Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

tbh i too care a fair bit about rendering accuracy for pdfs, so it is not a bad deal for me, but i expect it'll be obnoxious clunk for 99% of users

nothing but the most accurate PDF rendering for my hi-res phone images

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Didn't windows 10 have a really nice pdf viewer that they then killed to get people to use edge?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah it was called non-chrome edge

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:rip: EdgeHTML, you were too beautiful for this world

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the old edge had better video decoding and scrolling. new stuff is all based on cross-platform chromium nonsense

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

This is garbage, but honestly I do actually want different browsers for outlook and teams.
There's too much crap going on nowadays to have a "default browser" for the whole OS. I need to be able to set those apps to use a specific browser and even a specific profile.

Will probably never happen.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
got an email with a pdf in my work outlook, it has a link but i cant click it (just select it as text) & i cant save the pdf (except to onedrive which i dont have on this computer)

so i opened the inspector, saved the GetAttachmentPdfPreview request (which is in base64), decoded to pdf, then clicked the link

lol, just make the link work you dummies

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

~Coxy posted:

This is garbage, but honestly I do actually want different browsers for outlook and teams.
There's too much crap going on nowadays to have a "default browser" for the whole OS. I need to be able to set those apps to use a specific browser and even a specific profile.

there's definitely a couple of mac apps that do this, no idea about windows though

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

~Coxy posted:

now that you mention it, i use multiple browser profiles at work and it would be nice if i could get different apps to use different profiles instead of doing the "switch to correct profile, then switch back to app that i'm about to open a link inside" shuffle

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
hold on. something went wrong.

thanks Teams

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i loving hate that "something went wrong" is the default error message in pretty much every microsoft product now

just tell me what went wrong you piece of poo poo i know you know

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

i loving hate that "something went wrong" is the default error message in pretty much every microsoft product now

just tell me what went wrong you piece of poo poo i know you know

so you can put it into loving *google*? think not, we're on to your game

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The truth is probably that they don't know what happened, they just put a try catch statement around the entire code

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

r u ready to WALK posted:

The truth is probably that they don't know what happened, they just put a try catch statement around the entire code

The majority of devs do this, and somehow believe that the exception content will be remotely useful.

You can tell when a dev is trying to be smart and has never had to look after the code in production.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

r u ready to WALK posted:

with the amount of analytics they collect and the log spew that accumulates i don't believe this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i still love that onedrive generates hundreds of megabytes of analytics a day, and you're not allowed to look at them.

motherfucker, that's my data you're exfiltrating. at least let me see what the gently caress the sync log shows so i know why your piece of poo poo software has been stuck syncing a single three kilobyte file for a week and a half

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

infernal machines posted:

at least let me see what the gently caress the sync log shows so i know why your piece of poo poo software has been stuck syncing a single three kilobyte file for a week and a half

Something went wrong

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

Something went wrong
concerning

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
well
here's some new Edge fuckery.

the forward button disappears when there's no forward page to go to, and the whole navigation button section moves over so that the cursor now is over the stop/reload button.

great UX there morans

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

well
here's some new Edge fuckery.

the forward button disappears when there's no forward page to go to, and the whole navigation button section moves over so that the cursor now is over the stop/reload button.

great UX there morans
Well everyone loves when webpages shift as you click and the wrong thing happens so they've just decided to apply that to the browser chrome as well I guess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

god yes. there's nothing i love more than ephemeral ui elements that actively punish muscle memory. i love them even more than popover windows stealing input focus and blinking cursors that do not indicate the active input field

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it seems ironic that the product called windows is so spectacularly bad at managing things like window focus

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

infernal machines posted:

god yes. there's nothing i love more than ephemeral ui elements that actively punish muscle memory. i love them even more than popover windows stealing input focus and blinking cursors that do not indicate the active input field

this is by far the #1 thing i hate about ios/ipados

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
edge reset my search engine to Bing again

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

has software like malware bytes started correctly identifying edge as malware? I bet they don’/won’t, but they should.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Why the gently caress doesn't OneNote have a way to crop an image. Every office application can do it but not loving OneNote lmao.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
OneNote OneSize

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Why the gently caress doesn't OneNote have a way to crop an image. Every office application can do it but not loving OneNote lmao.

laffo i looked it up and the official support page says to just screen clip your picture and repaste it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah I really liked Edge for the last couple of years but they're now loving with it badly enough that I'm considering moving back to Firefox.

I still don't like how Firefox handles tabs, but they did at least fix the zooming and scaling that was busted until recently.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
like I'm no Edge stan, but it was doing ok for a little while there. and it's good for certain work poo poo where the last session isn't maintained, unlike our Chome installs.

back to double browserin'

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

laffo i looked it up and the official support page says to just screen clip your picture and repaste it
Yep. I had to google it too because couldn't believe the function wasn't there.

The workaround is funny as well because you can't actually use the OneNote screenshot feature that's right there do it because it automatically hides the app window. So you have to PrintScreen it and paste into Paint or use the snipping tool, or I guess might as well just copy/paste it into Paint directly.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm still mad they killed edgehtml

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbh i suspect the no clip in onenote is the result of people going "i never use more than 1% of all these features anyway" about office apps, with it turning out that everyone has weird nonoverlapping uses covering the 100%

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

i'm still mad they killed edgehtml

why? it sucked

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

akadajet posted:

why? it sucked

beats having the de facto standard for the web platform be the 2 million (or whatever) lines of c++ that google and apple's forks of webkit have in common

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

tbh i suspect the no clip in onenote is the result of people going "i never use more than 1% of all these features anyway" about office apps, with it turning out that everyone has weird nonoverlapping uses covering the 100%
Cropping an image though? That has to be a pretty pretty common and obvious use case

akadajet posted:

why? it sucked
It wasn't chrome and worked fine

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

beats having the de facto standard for the web platform be the 2 million (or whatever) lines of c++ that google and apple's forks of webkit have in common

right now, the only non-standard weird browser engine I have to deal with is firefox

https://caniuse.com/?search=keepalive
gently caress you, firefox

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
microsoft pushed a replacement for the windows weather app thats a web wrapper around their ad filled msn weather site. what a loving disaster

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

microsoft pushed a replacement for the windows weather app thats a web wrapper around their ad filled msn weather site. what a loving disaster

ahhahahahah that sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they did the same thing with the News app a while back and it went from a thing that was a genuinely useful to completely unreadable.

they also didnt update the screenshots on either app so both still look like the non-poo poo ad-free old versions lol.