Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Throatwarbler posted:

there are 5 or 6 different cars all called etron

Did he have the rebadged taycan or the rebadged id4

Whichever one was the SUV named e-tron in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
a friend of mine has an OG etron and it's solid. slightly short legs but it's been quite reliable. He puts significant miles on it, I think about 15k a year. It had a CPO warranty. I think there was an issue with the charger door that was warrantied, and an issue with the infotainment system software but the latter wasn't specific to it being an EV.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

a friend of mine has an OG etron and it's solid. slightly short legs but it's been quite reliable. He puts significant miles on it, I think about 15k a year. It had a CPO warranty. I think there was an issue with the charger door that was warrantied, and an issue with the infotainment system software but the latter wasn't specific to it being an EV.

So they’re got adjustable pedals for your friends short legs? Like an F150?

How short are we talking here?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I think he is referring to range since it's an electric.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I know, I was just pulling his short leg

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dr. Lunchables posted:

technically the post implied that the car is some kind of mech with lil stubby legs

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

technically the post implied that the car is some kind of mech with lil stubby legs

An etron is sorta urbanmech shaped if you squint very hard.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Even for today's BMW, this looks a bit gauche.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/suvs/738bhp-bmw-xm-label-red-really-does-put-lipstick-pig

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
That looks like a baboon’s rear end.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Looks like something from an A-Team remake.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus christ bmw

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I have to shoot video at an event for BMW tomorrow and I have no idea what car is being shown but thank you for showing that photo now so I don't embarrass myself laughing out loud in case someone pulls a curtain to reveal that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
My severe dislike of BMW becoming more justified every day

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

My severe dislike of BMW becoming more justified every day

:emptyquote:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'd forgive it all for an M340i Touring 😩

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is what happens when the Germans don't get a proper war for almost a century

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

This is what happens when the Germans don't get a proper war for almost a century

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
A few weeks ago we had a discussion about lighted emblems. I'd seen a few Mercedes products that have that, and a few people mentioned some F-350s that had them. I saw an F350 tow truck literally that day that had it.

Speaking of that, that BMW grille surround *has* to be illegal right? Aren't red lights on the front of anything besides and emergency vehicle prohibited in most places?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It ain’t a light

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Fornax Disaster posted:

Expanded the thumbnail expecting goon hyperbole, shrank the thumbnail feeling bad for the baboon that had its rear end stolen.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Literally the pig from angry birds

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Goober Peas posted:

Literally the pig from angry birds

I always thought that some of those BMWs with the butt-cheeks grille kinda looked a bit like:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
the positioning of the car is also kind of weird? It's a large 2 row SUV, so like an X5, which you can already get, and you can already get the X5M with the same engine, so this is for the X5M buyer who also wants the X5 hybrid's drivetrain jammed in there as well? Would just buy an X5 but can't stand to see a blank button on the console where EV mode should be?

BMW's product lineup hasn't made any sense in probably 12 years.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Throatwarbler posted:

the positioning of the car is also kind of weird? It's a large 2 row SUV, so like an X5, which you can already get, and you can already get the X5M with the same engine, so this is for the X5M buyer who also wants the X5 hybrid's drivetrain jammed in there as well? Would just buy an X5 but can't stand to see a blank button on the console where EV mode should be?

BMW's product lineup hasn't made any sense in probably 12 years.

You don’t get luxury products. This is the X5M for the person that thinks X5M’s are for the poors.

It’s gaudy on purpose, think lime green Urus customer base.

Think someone who would buy and wear MSCHF red boots or Balenciaga anything

kill me now fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 13, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

wesleywillis posted:

Speaking of that, that BMW grille surround *has* to be illegal right? Aren't red lights on the front of anything besides and emergency vehicle prohibited in most places?

At least in EU, front strobing lights and sirens are illegal. Static lights are fine as long as it’s the OEM color.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fornax Disaster posted:

Hell yeah it does I love it

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

I just noticed they actually have BMW roundels on the wheels of that label red instead of the really weird embossed "BMW" on the regular XM

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Now I remember what it reminds me of: this Hotwheels Attack Pack monster truck

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

davebo posted:

I have to shoot video at an event for BMW tomorrow and I have no idea what car is being shown but thank you for showing that photo now so I don't embarrass myself laughing out loud in case someone pulls a curtain to reveal that.

Just to follow up, the event is just for the regular XM not this uglier special edition, but all is forgiven because they also brought an old M1 with them.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

These design choices start making sense when I realized that BMW, along with Benz, sells more cars in China than they do in the EU and the US. I think we’ve entered the era where these kinds of cars appeal to the Chinese market and that market sets the taste, sorta similar to how Hollywood has to cater in the same way.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

People have been saying that on Reddit for as long as I can remember, but if you go look at all the Chinese-only models none of them are gaudy as gently caress like this

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

People have been saying that on Reddit for as long as I can remember, but if you go look at all the Chinese-only models none of them are gaudy as gently caress like this

just you wait for what's coming

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

davebo posted:

Just to follow up, the event is just for the regular XM not this uglier special edition, but all is forgiven because they also brought an old M1 with them.

Pics pleeeeeeeaaaaaaase if you can. gently caress M1s are gorgeous.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

moxieman posted:

Pics pleeeeeeeaaaaaaase if you can. gently caress M1s are gorgeous.

New car thread probably isn't the best place for a car as old as me so I'll just do a thumbnail that's a link to three photos.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

BMW: Remember when we used to make cool cars?

Now buy this SUV that looks like a pig with lipstick on its nose.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

davebo posted:

New car thread probably isn't the best place for a car as old as me so I'll just do a thumbnail that's a link to three photos.

New car thread is the perfect place for this car because it shows how bad BMW's designs have gotten since then.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Turns out the greatest BMW is one that was designed by someone else, engineered by someone else, and built by someone else.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Turns out the greatest BMW is one that was designed by someone else, engineered by someone else, and built by someone else.

The M1 is great but it is not the greater BMW than the E30 M3, loving fite me

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

One of my first really solid memories is the sound the of the M3s racing around the Wellington waterfront in the 1987 or 88 Nissan Mobil 500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It might be, but also it doesn't have popup headlights, so who's to say which is greater or not?

dissss posted:

One of my first really solid memories is the sound the of the M3s racing around the Wellington waterfront in the 1987 or 88 Nissan Mobil 500

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP6A6FOZ5pw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT0Y6xlLI1s

Utterly wild selection of cars. E30 M3's, VP and VL Commodores, EA and EB Falcons, Sierra RS500's, 964's, GT-R's in the first clip, then you get into the production stuff: AE82 and AE86 Corollas, Galant VR4, Pulsar GTi-R, a Sierra Cosworth sedan, a loving SAAB!