Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
RE8 aggravated me for the same reason. unless you point-blank them with a 12-gauge or something, nothing ever flinches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I played RE8 on normal mode and I think that was the biggest contributor for me not getting much out of it. The enemies were totally pathetic and the game was extremely afraid of letting me run out of ammo, so it didn't feel like there was any resistance. It was still fun, but it felt like it should have been so much more.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I assumed Krauser and Leon had gone on missions together, Leon got pulled for his special mission training away from the unit, they went on the mission that went bad sans Leon, Krauser thinks it would have gone differently if Leon had been there maybe. More thought than the plot of RE4 deserves perhaps though.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Do people prefer RE8 in 3rd or 1st person?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Finished my second remake run. I was very frustrated by Saddler yesterday but I beat him on my first try today, I basically just needed to remember to be more mobile instead of sticking right up on him. There's a lot of map to work with, and more health items to grab if you move around it.

My next plan was to play around with the infinite launcher for as long of a run as I read having fun with. I played up through the first merchant and I'm about 500,000 pitas short if I sell everything off. I guess I can just barrel through for a while with my multirun arsenal until I get enough treasures to buy it :clint:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

poe meater posted:

Do people prefer RE8 in 3rd or 1st person?

I honestly don't feel first person adds much to any RE game that has it. I know it's primarily for VR but if you're not playing in VR it just ends up feeling awkward, like when you watch a movie designed for old fashioned 3D on a regular screen.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Re8 is just "fine" in third person. It isn't mind blowing and there are definitely some areas where the scale just feels off because it wasn't designed to be viewed that way

Honestly if you liked re4r pick up re2r instead of village

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

RE8 aggravated me for the same reason. unless you point-blank them with a 12-gauge or something, nothing ever flinches

That was a huge bummer for me in 4R too. 4R felt more balanced for the way it actually worked, but by the end of the game I was still dying by letting enemies get too close (or charging them like a dumbass) because I was anticipating a face or leg shot giving me a guaranteed melee attack.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

That was a huge bummer for me in 4R too. 4R felt more balanced for the way it actually worked, but by the end of the game I was still dying by letting enemies get too close (or charging them like a dumbass) because I was anticipating a face or leg shot giving me a guaranteed melee attack.

this was mainly an issue for me on new games, with pistols. i very much appreciate even modestly leveled shotguns and magnums having damage feedback ranging from "knocks the enemy flat on their back" to "the enemy's top and bottom halves decided to take a break from each other"

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah even on Professional it's only really early game pistols that struggle with enemies. Once you're up and running even on Pro you can rip enemies to shreds with most guns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's something that actually existed in the original RE4 as well. Technically head shots/knee shots were never an assured stun. Instead they just had a multiplier to an invisible stun meter and depending on what your current in-game 'rank' was (the adaptive difficulty) that rank could exceed the damage output of a weapon.

It just didn't come up super often because your weapons were scaling more than high enough to exceed it, but you could notice it in the Castle or whatnot if you were doing well and seemingly perfect knee-shots didn't stun. It stands out a lot more on a no-upgrade Professional run but not a lot of people were doing that.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

thebardyspoon posted:

I assumed Krauser and Leon had gone on missions together, Leon got pulled for his special mission training away from the unit, they went on the mission that went bad sans Leon, Krauser thinks it would have gone differently if Leon had been there maybe. More thought than the plot of RE4 deserves perhaps though.

You play through the operation in Darkside Chronicles and Leon is there - the basic gist is Krauser is jealous that Leon got hand-selected for the mission by the President, feels overlooked, and wants to prove he's just as good / better, then gets his arm hosed up in the process and has to get saved by Leon (making him even more pissed off). The injury forces him out of the military and he basically spirals into a JRPG villain who wants power at all costs and revenge on Leon and so he goes to Wesker and eventually doses himself with the parasite.

In that version Leon and Krauser get picked up in a helicopter (along with their local contact, iirc?), whereas in this remake the narrative seems to be that a whole squad led by Krauser got sent on a mission to wipe out cartels (on paper, anyway) and then some government power struggle led to them getting abandoned when they were trying to exfiltrate and wiped out except for Krauser, who was declared dead but managed to survive. This would seem to imply that Leon wasn't there, and Leon's other lines about it seem like he's acknowledging that it was hosed up without ever mentioning anything about him being involved. But Krauser does have that "remember the jungle?" line, so who knows? It also seems like in this version the jealousy stems from Leon getting all the high-speed operator assignments after Krauser mentored him in his unit, rather than the original version where he was basically just a hotshot government operative already by the time he met Krauser.

There's also a bit in the remake about a journalist investigating the story who gets killed (by Krauser?) to keep it under wraps. The reality is they probably didn't think super hard about any of this stuff or care about how the story meshes up with a basically forgotten spin-off game almost nobody played.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
At the Water Room for my Hardcore S+ and I had to take a break. Did the first part of phase 1 but keep having to reload the autosave because I'm down to one green herb and half life and keep getting JFK'd by the crossbow snipers. I'm using the Sweeper and Hand Cannon, man I just can't imagine even trying to do this on Professional with no bonus weapons. Thank you mercenaries.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'd almost bet that if we were to get another dlc outside of Separate Ways it'd be about Operation Javier but starring Krauser solo.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i would actually know how different Pro is from Hardcore wrt to like, damage values

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Momomo posted:

I played RE8 on normal mode and I think that was the biggest contributor for me not getting much out of it. The enemies were totally pathetic and the game was extremely afraid of letting me run out of ammo, so it didn't feel like there was any resistance. It was still fun, but it felt like it should have been so much more.

I had the complete opposite experience. I had a couple of moments where I was running on fumes ammo-wise, and nothing felt particularly unthreatening aside from the hag lady type enemies that were clearly not intended to be that threatening.

Really glad I didn't play on hard. Folks have different experiences with games. :shrug:

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Platinum done.

Pro isn't terrible after you get the ticket for the sweeper

Keithium
Jan 7, 2013
i like how krauser's new backstory is just the movie clear and present danger now

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Working my way to Plat and noticed that the handcannon unlock was just to complete a pro run, not to S+ it, with no bonus weapons. Hallelujah I never have to go for S+ again.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Omi no Kami posted:

I just wrapped up RE4Make, and having never gotten past the castle in the original I've got two random bits of curiosity:

What's the deal with the water hall's reputation? I've heard people talk about it like it's the TMNT water level on the NES or something, everyone I know who played 2005 as a kid have the same horrible PTSD over that area. I needed 2-3 attempts to clear it, but the remake version felt busy, not unfair. Is it just because of the enemy spam and having to alternate between shooting the dudes gnawing on your shins, and shooting the dudes gnawing on Ashley? I dunno- it is absolutely tough, but it's weird that for the last 15 years I've heard my friends all going "Man, gently caress the water hall" and not "Man, gently caress the double garrador room"?

I know the island sucked in the original, but what was the issue? Was it just the density of tanky, gun-toting assholes around every corner?

For the record, all of original RE4 ruled. I enjoyed replaying that on steam in recent years too, the island does not suck. Masterpiece I say.

On that part, can't say I didn't enjoy it.

Keithium posted:

i like how krauser's new backstory is just the movie clear and present danger now

I've gotta see that, Harrison Ford rules.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I am once again asking for Leon's rampage power in the main game

And more levels for Mercenaries. They should be able to add in some of the environments from the 2 crummy multiplayer games they made that would work good for Mercs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

i would actually know how different Pro is from Hardcore wrt to like, damage values

In the original RE4 the big thing Professional did is basically lock the game to the highest 'score' as far as the dynamic difficulty goes and prevented it from being able to go down no matter how often you died. I wouldn't be surprised in Remake does the same basic thing.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Never seen a good video from that guy sorry

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Catching up on speedruns and :lol: this sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08A_zcEQPLc&t=6949s

should be timestamped

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

In the original RE4 the big thing Professional did is basically lock the game to the highest 'score' as far as the dynamic difficulty goes and prevented it from being able to go down no matter how often you died. I wouldn't be surprised in Remake does the same basic thing.

according to this, there's a weapon damage multiplier for rank, but it probably also has a lot of other effects. apparently goes from 1 to 11, broken down like:

Assisted 1-6
Standard 3-9
Hardcore 7-11
Professional 10-11

when you're at rank 1 you deal 3x more damage to enemies than you do at rank 11.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Medullah posted:

At the Water Room for my Hardcore S+ and I had to take a break. Did the first part of phase 1 but keep having to reload the autosave because I'm down to one green herb and half life and keep getting JFK'd by the crossbow snipers. I'm using the Sweeper and Hand Cannon, man I just can't imagine even trying to do this on Professional with no bonus weapons. Thank you mercenaries.

I’m gonna say, use the hunk mask and a scoped rifle to delete crossbow guys on pro or hardcore. When you zoom in on them it magnets to their heads.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

You play through the operation in Darkside Chronicles and Leon is there - the basic gist is Krauser is jealous that Leon got hand-selected for the mission by the President, feels overlooked, and wants to prove he's just as good / better, then gets his arm hosed up in the process and has to get saved by Leon (making him even more pissed off). The injury forces him out of the military and he basically spirals into a JRPG villain who wants power at all costs and revenge on Leon and so he goes to Wesker and eventually doses himself with the parasite.

In that version Leon and Krauser get picked up in a helicopter (along with their local contact, iirc?), whereas in this remake the narrative seems to be that a whole squad led by Krauser got sent on a mission to wipe out cartels (on paper, anyway) and then some government power struggle led to them getting abandoned when they were trying to exfiltrate and wiped out except for Krauser, who was declared dead but managed to survive. This would seem to imply that Leon wasn't there, and Leon's other lines about it seem like he's acknowledging that it was hosed up without ever mentioning anything about him being involved. But Krauser does have that "remember the jungle?" line, so who knows? It also seems like in this version the jealousy stems from Leon getting all the high-speed operator assignments after Krauser mentored him in his unit, rather than the original version where he was basically just a hotshot government operative already by the time he met Krauser.

There's also a bit in the remake about a journalist investigating the story who gets killed (by Krauser?) to keep it under wraps. The reality is they probably didn't think super hard about any of this stuff or care about how the story meshes up with a basically forgotten spin-off game almost nobody played.
I feel like it can be reconciled with Leon being given a solo mission within the same operation, where Leon is only able to join up with Krauser again after the rest of unit has been wiped out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thundercracker posted:

You can totally bone yourself if you didn't take a rifle too. Something I did once. It's still doable with a pistol but definitely meant for a rifle.

Yeah, I watched a friend play and didn't want to backseat I couldn't yell at him to buy the rifle with free scope first chance he got. He gamely pulled through with the pistol but it was an unnecessary extra step.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Mr E posted:

I think the waves are less wild on lower FPS settings so maybe try turning down to 60 or 30 if you're above that.

Was on 60, tried 30, didn't help. Ugh why must my body be this way.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's something that actually existed in the original RE4 as well. Technically head shots/knee shots were never an assured stun. Instead they just had a multiplier to an invisible stun meter and depending on what your current in-game 'rank' was (the adaptive difficulty) that rank could exceed the damage output of a weapon.

It just didn't come up super often because your weapons were scaling more than high enough to exceed it, but you could notice it in the Castle or whatnot if you were doing well and seemingly perfect knee-shots didn't stun. It stands out a lot more on a no-upgrade Professional run but not a lot of people were doing that.

I'm doing a no upgrade pro run in the original and even in that scenario the ganados react a lot more to getting head shot or knee capped than on the remake, the remake's design seems intentional in making a stun way harder to get, which, honestly, fair enough but it makes for a different experience

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

Wondering if it's realistic for me to start playthrough 2 on professional with infinite ammo hand cannon. It's unlocked and I would just have to hold on until chapter 2 where I can sell all my stuff for the infinite ammo upgrade, right?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

eravulgaris posted:

Wondering if it's realistic for me to start playthrough 2 on professional with infinite ammo hand cannon. It's unlocked and I would just have to hold on until chapter 2 where I can sell all my stuff for the infinite ammo upgrade, right?

are you trying to get the sweeper? because that's the only weapon you can unlock in pro on NG+

if that's the case then a maxed handcannon should carry you through most of it, but you're going to need around half a mil

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I’m gonna say, use the hunk mask and a scoped rifle to delete crossbow guys on pro or hardcore. When you zoom in on them it magnets to their heads.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm trying to do but still getting lit up by others. Maybe I just need to try and speedrun it like in the video posted above and just run past poo poo rather than trying to nuke it all.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Update: he's put the title and description back and pinned a comment linking to a video that "proves" he didn't futz with the audio. What a guy.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I didn't really have much trouble with the Water Room on Standard. On Hardcore the game will start cheating, the ganados do their weird speed burst thing (the one they usually reserve for getting behind you when they're off camera) to grab Ashley and the guys on your level will exclusively go to their grab move just to make you waste time while Ashley loses ground

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

Update: he's put the title and description back and pinned a comment linking to a video that "proves" he didn't futz with the audio. What a guy.

Well! I'm glad after investigating himself he's found no evidence of wrongdoing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I started RE8 last night and the pistol/shotgun definitely don't feel like they have anywhere near the same amount of oompfh as the RE4 Remake weapons and I think it's really just down to audio/visual feedback both not being the same; like the pistol sounds weak as well as there not being much of a reaction from the enemies when you do hit them.

Edit: What has just the right amount of oompfh however is the fuckin nasty rear end hand poo poo going on here god drat

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 16, 2023

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like it can be reconciled with Leon being given a solo mission within the same operation, where Leon is only able to join up with Krauser again after the rest of unit has been wiped out.

That's probably the best answer, since it still allows them to keep the hilarious ending to Darkside Chronicles where Krauser sees the villain transform into a big monster with glowing weakpoints while bleeding profusely and screaming in agony and get defeated in less than two minutes by two guys with handguns, but Krauser's internal monologue is "That must be true power. I want to also do that!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

you have to be some kind of stupid to take aim at RE4R's sound design. it didn't have all the sounds i wanted, but the ones it did have were top-notch

the broken butterfly sounds like a thunderhead took shape inside your ear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DeathChicken posted:

I didn't really have much trouble with the Water Room on Standard. On Hardcore the game will start cheating, the ganados do their weird speed burst thing (the one they usually reserve for getting behind you when they're off camera) to grab Ashley and the guys on your level will exclusively go to their grab move just to make you waste time while Ashley loses ground

They don't run at Ashley on Standard? Wow, that would've been so much easier. As soon as I looked away from her to deal with the guys coming at me she'd be grabbed by folks who weren't even out the door a few seconds ago.