diet it starts to taste normal to me but like one sugar coke and I'm back in.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I switched over to 7.5 oz cans a few years back, so now whenever I get a 12 oz can, it feels enormous.

I wish that they made more flavors in 7.5 oz sizes.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lol imagining the Zoolander tiny phone gag but with like a thimble sized can of Diet Coke

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I find stevia to be particularly heinous and I hate when they sneak it in there like it ain't no thang

----------------

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

EEKA GEEK posted:

I find stevia to be particularly heinous and I hate when they sneak it in there like it ain't no thang

sometimes i'll be like "i should try Zevia again, a different flavor, maybe it won't be so bad this time." foolish.

----------------

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I bought a whole bunch of Jones soda recently just because it was a luxury item growing up that I never had (much like Chubby brand soda) but it's far too sweet for my liking nowadays

I do like the Warhead sodas, they have a respectable amount of sour, which I crave :hai:

----------------

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

EEKA GEEK posted:

I bought a whole bunch of Jones soda recently just because it was a luxury item growing up that I never had (much like Chubby brand soda) but it's far too sweet for my liking nowadays

I do like the Warhead sodas, they have a respectable amount of sour, which I crave :hai:

You should try the warhead and sour patch kids flavored Ghost energy drinks.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
god i wish i didn't have an aversion to artificial sweeteners 'cause the sour patch ghost starts out so promising

mountain dew make the sour patch kid dew a permanent flavor goddamnit

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Nikumatic posted:

i wish there were better wholly unsweetened options than sparkling waters; hint water tastes good but is expensive as poo poo. steaz has a good unsweetened green tea with a few flavors.

Hint is 18 bottles for 15 bucks at the warehouse stores which isn’t bad. I mix one in with the purified water just as a change of pace.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

My gf is a big orange soda aficionado and she tried the Fanta zero sugar orange flavor. Said it was much better than expected, almost couldn’t tell it was diet

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

its too bad none of the home carbonator appliances like sodastream can never quite get the carbonation right to make soda taste exactly like what you can buy in the store. that and the syrups they sell aren't the same unless you buy those 5 gallon boxes used for fountain dispensers

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I look at those sometimes because they seem cheap but the CO2 is really expensive.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I just swapped out two cannisters earlier today and it was $15 each. Seems expensive, but it they've lasted for at least 3 months and I use them at least every other day.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I built my own carbonator because I didn’t want to support sodastream for political reasons but also it’s extremely cheap to refill a standard co2 bottle. They’re really easy to build it’s just screwing some threaded fittings together

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I never bothered looking that up before, but it looks pretty drat easy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I finally tried the Peepsi. It's decent. Starlight is probably my favorite in "Sodas that done taste like cotton candy" genre but this is right behind.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

I built my own carbonator because I didn’t want to support sodastream for political reasons but also it’s extremely cheap to refill a standard co2 bottle. They’re really easy to build it’s just screwing some threaded fittings together

I'm guessing mailing them in like SodaStream suggests is why they are so expensive.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Fartington Butts posted:

I never bothered looking that up before, but it looks pretty drat easy.
It is easy, but if anyone tries it, do not skimp on the regulator. That’s not the area to save a few dollars.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rick posted:

I finally tried the Peepsi. It's decent. Starlight is probably my favorite in "Sodas that done taste like cotton candy" genre but this is right behind.

I definitely wish Starlight was a permanent flavor

----------------

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Rick posted:

I'm guessing mailing them in like SodaStream suggests is why they are so expensive.

Also "give away the razor, sell the blades".

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Iron Crowned posted:

I definitely wish Starlight was a permanent flavor

I still have a couple of the 8.5 oz cans of Starlight in my fridge because I can't find anyone willing to drink it.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

this poo poo right here

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

That's good stuff. Especially when they've put like half an ounce of blue dye in every bottle.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
interesting

quote:

In summary, Brain Wash Red Carbonated Drink:

has a unique ominous theme with matching slogans on the bottle
is a red liquid with noisy carbonation
tastes like club soda with bitter oranges, capsicum, jalapeno, lime, sage rub, and pepper

have to keep an eye out for this when i go to sodypop/candy store next.

----------------

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
it hasn't existed in years if not decades.

but, like the skeleton in the last unicorn, I can remember

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Definitely had a brain wash from the specialty soda section at Bev Mo here and there over the years. Good stuff.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Mr sausage delivers the content I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWGZgjyqH_k

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ziv Zulander posted:

Mr sausage delivers the content I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWGZgjyqH_k

so gross lol

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Ranking of "Convenience stores where the fountain soda is most likely to taste like it tastes out of a bottle or can, Dr. Pepper Excluded Because Nothing Mitigate Its Powerful Flavor":

1. 7-11
2. Quik Trip
3. Kind of lovely But In A Good Way Local Chain That Used To Be Named Quick Mart But Was Bought And Renamed Speedy Mart to Try to Avoid Confusion With The Chain Stores Quik Trip But Then Speedway Opened A Bunch of Stores Here So It's Still Confusing: Speedy Mart
4. Speedway
5. Circle K

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Smythe posted:

so gross lol

"seeing how the sausage is made" + his horrible goblin voice = A++ content

----------------

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I never saw Peepsi in stores.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i once saw someone post an anecdote about how they owned themselves when they were working at some fast food joint by trying to chug soda to get caffeinated, but then found out that fountain soda doesn't have caffeine

but then elsewhere on the internet i saw posts that say fountain soda is caffeinated

which is it?????/?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

My weird Mormon cousins have been going with that probably false urban legend for their entire lives

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Fartington Butts posted:

My weird Mormon cousins have been going with that probably false urban legend for their entire lives

it is false. but for them it's rules-lawyering God, sort of like soaking.

----------------

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i once saw someone post an anecdote about how they owned themselves when they were working at some fast food joint by trying to chug soda to get caffeinated, but then found out that fountain soda doesn't have caffeine

but then elsewhere on the internet i saw posts that say fountain soda is caffeinated

which is it?????/?

uber_stoat posted:

it is false.

Correct, it's just like regular soda. The caffeine stuff like Coke has it, the stuff like 7-Up that doesn't, doesn't. Maybe there's a chance that there's some weird off brand generic syrup that when you order a Pepsi or whatever, they pass off some generic cola that doesn't have any. A dive bar I frequent has generic cola on the gun for mixed drinks and the like, but I'm certain it's caffeinated, just saying maybe there's a small chance there's some brand out there that isn't, I don't know.

I never see caffeine free cola at regular fountains, maybe those freestyle machines have it? It looks like on the site there can be a caffeine free diet coke in them, along with all the expected stuff like the Sprite and such.

Fartington Butts posted:

Also it could be this, whoever made the claim was just buying into that "lying to yourself to make it okay" junk. While most either follow the rules to the letter or just don't care, a couple of unrelated Mormon friends of mine when I was a kid both drank more soda than anyone. When asked about it, one said something along the lines of "well you're not supposed to, and god and/or the church doesn't like it (I forget which), but it doesn't mean you can't" along with a healthy dose of guilt to go with that, and the other's entire family flat out claimed Dr. Pepper didn't have caffeine which is some total denial crap.

Anyhow yeah, fountain soda typically is just like regular soda, except its fountain soda, with all the inconsistencies for better or worse you would expect with that.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
There's one exception I know of, Barq's. Bottled and canned Barq's root beer has caffeine. Fountain Barq's does not, unless it's Diet which does.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Twenty Four posted:

Correct, it's just like regular soda. The caffeine stuff like Coke has it, the stuff like 7-Up that doesn't, doesn't. Maybe there's a chance that there's some weird off brand generic syrup that when you order a Pepsi or whatever, they pass off some generic cola that doesn't have any. A dive bar I frequent has generic cola on the gun for mixed drinks and the like, but I'm certain it's caffeinated, just saying maybe there's a small chance there's some brand out there that isn't, I don't know.

I believe that most bar guns have RC Cola in them, I do not know if RC Cola is caffeinated in any of it's forms though.

----------------

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Squirt used to be caffeinated in the bottle but not the fountain but it is now universally caffeine free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I believe that most bar guns have RC Cola in them, I do not know if RC Cola is caffeinated in any of it's forms though.

Rick posted:

Squirt used to be caffeinated in the bottle but not the fountain but it is now universally caffeine free.

both very interesting factoids. soda thread stays winning