Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i hated the trinitron lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sb hermit posted:

:hfive:

the color was just right but it sure made lan games a workout

I always got a proper desk and chair because the monitor I snuck out of work at 8am on Saturday wasn’t certain to be supported by one of the improvised flat surfaces in a friend’s basement

it did not improve my results

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ram is too cheap to waste precious disk space on swapfiles anyway

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nudgenudgetilt posted:

how does keepassxc's mfa support actually secure the data though? is the yubikey being used for a cryptographic operations, or is it keepassxc just "lol, yeah, you got the static yubikey and master password, take what you need"

from what I understand, it actually gets key material from the yubikey, probably by passing it some sort of value and using the hash that is returned

I haven't looked at the source code to verify, but if you don't have the yubikey and you use the right password, it says that the master key didn't work and your database is likely corrupted

EDIT: fix misspelling

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i just like that with `pass` i can punt the entire encryption operation into the yubikey

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i hated the trinitron lines

trinitrons were good tvs but that always bugged the poo poo out of me on a monitor

mystes
May 31, 2006

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i just like that with `pass` i can punt the entire encryption operation into the yubikey
at the cost of not encrypting the metadata

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

mystes posted:

at the cost of not encrypting the metadata

yeah, there are tradeoffs, but if you can access any of my devices where i access my pass repo, you already havethe bulk of that metadata.

yubikey+pass+git on syncthing is just about bulletproof from a reliability perspective, and yeah, if you manage to get into my laptop or phone's already encrypted storage, you can suss out that I have a forums account (though not the username, as I store that in a login: field)

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Late to the party on the MS zip scan thing, but you can list the filenames in a password protected zip archive, and I believe each file also has a checksum. I suspect that there's probably some checksum scanning for common malware, which is less likely than MS brute forcing files open.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it's a memory dump cve, really embarassing that it's taking up cve space if i'm being honest. i'd put this on the same level as that 1password vuln of calling the export function...

devs already said they're patching it and will push a release by july but someone wanted some cred, at least it wasn't a serious vuln they threw into the wild

loving thank you, i've been biting my tongue on this but not wanting to come on too strong and this is very good to hear from someone whose security acumen i very much respect

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Truga posted:

ram is too cheap to waste precious disk space on swapfiles anyway

can’t get over 64G on AM5 systems without lovely speeds, sadly

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

haveblue posted:

what was the legitimate purpose of the .zip tld

did they have an application in mind or did someone just think it sounded cool

it’s simple. we simply want to kill zip

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

also gently caress tar. I don’t care

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

nudgenudgetilt posted:

how does keepassxc's mfa support actually secure the data though? is the yubikey being used for a cryptographic operations, or is it keepassxc just "lol, yeah, you got the static yubikey and master password, take what you need"

It uses the OTP generator part of the yubikeys, keepassxc docs are kinda lame but keepassium uses the same logic to work and explain how to set them up

https://keepassium.com/articles/how-to-use-yubikey/

You set up a seed on one of the two HMAC-SHA1 slots on one(better if multiple) yubikey and it will provide the codes if the correct button is pressed.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

edit: nm, cram.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I was on the Trinitron weightlifting plan.

I had a widescreen Trinitron CRT display I found in a dumpster in high school. Probably weighed over 100lbs. :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

b0red posted:

it’s simple. we simply want to kill zip

…you work for Big Stuffit?

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
"lol time to put a penny in the 'copilot wrote an SQL injection vulnerability' jar"

spotted in work slack tonight

:cheers:

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
successfully convinced security to block all .zip and .mov tlds from zscaler :cool:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:patriot:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

gnatalie posted:

successfully convinced security to block all .zip and .mov tlds from zscaler :cool:

:yosnice:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

I was on the Trinitron weightlifting plan.

one of those put a hole through the floor of my Camry’s trunk when I slipped and dropped it (the monitor was fine of course)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

El Mero Mero posted:

one of those put a hole through the floor of my Camry’s trunk when I slipped and dropped it (the monitor was fine of course)

did you try degaussing the camry?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
One time that we went to pick up a monitor when I was a teen and my parents did the turn too tight into a sidewalk I was "hopefully that didn't damage it" and they promptly replied that if anything it might have bent the trunk instead.

And yeah the monitor was fine

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i found a monitor someone had just thrown in the woods once and being a teenager decided i needed to smash it, and it took an enormous fuckin' rock to finally implode the drat tube, like basically the size of the monitor itself

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Carthag Tuek posted:

did you try degaussing the camry?

Car sized B W A U M M M as the windshield flickers

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Volmarias posted:

Car sized B W A U M M M as the windshield flickers

glitch in the matrix

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
attn: Kenny Logins

https://www.kennylog-in.com

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

unauthenticated RCE as root on Mikrotik RouterOS

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fun.

at least there's a firmware update available that specifically references this

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

what does "network adjacent" mean here?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it looks like anything that could access the router advertisement service, which in theory would be running on LAN scoped interfaces, but idk for sure

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

what does "network adjacent" mean here?

infernal machines posted:

it looks like anything that could access the router advertisement service, which in theory would be running on LAN scoped interfaces, but idk for sure
p much, it's functionally "lan access" and they ignore dns rebinding to get a remote attacker to send arbitrary data to a local host that'd otherwise be inaccessible, e.g. https://github.com/transmission/transmission/pull/468

neat to see an unauth rce for mikrotik that isn't leaning on smb

the zdi disclosure timeline is also wrong but i can't expect them to be able to read

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IPv6 RA is link-local.

To steal a joke from irc: this is just an undocumented rescue method. :v:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hot Pixels: Frequency, Power, and Temperature Attacks on GPUs and ARM SoCs

quote:

The drive to create thinner, lighter, and more energy efficient devices has resulted in modern SoCs being forced to balance a delicate tradeoff between power consumption, heat dissipation, and execution speed (i.e., frequency). While beneficial, these DVFS mechanisms have also resulted in software-visible hybrid side-channels, which use software to probe analog properties of computing devices. Such hybrid attacks are an emerging threat that can bypass countermeasures for traditional microarchitectural side-channel attacks. Given the rise in popularity of both Arm SoCs and GPUs, in this paper we investigate the susceptibility of these devices to information leakage via power, temperature and frequency, as measured via internal sensors. We demonstrate that the sensor data observed correlates with both instructions executed and data processed, allowing us to mount software-visible hybrid side-channel attacks on these devices. To demonstrate the real-world impact of this issue, we present JavaScript-based pixel stealing and history sniffing attacks on Chrome and Safari, with all side channel countermeasures enabled. Finally, we also show website fingerprinting attacks, without any elevated privileges.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

they ignore dns rebinding to get a remote attacker to send arbitrary data to a local host that'd otherwise be inaccessible,

Is dns rebinding actually possible here? I thought RAs went over icmpv6, which (unlike the example of transmission and using rebinding to send http to a local interface despite the sop) a browser shouldn't be emitting at all

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I don't think this has anything to do with dns rebinding at all.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Rufus Ping posted:

Is dns rebinding actually possible here? I thought RAs went over icmpv6, which (unlike the example of transmission and using rebinding to send http to a local interface despite the sop) a browser shouldn't be emitting at all
oh i was talking about network adjacent as a concept for any vuln review, not this vuln in particular

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
happy 10th birthday, Let's Encrypt :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Winkle-Daddy posted:

happy 10th birthday, Let's Encrypt :toot:

Let's!