Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

credburn posted:

I heard this term on Comedy Bang Bang and assumed it was referring to some character. What's a Nepo Baby?

I fuckin loved World War Z when it came out. I was obsessed with zombie poo poo in the years leading up to it, and World War Z kind of came at the very moment that zombies became a pop culture explosion. Looking back, it is what it is, which is about exactly what you might expect it to be, but I will say that for a book that was loosely spun off Max Brooks' previous derpy book, a survival guide about the zombie apocalypse, it was written reasonably well. Far better than most other zombie material that was out at the time and certainly better than the deluge of saturated zombie poo poo that came later.

One thing I really liked about the book was that it came after things like 28 Days Later and the Dawn of the Dead remake, and I was not really a fan of the "fast zombies" thing. World War Z leaned heavily into the slow, moaning, traditional shambling zombie, which made the movie even dumber for adopting the exact opposite kind of zombie, but whatever.

Nepo Baby = child of famous parents. Max Brooks is Mel’s son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While there are aspects of them that have aged poorly, there are some solid humour beats in the Ferenghi episodes of DS9. I'm onto the episode where Zek rewrites the rules of acquisition, and love how the body-guard is written in the episode because he's normally completely stoic, but throughout this episode he's clearly as worried as Quark is about the Nagus' bizarre behaviour and it really helps sell the comedic moments due to him being mostly silent.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BioEnchanted posted:

While there are aspects of them that have aged poorly, there are some solid humour beats in the Ferenghi episodes of DS9. I'm onto the episode where Zek rewrites the rules of acquisition, and love how the body-guard is written in the episode because he's normally completely stoic, but throughout this episode he's clearly as worried as Quark is about the Nagus' bizarre behaviour and it really helps sell the comedic moments due to him being mostly silent.

The episode with Iggy Pop as Vorta Who Is Sick Of You, and the Federation happily signing away a prisoner of war to his death to get Quark's mum back, is very good indeed.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

mind the walrus posted:

Oh you think I'm that kind-of dumb. Idk man google it.

Lmao I hear this marketing horseshit every few years. There's about 10 different zombie properties which were when they became a "pop culture explosion." It reads like you're trying to sell something, and I have no idea why or to who, but it's like... dude c'mon.

Are you drunk

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

i hope not, because he's like this all the time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HopperUK posted:

The episode with Iggy Pop as Vorta Who Is Sick Of You, and the Federation happily signing away a prisoner of war to his death to get Quark's mum back, is very good indeed.

It's Always Rainy On Ferenginar

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
"Family. You understand."

"Not really. I was cloned."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

drat

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

quote:

the slow, moaning, traditional shambling zombie,

We all know the parody zombie, slowly shuffling about with its hands stretched out and moaning brains....brains....

But what exactly is it parodying? I've never seen that kind of zombie in a movie.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Fish of hemp posted:

We all know the parody zombie, slowly shuffling about with its hands stretched out and moaning brains....brains....

But what exactly is it parodying? I've never seen that kind of zombie in a movie.

The brains thing came from Return of the Living Dead. I have no idea where the outstretched hands came from.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Fish of hemp posted:

As I undestand it, it is a cross between Night of The Living Dead shuffling zombies, and Return of The Living Dead zombies lusting for brains.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
What I find wild - and correct me if I am wrong - is that Resident Evil of all things is the source of viral zombies. Yeah, you have the implication that it might be a virus in the Romero films, but even if it is, it clearly works differently since the main method of transmission is air or something and everyone is infected already, since they all turn no matter the cause of death. RE seems to be the first mainstream work I'm aware of where all the modern rules of a viral zombie plague are in effect; the virus is spread by being bitten and only those infected turn.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

why DID something like TWD pop off exactly? i figured zombies were passe long before it came out.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

What I find wild - and correct me if I am wrong - is that Resident Evil of all things is the source of viral zombies. Yeah, you have the implication that it might be a virus in the Romero films, but even if it is, it clearly works differently since the main method of transmission is air or something and everyone is infected already, since they all turn no matter the cause of death. RE seems to be the first mainstream work I'm aware of where all the modern rules of a viral zombie plague are in effect; the virus is spread by being bitten and only those infected turn.

It was RE and House of the Dead (released the same year). HotD specifically was cited as influential for the 28 Days Later franchise.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mr Interweb posted:

why DID something like TWD pop off exactly? i figured zombies were passe long before it came out.

The show creator (Darabont) was a good adaptor of Stephen King stuff. King also delves in zombies but his are more spiritual than biological iirc.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

Zombies were kind of huge in the 00s. At least, there were a ton of low-budget direct-to-video movies being made, plus the Dawn of the Dead remake, Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and the sequel to the Dawn of the Dead remake. Resident Evil was probably a big part of it too.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Toshimo posted:

It was RE and House of the Dead (released the same year). HotD specifically was cited as influential for the 28 Days Later franchise.

Weren't the HOTD zambambos made by like a machine and didn't actually have the ability to infect people? I barely remember the original game, mostly played HOTD2.

Media that did not age poorly: House of the Dead 2. SUFFER LIKE G DID is the greatest line in history.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mr Interweb posted:

A large part of it was that they brought in a "pro from Dover" in the form of Frank Darabont, who had been just slam dunking it with Shawshank Redemption, Gereen Mile, and The Mist.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

It was the "prestigous" take on the zombie trope. It had a good cast and opening season, and was right on time for the beginning of the "golden age" of TV.

Zombies were a bit passe in nerd circles by 2010, but weren't fully burnt out in the mainstream until TWD itself was on TV. People love zombie stuff because it's human-on-human violence you don't have to feel bad about.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s the perfect sort of “soft apocalypse” to mentally project yourself into. There are very few people around and everything’s mostly intact, so it’s a fun scenario to think about what you’d do as a big-brain genius vs like atomic war or a regular total civilizational collapse where you’d just starve or be killed immediately.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Weren't the HOTD zambambos made by like a machine and didn't actually have the ability to infect people? I barely remember the original game, mostly played HOTD2.

Media that did not age poorly: House of the Dead 2. SUFFER LIKE G DID is the greatest line in history.

I more prefer the big bad, the one who, when agitated, started sounding like Kermit the Frog.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nepo Baby = child of famous parents. Max Brooks is Mel’s son.

...this explains a LOT about the book's sudden popularity relative to its quality.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Zombie movies were played out, but zombie tv shows were still relatively untapped. Plus good marketing from amc.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

What I find wild - and correct me if I am wrong - is that Resident Evil of all things is the source of viral zombies. Yeah, you have the implication that it might be a virus in the Romero films,

NotLD has a radio broadcast in which scientists say they believe that the dead rising is the effect of radiation brought back from Venus by a space probe.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I think the outstretched arms thing might be from jiangshi.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

edit: ignore. wrong thread

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Zombies with outstretched arms feature in the video to Michael Jackson's Thriller, but I don't know if that's a reference to something else.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The 'brains' thing started with the Return Of The Living Dead films back in '85
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6zX6-Rf4JY&t=72s

The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror 3 episode in 1992 had slow shuffling zombies with their arms outstretched moaning BRAAINS and passing on the infection with their bite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF9W3H-jdSc

well why not posted:

Zombies were a bit passe in nerd circles by 2010

There used to be zombie "flash mob" events starting the early 00s and lasting until the mid 2010s where people would put on zombie makeup, meet up at one location and then "shuffle" through the city to some end point. Here in Melbourne Australia they used to attract tens of thousands of people

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Outstretched arms are probably from one of the Universal Frankenstein sequels where the monster is blinded and has to fumble about with his arms since he can't see.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FreudianSlippers posted:

Outstretched arms are probably from one of the Universal Frankenstein sequels where the monster is blinded and has to fumble about with his arms since he can't see.

Yep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxtn5mwnMiM
I could've sworn that the old Universal monster movies had mummies which shambles along with outstretched arms but I just checked a bunch and they sometimes had one outstretched arm with the other tucked in against their chest, which isn't quite what we're looking for

There was also a lot of Scooby Doo villains who chased the gang with outstretched arms, including the zombie-like Creeper back in the original series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO77h2m-0P4

Edit: Calvin and Hobbes were doing the outstretched arms zombie shuffle back in 1987:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 11:07 on May 26, 2023

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Smurfs created the modern "viral zombie outbreak transmitted by bite" scenario a decade before Night of the Living Dead

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Assepoester posted:

The Smurfs created the modern "viral zombie outbreak transmitted by bite" scenario a decade before Night of the Living Dead

If we're going that way then Old Yeller beat The Smurfs by quite a bit. :ssh: It also had a scene where Yeller's owner Travis realises that the dog is starting to "turn" and is starting to become rabid but hides it from everyone else, which nearly has tragic consequences.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s the perfect sort of “soft apocalypse” to mentally project yourself into. There are very few people around and everything’s mostly intact, so it’s a fun scenario to think about what you’d do as a big-brain genius vs like atomic war or a regular total civilizational collapse where you’d just starve or be killed immediately.

Also, given the preceding decade War on Terror and economic collapse, Zombie literature was in vogue as a societal fear thing. When you think that 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead were released back to back in 2002 and 2003 its prime, the world is hosed feelings in the west.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Jedit posted:

NotLD has a radio broadcast in which scientists say they believe that the dead rising is the effect of radiation brought back from Venus by a space probe.

Oh is this why Shaun of the Dead (the best zombie movie) has the news report about a crashed satellite?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Also not to be that :nerd: about it but the original Zombie stories originate from Haiti but are not really what we conceive of zombies.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If we're going that way then Old Yeller beat The Smurfs by quite a bit. :ssh: It also had a scene where Yeller's owner Travis realises that the dog is starting to "turn" and is starting to become rabid but hides it from everyone else, which nearly has tragic consequences.

Holy smokes the parallels are really obvious now

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Samovar posted:

I more prefer the big bad, the one who, when agitated, started sounding like Kermit the Frog.
hey now. he's, and I quote, "the head one of the most eminent financial groups and an expert on the genome theory"

dude can get mad about the life cycle of nature if he feels the need

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Humerus posted:

Oh is this why Shaun of the Dead (the best zombie movie) has the news report about a crashed satellite?

Yes, and there's a line about rage-infected monkeys. It's full of little references.
One I missed until it was pointed out to me: the fancy restaurant Shaun forgets to book is called "Fulci's".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also not to be that :nerd: about it but the original Zombie stories originate from Haiti but are not really what we conceive of zombies.

Yeah.

Haitian zombies aren't really scary or threatening in themselves. The scary thing is the idea that not even death can free you from slavery and you could be working the fields long after you die just as you did in life with no release for eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, given the preceding decade War on Terror and economic collapse, Zombie literature was in vogue as a societal fear thing. When you think that 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead were released back to back in 2002 and 2003 its prime, the world is hosed feelings in the west.
Also Hollywood needed another plot to use to fill the "Disaster Movie" void left in the wake of 9/11.

Speaking of this, Lindsay Ellis has a very nice before/after alien invasion movies essay, comparing the themes and the visuals of Indipendence Day vs War of the Worlds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KioF1sTQFtE

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 14:03 on May 26, 2023