Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I miss the 90s. They were so rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dysgenesis posted:

I miss the 90s. They were so rad.

Pretty bitchin

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Da bomb, even.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

All that AND a bag of chips

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Excuse me, the 90’s were PHAT

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
the 90s were CHOICE and AWESOME

CHAWESOME we said

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Totally radical, dude!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

dialhforhero posted:

Totally radical, dude!

I think that was the 80s.

The 90s were fuckin dope though.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

dialhforhero posted:

Totally radical, dude!

Badical!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Guy Axlerod posted:

I know this list is selecting for the wild designs, but I'm impressed at how bold and complicated the designs are. In the 90's even the K-Mart had some neon lights on the wall, and Walmart had the smileys up around. The GTE Contact Center reminded me of an office I worked in that was last remodeled in the 90s.

The Walmart smiley always makes me think of this MacHall strip....which came out in 2001so it's still 90's enough

http://www.machall.com/view.php?date=2001-12-21

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Porfiriato posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTFXuJqcaJY

e: there's some sort of non-Newton PDA I don't recognize at 2:50 followed by a Videophone cameo.

I legit thought this was the one where my dad was a manager in Sacramento until I realized it was in Texas and nope they were all just like that.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Guy Axlerod posted:

I know this list is selecting for the wild designs, but I'm impressed at how bold and complicated the designs are. In the 90's even the K-Mart had some neon lights on the wall, and Walmart had the smileys up around. The GTE Contact Center reminded me of an office I worked in that was last remodeled in the 90s.

I feel like most stores today have minimal design. They have some shelves and racks and they might be nice shelves but that's it. However, Stew Leonard's has their animatronic funscape. I can think of one Banana Republic that has this train station design to it, but their other stores don't have much design interest. Wegman's has the fake streetscape in the Cafe/Bakery/Deli section of their flagship stores, but most have the "is brown" aesthetic.

Maybe I'm just too old to appreciate some of the design?

Part of it is just changing aesthetics but I'm sure market conditions have a lot to do with it too. In the early 90s department stores and malls were still flush with customers. The rise of Wal-Mart and then Amazon forced them to cut margins to the bone to stay competitive. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of modern retail chains also did most of their business online, even stores that you think would always do in-person business like clothing and hardware stores.

waffy
Oct 31, 2010

90s Solo Cup posted:

What can be more 90s than 90s mall store decor?

Here's an entire collage of them: https://imgur.com/gallery/Ak4r16D

I can’t believe someone managed to compile almost 900 of these.

With that said, please inject them all into my veins.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

the 90s were CHOICE and AWESOME

CHAWESOME we said

But only in a ironic way.

Desmodus rotundus
Sep 15, 2013

HAY GUYS

Randallteal posted:

Part of it is just changing aesthetics but I'm sure market conditions have a lot to do with it too. In the early 90s department stores and malls were still flush with customers. The rise of Wal-Mart and then Amazon forced them to cut margins to the bone to stay competitive. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of modern retail chains also did most of their business online, even stores that you think would always do in-person business like clothing and hardware stores.

I feel like hardware stores will always exist because goddamn how often do you start a project only to break something or realize you need a hyper specific tool or piece and you need it RIGHT NOW.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Alhazred posted:

But only in a ironic way.

Like rain on your wedding day.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

DigitalRaven posted:

Like rain on your wedding day.

Or a hit song about irony that has nothing to do with irony

BigBallChunkyTime has a new favorite as of 22:39 on May 2, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cosmic irony is still irony

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Tunicate posted:

Cosmic irony is still irony

Is this some existential lovecraft? The irony out of space?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It's ironic if you specifically picked that day to avoid another day where it usually rains and it didn't rain that day.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That game sucked hot rear end even for the time.... but gently caress me that presentation was good

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it absolutely did not suck if you were on a full 6 player cab in a crowded arcade on a friday night. it's about atmosphere.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Move the gently caress over I’m dazzler

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

mind the walrus posted:

That game sucked hot rear end even for the time.... but gently caress me that presentation was good

:mods:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

RAAAA OOOOOH AHHHHH

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

When they did the HD remaster in 2010 for consoles (delisted in 2013..) they used the exact same script, bad translation and all, for the new voice acting.

I don't have a source for this because my mind is a steel trap but half of it is a steel sieve.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grassy Knowles posted:

Move the gently caress over I’m dazzler

Oh, ok.

Who are you in the game?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh, ok.

Who are you in the game?

Nightcrawler

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

COLOSSUS UUHHHHHHAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
all those who insult Xmen arcade: WELCOME TO DIE

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Der-Wreck posted:

COLOSSUS UUHHHHHHAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think I remember those. The '90s were the golden era of weird and wonderful school supplies: Yikes and triangular pencils, Trapper Keepers, Lisa Frank. There was even colorful glue:

It's another school thing that seemed cool at first but ultimately was just glue. I'm not sure the color even stayed when the glue dried.
You should see what Elmer's glue is up to now.
(They dove head first into the Slime stuff, it's pretty rad.)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Croccers posted:

You should see what Elmer's glue is up to now.
(They dove head first into the Slime stuff, it's pretty rad.)

oh so they’re in the fetish toy space? how progressive

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It used to be a thing at my school to take a bottle of white glue and a Crayola marker of choice, then crack the marker open and take out the felt tip and drop it in the glue. Overnight the color would leech out and you'd have colored glue.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I played through X-Men with my kids on MAME a few months ago and can confirm it still slaps. It's definitely not deep gameplay, but it's fun.

Semi-related, the new TMNT game last year was really great. It was basically how I remembered those games being, but in a direct comparison, it fares way better. Pretty much the ideal modernization of that kind of game, including the soundtrack.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

all those who insult Xmen arcade: WELCOME TO DIE

X-CHICKEN AHAHAHA

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

oh so they’re in the fetish toy space? how progressive
Not space, cosmic.

And uhh maybe? What's your opinion on Slime?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Annihilation was a p good movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/Oel0zjpKCwE