Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

buglord posted:

Trying to help my buddy pick out a new wireless router to work with his Netgear CM500 modem ( https://www.netgear.com/support/product/cm500#docs) His maximum download speeds have been in the low 100s, and this modem supposedly covers up to 680mpbs, so this should be fine still?

However, his ISP recently doubled the speed of their baseline plan to 200 and now he can’t get over ~95 when connected to the wireless router either by Ethernet or wireless. That router is the TP-Link AC1200 (https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-a5/). That brings up a question, shouldn’t that more than cover his current internet speeds anyway, even if he he’s theoretically using only the 2.4ghz signal? Or is there some funny math things that router manufacturers do where a rated speed has to be divided by X factor and that’s your real speed or something? I get that theoretical is a different beast than reality, but this seems far off. Something seems real obvious here but I don’t network well.

Also he lives in a smaller 650sq ft apartment with his girlfriend, so it’s not like 4 iPads and 2 computers and a console are hammering the connection at once with Netflix/game downloads.

Having fallen into a lot of troubleshooting and getting mad at Comcast in a similar situation, my first piece of advice would be to check the ethernet cable between the modem and router. I seemed to be stuck at less than 100mbps when my service should have been faster, and it turned out I had used an old ethernet cable only capable of running at 100mbps to connect my modem and router. I changed the cable and my speeds jumped to where they should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How did I completely overlook that, good lord. I’ll confirm with my buddy rn. Thank you!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Three Olives posted:

Wait, are they going to try and create a 200 AP mesh network? lol.

Unless someone knows something I don't know, literarly the only reason to use eero is when you are creating a residential mesh network.
No idea about Eero in particular but since a most of those residential mesh systems use a cloud backend for control it's not hard for them to offer an ISP-managed solution. For single family home users that's mostly a convenience thing, but in MDUs the ability to even just coordinate frequencies and power levels can be significant.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Yeah I dunno but they can just turn the mesh off and have each unit be stand alone. I think my wife mentioned that they mentioned the eeros have better remote management and channel deconfliction logic.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

namlosh posted:

So what’s the current best approach to having a VPN into my network so I can access local resources from anywhere?
I have:
UDMPRO running 6.2 unifios and the latest firmware
Lots of vlans set up to segregate everything and put crappy iot stuff in jail with no internet
Pi’s sitting around that I can use if it makes sense. I even have a usb3 network adapter to give a pi another network interface

I’m not really trying to stream anything too much, just want to be able to hit my local home assistant server and mess around with my homelab stuff.

Clients would be iOS or windows mostly

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BPSGJN7T

You are probably more interested in getting a Wireguard config working, I ended up buying this for native Tailscale but it also supports Wireguard natively.

It's great, USB C power, small, can wire tether to an iPhone for data, repeat another WiFi network. Plug it in, connect it to the local WiFi and it automatically VPNs into my home network. Basically it gives me my home network anywhere with no on device configurations of clients connected to it, they just see the home network as their local network.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Is anybody else's unifi app not showing their udm online? Routing and Internet work and I can get to the local portal through chrome. Not sure if it's me or if some service on their end broke.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Three Olives posted:

You are probably more interested in getting a Wireguard config working, I ended up buying this for native Tailscale but it also supports Wireguard natively.

It's great, USB C power, small, can wire tether to an iPhone for data, repeat another WiFi network. Plug it in, connect it to the local WiFi and it automatically VPNs into my home network. Basically it gives me my home network anywhere with no on device configurations of clients connected to it, they just see the home network as their local network.

Interesting, thx for the suggestion!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah I dunno but they can just turn the mesh off and have each unit be stand alone. I think my wife mentioned that they mentioned the eeros have better remote management and channel deconfliction logic.

They should be deploying an enterprise AP solution, not a consumer one. There are a ton out there with actual decent remote management and channel management that isn't a consumer product that's been rejiggered to work in their use case.

Hell, even the "eero for business" site states "eero for Business is intended for use by small and medium sized businesses to support up to 100 connected devices. Benefits and features may vary based on product configuration."

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Sure but that’s assuming a single eero network. Sounds like each unit will have its own eero base station.

Not the design I would go with but it isn’t that much different than every unit having its own ISP provided router, which is how the vast majority of apartments are set up. They are just using an eero instead of your typical ISP branded device.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Cyks posted:

Sure but that’s assuming a single eero network. Sounds like each unit will have its own eero base station.

Not the design I would go with but it isn’t that much different than every unit having its own ISP provided router, which is how the vast majority of apartments are set up. They are just using an eero instead of your typical ISP branded device.

It's a super weird choice if that is what they are doing because it is not an enterprise solution and basically the only reason you would pay a premium price for an eero router is if you were planning on deploying a mesh network.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Actually, digging into it, it does appear that there's a version of Eero for service providers, which allows both the end user and service provider access to manage the unit. However, the marketing material seems to be geared more for ISPs and single family homes, not high density apartment buildings.

https://eero.com/esp

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I think each units needs to be its own SSID for tracking purposes? In that case 100, 200, 1000 eeros wouldn't matter if each one is stand alone since that's basically how a tenant managed building would be like anyway right?

If each unit has its own SSID and unique passphrase then it forces each tenant to use connect all their devices to their unit's AP. Not sure all the pro/cons with that.

Also there's common areas like a gym and pool. Not sure how the common area wifi is handled if at all.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Three Olives posted:

It's a super weird choice if that is what they are doing because it is not an enterprise solution and basically the only reason you would pay a premium price for an eero router is if you were planning on deploying a mesh network.

It’s a company that installed 200 asus consumer routers the first go around.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

If it were enterprise , that apartments credentials would put it on that apartment network . Some poo poo will need an open network or WEP to work though breaking that model. 250 close proximity 2.4GHz APs with their own SSIDs shooting out low rate beacon frames sounds like it is going to work like trash regardless of what brand is on the box.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Partycat posted:

If it were enterprise , that apartments credentials would put it on that apartment network . Some poo poo will need an open network or WEP to work though breaking that model. 250 close proximity 2.4GHz APs with their own SSIDs shooting out low rate beacon frames sounds like it is going to work like trash regardless of what brand is on the box.

I mean, that is the situation in any apartment building, regardless of if the router is supplied by the building or Spectrum.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Would RF blocking outer walls and doors help at all? That's probably not a real thing tho right. Not any builder would even be thinking about.

edit: lol probably better to solve with network arch.

Also is there a threshold of number of units where it gets really bad quicker? Im assuming the quality scale isn't linear with number of units.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 16, 2023

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Regardless if its 20 units or 500, There’s only so many 1000sq units that can be physically close to you. 5ghz band with a channel width of 40mhz and DFS support would be sufficient to cover everyone with little to no impactful overlap.

Now getting everyone to play nice…

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Shaocaholica posted:

Would RF blocking outer walls and doors help at all? That's probably not a real thing tho right. Not any builder would even be thinking about.

edit: lol probably better to solve with network arch.

Also is there a threshold of number of units where it gets really bad quicker? Im assuming the quality scale isn't linear with number of units.

Dense walls exist but people tend to get mad about cell service too so eh

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Dense walls exist but people tend to get mad about cell service too so eh

We live in a 1400 sqft house with 7 APs (One of them outside), literally one for every room in the house.

We struggled for years with just absolutely poo poo wifi, until someone enlightened us that are walls, if they are like other houses built in the same time period in our neighborhood, a combination of wood, plaster and chickenwire making basically every room in our house a faraday cage.

And yes, we get absolute poo poo cellphone service in the house, 1-2 bars at best.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Three Olives posted:

We live in a 1400 sqft house with 7 APs (One of them outside), literally one for every room in the house.

We struggled for years with just absolutely poo poo wifi, until someone enlightened us that are walls, if they are like other houses built in the same time period in our neighborhood, a combination of wood, plaster and chickenwire making basically every room in our house a faraday cage.

And yes, we get absolute poo poo cellphone service in the house, 1-2 bars at best.

Oh yeah I just mean I would not intentionally build signal blocking exterior walls no matter how much I would like to

I think the most ridiculous wifi signal/wall relates thing I've seen was at work when someone was upset that they didn't have good signal on the other side of their 6 inch thick honest to god stone wall between the part of the building they lived in and their garage

Aggressive Nap
Jun 9, 2023

buglord posted:

How did I completely overlook that, good lord. I’ll confirm with my buddy rn. Thank you!

Also that router only has a 10/100 Mbps wan port. So you're going to need a different router to get above that.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Aggressive Nap posted:

Also that router only has a 10/100 Mbps wan port. So you're going to need a different router to get above that.

So the CAT6 cable didn’t solve the problem. However I went to goodwill to look for cheap jackets and picked up a gigabit surfboard modem for $10 and two medium-tier Wi-Fi 6 routers for $10 a pop. They’ve all been power tested. Gonna reset them and then give one of the routers to my friend after it’s been cleared.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Aredna posted:

Thanks!

It looks like using multiple SFP+ Ethernet adapters next to each other are not recommended due to heat concerns.

I only 100% require 1 to be Ethernet. If I want to set the other ports up on something else knowing I can put whatever NIC is required in target devices - is fiber my best choice?

Distance really doesn't matter for current reqs - 2-3m at most. Long term I can't see anything being more than 20-30m from the switch.

You might look into a used Force10 S4810P off of eBay. I have one in my house for my cabinet in my garage and as a feeder through the house. I use primarily fiber but the 48 SFP+ ports means that I can use Ethernet SFPs without bunching them up and having heat be a thing.

I also unplugged the 40mm fans and cut holes in the top of the case for two 120mm fans and the unit runs cooler and quieter than before. But I lose 1U to do it.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I've got a weird router issue that I cannot figure out. I have an Asus RT-AC88u that I've had for about two years and was working just fine until a month or so ago. We have a ton of devices that connect on both 2.4ghz/5ghz, lot of smart home stuff like security cameras, smart oven, phones, kid's devices, TVs etc. About a month ago a small subset of those devices started to not be able to connect or connect but not grab an IP for no discernible reason. I would say 85% of our stuff connects fine every time with no problem, but these others if they go off the network or are restarted cannot connect when they try again unless I reboot the router. The devices are an iphone, a macbook, a new windows desktop, an extremely old windows laptop, a chromebook, and intermittently a newish sony smart TV (the smart TV doesn't exhibit this behavior as frequently as the others it only sometimes has this issue.) For each of those devices that are having issues we have at least one other of the same device that works fine every time so I can't seem to narrow anything down to something specific about those devices. It's very annoying having to reboot the router every time somebody needs to connect one of those devices, especially when almost everything else is working fine. Anybody have any suggestions on things to look at or try?

Second question is we just got Google Fiber available in our neighborhood so I am going to switch us off Spectrum because they can go gently caress themselves forever. I noticed they offer the google wifi mesh thing with your install if you want it but I am not really sure if it would be a good option? I've always preferred using my own equipment where possible and this router we have now has been really great for most of the time we have had it, almost never had to reboot it until this recent issue. I was thinking if I can't figure out this current issue I'd just buy a new router but I guess another option would be to just get the Google Mesh wifi stuff with our install. Anybody have opinions on how that is or if it is worth getting?

Edit: I should also mention about the issue. There were no settings or firmware or anything else changed at all. The issue just started one day.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 17, 2023

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

What's the point of the single 2.5GB port? NAS performance?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Possible a too small dhcp pool with too long of a lease time being ate up by devices using random MAC addresses? Or the service could just be failing.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

LRADIKAL posted:

Good question. Wish I knew. My included mesh system is all like that. The 2.5gig gets the cable from the ONT... and now I am stuck* with gigabit for all my physical networking.

*stuck in only the loosest of terms, I only have gigabit networking throughout the house so I'd need to drop new cables and buy new switches to even take advantage of 2.5 gig lan.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

LRADIKAL posted:

Honestly no idea, it's a neat but kind of weird product. The 2.5gb port is the WAN port and it's WiFi6, so theoretically you could be pulling 1gb from the LAN and another 1gb+ off the WiFi.

Wireguard, Tailscale, commercial VPN support, Adguard, built-in through the native interface, it's just a native OpenWrt with a really user friendly interface on top, but you can drop into the full OpenWrt interface.

I did some testing on some local networks but now that I am out of town officially, connected a Chomecast with GoogleTV to the router, router connected my phone WiFi hotspot and Hulu Live works fine and all the IP information points to my home network, so it works.

El Jebus posted:

Good question. Wish I knew. My included mesh system is all like that. The 2.5gig gets the cable from the ONT... and now I am stuck* with gigabit for all my physical networking.

*stuck in only the loosest of terms, I only have gigabit networking throughout the house so I'd need to drop new cables and buy new switches to even take advantage of 2.5 gig lan.

Native switch, it's 2.5Gb in and that is split across the native ports, so two ports could be pulling 1gb each.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 18, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

El Jebus posted:

You shouldn't need new cables for 2.5 gig unless you ran horrible barely compliant cat 5-not-E.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Twerk from Home posted:

You shouldn't need new cables for 2.5 gig unless you ran horrible barely compliant cat 5-not-E.

Ah, I thought cat5e was good up to a gig. House was wired with 5e back in the 00s when it was built, before we bought it. Terribly placed, too.

Three Olives posted:

Native switch, it's 2.5Gb in and that is split across the native ports, so two ports could be pulling 1gb each.

I misread what your use case was!

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

El Jebus posted:

Ah, I thought cat5e was good up to a gig. House was wired with 5e back in the 00s when it was built, before we bought it. Terribly placed, too.

Run length matters too. I believe the specs describe the speed you are guaranteed to get at 100m, but it's not common to actually have ethernet runs that long, and the shorter it is the more likely it'll be stable enough to hit a higher speed. Even without that you might still manage better than advertised if there's very little interference and/or you get particularly lucky.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Preface: I'm good with computers in general but I'm dumb as a rock when it comes to networking more complicated than DHCP reservations. I'm surely going to leave something out and my questions may be vague.

I'm looking for a new router and WiFi hardware. Our home network has started getting more complicated in the past couple months - we've started having a need for camera supervision of our dogs, I've finally got my media poo poo together with Plex, and we're discovering the joys of Home Assistant. We've also got a burning desire to keep our IOT garbage inaccessible to the internet at large. Our home is served by Google Fiber and we've gotten by so far with the Google-provided router but the router's options are lacking. It has one (1) LAN port and very little in the way of configurability. I can assign DHCP reservations but that's pretty much the end of it. No ability to tell it "this MAC address is not allowed to see the internet"

My house is wired with Cat6. The area I need to cover is fairly small at 1500sqft of single-story house + backyard. The network topology is simple:

code:
1gbps WAN -> Google Mesh Router + WiFi -> 8 port switch
                                         |
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  |        |          |                |                       |                |        |
AppleTV  Server  Synology NAS  Lutron Caseta Bridge   Media Center Computer   free     free

Usual WiFi clients:
  * 2 iphones
  * 2 laptops (personal)
  * 1 laptop (work)
  * nintendo switch
  * TP-Link cameras
  * various ESP iot gadgets I've bodged together
It isn't very complicated but since it's growing and needs securing I figure I should do this up right. To that end I've been eyeballing UniFi products. They're pricey but they seem like quality and honestly I'll pay for "cannot gently caress it up." Would a UDM Pro gateway + a U6 WiFi access point fit the bill? They don't require cloud access to set up and maintain, do they? I couldn't tell from the website.

Thanks for any help!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's a very classic network design called "router-on-stick" where you have one LAN port connected to a L2 or L3 switch, and then the switch is responsible for, well, switching traffic between the LAN devices, whereas the router does the actual routing (and firewalling) - and it's effectively what you get in any router with more than a couple ports, because it's such a simple design it's very hard to gently caress up.

It seems to me that the UDM Pro would do very well for what you're hoping to have it do, and with the SFP+ ports, you can even add one or more switches.
If you add a switch with PoE (or, better yet, use the PoE ports on the device, and add a switch for all other devices), you also have the option of doing Power-over-Ethernet for the unifi cameras which can record onto the storage that you can install into the UDM Pro - similar to how the access point you linked can be do power-over-ethernet.

Do also remember to make liberal use of VLANs - one for management, one for regular devices you trust, one for home surveillance, one for IoT devices you don't trust, one for guests if you end up using the hotspot functionality, and so on and so forth.

They don't require cloud access at all (though, if memory serves, you have to explicitly tell it that you don't want it).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 20, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Noob question so maybe this is dumb.

Should I run SSL/TLS https etc on my LAN?

I don't have anything exposed outside the LAN and have a tailscale exit node running off of the router itself and that's backed with 2fa. But, just for futzing around on the lan internally I didn't know if implementing https was good practice or totally unnecessary.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Yeah sorry if this is not the place but I suspect my TP Link ac1200 is on the fritz, restarting a bunch (we had the cable company over a couple times and it hasn't fixed it and they suggested the router could be to blame). I have 500 megabit plan, so I'm wondering what would be a good replacement router that doesn't break the bank?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Oh hell yes!

It was originally 3 Gbps, then they bumped it to 6 Gbps. Now it's 10 Gbps symmetrical!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fletcher posted:

Oh hell yes!

It was originally 3 Gbps, then they bumped it to 6 Gbps. Now it's 10 Gbps symmetrical!

How much are you paying for that? That's wild.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Twerk from Home posted:

How much are you paying for that? That's wild.

It's steep, $300/mo! Considering the cost savings of moving a colocated server back home though, it's *slightly* more reasonable. But still expensive and overkill for what I need. I hope the price comes down eventually with more competition. It's nice having the reliability of a business connection when WFH though, it kept working even through a power outage in the area. You don't violate any service agreements by running servers on it as well, which is great!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

That Works posted:

Noob question so maybe this is dumb.

Should I run SSL/TLS https etc on my LAN?

I don't have anything exposed outside the LAN and have a tailscale exit node running off of the router itself and that's backed with 2fa. But, just for futzing around on the lan internally I didn't know if implementing https was good practice or totally unnecessary.

I personally don't if I can get away with it. However, some applications that I had hosted internally required it (bitwarden, and a couple of others). At the beginning I just went with letsencrypt that was a pain to setup since the host was not visible outside the network (and I didn't wanna expose it either) and was a pain to maintain since it needed to use my domain provider's APIs and those are only available from a certain IP you configure and my ip was changing every few months.

After a while I just went with making my own Certificate Authority and just signing certificates for whatever hosts I needed and solved the problem once and for all. And with that I learned that chrome on Android does not like it when the certificate expires in 10 years (too long expiration time). Meh, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Be funny if they still had you on the 1tb data limit.