Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Smythe posted:

the chain thing for the light fell out of my ceiling fan so i simply unscrew the bulbs. back 2 basics my friends....

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
There are at least three lights in my house that i turn on/off by just partially unscrewing the bulb, because the switch arrangement is stupid and my ceilings are kinda low

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

There are at least three lights in my house that i turn on/off by just partially unscrewing the bulb, because the switch arrangement is stupid and my ceilings are kinda low

i did this for the longest time for my reading lamp's second bulb. sometimes i just wanted it a little dimmer

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

smythe it must be a lot of effort to go get the stepladder each time you wanna turn on the lights

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Elder Postsman posted:

i 3d printed replacement uhh the things that are at the end of the chain, one that looks like a lightbulb and one that looks like a fan.

they sell a million varieties of these things at big box home improvement stores. I thought the bulb/fan ones were too on-the-nose though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

maybe 10-15 years ago, the button on my desk lap got stuck "on", so i cut the wire & put a clicker on there

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

IUG posted:

they sell a million varieties of these things at big box home improvement stores. I thought the bulb/fan ones were too on-the-nose though.

huh, i've never noticed them. i thought this was my big genious idea

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

IUG posted:

it's good when fumbling in the dark cause you can instantly tell by touch which chain it is

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lmfaooooo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

smythe it must be a lot of effort to go get the stepladder each time you wanna turn on the lights

I have to use a genie lift due to living in a giant mansion with hiuuuuige ceilings due to my enooorrrrrmouuasss wealth and fortune

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

got a new case for my iphone pro 11 today. will probably get a few more years out of this sucker easy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
feel like I’ve broken enough wired headphones and I’m finally ready to go AirPods

but I can’t get over the fear that one of them will fall out and disappear on the street or at the gym

is this realistically an issue or are there little retaining clips and things

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it almost def won't happen with airpods pro. it's not common with regular airpods but is a legitimate worry if you're sweaty, doing high impact stuff, etc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
given the number of random one-off airpods i see in the street, yes, it's an issue

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

haveblue posted:

feel like I’ve broken enough wired headphones and I’m finally ready to go AirPods

but I can’t get over the fear that one of them will fall out and disappear on the street or at the gym

do earpods fall out of your ears? that's a first guess. i don't think you'd have trouble with the pros or maxes, only potentially the airpods mids

infernal machines posted:

given the number of random one-off airpods i see in the street, yes, it's an issue

i totally believe you just like, how does one not realize the headphone is now gone?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

just because you know you lost something doesn't mean you can find it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mediaphage posted:

i totally believe you just like, how does one not realize the headphone is now gone?

downtown city streets are busy, even if you notice it falling out, you might not be able to go back and look for it for a while

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

haveblue posted:

i was skeptical about this too but they dont fall out. pretty epic poo poo. vastly better than any wireless headphones before. the weird proprietary bluetooth pairing thing is a gamechanger. not even close to the android ones or whatever they advertise during my freaking ASMR vids

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

just because you know you lost something doesn't mean you can find it

like i completely agree with you, especially when i’m looking for my wallet

but an airpod is pretty visible in a city sidewalk i’d wager if mr machines is finding them on the regular

infernal machines posted:

downtown city streets are busy, even if you notice it falling out, you might not be able to go back and look for it for a while

i dunno. i’m just sort of mystified by this. don’t get me wrong i lose or forget things all the time but headphones just feel extremely noticeable to me

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

haveblue posted:

if you don't trust airpods (I wouldn't based on their wired earbuds constantly falling out of my ear) but you want to stay in the ecosystem the true wireless beats earbuds have almost the same tech as airpods and they have different varieties of clips for your ears

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

if you don't trust airpods (I wouldn't based on their wired earbuds constantly falling out of my ear) but you want to stay in the ecosystem the true wireless beats earbuds have almost the same tech as airpods and they have different varieties of clips for your ears

my wife has beats flex headphones which have a w1 chip so pair nicely like airpods. she wears them gardening and wanted cheapish ones that it wouldn’t matter too much if she lost/destroyed

they do have a wire at the back connecting the two buds but i think they are pretty good and they are cheap as heck compared to airpods

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
New job just called and asked if I'm okay with them giving me a 14" M1 MBP as my work computer.

A couple of posts ago I expressed my love and devotion for my 2012 15" MBP. I understand now that for my hubris, God has seen fit to tempt me with a more capable machine.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

they’re good machines. so good I’m tempted to upgrade from an M1 Pro to m2 pro or max

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Achmed Jones posted:

it almost def won't happen with airpods pro. it's not common with regular airpods but is a legitimate worry if you're sweaty, doing high impact stuff, etc

depends on your lugholes

i've never had my pros fall out but mrs cob had hers fall out several times despite trying multiple tip sizes until she got comply foam tips

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

also if you drop the case ever those buds go loving flying as soon as it hits the ground, i dropped them once and one was about 1cm away from being crushed under someone's foot

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
i'll tbh those powerbeats pro look really good

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

i'll tbh those powerbeats pro look really good

i picked up a pair of these super cheap at auction. they’re nice but i’d probably be annoyed if i’d paid retail for them. no noise cancellation so you’ll want some foam tips if you want any kind of isolation. the case is also huge in comparison to airpods lol, not really pocketable.

absolutely do not fall off your ears tho.

the beats fit pro are i guess less ‘premium’ in some way they don’t bother defining but they do have active noise cancellation. i’d check those out too.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
airpods dont fall out if you buy the foam Comply tips for them

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the only time i've ever had them fall out is when they get caught on a winter hat pulled over them

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i used to use powersbeats pros, they essentially
cannot fall out by design. good battery life on both buds and case, both buds and case quick to charge too. downsides: no noise cancelling, battery life fell off a cliff after about 2 years of regular use, and case is not pants pocketable (but fine in a jacket or bag)

i use airpods pros now and they're good but they can fall out once in a while particularly if you get sweaty or you're like bending over and working on something a lot. finding the case is a lot easier. most of the time they stay put. i'm pretty happy with them on the balance

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

my airpods mark 2 don’t fall out of my ears. they’re convenient as hell (with wired headphones out and about id always rip em out of my ears by my own clumsiness) but I can’t use them for work unfortunately as bouncing b/w different audio sources always makes em drop connection for me

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

the only time i've ever had them fall out is when they get caught on a winter hat pulled over them

same. my airpods amateur only tend to have issues when im like pulling off a sweater or messing with a hat

i guess im lucky that they fit pretty comfortably in my ears.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

they also sell little silicone tips with hooks you can buy and put on your air pods if you’re really worried about it. I used them for my gen 1 AirPods while working out because they never stayed in.

https://www.amazon.com/AhaStyle-Anti-Slip-Accessories%E3%80%90Not-Charging-Compatible/dp/B0837G66Q5/

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
in fairness, airpods pros 2 are great, it might just be my ear canals are just between medium and large (but medium falls out somewhat more)

i'm not super concerned about it as if i did drop one it's unlikely i'd lose it completely and i do have applecare+ for breakage

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
we have pros 2, to be clear

for many people the default tips will be good, for others get the comply foam tips as recommended

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
last night i went to a loud hardcore show in a 200 square foot garage space that had big rear end jbl stacks and my watch was basically continually buzzing 100 dB "you're about to go loving deaf, bro" warnings while i used my pods pro in noise cancel mode as makeshift earplugs. this morning, completely fine. Thanks, timb

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

last night i went to a loud hardcore show in a 200 square foot garage space that had big rear end jbl stacks and my watch was basically continually buzzing 100 dB "you're about to go loving deaf, bro" warnings while i used my pods pro in noise cancel mode as makeshift earplugs. this morning, completely fine. Thanks, timb

buddy got us tix to a local festival show this june that i’m pretty stoked for, dug out the old neutral concert earplugs to make sure i could find them lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OldAlias posted:

my airpods mark 2 don’t fall out of my ears. they’re convenient as hell (with wired headphones out and about id always rip em out of my ears by my own clumsiness) but I can’t use them for work unfortunately as bouncing b/w different audio sources always makes em drop connection for me

oh yeah i'd get wires caught on poo poo way more than airpods

granted, if wired buds get pulled out, they're still attached to the device

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i've never owned air pods but various different brands of in-ear types have never fit properly for me, ever. got weird shaped ear canals i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

polyester concept posted:

i've never owned air pods but various different brands of in-ear types have never fit properly for me, ever. got weird shaped ear canals i guess

yeah the ones with the little gaskets things pop right out. i've tried all different sizes, the regular ones, foam ones, and nothing works. normal old style earpods work well though.