Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
here's a fun svg thing

https://codepen.io/mstaniuk/pen/MjywrE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of my first post college jobs was a temp gig creating thousands of navigational menu images in 5 different states because it had a custom font and iconography, the fact that nobody will have to do that ever again is good

I hacked together some scripting in photoshop to automate the whole process except I had to make buckets for one line text and ones that wrapped to two, finished that in four days instead of the two months they had budgeted so they [a major national bank] tried to make me their art director because they'd had three quit in the previous year

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

qirex posted:

one of my first post college jobs was a temp gig creating thousands of navigational menu images in 5 different states because it had a custom font and iconography, the fact that nobody will have to do that ever again is good

I hacked together some scripting in photoshop to automate the whole process except I had to make buckets for one line text and ones that wrapped to two, finished that in four days instead of the two months they had budgeted so they [a major national bank] tried to make me their art director because they'd had three quit in the previous year

you majorly hosed up by telling anyone you were done and i hope you learned a valuable lesson

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

qirex posted:

this is why it's only really suitable for pictures, a svg is a rendered vector image not an original editable source

except you can in fact embed fonts, making the text editable? like I think the editability is half the point

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i'm not sure anyone knows what "the" point of svg is. part of the problem is that it kinda tries to wear too many hats

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

i'm not sure anyone knows what "the" point of svg is. part of the problem is that it kinda tries to wear too many hats

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Finally, a picture that lets me actually boop that snoot when I need to! :nyoron:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
gently caress webp

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Leperflesh posted:

The SVG file format permits embedded bitmap images, I guess so you can like, put icons into a diagram or something, but lately we've come across images that are "converted" to svg by just slapping the SVG xml header in front. How very smart thanks folks that is super helpful.

drum scanners used to generate multiple Encapsulated PostScript files, one per color channel, plus a control file (also Encapsulated PostScript) containing an optional low-resolution preview—all bitmaps

I worked for a time on software whose primary job was to extract the bits from the color channel files for more accurate previews in QuarkXPress than just the low-res one would provide, especially when generating full-resolution previews of things like magazine pages with scanned ads imposed

why they didn’t just use loving TIFF I’ll never know

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Leperflesh posted:

except you can in fact embed fonts, making the text editable? like I think the editability is half the point

it could be murky for accessibility, depending on how the svg is embedded… maybe? i've not tested a bunch of text in a svg because that's discouraged from the days of raster images

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the folder called MacOS that appears in every zip archive made on a mac, apparently

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

the folder called MacOS that appears in every zip archive made on a mac, apparently

it's the PC equivalent of "Sent from my iPhone"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

it could be murky for accessibility, depending on how the svg is embedded… maybe? i've not tested a bunch of text in a svg because that's discouraged from the days of raster images

https://stackoverflow.com/questions...nt%20to%20show.

I don't immediately find clear answers but it does appear that at least some of the text embedded in an .svg markup could be readable by JAWS etc.

The W3C says SVGs have lots of accessibility features, but of course it's up to implementers to take advantage of them.
https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG-access/

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

zip doesn’t preserve resource forks of Mac files which is why mods for and Mac original games get hosed since a ton of the data is stored there. ev nova and marathon being big ones for having a deep mac mod community before the ports.

having to use the pc StuffIt expander is pretty funny.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

I don't immediately find clear answers but it does appear that at least some of the text embedded in an .svg markup could be readable by JAWS etc.

The W3C says SVGs have lots of accessibility features, but of course it's up to implementers to take advantage of them.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Element/title

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

eschaton posted:

drum scanners used to generate multiple Encapsulated PostScript files, one per color channel, plus a control file (also Encapsulated PostScript) containing an optional low-resolution preview—all bitmaps

I worked for a time on software whose primary job was to extract the bits from the color channel files for more accurate previews in QuarkXPress than just the low-res one would provide, especially when generating full-resolution previews of things like magazine pages with scanned ads imposed

why they didn’t just use loving TIFF I’ll never know

good memories of sending a 200 page catalog to the scitex dolev to print separations overnight and realizing hours later you forgot to load the hires assets off the optical drives. and that thing ran AIX!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
bripe

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
i use svg

doesn't work in safari though idc

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

AtomD posted:

i use svg

doesn't work in safari though idc

hell yeah

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
drat that takes me back.

——>8——-

project looking glass

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

jeff gerstmann uploaded some photos of some failed 90's magazine that had a bunch of random "youth culture" stuff in it, which included MTG

the line at the front page of the article sure is something. "with the single purpose of sucking the very life essence from their adversaries, they reach deep inside their bag of tricks, hoping to find that one wicked and irrefutable curse which will send a rival wizard screaming into the darkest chasm of non-being."

This was a post about magic but I'm laughing at the classic horrible speakers (I had a pair of CS-800s) and also the internet resources.

Anonymous FTP hosted on a university server! A subdomain at yoyodyne.com! The deckmaster usenet group!

hosed up line spacing for style, in a graphic reeking of early 90s photoshoppery!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 12, 2023

matti
Mar 31, 2019

many wizards are computer professionals

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

When I was 10, my parents upgraded from a 286 with EGA and a monochrome monitor to a shiny Gateway 2000 with Windows 95 and a Pentium. Changed my life forever :allears:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I worked preload shift at UPS in the mid-late 90s, I worked on the line for the 94105 zip code which is downtown san francisco and so every few days some company on my line would get in an order of gateways. The parade of cow boxes heading across the conveyer belts was always a discouraging sight, foretelling the doom of some unlucky loader who would have to figure out what the gently caress to do with 80 monitors or whatever.

I developed a sort of pavlovian aversion to gateways, lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gateway stores, but they didnt have any inventory. you'd paw at some p2 tower, say "yep thats the one" and get it in the mail 10 days later

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

gateway stores, but they didnt have any inventory. you'd paw at some p2 tower, say "yep thats the one" and get it in the mail 10 days later

all the industry expert pundits predicting apple retail would fail miserably because even gateway couldn’t do it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Leperflesh posted:

I worked preload shift at UPS in the mid-late 90s, I worked on the line for the 94105 zip code which is downtown san francisco and so every few days some company on my line would get in an order of gateways. The parade of cow boxes heading across the conveyer belts was always a discouraging sight, foretelling the doom of some unlucky loader who would have to figure out what the gently caress to do with 80 monitors or whatever.

idk if you've seen the ups thread in whatever the blog forum is called but it is a trip to read and remember (i worked night shift for five years)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXnJqYwebF8

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Poopernickel posted:

When I was 10, my parents upgraded from a 286 with EGA and a monochrome monitor to a shiny Gateway 2000 with Windows 95 and a Pentium. Changed my life forever :allears:

We upgraded from an Acer 486 to a gateway with a pentium 2 at 300mhz and later on I slapped a voodoo 3 2000 in it to play deus ex :cheers: got so nervous about seating it and potentially ruining the family PC I threw up lol

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
First thing I bought for that computer:

a copy of X-Wing and this:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wish computer companies -- actually any companies -- still had fun themes like cow print instead of this totally sanitized insipid cargo cult minimalism that has grown like a cancer from the apple stores.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
the 90s were a magical decade

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

i wish computer companies -- actually any companies -- still had fun themes like cow print instead of this totally sanitized insipid cargo cult minimalism that has grown like a cancer from the apple stores.

our printer paper comes in Dunder Mifflin branded boxes

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
when ibm had retail stores in malls

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sagebrush posted:

i'd settle for the windows logo being 4 colours again, i'd prefer for it to be a recognisable shape and not just a 2x2 grid of squares too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

flat ui is a loving disaster imo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

rotor posted:

the worst part is when i remote into a windows server and it's just white on white everywhere (my monitor is on already, thanks) with no borders or frames so i can't even find the right places to grab or click through to the wrong windows sometimes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

yeah but it's much easier to implement so we're stuck with it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

flat ui is bad enough but when you combine flat and monochrome it's just ughhhhhghghghghghghghghgh

like microsoft could have gone ~modern~ with this version of the windows logo. not as nice as the old bubbly one or the one with the trails of dots, but it was right there, and it's at least visually balanced.

but nooo they had to make it (1) flat, (2) monochrome, (3) all straight lines, and (4) off-center.

literally sophomoric. gently caress's sake.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Leperflesh posted:

oh, this is really cool! i've become so used to new gotchas i was quick to write it off