Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Jonny 290 posted:

It's one of the side effects of creative tooling and internet distribution getting that much better. Same thing happened with the electronic music scene. Used to be that you'd have to have some sort of label and a name because they were gatekeeping the distribution and weren't gonna sign somebody for any old crap. I used to be able to keep up with 'all the dnb releases' by spending 15 minutes a week listening to sound clips of 10-20 tracks posted on Redeye or whatever, order the four or five i wanted, done. Now? I've got to spend 2 hours a week on beatport etc because there are 200 new tracks every week, very few by those names i recognize. Some of the tracks of the 'big names' are awful and some of the tracks by unknown indies are amazing, so you can't really just filter like that.

It's a good problem to have, but it is fatiguing to the consumer.

what if you made an app that curates those 200 tracks into tight 80 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the thing where automation replaces jobs and people say that well that technology will create new jobs is sort of true but most of the new jobs created are around fixing new problems that the automation creates.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

rotor posted:

the thing where automation replaces jobs and people say that well that technology will create new jobs is sort of true but most of the new jobs created are around fixing new problems that the automation creates.

there were quite a few pieces about how automation would also make everyone work fewer hours and lead more fulfilling lives as well, since machine could do all of your work in one hour

but no, it's just machine does 8 hours of that work now

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean, i can never quite hate on automation as a concept because obviously the ideal outcome is that we all take up philosophizing badly while drinking wine as a career. but equally obviously in the interim it is commendable for workers to smash the machines to whatever extent is needed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jonny 290 posted:

ugh i just realized life is "okay, you finished your work early, we'll give you a few years of your time back"

it’s that or die young penniless and hungry

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

yeah, working until you die is a popular retirement plan for many americans.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

philosophizing badly while drinking wine as a career

i need to update my resume

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

post hole digger posted:

yeah, working until you die is a popular retirement plan for many americans.

it's cool that at 33 i can expect to spend the next my-current-lifetime years working just for a chance at being able to retire at a reasonable time

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

dioxazine posted:

there were quite a few pieces about how automation would also make everyone work fewer hours and lead more fulfilling lives

this has never been true for anyone except the people who own the automation

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i don't know why any of us put up with this poo poo, it's awful and nobody would design a system like this if they were given the reins

mystes
May 31, 2006

quiggy posted:

i don't know why any of us put up with this poo poo, it's awful and nobody would design a system like this if they were given the reins
actually the people with the reins would design a system exactly like this because they're the ones who reap all the benefits

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like yeah i have a dishwasher now but i also have to work at a job that would have driven a 14th century peasant insane with frustration

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

quiggy posted:

they 100% would as long as the system fucks over everyone but themselves

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

rotor posted:

like yeah i have a dishwasher now but i also have to work at a job that would have driven a 14th century peasant insane with frustration

science marches on but humanity…humanity never changes

mystes
May 31, 2006

given massive technological progress we've designed a system where you'll still die unless you constantly work your whole life but now you get a glowing piece of glass and several tons of plastic too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like i say, the medicine is nice. Not having intestinal parasites and crippling diseases and stuff is actually great. I just maybe feel like the rest of it isnt real good.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

rotor posted:

14th century peasants got more downtime than the average american worker, lol+lmao

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

quiggy posted:

14th century peasants got more downtime than the average american worker, lol+lmao

yes, thats where I'm goin with this

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

high supply, same demand, misery

go find something w low supply and high demand, and realize that this magically means you dont make video games anymore

jeff vogel isn’t making games with high supply. if you like avernum style games there’s nobody else out there making them quite like that anymore lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

quiggy posted:

yeah but i can come inside in the winter and take a 45 minute hot shower, any time i want

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

yeah but i can come inside in the winter and take a 45 minute hot shower, any time i want

no you cant

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

no you cant

i can and i have

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

i can and i have

no sometimes youre in meetings and you cant

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

fart simpson posted:

quality of life is not a linear scale, it's possible for life to be better in some ways now and worse in others

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

you can do it whenever you want as long as it does not impact your employer

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

rotor posted:

this has never been true for anyone except the people who own the automation

it's all propaganda, all the way down!!

fart simpson posted:

you can also do that during the summer

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ps: an increasing amount of your time will be reserved by your employer

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

you can do it whenever you want as long as it does not impact your employer

it’s called working from home

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
So how do you wake up in the morning and feel well rested? My morning routine is to wake up dead and gradually reanimate through the day.

I'm thinking I should just run first thing when I wake up.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

quiggy posted:

ive been trying to find a paper i read a long time ago that asserted that the average feudal serf was more free than we are today simply because the kings ability to enforce laws at a distance were so much more limited compared to the modern state. If anyone has a link to that Id appreciate it if youd share it w/ me.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

ive been trying to find a paper i read a long time ago that asserted that the average feudal serf was more free than we are today simply because the kings ability to enforce laws at a distance were so much more limited compared to the modern state. If anyone has a link to that Id appreciate it if youd share it w/ me.

it’s not because of that though surely

what would the king need everyone to make? kings only need so much grain

one of the new things capitalism has compared to what came before is a primacy of maximizing exchange value. systems before capitalism were dominated by producing use value for those in power

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

its fine to sit in a chair looking at computer for 9 hours a day while your life force slowly drains out of your body.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

post hole digger posted:

its fine to sit in a chair looking at computer for 9 hours a day while your life force slowly drains out of your body.

that's right

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

America Inc. posted:

So how do you wake up in the morning and feel well rested? My morning routine is to wake up dead and gradually reanimate through the day.

real talk i've never felt more consistently awake than when i go to the gym first thing in the morning

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Let me give you guys a taste of the good life. Instead of working, I've been building an end table thats also a Japanese tea house for my cats

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

post hole digger posted:

but i post outside of work hours too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

America Inc. posted:

do you wfh? I've started taking a 10-20 minute walk around the block after coffee/poo poo/clothes but before i look at Bad Screen. then i do the same at the end of the day. it seems to help a bit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

i dunno about that one but i'm trying to find the one showing that 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year, is more than people have ever worked in human history, except for the victorian era. that's the point of comparison when people say "well you have it easier than in the old days." the time when an average factory job was 16 hours a day, 6.5 days a week, with no breaks, and the factory doors were chained shut and also you were 8 years old.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jonny 290 posted:

do you wfh? I've started taking a 10-20 minute walk around the block after coffee/poo poo/clothes but before i look at Bad Screen. then i do the same at the end of the day. it seems to help a bit

i recommend having a dog for this, it's nice to get out of the house to take him to the park in the morning and then go for a walk around the neighborhood after work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

i dunno about that one but i'm trying to find the one showing that 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year, is more than people have ever worked in human history, except for the victorian era. that's the point of comparison when people say "well you have it easier than in the old days." the time when an average factory job was 16 hours a day, 6.5 days a week, with no breaks, and the factory doors were chained shut and also you were 8 years old.

its called work ethic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNzXze5Yza8