Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Was there anyone else on both Sliders and B5 other than Peter Jurassic?

Jerry Doyle did an early Season 5 episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Now that looks interesting :allears:

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

MikusR posted:

Who was that at the end?

G'kar

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

In that case i hope there are accessibility subs that identify speaker or Amazon x-ray support.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah...

I knew who it was supposed to be, but dammit that just doesn't look or sound like G'Kar to me. :(

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Q_res posted:

Yeah...

I knew who it was supposed to be, but dammit that just doesn't look or sound like G'Kar to me. :(

Agreed. I think from the trailer material he's going to suffer from the changed voice actor and animated stylization the worst. But that's probably inevitable when you're trying to replicate Andreas Katsulas' vocal and screen presence.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Not a fan at all of how this looks. I pre-ordered anyways because I want to support Babylon 5, but I have really low expectations.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Took me a couple viewings of the trailer to figure out what wasn't jiving with me. It's the cinematogrpahy.

Not a single shot feels like a natural camera angle, it's constantly either too high or too low or some random slight angle but it doesn't seem like they're going for a literal Dutch Angle and the whole thing just keeps me from reading the characters as actual characters instead of just polygonal masses. Which is just at total odds with the camera work in B5 that I want more of.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Was there anyone else on both Sliders and B5 other than Peter Jurassic?

https://www.imdb.com/search/name/?roles=tt0105946,tt0112167

Actually a lot. Robert Englund, Michael York, Ken Jenkins, Julie Caitlin Brown, Jerry Doyle...

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

But that's probably inevitable when you're trying to replicate Andreas Katsulas' vocal and screen presence.

You're not going to get close so it's probably best not to try too hard.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
the bit where he asks about tachyons has a bit of "Did this have shellfish in it?" energy

g'kar got some popped collars

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It looks fun! The Franklin, Delenn and Zathras recasts sound fine, but G'Kar... not so much. But I'm sure he'll do just fine, he just has the hardest act to follow up on.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

It looks fun! The Franklin, Delenn and Zathras recasts sound fine, but G'Kar... not so much. But I'm sure he'll do just fine, he just has the hardest act to follow up on.

Yeah, Paul Guyet is the guy who's doing both Sinclair and Zathras. He nailed Sinclair, and his Zathras sounds really good.

G'Kar didn't sound anything like Katsulas, but Katsulas had such a mellifluous timbre to his voice that's really difficult to emulate. (Just like how Star Wars video games have had a ... rough history of finding soundalikes for Harrison Ford.)

Timby fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 16, 2023

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Phil LaMarr sounds very much like Phil LaMarr to me rather than Franklin.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Iymarra posted:

Phil LaMarr sounds very much like Phil LaMarr to me rather than Franklin.

I mean, paying close attention now that I'm home and not watching this on a bus, he sounds like Phil LaMarr doing a Franklin voice, at least.

I would've guessed the Narn at the end was Ta'Lon. (Ta'Lon is cool and should show up.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Q_res posted:

As with Phil LaMarr's Franklin the tone is off but the rhythm is right. And I'd rather they did it this way than deconstruct the original actors' voice lines for phonemes, which would have the perfect tone but imperfect rhythm. If they had a choice between trying for the sound and the soul, I'm happy with what they chose.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

drat, I mean... I hate to say it but that looks really bad.
It doesn't help that I can never jive with this sort of CGI, it reminds me too much of a Telltale video game or a 3D JRPG cutscene, really cheap feeling.

The voice work sounds pretty rough across the board too, the sound mixing is awful.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Deakul posted:

It doesn't help that I can never jive with this sort of CGI, it reminds me too much of a Telltale video game or a 3D JRPG cutscene, really cheap feeling.

The voice work sounds pretty rough across the board too, the sound mixing is awful.

God I would have been excited for this if it was an adventure video game.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Them sitting around "admiring the view" when they lost the Shadow War seems... odd, although I guess the Shadows wouldn't simply eliminate every sentient species, that would probably be a failure of their edict.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Small White Dragon posted:

Them sitting around "admiring the view" when they lost the Shadow War seems... odd, although I guess the Shadows wouldn't simply eliminate every sentient species, that would probably be a failure of their edict.

It almost makes sense to me that if the Shadows won, Earth would come out on top. The Shadows would contain or defeat the Minbari, they'd have the Centauri fighting the Narn and the League and stretched too thin to fight the Earth Alliance when the Shadows had Clarke move against them.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Small White Dragon posted:

Is it? It depends on how TRH presents it, but I think it's pretty plausible that losing the Shadow War wouldn't result in an apocalypse and even people who acted against the Shadows could be left alive. It's a doctrinal conflict, after all, and I feel like both the Vorlons and Shadows would be the sort to 'rub it in.' It could just be a timeline where Sheridan never existed or died on Za'ha'dum and so the Army of Light was never formed or was wiped out.

Kinda interesting that TRH seems to be committing to the vision of Babylon 5 being boarded and destroyed, right down to having Shadows phasing through the walls and echoing Garibaldi's lines during that sequence. Not sure about the thousands of them swarming around but, hey.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The army of shadow zerglings is the biggest thing that seems off to me. They didn't even pilot their own warships if they could help it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

But even in the show they attacked and killed kosh.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Deakul posted:

I don't actually mind the art style but the trailer is real bad. I'm hoping it's just a terrible trailer and not indicative of the work as a whole because every other piece of dialog being some warmed-over line from the show fills me with dread.

The more B5 content that gets released (the TV movies, Crusade, Lost Tales, LoTR) the more it becomes apparent that the original run was absolute lightning in a bottle, never to be repeated.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The army of shadow zerglings is the biggest thing that seems off to me. They didn't even pilot their own warships if they could help it.

Yeah, that gave me Starship Troopers vibes.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

ozmunkeh posted:

I don't actually mind the art style but the trailer is real bad. I'm hoping it's just a terrible trailer and not indicative of the work as a whole because every other piece of dialog being some warmed-over line from the show fills me with dread.

I could see that being a deliberate choice for the trailer. Take all the moments that are references back which, in the full film, are scattered connections to the series, and put them together into a montage of "HEY LOOK AT THIS REMEMBER THE SHOW". I know that, for feature films, the trailers are put together by a different team than the film itself and are optimized to be advertisements.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Starship Troopers is great vibes, just the wrong vibes here.

ozmunkeh posted:

the original run was absolute lightning in a bottle, never to be repeated.
I'm tellin' ya, the Director of Photography, one John C. Flinn III, deserves far more credit than he's ever received, and his absence in spinoffs is palpable.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
To be fair, that scene with Garibaldi in the original also had Starship Troopers vibes.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Vavrek posted:

I could see that being a deliberate choice for the trailer. Take all the moments that are references back which, in the full film, are scattered connections to the series, and put them together into a montage of "HEY LOOK AT THIS REMEMBER THE SHOW". I know that, for feature films, the trailers are put together by a different team than the film itself and are optimized to be advertisements.

That's exactly my hope but, gestures at every other B5 spin-off...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Now I am starting to understand why Warner Brothers wanted to just leave Babylon 5 as is and not go further with the I.P.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Slyphic posted:

I'm tellin' ya, the Director of Photography, one John C. Flinn III, deserves far more credit than he's ever received, and his absence in spinoffs is palpable.

On my rewatch rn, his work is really really noticeable, and you can tell when he's the sole director on an episode because he knows the sets, the lighting, and everything they can do with what they have inside and out, and everything just looks much more interesting.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

ozmunkeh posted:

Yeah ...

Yeah.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
B5: even when they're trying to market it, they can't succeed.

I just searched "Babylon 5" on Amazon: ignoring the "sponsored" results, the new movie comes up as item 23 in the search when "featured" is selected. Above it at 22 is the Mongoose RPG Minbari Federation Fact Book, published in 2003 and not actually available for purchase right now from Amazon. Also above it, a bunch of the old paperback books, the Babylon 5 For the First Time podcast, and the Prime Video of The Lost Tales.

I searched for "Babylon 5 blu-ray" more generally, then had to add the movie title, and a result came up for Warner Brothers. I clicked through. It is listed for sale on WB's UK shop (shipping August 14). But I'm in the US. So I pulled up WB's US shop site and searched for Babylon 5. Not listed. In fact, if you go straight to the shop result through a search engine (instead of through the main WB site), a search for Babylon 5 returns 0 results. Going instead through the main WB site, I can bring up the movie, but only streaming options are listed for purchasing it.

WB themselves advertised blu-ray as an option alongside the trailer. And if the UK can take preorders, I can't see why the US can't.

ozmunkeh posted:

Crusade would have been perfectly good if not for TNT torpedoing it, although for sure it looks cheap (because it was). But compare to the big two Sci-Fi franchises.

Star Trek: TNG had a huge budget, and the first season is, shall we say, variable in quality. Arguably it took them to S3 to really dial in on the show. DS9 was mostly great. Voyager ranged from good to terrible. Enterprise might have the same range but leaned more toward the terrible. Imagine any of these sequels done with a budget CUT and I don't know if they'd have lasted, aside from the studio wanting to syndicate and thus sticking by the shows for as long as they did.

Star Wars: Again, huge increases in budget as it went. I am told that people don't universally like the prequel or sequel movies. I'm not sure the streaming shows are a fair comparison to B5 sequels, so we'd have to consider things like the Ewoks and Droids cartoons, as well as the Ewok specials and the Star Wars Holiday Special.

I'd say that B5 manages to at least meet the quality of the other franchise sequels, if you can somehow look past the fact that it was always operating on half the budget at best and considerably lower at worst. It isn't a surprise that JMS kept being ambitious about what he could do with no budget, given how often the original series managed to rise to the challenge, but once Crusade closed up and the original crew dispersed to other jobs, it was never going to be likely to assemble another crew like that as good at working around the limitations for a pilot episode, especially not for the budgets WB were willing to provide.

To put everything in perspective again: TNG in 1988 had a $1.3 million per episode budget for a 44 minute episode. In 2007, JMS managed to get $2 million out of WB for The Lost Tales, a 72 minute "pilot." Calculating for inflation, this means The Lost Tales had a budget a bit lower than the budget for a single TNG episode, but for over 50% more time. (TNG also reused some sets, props, and make-up designs from the Trek movies; Lost Tales couldn't even reuse CGI.) B5 keeps getting set up to fail; that it succeeded, wildly, the first time seems to have set a bar for success that I'm not sure could ever be met without WB actually providing a level of support that presumes success. And why would they do that when there have been so many failures?

I plan to watch the movie and decide after that what I think about it. Assuming I can pre-order the drat blu-ray anytime soon, of course.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I thought it looked great. Sheridan doesn’t sound that old which is something I feared after watching Picard. It’s a decent Zathras and Franklin. I dug the quick shot of Lyta. I wonder about Delenn though.

Anyone expecting it to be B5 again is courting disappointment. Nothing will ever be B5 except B5. But it can be something different and wonderful. I’m just glad we’re getting more.

Hell I’m even glad for Lost Tales. It might have been kinda bad, but at least it was more. Better than nothing.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I remain upset that TNT did every single thing they could to make Crusade garbage, when there's a world where we have five years of Gary Cole as a starship captain. Maybe Sheridan will trip into it as he's sliding around.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vavrek posted:

I mean, paying close attention now that I'm home and not watching this on a bus, he sounds like Phil LaMarr doing a Franklin voice, at least.

I would've guessed the Narn at the end was Ta'Lon. (Ta'Lon is cool and should show up.)

The actor is in that terrible chud movie Last Act of Courage where the evil government, that's full of black people, want to stop the good Christian whites of a small town erecting a gaint 10 commandment memorial. He plays the mayor who drives around on a Harley or classic Ford pickup with a full sized American flag on it.

B5 should be made into video games, like Mass Effect is just B5 but with sexy blue alien babes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

twistedmentat posted:

The actor is in that terrible chud movie Last Act of Courage where the evil government, that's full of black people, want to stop the good Christian whites of a small town erecting a gaint 10 commandment memorial. He plays the mayor who drives around on a Harley or classic Ford pickup with a full sized American flag on it.

Last Ounce of Courage. And Fred Williamson is in it as well, so I expect there's a number of people there to get a paycheck rather than because they're actually chuds.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

B5 should be made into video games, like Mass Effect is just B5 but with sexy blue alien babes.

Marshall Teague, was also in Stargate.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

twistedmentat posted:

We never got this because of corporate shenanigans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCTyQAB1NPo

But we did get this because of FS2 mods,

http://babylon.hard-light.net/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I've always thought that Mass Effect, particularly the first game, was heavily inspired by Babylon 5.