Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1667896395804622848?t=z8bdDTWAj-FW9ivri4rqWw&s=19

Imagine Cannon further tarnishing her reputation and entire career for someone who may not be around in 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Her attempt at blunting the special master failed laughably spectacularly. I doubt Cannon suddenly became a legal wiz kid.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1667896395804622848?t=z8bdDTWAj-FW9ivri4rqWw&s=19

Imagine Cannon further tarnishing her reputation and entire career for someone who may not be around in 5 years.

She’s appointed for life. She doesn’t have to care about her reputation, and if she spikes this for trump, some republican president down the road is going to put her on an appellate circuit or scotus.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You're assuming that any of those people will exhibit things like "loyalty" or "object permanence" instead of immediately unpersoning the whole decade the year he finally keels over and only occasionally magaing when it polls well.

Recent history shows that as soon as your utility is over you're done.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
As perversely fun as it can be to catastrophize well in advance of events unfolding one way or another, it's not great for your mental health, folks. I swear some of y'all would take news of him being pronounced dead of severe cerebral hemorrhage to post "this is it, good things can't happen, he's going to rise from the grave in three days and humanity will embrace him as a new messiah".

You don't need to be optimistic and it doesn't hurt to acknowledge and prepare yourselves for the potential bad outcome, but embracing it as a hopeless certainty helps no one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

How do you not recuse yourself from a case presiding over the person who assigned you to the job in the first place?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cugel the Clever posted:

As perversely fun as it can be to catastrophize well in advance of events unfolding one way or another, it's not great for your mental health, folks. I swear some of y'all would take news of him being pronounced dead of severe cerebral hemorrhage to post "this is it, good things can't happen, he's going to rise from the grave in three days and humanity will embrace him as a new messiah".

You don't need to be optimistic and it doesn't hurt to acknowledge and prepare yourselves for the potential bad outcome, but embracing it as a hopeless certainty helps no one.

I'm the first to roll my eyes at doomers but Cannon really is that overtly pro-Trump.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Crab Dad posted:

How do you not recuse yourself from a case presiding over the person who assigned you to the job in the first place?

The judge over Florida v Disney recused himself because a relative owned like 30 shares of Disney stock.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

What are you, my therapist? Get hosed, buddy. :love:

I agree with you- I think everyone is burnt out from feeling spun up so many times, and that plays a part.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Damnit, all the cool people are assholes: https://thedirect.com/article/black-panther-2-tenoch-huerta-sexual-assault-accused

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

She’s appointed for life. She doesn’t have to care about her reputation, and if she spikes this for trump, some republican president down the road is going to put her on an appellate circuit or scotus.

Yeah, everything I've read is that conservative judges basically think that being a federal judge sucks. The only thing making it worth the gig is the 1% of cases they get where they can make policy and the percentage raises as they reach circuit/supreme status. It's really not known what makes Cannon tick, but it's clear that she's an idiot and also didn't care about her legal arguments being garbage.

But echoing what others have said, it's also not worth pre-doomering any of this stuff nor being the resistance libby THEY GOT HIM NOW type. Just chill and know that the case is very solid, unlike the NY bullshit, and there are still some counters for Chudgy bullshit (J6 DC, Georgia, etc).

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

I mean no harm but definitely couldn't stop myself from laughing at the phrase "Mexican saxophonist and renowned activist"

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I still hold that judge Cannon’s actions were far simpler than some conspiracy to blatantly try to throw the previous trial for Trump. I think it was as likely as she was relatively inexperienced, suddenly caught up in the spotlight, as a Federalist Society MAGA judge had some loyalties but also might just be loyal to the country and her job a bit, too. She got scared and had no loving clue how to judge a case so big and tried to shimmy the act of “appearing” neutral by appointing a special master to take the onus of responsibility off of her. Why do I believe this? Her decision read so obviously like someone doing literally everything they could to “stay in the gray.” She then got her poo poo pushed in super hard while also certainly being pressured very hard by Trump’s side and thus tried to help him in the slightest way possible by not agreeing with the special master’s time table.

I am certain that as soon as the inevitable appeal process started she was relieved to no longer be responsible for the case’s outcome.

She’s just an inexperienced cowardly dunce who never expected to be in front of the entire nation. I don’t expect much at all from her, but I definitely don’t expect her to have the guts to outwardly throw the trial for trump.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

At this point disney should just plan to recast everyone in every movie. It'll be hard to get big names without long contracts but they can spin it as something like "paying homage to the changes in comic books when a new artist takes over" or something.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

CommieGIR posted:

The problem is that Cannon isn't exactly a brilliant legal genius, her last attempt to do so got appealed and smacked so fast the appeal order practically eviscerated her ruling.

That's the problem with appointing spinless idiots to lower positions, they tend not to be very smart.

That’s not very reassuring though but maybe it saves us in the end. Like maybe this is the silver lining that saves the nation. I’m still gonna be shook that it might come down to how dumb the corrupt judge is at being corrupt and, not just being dumb in general, but being actionably dumb as gently caress. All in a legal sense too.

I feel like Russian roulette has better odds, idk.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah, everything I've read is that conservative judges basically think that being a federal judge sucks. The only thing making it worth the gig is the 1% of cases they get where they can make policy and the percentage raises as they reach circuit/supreme status. It's really not known what makes Cannon tick, but it's clear that she's an idiot and also didn't care about her legal arguments being garbage.

But echoing what others have said, it's also not worth pre-doomering any of this stuff nor being the resistance libby THEY GOT HIM NOW type. Just chill and know that the case is very solid, unlike the NY bullshit, and there are still some counters for Chudgy bullshit (J6 DC, Georgia, etc).

Imma try fam but imma need a lotta weed to keep it level, ngl. Smoke em if you got em.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

TheWeedNumber posted:

Smoke em if you got em.

Correct!

At worst, this will all be very funny and completely destroy the facade of legitimacy "the system" has had, so win-win.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

I still hold that judge Cannon’s actions were far simpler than some conspiracy to blatantly try to throw the previous trial for Trump. I think it was as likely as she was relatively inexperienced, suddenly caught up in the spotlight, as a Federalist Society MAGA judge had some loyalties but also might just be loyal to the country and her job a bit, too. She got scared and had no loving clue how to judge a case so big and tried to shimmy the act of “appearing” neutral by appointing a special master to take the onus of responsibility off of her. Why do I believe this? Her decision read so obviously like someone doing literally everything they could to “stay in the gray.” She then got her poo poo pushed in super hard while also certainly being pressured very hard by Trump’s side and thus tried to help him in the slightest way possible by not agreeing with the special master’s time table.

I am certain that as soon as the inevitable appeal process started she was relieved to no longer be responsible for the case’s outcome.

She’s just an inexperienced cowardly dunce who never expected to be in front of the entire nation. I don’t expect much at all from her, but I definitely don’t expect her to have the guts to outwardly throw the trial for trump.

I agree with this. To me it felt like that whole episode was her bending over backwards to not be the one making decisions against Trump. Which is an important distinction from making decisions for Trump.

Which doesn't mean she doesn't suck, but it does mean I expect her to suck in the more normal, appealable, sort of ways instead of some sort of crazy overtly throwing the trial.

Furthermore, a situation that extreme feels like the sort of edge case that produces new case law. So I'm not ready to take for granted a "one weird trick" move would actually work. A judge overtly covering very obvious crimes for the president who appointed them is getting into constitutional crisis territory.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Midjack posted:

At this point disney should just plan to recast everyone in every movie. It'll be hard to get big names without long contracts but they can spin it as something like "paying homage to the changes in comic books when a new artist takes over" or something.

Still insane to me how Warner Brothers still decided to release The Flash even after it came out that its star, Ezra Miller, is a total piece of poo poo and a grooming predator. I do wonder what’s going to happen to Jonathan Major’s career as well.

Seems like a lot of male celebs are just straight garbage people. Except for Keanu, of course.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Still insane to me how Warner Brothers still decided to release The Flash even after it came out that its star, Ezra Miller, is a total piece of poo poo and a grooming predator. I do wonder what’s going to happen to Jonathan Major’s career as well.

Seems like a lot of male celebs are just straight garbage people. Except for Keanu, of course.

I heard he once took two swizzle sticks instead of one for his coffee at Starbucks.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Blind Rasputin posted:

ok im gonna probably need to smoke a lil less weed after missing this on pass one of the thread, glad jarmak quoted you fam

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

pantslesswithwolves posted:

And Johnny Knoxville apparently as i learned from this thread

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

That Works posted:

And Johnny Knoxville apparently as i learned from this thread

is alan alda still a good man?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

And Bruce Dickinson, but he's less a man than some kind of demigod

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

And Bruce Dickinson, but he's less a man than some kind of demigod

Flying your own tour around on a jumbo jet is some next level poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

Given how viciously the appeals court ripped apart her decision about the Special Master, it wasn't a conspiracy but she knew what she was doing and got called out for it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah her actions were 100% pro trump and not remotely in a grey area.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Crab Dad posted:

I heard he once took two swizzle sticks instead of one for his coffee at Starbucks.

drat he can dual wield irl

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Has Robert Downey Jr been caught up in anything yet? I can't believe a dude who was blitzed much of his life didn't do something sketch along the way.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

not caring here posted:

Has Robert Downey Jr been caught up in anything yet? I can't believe a dude who was blitzed much of his life didn't do something sketch along the way.

Some people just get hosed up as a coping mechanism. It doesn't have to be exploitative, every time. I hope, dude seems alright

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Terrence Howard got replaced by Don Cheadle and absolutely nobody gave a gently caress, this guy will get replaced too

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Listening to local radio, apparently that section of 95 that collapsed had a gasoline tanker truck on fire under it right before it went down. Also this:

quote:

After the fire started, explosions could be heard in surrounding neighborhoods, including reports of manhole coverings being blown off. The Philadelphia Fire Department said its investigating to determine if the incident could have compromised extra fuel or gas lines in the area.

So have fun with that!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Bill Barr said on FOX that Trump is "toast" if even half of the information in the indictment is accurate. This did not sit well:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1667979930813059078

How long until either J6 or Georgia comes calling, again?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CBJSprague24 posted:

How long until either J6 or Georgia comes calling, again?

J6 is unknown, everyone thought the DC Grand Jury was handling the classified documents case and J6 at the same time. They just subpoenaed Bannon, so could be close or nearing end, could be months.

Georgia charging decision is apparently August, per what DA Fani Willis is saying.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

TheWeedNumber posted:

is alan alda still a good man?

Yes. He has very thoughtful podcast nowadays. I think I remember Mandy Patinkin being known as #blessed too

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Alan Alda is a national treasure.

Yes, I watch a lot of M*A*S*H. Why do you ask? :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Freudian slippers posted:

Berlusconi finally snuffed it: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/italy-silvio-berlusconi-dead_n_6486dabce4b06725aee0c5fc

About 80 years too late, but better late than never!

And yet Kissinger still lives.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
lol the Trump cases have been great so far and everyone predicting pure doom and gloom are reading tea leaves. Unbelievably this has already done significant damage to Trump and his reputation and will continue to be harmful as every prior accomplice comes out to vote yea or nae on saving him. Gotta wanter what DeSantis has got brewing behind the scenes, looking to poison the well for everyone that could give Trump a hand.

Like sure, relying on the system to deal with Trump is putting all your eggs in one basket, but they have to make something of an effort to legitimize the decisions, or the world is going to move away from the USA with a hurry. I realize stupid conservatives probably dont think that will matter but it will, and if things here are so hopeless as some believe, then at least the world will get to see exactly how hosed ip things are in black and white.

I personally don't think he's gonna walk because of the nature of these crimes. Its not a problem involving one person or one town, hes loving with nuclear secrets and capabilities that directly effect our ability to fight in a full scale war. Its probably one of the only thinfs that could have evoked any kind of consequence, and there is a lot of time between now and the start of the trial for Trump to dig his hole deeper

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 12, 2023

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

CommieGIR posted:

And yet Kissinger still lives.

because Kissinger is a vampiric parasite existing off the blood and emotions of the young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/TIME/status/1668083952039362561?t=DkUxxoP64DZcTONQhog6Eg&s=19

:thunk:

:thunkher:

:thunkin: