Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

finally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

reversed your black and white filter

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

holy poo poo that giant bird behind the tree is gonna kill that runner

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i like this one :)

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

echinopsis posted:

reversed your black and white filter

The LR colourise is pretty rad, tho I don't know about the blue sulphur crested cockies

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it was the first free google ai colorise thing I found. it gives a film vibe and is better than I expected

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

yay columbines!

i found a tiny plant growing out of a gap between two walkway tiles and it turns out it was a house for some little friends

also holy moly, it turns out live view and articulating screens really ARE a gamechanger for close-up work... if only i bothered carrying lights with me on a daily basis.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
seriously WYSIWYG with mirrorless is so good, so long as you're sure the exposure will be fine (and yeah admittedly thats sometimes pretty difficult)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm always doing over/underexposures to get weird shadows or flares and I would waste just so much film if I went that route. EVF life.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the benefits of mirrorless cannot be overstated

they are as gamechanging as when they added a ball to baseball

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

seriously WYSIWYG with mirrorless is so good, so long as you're sure the exposure will be fine (and yeah admittedly thats sometimes pretty difficult)
surely easier than with any other camera method tho ? you can see the histy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s unlikely those shooting film will know the joy of bringing home 600 photos or so to peruse

once I shot just under 1200 on one shoot. it did mean even a year later I could go back and find a few gems I didn’t get the first 4 times I went thru them

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

i mean lets not get carried away, i'm still an idiot and will insist on slrs for as long as my hands will work with them

just rest the whole assembly on top of your fingers and scoot your hand back and forth on the ground for fine focus because you're too lazy to get a macro rail and then carry both it and your tripod to work every day.

also it probably would have helped if i had turned peaking on beforehand, but i assumed it just was on by default and very weak in effect. given that im an slr scrub and not totally hip to mirrorless, that's not all that surprising. i also can't remember if it was on by default with my k-3 or if i had to turn it on.

re: film counts - echi, one time i drained 4 36-frame rolls in a single afternoon, so probably 150 photos with the couple extra from each. it's not the 800 i did at the first wedding i shot, but it was still a LOT of prints to sift through. also that was one of the last times i shot film before i decided i needed to move to digital. i have to imagine that was a $100 day at the lab even back then.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nurrwick posted:

re: film counts - echi, one time i drained 4 36-frame rolls in a single afternoon, so probably 150 photos with the couple extra from each. it's not the 800 i did at the first wedding i shot, but it was still a LOT of prints to sift through. also that was one of the last times i shot film before i decided i needed to move to digital. i have to imagine that was a $100 day at the lab even back then.

lol

tbh I was half joking, if I really liked the shoot then it’s a joy going thru the images but if it was only ok then it’s a bit of a burden

i’m still trying to work out the best way to deal with the people I work with too, the last way I did it was
separate all the photo onto either useable or not useable and then send low res copies with the
proviso they aren’t to be shared, and for them to tell me which ones they liked. she liked 50 of them lol!

I understand if people were doing this professionally they’d charge like $100-150 for an hour with 8-12 photos or something, so 50 for free is a bargain lol. lucky for them I don’t value myself

(tbf there just aren’t that many people hanging out to pay money to me, if I didn’t do it for free I wouldn’t be doing it at all and I like doing it. that someone benefits from this is just a bonus for them)

[rant]
someone hit me up about doing a shoot and I kinda don’t really want to but I don’t know how to say no lol. she’s not a very good model and she won’t even wear any makeup. kinda gets my goat because she’s like what location do you have in mind (asking me) and i’m like idk you’re the one who asked to do a shoot[/rant]

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

lol

tbh I was half joking, if I really liked the shoot then it’s a joy going thru the images but if it was only ok then it’s a bit of a burden

i’m still trying to work out the best way to deal with the people I work with too, the last way I did it was
separate all the photo onto either useable or not useable and then send low res copies with the
proviso they aren’t to be shared, and for them to tell me which ones they liked. she liked 50 of them lol!

I understand if people were doing this professionally they’d charge like $100-150 for an hour with 8-12 photos or something, so 50 for free is a bargain lol. lucky for them I don’t value myself

(tbf there just aren’t that many people hanging out to pay money to me, if I didn’t do it for free I wouldn’t be doing it at all and I like doing it. that someone benefits from this is just a bonus for them)

[rant]
someone hit me up about doing a shoot and I kinda don’t really want to but I don’t know how to say no lol. she’s not a very good model and she won’t even wear any makeup. kinda gets my goat because she’s like what location do you have in mind (asking me) and i’m like idk you’re the one who asked to do a shoot[/rant]

if someone wants to pay you to take photos of them you should do it even if they don't wear make up or have a chosen location. c'mon dude

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

short lens problems :negative:

want that fuji 70-300

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah the only birds I have pictures of are seagulls, pigeons or crumb-wanting starlings. if I ever go on safari or something similar I'm going to rent the dumbest giant bazooka zoom it'll be awesome

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

if someone wants to pay you to take photos of them you should do it even if they don't wear make up or have a chosen location. c'mon dude

this person does not want to pay, she wants
it for free

of course if she was paying then whatever they want they get

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

this person does not want to pay, she wants
it for free

of course if she was paying then whatever they want they get

:hmmyes: fair

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hey, new to the thread. looking at getting a camera. What's the best lens? Will be taking pics of all sorts of things.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jonny 290 posted:

hey, new to the thread. looking at getting a camera. What's the best lens? Will be taking pics of all sorts of things.

a specific recommendation highly depends on which camera system you'll be using. focal lengths are not the same across sensor sizes and not all lenses are equal

for example a common general recommendation here would be a 50mm lens, because it's roughly equivalent to normal vision. that's if you were using a film slr or a full frame mirrorless cam. with micro four thirds that is 25mm, and with aps-c it's 33.3… mm

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what were you hoping to spend 290

like ballpark

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

contrairianly: get a phone with a good camera and it's always with you

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

don't use your phone. dedicate your attention to the act of taking a photo

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

contrairianly: get a phone with a good camera and it's always with you

doing something dorky with a phone brings shame upon yourself but if you do it with a big lens people respect it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bobmarleysghost posted:

don't use your phone. dedicate your attention to the act of taking a photo

you can do that with a phone

echinopsis posted:

doing something dorky with a phone brings shame upon yourself but if you do it with a big lens people respect it

schlepping about w a big camera in fact makes u the dork

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my and my gf explicitly make fun of "camera guys" when we go to national parks. they're always weird alone guys with way too much gear and they're always men

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

phones are fine for a quick snapshot (if you don't have anything else handy) but they're still too limited to do Good Work with

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

my and my gf explicitly make fun of "camera guys" when we go to national parks. they're always weird alone guys with way too much gear and they're always men

we are making fun of "phone guys"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im not here to do good work. I'm here to do long work

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Beeftweeter posted:

we are making fun of "phone guys"

wait a minute...

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

*digital zooms in* yeah you

*squints* at least i think its you

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i don't know dick about camera rly i just like to take pics of stuff in my life that i think looks cool. the chances of me using a Real Camera are slim to none. Cell Phone is good enough to take this pic and its more than nice enough to make me happy to see my beautiful boy 😍

Having a nice cameraphone means every time you see something cool you can pokemon snap it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

like i said it's perfectly serviceable for a quick snapshot but the quality really suffers for it. look at poor george's fur, it looks like it's all smeary and blocky from the high iso, noise reduction + compression

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

raws are too big for my internal storage uwu 🥺

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
best camera is one you enjoy using, because you take more photos that way

best camera isn't gonna be one you use for technical reasons, but people are sure as hell gonna explain it that way

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

schlepping about w a big camera in fact makes u the dork

I make it look cool because i have a long camera strap and it hangs low on my body kind of like how korn had their guitars slung low. same vibe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tef posted:

best camera is one you enjoy using, because you take more photos that way

best camera isn't gonna be one you use for technical reasons, but people are sure as hell gonna explain it that way

indeed

a good camera is just a device that makes using a lens easy