Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Please, god, just let us get back to basic tournament arcs with clearly understood and meaningful stakes where two people can beat the poo poo out of each other to the brink of death and then two fights later be spotted in the audience wrapped in bandages and drinking beers together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Put a recognizable brand in the mix, I cannot care about the Worm when they lose as many fights as Piccolo. Bring in Cobra or the Foot Clan or Shadaloo, something for God's sake

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Put a recognizable brand in the mix, I cannot care about the Worm when they lose as many fights as Piccolo. Bring in Cobra or the Foot Clan or Shadaloo, something for God's sake

"Did you know Bison got his body vessel idea from the Worm? And Shredder with all his clan were eradicated by the Connector alone. "

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
have mukaku tank everything then die from an unexpected heart attack on account of being 100+

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

have him die of old age. nothing specific, just whenever anyone asks, it was because he got too old.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Losing is an integral part of the worm’s 1,300 year history.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

have him die of old age. nothing specific, just whenever anyone asks, it was because he got too old.

He was too old to live.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the writers sorta forgot that Indestructible doesnt work on the face

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

CharlestonJew posted:

the writers sorta forgot that Indestructible doesnt work on the face

I mean he says that while bleeding

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The first punch wasn't an Ironbreaker and Mukaku's clearly out of Koga's league anyway.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Okay, but why does people knowing where Ryuki is means he has to surrender man this makes so little sense to me

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Artelier posted:

Okay, but why does people knowing where Ryuki is means he has to surrender man this makes so little sense to me

If Ohma and gang take Ryuki away Gaoh loses his bait for the Connector and his plan goes poof.

Is my assumption.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

The first punch wasn't an Ironbreaker and Mukaku's clearly out of Koga's league anyway.

I don't see any reason to assume all those strikes weren't Ironbreakers. Even if Mukaku is crazy strong it isn't like the story hasn't been telling us Koga is at least mid-string for the Kengan Circuit and nobody should reasonably tank headshots like that especially when taking hits to the nose and chin without guarding.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I think Koga still hurt his hands more than Mukaku's face. I don't know what to make of this guy. I kind of like him but I have no idea why there are so many fake outs about him. I'd expect maybe a few more swerves.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Flubby posted:

I just can not care about all these ancient factions and their in-fighting and splinter groups. I do like the connector himself and how strangely chill he is considering what he's all about, but he's the only interesting thing going with the worm.

It will all be worth it if all this naff backstory (and also all that setup about using hypnosis on clones/descendents to make your personality immortal, etc. etc.) just ends with the current "The Connector", Shen Wulong, going "Nah" because he just wants to hang out and eat snacks, drink beers, and watch matches with his new bff Kaz.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

It will all be worth it if all this naff backstory (and also all that setup about using hypnosis on clones/descendents to make your personality immortal, etc. etc.) just ends with the current "The Connector", Shen Wulong, going "Nah" because he just wants to hang out and eat snacks, drink beers, and watch matches with his new bff Kaz.

That's Jackie Wu and not "The Connector" Shen Wulong, though.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Oh. Well dang.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I don't see any reason to assume all those strikes weren't Ironbreakers. Even if Mukaku is crazy strong it isn't like the story hasn't been telling us Koga is at least mid-string for the Kengan Circuit and nobody should reasonably tank headshots like that especially when taking hits to the nose and chin without guarding.

Spoilers for the chapter but I'm just going by the fact that no where on the page does that first one get an Ironbreaker stamp on it and Mukaku doesn't flinch at all. But the next 7 strikes get a reaction out of him.

I just took it as the first one was just a normal punch :shrug:

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Artelier posted:

it's because Ohma was holding him off and keeping him away from where they were keeping Ryuki, but the writer needed him to come to the room with Ryuki so Koga could go off on him like this, and the writer didn't want either him or Ohma to clearly lose their fight

now that he's said "I surrender" and promised to give a little exposition, not only has Ohma brought him to the room where Ryuki is, but Ohma is standing further away from Koga and the defenseless Ryuki than he is. one little phrase, "I surrender", and they've all basically dropped their guard against the guy who fought Ohma evenly and can beat all the rest of them

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Vizuyos posted:

now that he's said "I surrender" and promised to give a little exposition, not only has Ohma brought him to the room where Ryuki is, but Ohma is standing further away from Koga and the defenseless Ryuki than he is. one little phrase, "I surrender", and they've all basically dropped their guard against the guy who fought Ohma evenly and can beat all the rest of them

Oh good point, he did call himself the Prostrate King (lol) afterall

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yum posted:

Oh good point, he did call himself the Prostrate King (lol) afterall

I read it as "Prostate King" on the panel originally.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

fizzy posted:

I read it as "Prostate King" on the panel originally.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, that's definitely the face of a prostate king.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
That's a man just trying to pee a little.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so the story is that a mook and his four subordinates made a completely ineffectual coup attempt. then the lone survivor dedicated his life to being butthurt that this stupid plan didn't work out. so he came up with even stupider plans for revenge against a guy who was brainwashed to think he is the same guy that casually killed a few traitors 50+ years ago.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's no baki, that's for sure.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Warden posted:

Ch 213

Oh for fucks sake, there is no kung-fu bullshit technique bullshit enough to let you tank a straight punch with your nose.

Did you forget about Saw Paings skull training already?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

or even when Koga was hitting people early on

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

There's no kung fu bullshit technique or mix of steroids that will let someone punch their fingers through solid steel or stone or be able to physically dominate an F1 race car, either.

Kengan has always relied on fantasy nonsense techniques, it just cloaks them in pseudo-realistic terminology to ground them a little.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I understand not liking this arc but as the previous poster said it's nothing new

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

Did you forget about Saw Paings skull training already?

Just to put that in context, Saw is exceptional in his bone defense because he did that kind of training from age 6. He's also the only fighter who can claim bone rigidity as his defensive gimmick.

Here we're being told that Mukaku is using indestructible to mitigate the damage from being punched in the mouth so unless the argument is he tanked that with his lips this is another time where the Niko style swerves into stupid kung fu magic territory. Which is something I have and will continue to bemoan because I want to like the Niko style but stuff like this keeps happening with regularity.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Kanos posted:

There's no kung fu bullshit technique or mix of steroids that will let someone punch their fingers through solid steel or stone or be able to physically dominate an F1 race car, either.

Kengan has always relied on fantasy nonsense techniques, it just cloaks them in pseudo-realistic terminology to ground them a little.

That stuff is mostly being done out of combat to show off, though. Julius is tough to hurt, but there's no "your fists must pack more force than an F1 racecar to even give him a bloody nose or bruise" requirement in battle. Gensai can punch holes in steel and block bullets at close range, but when he's actually in the ring, he's not ripping people to shreds with superhuman strength and senses, he's just really good at martial arts.

Indestructible in particular has gotten a lot more silly as the series has gone on. It started out as "slightly reduces the damage of blows, giving an excuse for why Ohma can endure so much getting the poo poo beaten out of him", and after a while it became "ha ha, you broke your fist on my face because I tightened my muscles up a bit, shouldn't have underestimated THE NIKO STYLE".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rihito's entire fighting style is ripping people to pieces with super strong fingers in the ring, and Julius has specifically never had a real fight against someone who isn't literally a genetic superman with 10x human strength or a guy who is almost as much of an impossible meat mountain as he is.

The protagonist's powerup function for the entirety of the first series was consciously making his heart beat really fast so he had more blood pumping through his body so he had super strength and speed.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 11, 2023

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Remember when Sasuke vanished in the ring because he was faster then the human eye

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

remember the guy who could throw you without grabbing you

it's not as out there and magical as the other stuff that's been mentioned but you should remember it anyway because it was fuckin tight

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Vizuyos posted:

That stuff is mostly being done out of combat to show off, though. Julius is tough to hurt, but there's no "your fists must pack more force than an F1 racecar to even give him a bloody nose or bruise" requirement in battle. Gensai can punch holes in steel and block bullets at close range, but when he's actually in the ring, he's not ripping people to shreds with superhuman strength and senses, he's just really good at martial arts.

Indestructible in particular has gotten a lot more silly as the series has gone on. It started out as "slightly reduces the damage of blows, giving an excuse for why Ohma can endure so much getting the poo poo beaten out of him", and after a while it became "ha ha, you broke your fist on my face because I tightened my muscles up a bit, shouldn't have underestimated THE NIKO STYLE".

Gensai punches holes in multiple people lol

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Gensai's trick to beat the advance and thus win Kengan Ashura was to Devil Lance Ohma's thigh so that using advance would cause him to bleed out. Gaoh has at least been more fun than other worms but he feels a bit too strong to keep living unfortunately.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Did a quick reread of the Kengan vs Purgatory tournament, Lu Tian's martial art style was the Wuwang Fist and he was known as the Centipede. How did they not immediately suspect him as a worm lol. Also, Naidan all but spelled it out in his fight vs Ryuki. Called him the last child and the Connector and everything. The brainwashing stuff is supposed to start when the recipient is a child, but as an adult, Ryuki is pretty susceptible to brainwashing so I guess it's moot. Is Ohma just a spare? I guess he's the project of the Other Niko. And I'm assuming that the Tiger Vessel = the Connector-to-be? Or is the Tiger Vessel supposed to be the recipient of the Niko style?

yum fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 13, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

yum posted:

Did a quick reread of the Kengan vs Purgatory tournament, Lu Tian's martial art style was the Wuwang Fist and he was known as the Centipede. How did they not immediately suspect him as a worm lol. Also, Naidan all but spelled it out in his fight vs Ryuki. Called him the last child and the Connector and everything. The brainwashing stuff is supposed to start when the recipient is a child, but as an adult, Ryuki is pretty susceptible to brainwashing so I guess it's moot. Is Ohma just a spare? I guess he's the project of the Other Niko. And I'm assuming that the Tiger Vessel = the Connector-to-be? Or is the Tiger Vessel supposed to be the recipient of the Niko style?

Isn't Ohma older than Ryuki? I forget honestly, if Ohma is older than he is likely a "failure" for some reason or another, chucked into the inside for whatever worm reasons, probably to see what would happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

Isn't Ohma older than Ryuki? I forget honestly, if Ohma is older than he is likely a "failure" for some reason or another, chucked into the inside for whatever worm reasons, probably to see what would happen.
I'm getting some weird metal gear solid vibes from the plot. Shen Wulong is supposed to be a clone of the original connector but he has blonde hair while the original has black like Ohma and Ryuki. Mukaku said that cloning has failures so either the current connector is a failure himself as well or he dyes his hair. There also shouldn't be any new clones so the heart given to Ohma had to have come from an older clone than either Ryuki or Ohma.