Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Remember the pencils that were a series of just tips on a tube, and when it went too dull, you'll pull it out, and then slide it back into the top of the pencil to "load" the next tip?

Looks like they still sell them:

I was thinking of these just the other day trying to tell someone about them but I couldn't think of a good name to call them. "Stackable" for some reason did not enter my head. I kept calling them conveyor pencils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And then when you lost one of the tips the whole thing was unusable.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Shifty Nipples posted:

In third or fourth grade we discovered we could put a piece of construction paper into a bottle of glue and the color would leach out and make your glue be any color you want.

We did this by ripping the ink tubes out of crayola markers! Mine was purple :3:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Neito posted:

Playing the remaster of Klonoa (A very pleasent "Wahooo" to everyone who wants one) reminds me of a lot of that era of mascot platformers and Playstation/Saturn games; specifically, making them reletively short but hard as hell, and also how "checkpoints" were something that took us a good ten to twenty further years of development to really understand.

The soundtrack to Klonoa absolutely slaps, and I still listen to it frequently, it's a great game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cbcc4ler1Y

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

widefault posted:

And then when you lost one of the tips the whole thing was unusable.

This is why the traditional mechanical pencil will always be superior. 0.5mm obviously. Get out of here with your 0.7 or, god forbid, 0.9 lead size. Ridiculous.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

This is why the traditional mechanical pencil will always be superior. 0.5mm obviously. Get out of here with your 0.7 or, god forbid, 0.9 lead size. Ridiculous.

Go big or go home.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think I remember those. The '90s were the golden era of weird and wonderful school supplies: Yikes and triangular pencils, Trapper Keepers, Lisa Frank. There was even colorful glue:

It's another school thing that seemed cool at first but ultimately was just glue. I'm not sure the color even stayed when the glue dried.

We weren't allowed to have this in school for reasons

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
"gang colors"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Milo and POTUS posted:

"gang colors"

No I think because kids used way too much of it and it bled though paper or some poo poo. It was 30 years ago.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

DrBouvenstein posted:

Remember the pencils that were a series of just tips on a tube, and when it went too dull, you'll pull it out, and then slide it back into the top of the pencil to "load" the next tip?

Looks like they still sell them:

Oh gently caress yes I swore by these as a kid. Normal pencils got too dull, and our hand crank pencil sharpener would make the lead break off basically immediately, and my dumb rear end somehow made mechanical pencils jam up way too often

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Killingyouguy! posted:

Oh gently caress yes I swore by these as a kid. Normal pencils got too dull, and our hand crank pencil sharpener would make the lead break off basically immediately, and my dumb rear end somehow made mechanical pencils jam up way too often
It's not the sharpener breaking the lead. The lead was already broken from dropping the pencil. Basically you have to baby pencils in ways you can't expect from a child.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I hate pencils in general and the second I could get away with writing with pen forever I took it.

But I could tolerate mechanical ones

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Of you don’t use Ticonderoga pencils then you done hosed up. That is the best brand, hands down.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mirado Black Warrior

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Wayne Knight posted:

Mirado Black Warrior

Was just gonna post this lol

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

dialhforhero posted:

Of you don’t use Ticonderoga pencils then you done hosed up. That is the best brand, hands down.

i accidentally bought some of these and soon realized they are perfect for my trembling, palsied claws.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Shifty Nipples posted:

In third or fourth grade we discovered we could put a piece of construction paper into a bottle of glue and the color would leach out and make your glue be any color you want.

We did this in second grade but we used the inside of a marker

Wayne Knight posted:

Mirado Black Warrior

This is the correct option

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

my dumb rear end somehow made mechanical pencils jam up way too often

You're supposed to hold them with your hand.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

uber_stoat posted:

i accidentally bought some of these and soon realized they are perfect for my trembling, palsied claws.

My favorite school pencils were the natural wood ones made by that huge pencil company that wasn't Ticonderoga.

EDIT: Paper Mate, I'm pretty sure.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 05:13 on Apr 11, 2023

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I remember having a set of mechanical crayons and a bunch of pencils that had a reuleaux triangle cross section like a wankel engine rotor.
I recall that one time a kid in my class brought in this foot long half inch thick novelty pencil covered in glittery holofoil but they had to give it up because there were no sharpeners big enough for it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I hate pencils in general and the second I could get away with writing with pen forever I took it.

same, but in the 90s that also briefly meant

and they were the loving worst

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Those Zebra mechanical pencils with the microscopic erasers were hot trash.

The antitheses of those were the standalone Pentel click erasers. Love those. I would post pics but i can't on imgur on mobile for some reason

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 11:44 on Apr 11, 2023

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I also like the mechanical pencils that look like pencils but the lead comes out by twisting the pencil end.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Unperson_47 posted:

Those Zebra mechanical pencils with the microscopic erasers were hot trash.

The antitheses of those were the standalone Pentel click erasers. Love those. I would post pics but i can't on imgur on mobile for some reason

Zebra pens and pencils were like an elaborate trap. The ink in their pens uses a glue base or something. poo poo pens

RhomboidSphinx
Jun 17, 2013
They used to give those triangular pencils to us lefties at school as apparently they were easier for us to use than standard pencils??? Don't know what pop science that came from
Not that they helped. Everything you write gets immediately smudged unless you hold the implement in a sort of hosed up deathgrip.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

RhomboidSphinx posted:

They used to give those triangular pencils to us lefties at school as apparently they were easier for us to use than standard pencils??? Don't know what pop science that came from
Not that they helped. Everything you write gets immediately smudged unless you hold the implement in a sort of hosed up deathgrip.

I had the triangular rubber thing that went over my pencils but I need up just loving it up and taking it off because I hated it. My writing still sucks.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm a righty, but I guess my pen/pencil grip is incorrect, because I still smudge my ink. I have a sort of...overhand "death grip", for lack of a better word? I curl my hand sort of "up and over" the pen rather than just come in straight from underneath.

So what happens is that my hand will drag across the row above it when I'm writing. And since I write fast, the ink often doesn't have time to dry before my stupid grip rubs all over it and it smudges. Not as bad as a lefty typically smudges, but still annoying. Thankfully, with how little anyone writes by ahnd anymore, it's not really a problem. I also have sort of forced myself to just write a little slower

But in school, no amount of those triangle things, or other "grip assist" covers for pens/pencils fixed it. My handwriting was poor as a kid, but even after forcing me to use those things for months in more than one grade in elementary school, and my handwriting, if anything, getting WORSE, pretty much every teacher gave up.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I do something similar, basically using two fingers "on top" instead of just the one. This just made me realize how little I write on actual paper in recent years. I always had a circular callus on the inside of my right ring finger from holding writing implements this way, but now it's completely gone.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Did y'alls teachers not cover how to properly hold a pen? Your grip looks painful to maintain for long

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Killingyouguy! posted:

Did y'alls teachers not cover how to properly hold a pen? Your grip looks painful to maintain for long

Some people just don't figure out certain poo poo.
I know a gang of poo poo about a gang of poo poo, but I'm fuckin stupid when it comes to math beyond basic add, subtract, multiply and divide.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Killingyouguy! posted:

Not really, it was actually uncomfortable to do the thumb and one finger grip so I did what felt more natural to my hand :shrug:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Yeah, I guess whenever I first started learning to hold a pencil or crayon, my parents/teachers never took a hard enough look (until it was too late), so I continued to hold it like a freakin' toddler my whole life.

The times I've tried to hold it the "right" way, it's slightly uncomfortable, but mostly I just can't get a good grip on it? It feels too "loose", I need all those fingers.

But I also have kind of crummy finger dexterity in general, so maybe that's all related? :iiam:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I think these are the general types of pen grips:

so this:

would be a Dynamic Quadrupod meets Lateral Tripod... sort of?

(the Dynamic Tripod is the One True God's Own Pen Grip)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Did you know that people who work in kindergartens are quietly judging how you grip your pencil? Because we do.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Trabant posted:

(the Dynamic Tripod is the One True God's Own Pen Grip)

Yeah Dynamic Tripod was the only one my teachers would accept by like second or third grade, whenever it was we were doing cursive drills

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

We got those pencil-grip things with the 3 side dents for thumb and fingers in elementary school to help with "proper pencil holding", but that was the 80s.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Did you know that people who work in kindergartens are quietly judging how you grip your pencil? Because we do.

Well you'll be happy to know I at least hold my cutlery the proper way, and not, like...prison-style.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I went to occupational therapy for several years from like 3rd to 6th grade, learning how to hold a pencil correctly and write in cursive was a large part of the half dealing with fine motor skills. We eventually gave up on cursive.

This would have been ~1990-1993.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I am left-handed lateral quadropod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i must acquire this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSt4E0pOb-0