Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grip it and rip it posted:

Hopefully they have Biden down in the NBC bunker. This kind of weather is particularly bad for the elderly. Might need to relabel it the "bad weather" bunker.

We have an answer.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2023/06/07/press-briefing-by-press-secretary-karine-jean-pierre-38/ posted:

Q: And if I could just ask on the smoke. Is the White House, and particularly the President, taking any sort of further precautions, just for your own personal safety? And is this going to change at all — I know earlier today, at least, it sounded like tomorrow might be worse in the Washington area. And there’s supposed to be a big event on the South Lawn. Is anything being changed up at the White House as a result?

MS. JEAN-PIERRE: So in regards to the Pride event, as you just mentioned, Aamer, which is going to be on the South Lawn tomorrow, I don’t have any logistical updates to share at the moment. But, of course, we’re going to continue to monitor the situation. Just don’t have anything to share at this time.

As far as if we’re going to be changing our approach here at the White House, we just don’t have any changes and updates to — to report at this time.

Go ahead.

Q: Just, I guess, to follow up on that: Has been — the President been advised to wear a mask if he’s outside, given that the D.C. air quality is Code Red today?

MS. JEAN-PIERRE: No, I’m aware that the D.C. qa- — quality is Code Red. And I would — and for folks who are watching at home or at work, you can go to the EPA — certainly, the EPA website, and there’s a map of what your area — what code — color your area is.

I just don’t have anything to share on what the President is going to be — any changes to how the President is going to be approaching this. So just don’t have anything at this time.

Q Thanks, Karine. When the President walked from the Residence to the Oval Office today — he walks along the Colonnade outside — do you know if he wore a mask?

MS. JEAN-PIERRE: Nobody is wearing a mask walking from – on the Colonnade.

Q: I’m just saying, outside given the —

MS. JEAN-PIERRE: I’m — I’m just telling you —

Q: — the smoke.

MS. JEAN-PIERRE: — I don’t have any changes to — as I mentioned earlier, I don’t have any changes to what he’ll be doing. But we’ve been walking back and forth on the Colonnade, and no one is wearing a mask. It’s a short walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/DriveFar_Away/status/1666508295622873088?t=TSgROKtwOyb8uA8FzKV1rQ&s=19

So jealous of you all right now. America leading the way into the future once again.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://twitter.com/DriveFar_Away/status/1666508295622873088?t=TSgROKtwOyb8uA8FzKV1rQ&s=19

So jealous of you all right now. America leading the way into the future once again.

Hey, c'mon now, Australia's right there in the thread title.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dude this poo poo sucks. Even worse is it is slowly penetrating into buildings even through their HVAC systems, so you can't get away from it. The filtration systems in a lot of buildings weren't designed to handle such a massive PM2.5 load and it's starting to show. The amount of people walking around in this soup without masks is pretty shocking though, I went out and bought a 20 pack of N95s for outdoors yesterday.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
People weren't taking this serious yesterday, and today its slightly better so far so they think it'll die off tomorrow. Idk about that. I do know that it scares me how many people weren't wearing even cloth or surgical masks yesterday.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bored As gently caress posted:

People weren't taking this serious yesterday, and today its slightly better so far so they think it'll die off tomorrow. Idk about that. I do know that it scares me how many people weren't wearing even cloth or surgical masks yesterday.

Yeah well

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/fox-news-host-jeanine-pirro-calls-it-insanity-wear-mask-protect-yourself-wildfire-smoke

quote:

While Americans choke on the smoke, the far left smells an opportunity. AOC thinks this is a great time to push her Green New Deal. She says that we must, quote, "Adapt our food systems, energy grids, infrastructure, and healthcare to prepare for what's to come." Other Democrats are pumping up climate hysteria and bringing back, you guessed it, mask insanity.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bored As gently caress posted:

It's worse here today than yesterday, the current AQI in Baltimore is just under 300, which is the "this poo poo is literally immediately toxic to everyone young and old" level, and well above the "this will give you cancer" level. People are loving idiots.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

This lich ain't dead yet?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

orange juche posted:

It's worse here today than yesterday, the current AQI in Baltimore is just under 300, which is the "this poo poo is literally immediately toxic to everyone young and old" level, and well above the "this will give you cancer" level. People are loving idiots.

Harrisburg is 458.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Harrisburg is 458.

And yet the majority of the population thinks walking around in literal soup atmosphere is ok, and don't care that their lungs are on fire from smoke inhalation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
All those incomplete combustion products are free fuel for your piston or turbine engine. :blessed:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Platystemon posted:

All those incomplete combustion products are free fuel for your piston or turbine engine. :blessed:

There are so many easier targets for air quality in SE PA rather than ignoring a combination of weather phenomena and fire.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The day after the Iron Sheik challenges God to a match, Satan now has a potential usurper.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1666778540308668422?t=V5WFlE5kLNWBR2Pfn8njeQ&s=19

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
God drat, 93? What is it about being a hate fueled, spiteful rear end in a top hat that keeps people alive so long?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Harrisburg is 458.

A hair over 460 on the west side of the river, it is miserable.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

God drat, 93? What is it about being a hate fueled, spiteful rear end in a top hat that keeps people alive so long?

Soft living and enough wealth to guarantee unlimited access to health care.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

The day after the Iron Sheik challenges God to a match, Satan now has a potential usurper.

https://twitter.com/samknight1/status/1666785851307700224

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I was in Hood River two years ago when the AQI was 400+. It was an absolutely miserable experience, even with some bix fan filters. First purchase after that experience was a serious air purifier and a backup box fan + some big air filters.

It was wild putting a wet cloth ove your mouth when you had to go outside and seeing all the particulate dripping down when you got back inside. Made me glad to not live somewhere the AQi id terrible regularly, but definitely concerned for the future.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Grip it and rip it posted:

I was in Hood River two years ago when the AQI was 400+. It was an absolutely miserable experience, even with some bix fan filters. First purchase after that experience was a serious air purifier and a backup box fan + some big air filters.

It was wild putting a wet cloth ove your mouth when you had to go outside and seeing all the particulate dripping down when you got back inside. Made me glad to not live somewhere the AQi id terrible regularly, but definitely concerned for the future.

Don't worry, Fox is on the case.

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1666791080258334723?s=20

gently caress you liberals and your fancy "air quality". I'll do what I want. Do you feel owned yet snowflake? I hope you feel owned.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

:magical:

How the gently caress is that the response to this? This isn't a loving politics thing, the sky is loving orange! You have to be absolutely making GBS threads me.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Well affirmative action is probably dead in a few days/weeks, but somehow the rotting corpse of the Voting Rights Act wasn't killed today.

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1666812234310496256?t=pYly8fPrTQC-dDa0SGcDqA&s=19

Edit: kind of hard to describe what a shock this was to my feed, lots of poo poo like

https://twitter.com/WendyRWeiser/status/1666816451452481541?t=ZL6x7HhUyXIoDznNSKJr1A&s=19

because everyone just assumed that Roberts was going to be the writer because he despises the VRA and was going to kill it. Instead he and Justice Beer suddenly got a case of the wokes.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 8, 2023

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Elviscat posted:

How the gently caress is that the response to this? This isn't a loving politics thing, the sky is loving orange! You have to be absolutely making GBS threads me.

Oh its orange? Just like hair furer's skintone? loving lib get owned even the sky wants to be like trump

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Camrath posted:

Unsurprising. I had an ex about 15 years back who had front-row seats at one of their concerts, got invited to a backstage party and then got the hell out when Till got very.. aggressively insistent. Not anything necessarily actionable but said ex was super super uncomfortable with it all.

I'll admit that I'm also not very much surprised at the fact that bands have been inviting "groupies" (the term really has a horrible feel, especially during the current events) who wanted to get intimate with their idols to VIP parties (and that's an entirely different discussion due to the power disparity), hell, it's been an open secret ever since the Sex-Drugs-'n-Rock'n-Roll period, but to have a multi-tier-system set up to literally trawling-net fans to concert-VIP-areas, funnel "the chosen ones" into isolated backstage-areas, and booze/drug them into compliance...that's something I didn't see coming.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/DarylSurat/status/1666795056278261763

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Elviscat posted:

The right needs 24/7/365 anger and the quickest way to do this is mass oppositional defiant disorder. "Liberals say breathing smoke is bad, you should breathe smoke."

If the supposed liberal controlled media was worth anything, it would start a massive campaign on the dangers of Russian roulette.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

stealie72 posted:

The right needs 24/7/365 anger and the quickest way to do this is mass oppositional defiant disorder. "Liberals say breathing smoke is bad, you should breathe smoke."

If the supposed liberal controlled media was worth anything, it would start a massive campaign on the dangers of Russian roulette.

didnt that already happen when gun weirdos started shooting at they own dicks?

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Defenestrategy posted:

didnt that already happen when gun weirdos started shooting at they own dicks?

I thought they were pointing their guns at their junk and posting it to social media to own the libs. A few of them accidentally shot themselves from what I recall.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
"See, guns aren't dangerOW! OH GOD!"

Funniest loving thing ever online.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

"See, guns aren't dangerOW! OH GOD!"

Funniest loving thing ever online.

Reminds me of the classic-

https://youtu.be/lW5Dxizy4ZE

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I'm west side. Harrisburg is just where the NWS station is.

e: (well the airport specifically)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Youtube auto captions translates the crashing sounds as [applause] lol

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

stealie72 posted:

Ugh didn’t think the reason firefighters wear masks would be a hot issue. I remember reading about a person who grew up in a polluted Indian mega city & assumed he had asthma as he had all the symptoms, then upon moving to the US it cleared up and he realized it was just terrible air.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Non zero chance some GOP shithead goes "See this isn't so bad! So that's why we should totally do away with the clean air act restrictions that's hamstringing our job creators!"

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

Non zero chance some GOP shithead goes "See this isn't so bad! So that's why we should totally do away with the clean air act restrictions that's hamstringing our job creators!"
Uh, that chance is 1:1. Some dickhead NY GOP congressman from the southern tier Syracuse was tweeting about AOC's RADICAL GREEN ENERGY PLANS while the AQI was pushing 500 and the news was telling people to stay indoors.

Edit: Found it
https://twitter.com/Brandon4ny22/status/1666159129386156049

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 8, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Wow, where was all this energy when the west coast was suffering through this every summer for most of the summer, for the entire last decade

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Kesper North posted:

Wow, where was all this energy when the west coast was suffering through this every summer for most of the summer, for the entire last decade

we just figured it was the weed yall be smoking

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Oh we're gonna get a replay of chuds on ventilators coughing and hacking and crying " we didn't know" and I will lol

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Kesper North posted:

well you see they are just trying to imitate the west coast. all the cool trends start here.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

ded posted:

well you see they are just trying to imitate the west coast. all the cool trends start here.

*reees in new yawk*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I... don't think this is a thing that actually happened.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1666949426814803973