Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Yeah when it gets to something big like the war, they can justify lying by saying they're doing it to save face for their clan members or caste members, and they just happen to save face for themselves in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Polaron posted:

We're explicitly told that Minbari do not lie :v:

By the minbari.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

By the minbari.

Nah, they go through enough contortions about it to believe that they genuinely do not outright tell falsehoods except where the truth would be more shameful. It must be fun being a divorce lawyer on Minbar.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was that whole planetwide divorce where all the castes were fighting against eachother after the dissolution of the Grey Council.

And it turns out that "Mimbari do not kill mimbari" was one of those creative half-truths.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SlothfulCobra posted:

There was that whole planetwide divorce where all the castes were fighting against eachother after the dissolution of the Grey Council.

And it turns out that "Mimbari do not kill mimbari" was one of those creative half-truths.

The Gathering aired 30 years ago and people still don't know that it's Minbari.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Speaking about Minbari lies. In season 1 episode "Grail" Delenn says that there is just 2 castes of Minbari.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MikusR posted:

Speaking about Minbari lies. In season 1 episode "Grail" Delenn says that there is just 2 castes of Minbari.

That's just common or garden classism. Remember how outraged some Minbari were when Delenn reorganised the Grey Council to give the Workers an absolute majority, despite the Worker caste making up at least two thirds of the population? The worker caste weren't even considered equal members of society until Valen elevated them, and after he died a lot of the rights he'd given them were taken away again.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Timby posted:

It's basically the sane letter.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Timby posted:

I'm not sure which is my favorite of the two bloopers from B5 itself:

1. Earth Political Officer Julie Musante, making small talk before attempting to liaise with John Sheridan: "You have some very impressive objects here, Captain. Uh, A Earthforce Silver Star for Valor in the Minibar War..." (S3, obviously)

2. Commander Susan Ivanova: "Everyone always said it was impossible to take out a Wimbari Morecruiser..." (S2)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Narsham posted:

I'm not sure which is my favorite of the two bloopers from B5 itself:

1. Earth Political Officer Julie Musante, making small talk before attempting to liaise with John Sheridan: "You have some very impressive objects here, Captain. Uh, A Earthforce Silver Star for Valor in the Minibar War..." (S3, obviously)

2. Commander Susan Ivanova: "Everyone always said it was impossible to take out a Wimbari Morecruiser..." (S2)

I could see people using the first one ironically in universe, like how some of the vets I work with call Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom "Rock the Casbah".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Call the manager, he's checking out of his room with water bottles open!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1648723128816680960

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trying not to hold my breath for a proper full remaster. It's on time for a 30th anniversary edition Blu ray though....

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Tubi TV kinda buried the lede with this one. The description was something about Gkar rallying people to his cause, which is one of the plot points here. But really this seems to be about Delenn, her motives and her fitness for taking on this coming war between Good and Evil. It's something akin to the intensive testing/torture that Winston Smith endured at the end of Nineteen Eighty-Four, except apparently for good rather than control by an authoritarian state.

Holy cow the vorlon heel turn/reveal is gonna be a big ole thing for this viewer.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Winifred Madgers posted:

Trying not to hold my breath for a proper full remaster. It's on time for a 30th anniversary edition Blu ray though....

Crusade OST remaster.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

ozmunkeh posted:

Crusade OST remaster.

Is Christopher Franke still alive to hire so we can throw out the original and re-score it from scratch?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The "something wonderful" quote is from 2010, the sequel to 2001, but hey, who's counting, right?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Winifred Madgers posted:

Is Christopher Franke still alive to hire so we can throw out the original and re-score it from scratch?

He is, but he retired after scoring The Lost Tales in 2007.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'd settle for Bear McCreary or Michael Giacchino doing their best Franke ripoffs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Just heard that B5 writer and author Peter David is having serious medical issues - a series of small strokes followed by a heart attack. There's a Gofundme up that has raised over $130k. Link on JMS's twitter.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Has JMS, or anyone, ever commented or speculated on both the Dilgar sun and our sun going supernova randomly? I know JMS has implied that our sun going supernova was deliberately caused by some outside force. It just seems weird that the Dilgar sun also seemed to randomly go supernova and wiped them all out except for Jha’dur.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I don't think he has. The Dilgar sun going boom does seem like something the Vorlons might have done, but there's no evidence beyond them killing Deathwalker. I did get the impression that humanity blew up our own sun to clear things up as we move to the Vorlon homeworld to pick up their mantle as an Elder species.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Winifred Madgers posted:

i think he's hinted at it being an audio drama or something like that

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

It's gonna be B5 NFTs

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
it'll be some crypto poo poo called BesterBux

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
PsiCoin

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Horizon Burning posted:

Ehhhhhhh...... Way to burst my bubble.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Horizon Burning posted:

I thought the audio drama was going to be his big announcement at Comic Con and has been explicitly vetoed until then?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Corps is banker, the Corps is exchanger

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
The answer is ... a new logo.
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1651262362341498880

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

jms... thank you.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I hope it's not NFTs.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I liked the blue font better

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Dibs on the boxer giving a thumbs up in front of a neon Zima sign NFT.

I saw that Bruce Boxleitner posted a pic of himself with JMS last night. Maybe it won't be crypto.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
It’s an interesting question given rights restrictions. Either WB is cutting a licensing deal as with the comics and novels, and we’re getting something like audio dramas, or they’re doing something not requiring rights like doing commentary tracks for every episode.

I’m not sure how you do audio dramas given the remaining cast. You’d be working with: Sheridan, Talia/Lyta, and Ivanova for humanity (plus Marcus if it’s set during the series), Londo for the Centauri, Lennier for the Minbari. Na’toth or Ta’lon for the Narn. If you’re doing ISA-era you could use Lochley and Number One. I guess you could tell stories involving only one or two main cast members?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Narsham posted:

It’s an interesting question given rights restrictions. Either WB is cutting a licensing deal as with the comics and novels, and we’re getting something like audio dramas, or they’re doing something not requiring rights like doing commentary tracks for every episode.

I’m not sure how you do audio dramas given the remaining cast. You’d be working with: Sheridan, Talia/Lyta, and Ivanova for humanity (plus Marcus if it’s set during the series), Londo for the Centauri, Lennier for the Minbari. Na’toth or Ta’lon for the Narn. If you’re doing ISA-era you could use Lochley and Number One. I guess you could tell stories involving only one or two main cast members?

Pretty sure i'll have absolutely no interest in audio dramas.

I could do with some more B5 books for my collection though. :pray:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Welp, my guess is the long overdue Blu-ray series box set.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Call me a fool but I think this is the announcement of the reimagining. Cause not only is the image a reimagining of the original but he mentioned "it can't be for the reimagining"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CainFortea posted:

Call me a fool but I think this is the announcement of the reimagining. Cause not only is the image a reimagining of the original but he mentioned "it can't be for the reimagining"

I swear he said before this is not connected to the reboot at all. I'd like to be wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I swear he said before this is not connected to the reboot at all. I'd like to be wrong though.

He says it in that very tweet. But it seems to me to be very "wink wink nudge nudge" kinda thing.