Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Technowolf posted:

Really hope Tim Russ gets to at least show up on Prodigy. Would hate to have his last appearance in Trek be on loving Picard.

I'm just glad that if it IS the last we ever see of Tuvok, at least it was a dignified appearance and he wasn't shot or blown up or mutilated or debased and defamed in any way like every other non-main cast legacy character so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm just glad that if it IS the last we ever see of Tuvok, at least it was a dignified appearance and he wasn't shot or blown up or mutilated or debased and defamed in any way like every other non-main cast legacy character so far.

Well of course he turned out to be fine, he was a) a Voyager castmember and b) a man.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well of course he turned out to be fine, he was a) a Voyager castmember and b) a man.

Poor poor Icheb.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

socialsecurity posted:

Poor poor Icheb.

I just wish it was filmed better, I don't care about the character. The actor is a piece of poo poo but whatever. The scene didn't match the show, and even if it did it was poorly done.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Don't you need like an account or whatever to leave a star review? IMDb blows, I click around it to go to Wikipedia if I'm trying to look up movie info

I've lost count how many times I have given up on IMDB or other such sites (F1.com for race results/driver stats, for example) and found what I was looking for in a fraction of the time and in a much easier to understand presentation on Wikipedia. It's almost enough to toss in $3 when they beg for it. But, nah.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think the only redeeming thing of Icheb’s murder in Picard is that Memory Alpha’s extremely strict policies on character representation means that the image at the top of his character page will forever be his corpse, as it is his most recent on-screen portrayal, which is extremely funny to me as an absurd consequence of wiki editorial culture. I cannot imagine anyone involved being happy with this outcome, but there are Rules, they were strictly followed, and this is the result.

I really hope Lower Decks or Prodigy gives him a cameo so that he can join Paris and Janeway as canonically being cartoon characters.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

blastron posted:

there are Rules, they were strictly followed, and this is the result.

That's hilarious.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

nine-gear crow posted:

Both Discovery and Picard have consistently had decent IMDB ratings all throughout their runs so, that's hardly surprising.

Man discovery absolutely hasn't
It pretty much tracks with what the thread says with the exception of one or two episodes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Super Deuce posted:

I just wish it was filmed better, I don't care about the character. The actor is a piece of poo poo but whatever. The scene didn't match the show, and even if it did it was poorly done.
That whole episode may be the worse of the series

It had-
-Gratuitous eye removal
-A villain named ‘Vajazzle’
-Picard doing a really terrible accent
-Seven just murdering everyone at the end and Picard knowing that would happen and not stopping her

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Alternate-future Kirk should've had a big scar on his face to really drive the point home

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

(Finale aired like 6 months ago, so not gonna spoiler tag... except for this I guess)

Gwyn reaching out to the galaxy with all the languages she'd been forced to learn by the Diviner as a means of sowing discord, but now she's using it to build bridges and stand for something bigger than herself... Dal stepping up and being a hell of a captain when it came down to it... the girl in the Dauntless' brig who remembered Janeway helping her people when she was a kid... Holo-Janeway "Go fast..."

Like, I'm not saying it's easy to thread all those beats into an hour of TV, and foreshadow most of them throughout 10 other hours, but... like, surely it's not impossible if this team could make it look that easy

Just about everything on that show is well crafted to hit the main points of Star Trek as a series, while also dealing with new plots and themes. It'd be great to see other series from that team whenever Prodigy ends.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

blastron posted:

I think the only redeeming thing of Icheb’s murder in Picard is that Memory Alpha’s extremely strict policies on character representation means that the image at the top of his character page will forever be his corpse, as it is his most recent on-screen portrayal, which is extremely funny to me as an absurd consequence of wiki editorial culture. I cannot imagine anyone involved being happy with this outcome, but there are Rules, they were strictly followed, and this is the result.

I really hope Lower Decks or Prodigy gives him a cameo so that he can join Paris and Janeway as canonically being cartoon characters.

I'm laughing like a hyena oh my god. I guess this is the logical result if a character's only appearance is to be murdered, but that doesn't seem like that niche of a scenario tbh.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Icheb, or as he preferred to be called, “Itchy.”

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

blastron posted:

So K'Ehelyr was murdered by Duras... so why is her Memory Alpha top image from when she was very much not murdered? https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/K%27Ehleyr

Is it possible that Memory Alpha is... inconsistent??

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
MA is edited by the absolute worst kind of nerds and disgraced SA mods, so I like to imagine there’s huge amounts of furious infighting over this incredibly dumb and inconsequential formatting choice.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
You know, I just realized that the writer's strike means that Matalas's imaginary Star Trek: Legacy is definitely not gonna happen now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Fighting Trousers posted:

You know, I just realized that the writer's strike means that Matalas's imaginary Star Trek: Legacy is definitely not gonna happen now.

Hellworld comedy option: the strike ends up killing his Witch Mountain projects at Disney and CBS hires him back afterward to actually do Legacy since he’s free again

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hellworld comedy option: the strike ends up killing his Witch Mountain projects at Disney and CBS hires him back afterward to actually do Legacy since he’s free again

Let's call that "...the Borg is everywhere!" timeline because I'm sure that's exactly what we would get.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Disney is forcing its showrunners to work through the strike because it's Disney and they are an avatar of all the evils of capitalism right down the frozen DNA of Walt himself, so we're still more than even odds on him never getting away from their clutches to ever start work on #StarTrekLegacy.

I could see Kurtzman deciding to make the show because he "listened to the fans" and then just leave Matalas out in the cold on it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Unless Matalas has already completed the writing portion of his projects there’s no way Disney is getting him to do anything right now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Unless Matalas has already completed the writing portion of his projects there’s no way Disney is getting him to do anything right now.

Folks from Disney's animation side who are now currently between jobs after Disney murdered their various shows over the last three years have been posting screenshots of their showrunner contracts and highlighting the parts of them that Disney has "creatively" and "legally" deemed to not be writing related, but are still 100% actually writing related:

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1654662269710766080

Matalas, presumably, is in a similar ball vice at the moment w/r/t Witch Mountain.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Isn’t animation a different situation since they don’t have a union?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

T.C. posted:

I have no real interest in seeing McCoy in SNW. I don't think there's a way you do a transition to the TOS situation in a way that is actually satisfying. I don't think it sets up an interesting story and would just be about filling gaps for the sake of filling gaps.

I honestly hope they avoid the urge to make the show a story about how we got to TOS. Use the setting, but don't let it run the story. When they eventually wrap the show, maybe have a bunch of known characters transport in as the last scene.

There's already a large ensemble.

It isn't necessary either. It isn't like each season is 1 year of in-character time. All of season 1 could have happened in a few months which means they could have like 15 seasons before worrying about TOS. More seasons then they will ever need.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Isn’t animation a different situation since they don’t have a union?

Yes, different union, but the tweet is replying to a news story that literally says "Disney is making all of its showrunners regardless of department keep working despite the strike".

The Hollywood Reporter posted:

Disney and Warner Bros. Discovery this week sent out a letter to showrunners employed by the companies’ various studios reminding striking writer-producers that they are still expected to perform their contractually obligated non-writing services.

The letter from the legal department of ABC Signature, owned by Disney, reads: “We want specifically to reiterate to you as a showrunner or other writer-producer that you are not excused from performing your duties as a showrunner and/or producer on your series as a result of the WGA strike. Your personal services agreement with [the] Studio requires that you perform your showrunner and/or producing duties even if the WGA attempts to fine you for performing such services during the strike,” wrote Bob McPhail, the assistant chief counsel for the Disney-owned ABC Signature, in the letter sent to showrunners and obtained by The Hollywood Reporter. “Your duties as a showrunner and/or producer are not excused, suspended or terminated until and unless you are so notified in writing by the Studio.”

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The most high profile of these is Tony Gilroy who now appears to be holding to the strike and not doing anything for Andor's second season until the strike's over. Which means that show's either gonna be a lot messier than the first season, or they're gonna need to do a lot of work in post/reshoots once the strike is over. So they're either taking the hit to reputation (Disney ruined a great show by refusing to work with the union) or to their wallet.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, different union, but the tweet is replying to a news story that literally says "Disney is making all of its showrunners regardless of department keep working despite the strike".

The only possible response to Disney Legal saying the writers still have to write posted:

May 10, 2023

Dear Mr. McPhail:

Attached is a letter that we received on May 3, 2023. I feel that you should be aware that some rear end in a top hat is signing your name to stupid letters.

Very truly yours,

WRITERS' GUILD OF AMERICA

General Counsel

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Gaz-L posted:

The most high profile of these is Tony Gilroy who now appears to be holding to the strike and not doing anything for Andor's second season until the strike's over. Which means that show's either gonna be a lot messier than the first season, or they're gonna need to do a lot of work in post/reshoots once the strike is over. So they're either taking the hit to reputation (Disney ruined a great show by refusing to work with the union) or to their wallet.

It's so frustrating that the first decent thing to come out of that franchise in 40 years will of course be hosed over for it's conclusion.

I mean they pulled the first one off during the pandemic, but I have much less faith in Disney doing the right thing here.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So I got around to watching Prodigy and SNW. They were both pretty good. I didn't watch all of Prodigy, but it was miles better than Picard in every aspect. Feels like they actually planned out the series arc rather than cobbling it together at the last moment.
As for SNW, I liked pretty much everything about it, with the exception of the Gorn and them being essentially xenomorphs now. Also Laan Noonien Soong. Not the character, the name.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Also Laan Noonien Soong. Not the character, the name.

Singh, not Soong. :eng101:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Timby posted:

Lol I was trying to remember if it was Singh or Soong, what with them saying that Khan was named after Data's inventor's ancestor and all that.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I was going to make a joke about how it's like having a character named Billy Hitler. But then I remembered that there actually was a Bill Hitler. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Stuart-Houston

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Timby posted:

Singh
Singh a Soong
Singh out loud
Singh out loong

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I was going to make a joke about how it's like having a character named Billy Hitler. But then I remembered that there actually was a Bill Hitler. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Stuart-Houston

Also kind of weird to honor your friend from the war by naming your Space Hitler character after him.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Also kind of weird to honor your friend from the war by naming your Space Hitler character after him.

Didn’t Roddenberry name Khan to get the attention of his friend as they’d lost contact with each other? IIRC he did the same thing with Noonien Soong 20 years later.

I guess pissing him off might be a better way of getting him to respond, but I think by that point you have to admit that he doesn’t want to be your friend anymore, Gene.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Trying to blackmail Uncle Hitler into giving you a job is hilarious.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I'm not bothered by Noonien Singh because the actress did good and the character writing manage to tie it in reasonably instead of just fully relying on nostalgia, and alsoKhan probably hosed a lot like Genghis did so there being random noonien singhs running around is reasonable whereas Picard having a ship full of nepobabies is a little too much for me.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Also at this point the Botany Bay is still adrift in space somewhere so La'an's surname is really more of an interesting historical footnote to contemporary people at this time; it's like finding out that there are still Habsburgs posting on Twitter in 2023.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Khan poo poo was my #1 worry before the show and I'm glad they didn't do anything stupid about it. I hope they can continue not being stupid.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I mean they haven’t even mentioned anything about it aside from La’an referencing a colony ship she was on as a kid iirc. And even that was implied to just be a regular Federation ship given it was eligible for her to wear a pin for it on Remembrance Day.

She also hasn’t displayed super strength or superhuman tactical prowess, so I doubt she’s even an augment. It’s just the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah the only thing they did with it was use it as backstory when other kids made fun of her calling her an augment and a freak, even if she wasn’t any of those things