Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There's no harm in holding a stack or two if you expect healing will be necessary somewhere in the next 20s, but if you're at risk of overcapping and/or you have some downtime with no dps to do, fire them off.

Kyrosiris posted:

Against a single target, Misery is effectively DPS neutral, because the GCDs you spend using lilies could be Glares instead, and Misery is the same potency as three Glares.

So, it's more of a "do you need these" question.

E: Also yeah, as Orcs said, you don't want to overcap on lilies.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
No problem. At an optimization level, using 3 lilies + Misery is the same as using 4 Glares (plus some free healing on top). You can make Misery come ahead by blowing extra lilies so that your Miseries line up in buff windows and snag those extra %s, and use extra lilies when enemies are untargetable, because you aren't using up a Glare GCD and will come out ahead.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Four glares, not three, but yes, it's dps neutral (since it's 3 heals casts plus one misery, for four total gcds), with an added bonus of being all instant casts, which means Afflatus heals are a viable dps tool for movement even if no healing is required. It's also a dps gain to burn excess lilies during fight downtime or between trash pulls; just don't burn all your flowers unless you know the fight and won't need them for healing.

Note that while healers should be contributing to dps, their damage optimization isn't really worth stressing about. It's just fun to theorize.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
If you want to optimize then you should basically think of Afflatus Rapture/Solace as instant cast Glares that do some incidental healing and don't require the presence of an enemy target. Their primary function is to let you do damage when moving and when the boss is not targetable (or between packs in a dungeon).

Their healing is a nice side effect and ideally you arrange things so you get some value from that, but as long as you're not capped you should spend lilies when you are moving/don't have a target even if doing so is pure overhealing. If this means you need to use a "non-damaging" GCD heal later you will still come out ahead: a fully overhealing Rapture and casting an effective Medica 2 later will almost always be preferable to doing nothing and casting an effective Rapture later.

If you're doing Savage and really-really optimizing then Misery is frequently worth more than 4 Glares, since you can fit the Misery into the raid buff window. You effectively get the raid buff damage boost for the 3 Solace/Rapture GCDs you spent building up to it for free.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Been really enjoying DRK since I just unlocked the class a week ago or so. I feel comfortable jumping into most roulettes, but have been wary of attempting a Trial or Raid with DRK. What particular things should I know, either specific boss mechanics or tanking in a group with other tanks, before attempting these?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Honestly, not much. There's no hard or fast rule on deciding which of the two is the "main" tank, so it's usually whoever has tank stance on first. If you're not the main tank, leave it off for a little bit so clear the confusion, but turn it on a bit into the fight in case the tank eats it. In alliance raids you'll often get some drama queen that just needs to be MT and provoke off any other tank. Just let them have it and pretend you're a dps again.

Nothing outside of extreme has a tank swap that is in any way relevant, so that's not too important. Just make sure you're around in case the other tank dies and pick up adds if required. If you are doing extremes or higher, it's good to know how and when to tank swap properly, (you provoke to take, they shirk to give you a lead) but swaps are on a fight by fight basis and you just have to know the fight for them.

If you're the main tank, just keep the boss still and cooldown the big hits.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

reversefungi posted:

Been really enjoying DRK since I just unlocked the class a week ago or so. I feel comfortable jumping into most roulettes, but have been wary of attempting a Trial or Raid with DRK. What particular things should I know, either specific boss mechanics or tanking in a group with other tanks, before attempting these?
The generally accepted practice with two tanks is that before starting the fight, whoever turns their stance on first is going to be the main tank for the fight. The offtank generally has very little to do in most fights so they're basically another DPS at that point. In alliance raids with three tanks, I wait to see if one of the other two step up to do it and will defer if someone starts using Provoke. Multiple tanks fighting to be the main tank is annoying for everyone so it's best to avoid that situation when possible.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

In alliance raids you might have a three way split for adds or paths for some encounters so be aware of that

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Regardless of if you are the MT or not, in normal mode and roulettes you probably just want to stand somewhere in front of the boss even as OT. Most of the time you can just stand directly on top of the other tank.

This is good partly because it means that if you out-enmity the MT or they snuff it then the boss wont turn or move. It's also pretty common in newer content for attacks to target all the tanks, or require off-tanks to stack on the MT. Having a tankbuster appear in the middle of the big stack behind the boss because the OT decided that was the place to be is at best annoying and possibly kills random people.

The other general rule you need to remember is that in alliance raids, whenever there are multiple groups of mobs, or adds spawn, etc then the split is A left, B center and C right, looking from arena entrance/behind the boss. This matters for everyone, but is a little extra important for tanks. It's fairly common to have phases where the boss disappears and is replaced by 3 adds that often have to be split up. You can (and often have to) adjust if one of the other tanks uses the popular "hit closest, hope for the best" approach, but being consistent about that makes life easier for everyone.

Tank is usually the easiest role to play in trials and raids by a pretty large margin, even if it is very public in a sense that the other roles are not. You survive most mistakes no problem, aren't an eligible target for several abilities, and have a fairly simple rotation. Just try to keep the boss position as still, central and consistent as possible, and press at least one mitigation whenever the boss is casting an ability that you know, suspect or think might possibly, maybe smell like a tankbuster.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

If you're worried about it, just make a "I'm new, anything I need to know?" chat macro, and usually someone will clue you in to anything in particular you need to watch for. And don't stress too much if you goof up, the whole community is pretty chill about it.

Just learn from your mistakes and don't panic, and you'll be ok.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Thanks everybody, seems rather straightforward! Basically, remember the A/B/C split, if you're not MT pick up adds but otherwise stay up front and DPS, and use mitigation where appropriate? I think the visibility is what makes me nervous but having that big ol sprout icon next to my name helps a lot.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

People are generally pretty tolerant of a screw-up or two as well. Every so often you get a rage lord who will tank their own performance by writing essays and arguing in raid chat instead of playing the game, but they can be safely ignored. My personal perspective is that things going wrong can be kinda funny and break up the monotony of something that is usually half-attention rote farming. A bit of light memeing and laughs and everyone starts back up again and fixes the mistake, no harm no foul.

I generally found the game was pretty good about telegraphing why I died when I was a sprout tank, with a few rare exceptions. For the exceptions, just say you don't know what happened and ask if someone can point it out. As a rule people are more forgiving with people who ask questions.

Also, it doesn't hurt to just watch what the main tank does when you're the off tank and have nothing else to do. Sometimes you even learn what not to do that way, right before getting a battlefield promotion to main tank. :laugh:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Off-tank is the chilliest, safest role in the party. I'm always happy to let the other guy be the hero.

I like to put The Blackest Night shield on the main tank, healer when they get low, people who get a stack marker, or that DPS who keeps almost dieing. If I put it on myself asap it doesn't always get used up.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
The main things your party will care about when you're tanking are keeping the boss STRAIGHT, keeping them STILL and keeping them FACING AWAY FROM THE PARTY. Unless you're doing Extreme/Savage content where the boss needs to be in the middle at all times nobody cares about where the boss is. You just need to keep the boss straight so DPS don't have to adjust their positionals (few things bother me, and I mean bother here not anger, in this game quite like a crooked boss, triggers my OCD something fierce), you need to keep them still so you don't pull them out of melee range mid-attack, and you of course need to face them away from the party so your melee DPS can clap them cheeks and cleaves don't kill your party members. As long as you master these three aspects of boss positioning, you're golden for like 95% of content in this game.

If the boss is big, though, you might want to STAND INSIDE THE BOSS'S HITBOX instead of at the edge so you're in AoE healing range.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
In addition to what everyone else has said, one additional thing you will have to keep an eye out as an OT are mechanics that target other players like DPS and healers: there aren't a lot of raids that have those mechanics, but for those that do you'll want to intercept whatever tether or projectile targeted on a group member with your face.
Though in the raids I can think of this is a mechanic, that's stuff that can also be handled by healers and other DPS, but it's still a good thing to practice.

Also, and this is important, there are three type of tankbuster symbols: the regular one that's a red spiral that is usually targeted on the MT (and can have an additional circle underneath that indicates an AoE effect on top), stack tankbusters which have the usual stack marker but red and only tanks can stack in it without dying; and finally the line/cone tankbuster which is usually marked as spinning hazard lines around the target and in Alliance Raids will almost always target all three tanks at once, and you need to make sure it's not aimed toward the other tanks or any other party member since they can and will kill any non-tank on their path.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Heran Bago posted:

Off-tank is the chilliest, safest role in the party. I'm always happy to let the other guy be the hero.

I like to put The Blackest Night shield on the main tank, healer when they get low, people who get a stack marker, or that DPS who keeps almost dieing. If I put it on myself asap it doesn't always get used up.

I'll toss Aurora on the main tank, sometimes when I'm main/solo tanking I'll throw it on someone who missed a mechanic if I and the healer are doing well enough I don't need it. :3:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

This bitch is back with another infographic, this time for players struggling to pick a good first job (or 'main'). I was deliberately extremely brief and glib with the descriptions, so as to not overload the target audience with too much info. They can always ask for a more detailed explanation if they need one.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

girl dick energy posted:

This bitch is back with another infographic, this time for players struggling to pick a good first job (or 'main'). I was deliberately extremely brief and glib with the descriptions, so as to not overload the target audience with too much info. They can always ask for a more detailed explanation if they need one.

I was slightly confused by seeing Arcanist with the "can't be first job" background, then realized you were talking about Scholar in that specific box. Once I dropped what I knew about the game and looked with the eyes of a sprout it made sense.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

girl dick energy posted:

Personally I'd add a caveat that you should choose either Gladiator or Pugilist for your first job then swap to your real job at level 15, if only because the Ul'dah intro quests are miles better than Limsa's and especially Gridania's. Gridania's intro section is so genuinely dogshit I can legit see it turning people off the game, and getting that good first impression is imo more important than what class you're using for the first 15 levels.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You should probably mention that you can't start as Rogue and have to switch to it starting at level 10.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Rogue is trivially easy 1-2-3 gameplay until NIN, at which point you're expected to pay the slightest bit of attention by adding ninjutsu once a minute for buff uptime and every other time for damage. It takes awhile before you're really responsible for ogcds, buff windows and any synergy in your skills.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

GilliamYaeger posted:

Personally I'd add a caveat that you should choose either Gladiator or Pugilist for your first job then swap to your real job at level 15, if only because the Ul'dah intro quests are miles better than Limsa's and especially Gridania's. Gridania's intro section is so genuinely dogshit I can legit see it turning people off the game, and getting that good first impression is imo more important than what class you're using for the first 15 levels.
I'll add a little aside note that Uldah has the best regional intro quests and Gridania has the worst, and let people decide for themselves if that matters to them. Limsa's is pretty forgettable, but it does have the first appearance of Y'shtola, who's kind of used as the game's mascot character, so that's probably worth mentioning.

WrightOfWay posted:

You should probably mention that you can't start as Rogue and have to switch to it starting at level 10.
Rogue and Scholar have a barred/slanted background to make that clear visually, but I can make it more obvious. Thick white bars instead of thin gray ones.

Doomykins posted:

Rogue is trivially easy 1-2-3 gameplay until NIN, at which point you're expected to pay the slightest bit of attention by adding ninjutsu once a minute for buff uptime and every other time for damage. It takes awhile before you're really responsible for ogcds, buff windows and any synergy in your skills.
I could give it 2.5 stars to show that it's harder than Pugilist but easier than Thaumaturge? If I do, I'll give Scholar 1.5 stars, too. It's not hard, but there's a bit of a curve switching over from ACN/SMN as you learn what your new powers do.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'd just add that complexity varies HEAVILY with personal taste. Don't take it as a "for experts only" scale, more "if this feels like why a job isn't clicking, here's places you can look." They all start out over-basic and add in more things. Sometimes the way those other things fit in is just more apparent.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

New version, with the suggested tweaks.

Bruceski posted:

I'd just add that complexity varies HEAVILY with personal taste. Don't take it as a "for experts only" scale, more "if this feels like why a job isn't clicking, here's places you can look." They all start out over-basic and add in more things. Sometimes the way those other things fit in is just more apparent.
Including this one! This is why I added the bold/italic bit at the end just above the TL;DR.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 20, 2023

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Honestly imo Pugalist/Monk is harder than Rouge/Ninja but I’m also a crazy person who loves Black Mage.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

a lot of the pain points about low level blm got sanded down over time but it's still the job that demands the most out of you. you'll have to get used to seeing your ice/fire drop in the middle of dungeon pulls a lot.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

new graphic is visually easier to read re: ROG/SCH but does not include a cute moogle or carbuncle anywhere, 0/10

(it's great)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Speaking of I could probably stand to make some updates to the OP just to make it fresher and cooler. Graphics like those are a good idea for sure.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

:3:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I was in Thavnair this evening and I saw Daivadipa spawn on his little platform, but no one seemed to realize he was there, not even the people who'd done the leadup FATEs and made him pop. What's the usual way to deal with boss FATEs like that? I shouted about it in Thavnair and then went to Radz-at-Han and shouted there, but no one bothered to come out, so maybe I should have told someone else?

Is he just not popular any more? :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Picayune posted:

I was in Thavnair this evening and I saw Daivadipa spawn on his little platform, but no one seemed to realize he was there, not even the people who'd done the leadup FATEs and made him pop. What's the usual way to deal with boss FATEs like that? I shouted about it in Thavnair and then went to Radz-at-Han and shouted there, but no one bothered to come out, so maybe I should have told someone else?

Is he just not popular any more? :v:

A lot of those overlap with the hunt linkshells or community. Getting it in their ear seems to typically work.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

A lot of those overlap with the hunt linkshells or community. Getting it in their ear seems to typically work.

Anyone (though it requires an account) can report world boss FATEs on faloop, which will also spread it around the hunt discords and get a ton of people there in short order.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ah ha! Okay. Looks like faloop or the hunt Discords are my best bet, then. Thanks!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just remembered this thread existed after restarting my adventures in Eorzea a few weeks back. I now have all my classes hovering at just around the level 40 mark, I've made my way to Coerthas which has a gorgeous main theme dear god, I've been all over the world to gather bits and pieces for all my crafting, I've discovered what the Itinerant Moogle is for, I've drugged pirates and defended towns and healed the land, I've run into the first dungeons that aren't cakewalks, I've met the houses of Ishgard and the absolute fucker Inquisitor Guillaime who wow just gently caress this guy he's the worst.

It's good to be home :3:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I am still a pretty new player in the scheme of things (max level is 54 right now) and after taking a 5 month hiatus I decided to re-sub. Came across this randomly last night and it made me fall in love with this game a little:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucKeO_QNU2E

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's genuinely great how much the midi bands add to the sense of community of the game

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

flatluigi posted:

it's genuinely great how much the midi bands add to the sense of community of the game

Totally, I feel like that kind of community interaction is so seldomly seen in games today.

On a side note (this took much longer than expected lol):

My favorite kind of chocobo!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

flatluigi posted:

This was one of the first things I saw when I started playing last year as well, and definitely was part of the "I'm staying" decision--when I started, I was firmly in the no more MMOs camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efl-IvXAoGw
For folks who haven't yet seen the Korean commercial that captures that mood so well.