Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

play link between worlds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

also botw doesn't really have much in common with elder scrolls other than being open world with very little direct guidance (as opposed to many other open world games that have a lot of direct guidance, ie your witcher 3 or horizon zero dawn or whatever). you can definitely feel the influence of a lot of other games and series in it, elder scrolls being one of them, but it's kind of its own thing--which is why it's incredible

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Honestly the only game that felt the closest to BOTW was Elden Ring

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

elden ring felt a lot like they looked at breath of the wild and tried to make the game that is to botw what dark souls is to ocarina of time

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

elden ring doesn't even have weapon condition ergo it's botw for casuals

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BOTW is the elden ring of Zeldas and Elden Ring is the BOTW of Dark Souls

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

botw is a soulslike

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

ngl the inside of hyrule castle in botw is the closest i've ever gotten to feeling like im playing dark souls while playing zelda. i kinda wanna do a playthrough without climbing where i focus on the melee combat system and see what that feels like

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i played botw spending like 2% of my playtime in combat (basically fought nothing that could be avoided, which leaves little), so i disagree with this characterization.

e: climbed to zeldas study in hyrule castle, not seen much of the inside.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've done a no-fast-travel playthrough of BOTW (and also no horses for the most part because I just dont really like using them) and it was :kiss:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
my botw strategy was repeatedly saying “hmm I don’t think I’ve been over there yet”

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the ds/3ds zelda games are also rpetty fun, would recommend if you havent played them yet

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

haveblue posted:

my botw strategy was repeatedly saying “hmm I don’t think I’ve been over there yet”

That's the feeling I got with Elden Ring. Saw something interesting in the distance and was usually rewarded for my curiosity.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

play link between worlds
that's the super zelda 3 remake right? yeah that'll probably be the first one i play when i get a switch pro someday

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the links awakening remake on switch is also very good

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the ds/3ds zelda games are also rpetty fun, would recommend if you havent played them yet

spirit tracks is pretty bad, and phantom hourglass is middling (although i liked it quite a bit since i like wind waker a lot). link between worlds owns bones though

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

The Fool posted:

the links awakening remake on switch is also very good

this is the game that really made the switch a worthwhile purchase for me

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

that's the super zelda 3 remake right? yeah that'll probably be the first one i play when i get a switch pro someday

not on the switch i fear, i think it might be one to just emulate (3ds so there may be some hardware features, but iirc nothing you'd be that sad to lose out on). it is to me the absolute gold standard of parlaying nostalgia into a new genuinely great gaming experience.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

link between worlds isn't available for switch, is it?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Kenny Logins posted:

it's not a remake, it's a new game set in (essentially) the same world. the story is kinda whatever but the gameplay is really good, it's their first experiment with true nonlinearity in a good 15-20 years

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Truman Peyote posted:

link between worlds isn't available for switch, is it?

nope, 3ds only

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I need to replay wind waker

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
finally got yuzu working so i can play through master mode with the stupid health regen disabled. still cant believe anyone thought that was a good idea, its not hard just tedious and removes all the emergent gameplay from the game.

found a boulder to push into bombs among a group of enemies? dont waste your time cause theyll be at full health by the time you chase the boulder down there. just a profoundly idiotic design decision

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

I need to play wind waker

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Its very good, probably holds up really well cause cel shading is timeless when done well

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also i know this is not going to hit very hard for anyone who didn't play it (because that's video game music, plus it spends like 7 minutes building), but the final theme of the final zelda game to not just use a full orchestra recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSpUx2LrPOw

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

god i love the super dumb pun of lbw's otherworld being called lorule :allears:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

quiggy posted:

god i love the super dumb pun of lbw's otherworld being called lorule :allears:

fixing the mistakes of lttp :cool:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

oh i beat the zelda crypt of the necrodancer clone. that was good.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

zelda is a good series and i'm excited for the legend of zelda: tears of the kingdom

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

quiggy posted:

that's only really true if you're an insane person who tries to get all the korok seeds. id imagine the average playthrough is 60-100 hours depending on how much you stop to gently caress around

this makes me feel better, i did something like 80 hours, beat ganon, and then bought the dlc. and then when the dlc landed, i never picked it up because i felt like i'd done enough botw. i tried hopping back in a couple years later, ran around a bit, and was done - it didn't seem like there was much more to do that wasn't essentially the same as what i'd already done. one could gently caress around endlessly, and i still had shrines left and all that but....ehh, i'd seen all (or at least most of) the cool stuff

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

quiggy posted:

i kinda wanna do a playthrough without climbing where i focus on the melee combat system and see what that feels like

this sounds awful

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the dlc felt quite unnecessary, it added light content to a game that already had enough "proper" content and a possibly excessive a amount of similar completionist light content (shrines, seeds, links house, tarrey town, etc.)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Achmed Jones posted:

this sounds awful

i mean i've already done a no fast travel playthrough, i just like that game a lot

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

https://twitter.com/AamonHawk/status/1646570689220993025

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Achmed Jones posted:

this makes me feel better, i did something like 80 hours, beat ganon, and then bought the dlc. and then when the dlc landed, i never picked it up because i felt like i'd done enough botw. i tried hopping back in a couple years later, ran around a bit, and was done - it didn't seem like there was much more to do that wasn't essentially the same as what i'd already done. one could gently caress around endlessly, and i still had shrines left and all that but....ehh, i'd seen all (or at least most of) the cool stuff

that’s the problem with games that focus on discovery

you can’t ever replay outer wilds either

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

sometimes he's a pig wizard, and sometimes he's a thicc dad

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Ganon's loving jacked

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

fixing the mistakes of lttp :cool:
lopertext transfer protocol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

quiggy posted:

i mean i've already done a no fast travel playthrough, i just like that game a lot

hey you do you. i dont really get the idea of playing the same game over and over when there's other games to play. but this is because i'm time-limited much more than i am money-limited. not that im rich, but the cost-to-time-spent ratio on games is insane. when i had lots of time and no money of course it went the other way, and i played a lot of shmups (except when i was a kid, but then i was a kid so...)

haveblue posted:

that’s the problem with games that focus on discovery

ngl i much prefer it this way than the treadmill way. i get that other people disagree though