Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Arbite posted:

We're the final Ackbar v Pellaeon campaigns before Spectre of the Past ever detailed?

I hadn't heard about this showdown until today.

Edit: I guess those guides really are essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Essential Atlas and the Essential Guide to Warfare are both extremely well researched and are really the culmination of how to collate bits of disparate info from across the EU together. They came out shortly before the Disney purchase but the work was so extensive that a lot of stuff from them, especially the Atlas, is still used. I think the Atlas invented the term Wild Space which then got mentioned in TFA so that’s a pretty good sign for how central it still is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nah Wild Space as a term has been around for a while it definitely predates the Atlas.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Looking at the Legends mentions of Wild Space on Wookieepedia, the earliest thing on the list is a short story by Timothy Zahn published in a d6 RPG supplement called "Adventure Journal 11" dating to 1996. It doesn't seem to be used there (in the first bit of the story) in the way that it would later be used, but Zahn probably coined it so far as Star Wars is concerned. It's where he placed the Empire of the Hand in the Specter/Vision duology, so of the old EU authors I suspect he made the most use of it too. Correct me if I'm wrong there.

The supplement is archived here: http://d6holocron.com/downloads/books/WEG41011.pdf

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 16, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
And I just discovered that Adventure Journal 11 also contains a short story by one Pablo Hidalgo, featuring a Squib droid merchant in Mos Eisley named Mace Windu.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

OhFunny posted:

The difference makes sense since the big change between the new and old canon post-RoTJ is how long the war continues.

Only a year after Endor, the Empire's military strength is crushed after its defeat at Jekku, and its leadership formally surrenders in the new canon. The New Republic can disarm and integrate all these once loyal Imperial worlds.

In the old canon, the Empire never surrenders. The war goes on for another two decades. Even as Imperial military strength wanes from defeats and warlordism. It has periods of resurgence under the reborn Emperor, Thrawn, Daala that threaten the New Republic. So the military remains a powerful force politically.

The NuCanon “the war ends after a year” thing is still so monumentally loving stupid to me that I refuse to accept it and it’s one of the major reasons I can’t get invested in the NuCanon.

So this franchise called Star Wars ends its Star Wars after a year and then has 3 decades of unprecedented peace while there are maybe occasional border skirmishes with the occasional Imperial commander flaring up once in a while? Completely idiotic storytelling that writes the setting into a corner.

I’m beyond frustrated that my starfighter pilot RPG group has chosen to follow the NuCanon, it means we get to compress all of our X-wing vs TIE Fighter shenanigans into a single year post-Endor before we’re effectively out of a job. loving stupid.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The post-sequel trilogy stuff tends to agree that "war ends with jakku" was a dumb idea which is why Gideon being active during The Mandalorian and now Thrawn returning appears to be walking it all back a bit.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The war with the Empire has ended

The war against everything else, including remnants of said Empire, has not

Or I guess the war against Palpatine has ended?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Somehow, Empire returned

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well the rest of the galaxy is still waging war against the remnants but the Nu Canon New Republic is too busy dismantling warships and destroying captured Imperial technology to bother with anything outside of their territory.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Nah Wild Space as a term has been around for a while it definitely predates the Atlas.

Looking it up it wasn't Wild Space, it was Western Reaches. Was definitely weird to hear that term coming from Harrison Ford in the theater on TFA opening night. Same with hearing "YT-freighter" and "New Republic" being used on screen.

Arc Hammer posted:

Well the rest of the galaxy is still waging war against the remnants but the Nu Canon New Republic is too busy dismantling warships and destroying captured Imperial technology to bother with anything outside of their territory.

I think the Filoni movie was explicitly described as featuring "the war between the Empire and the New Republic" which is such a funny turnaround from what was established in 2015.

I think if they really had wanted to make things different from the old EU they should have just gone with the premise that the Empire immediately collapses after Endor as implied in the ROTJ ending montage. That at least would have been different, and could still have provided them with story potential in how a New Republic gets established out of all of that chaos. As it is, it felt like they wanted to do that, but also wanted to squeeze in time to have whatever post-ROTJ Empire vs. New Republic battles, and so did the year date as bare minimum. And the limits to that quickly became obvious.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I always wondered about the strictures Lucasfilm placed on Bantam, like if we got so much Imperial Remnant was because they didn't want a writer stepping on anything Lucasfilm might do, like how prickly they got according to Zahn referencing anything to do with the Clone Wars (back when we thought it was a war against clones).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I always wondered about the strictures Lucasfilm placed on Bantam, like if we got so much Imperial Remnant was because they didn't want a writer stepping on anything Lucasfilm might do, like how prickly they got according to Zahn referencing anything to do with the Clone Wars (back when we thought it was a war against clones).

According to people who worked at Marvel, after ROTJ Lucasfilm didn't let them advance the plot in any meaningful way, apparently because Lucas hadn't made up his mind on sequels yet. That's why the Marvel comics went on for three years after ROTJ came out but Han and Leia's relationship never advanced, Luke never trained new Jedi, we never saw any details at all about the Empire, the Rebels didn't really change.

I think by the early 90s things had changed enough that Lucas didn't really care what post-ROTJ things did, because according to him the "real" story had ended (though he was involved in minor ways with various book plotting in the Bantam era, especially early on). I think the reason why Bantam focused so much on Imperial warlords vs. the New Republic was that that was the template that Zahn established, as with so much of the EU, and so people kept going with it.

As a case in point, when Dark Empire was being developed at the same time but independently as Zahn's books, and was originally going to be set right after ROTJ, it depicted an Empire that immediately splintered and collapsed after the Battle of Endor, with only the returned Emperor able to reunify them for the attack on Coruscant (or "the Imperial Planet" as it was originally called).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Calax posted:

I do think that nobody had quite the idea exactly how ANY republic works in the Star Wars universe. In theory, they're all unified and operate in the same way that the USA does with a head of state and a representative body with a singular cohesive military.

But instead it's presented as if the Republic holds a giant gun, and can make proclamations and handle economic policy, but each independent state also maintains their own power base and leadership, and can act independently of the main body. To stretch the metaphor, it's America, but each state has it's own standing Military, and Arizona can declare war on both New Mexico and Old Mexico because Joe Arpaio wanted to.
The only stretch there is the declaring war bit. Each US state does have its own standing military.

Jazerus posted:

yeah the new republic is basically still facing a peer opponent until zsinj goes down a few years after thrawn. until they grabbed kuat there was always somebody able to mount up a credible threat on the back of its shipyards
Long enough term the Empire actually wins, kind of. The Legacy era is very fun.

Xenomrph posted:

The NuCanon “the war ends after a year” thing is still so monumentally loving stupid to me that I refuse to accept it and it’s one of the major reasons I can’t get invested in the NuCanon.
Dubya declared "mission accomplished" just slightly over a year and a half into what would be a 19 year long war that the USA lost :shrug:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arquinsiel posted:

The only stretch there is the declaring war bit. Each US state does have its own standing military.

Long enough term the Empire actually wins, kind of. The Legacy era is very fun.

Dubya declared "mission accomplished" just slightly over a year and a half into what would be a 19 year long war that the USA lost :shrug:

Yeah but the Empire did in fact materially lose at Jakku, the war was over. According to (my understanding of) the fiction, the Empire committed all of their available military might at Jakku and lost soundly. The franchise fiction hasn’t tried to spin it like “MISSION ACCOMPLISHED” New Republic propaganda.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It just went away and waited a bunch of time and then when the New Republic had withdrawn all military assets to the capital it did a big push and overthrew it all.

In a way TFA was prophetic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah but the Empire did in fact materially lose at Jakku, the war was over. According to (my understanding of) the fiction, the Empire committed all of their available military might at Jakku and lost soundly. The franchise fiction hasn’t tried to spin it like “MISSION ACCOMPLISHED” New Republic propaganda.

It's not really worth thinking about it too much, but thinking about it too much that always felt weird. You'd think the Empire would still have a much more massive fleet even then.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

My memory of Empire's End is a bit hazy but I believe the "committing all of their available might" wasn't so much an actual strategic decision as it was "one of the Emperor's remaining toadies getting the majority of the Imperial and NR fleets in orbit while the hidden superweapon on Jakku cooks off in the final death throe of Operation Cinder"

Of course it doesn't happen quite according to plan, Admiral Sloane takes a bunch of forces off to form the First Order, and most of the NR fleet makes it out anyway because the superweapon is sabotaged

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Maybe the new canon writers wanted the victory in Return of the Jedi to usher in a period of peace and prosperity instead of the EU's decades of escalating misery and hell, sputtering out in a shower of child molestation and used syringes :angel:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sheev being Sheev and directing that toadie, plus with TRoS being out now, the whole point of it was to get enough of the Imperial Fleet into one place and to carefully prune out the people who didn't serve his interests so that the survivors could go and First Orderise themselves elsewhere while leaving the Republic thinking they'd broken the Imperial military entirely.

Which is still pretty stupid.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

General Battuta posted:

Maybe the new canon writers wanted the victory in Return of the Jedi to usher in a period of peace and prosperity instead of the EU's decades of escalating misery and hell,

Ah yes, exactly what the multimedia franchise titled “Star Wars” needs: an end to the Star Wars

:ughh:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Maybe the new canon writers wanted the victory in Return of the Jedi to usher in a period of peace and prosperity instead of the EU's decades of escalating misery and hell, sputtering out in a shower of child molestation and used syringes :angel:

that's fair but it's sort of a hollow peace isn't it? the alliance didn't win. the new republic was casually subverted by unreformed imperials who simply left and restarted the war once they'd had a generation to catch their breath, and the rump new republic didn't even have the sense to know it was at war until its capital was blown up.

between the vong, the bug orgies, daala, etc. things obviously got deeply hosed up in the EU's future but i think the new canon's "peace" is pretty grim stuff to be honest.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jazerus posted:

unreformed imperials who simply left and restarted the war once they'd had a generation to catch their breath, and the rump new republic didn't even have the sense to know it was at war until its capital was blown up.

What’s the time gap between TLJ and RoS? Because TLJ happens immediately after TFA and lasts like a couple days on its own, and RoS seems to be a pretty short jump and that movie’s events seem to span like a day or two, meaning the entire New Star War from opening volley to final defeat takes place over what feels like a week and a half.

Then again Star Wars has always had a “problem” with battles and wars being incredibly compressed time frames compared to “real life”. The ground battles of Scarif, Naboo, Geonosis, Hoth, and Endor were each over in like an afternoon, compared to real world battles like the Battle of Stalingrad (5 months), Battle of the Bulge (a month and a half), Operation Overlord (2 months), or the Battle of the Somme (almost 5 months). It’s only in the EU that you get pitched battles that take more than a day.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Xenomrph posted:

What’s the time gap between TLJ and RoS?
Roughly a year.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How old was Jaina supposed to be in the Vong stuff and NJO? It felt like they kept trying to go for 'bubbly teen' for probably longer than they should have.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Dawgstar posted:

How old was Jaina supposed to be in the Vong stuff and NJO? It felt like they kept trying to go for 'bubbly teen' for probably longer than they should have.

Jacen and Jaina were 15 years old at the start of the NJO, iirc. That'd make them about 18 or 19 at the end of it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Xenomrph posted:

Ah yes, exactly what the multimedia franchise titled “Star Wars” needs: an end to the Star Wars

:ughh:

The year is 12 ABY. A bloodthirsty fan base fuels a status quo of endless war. Bitter YouTube rants perpetuate a culture of infighting. War is constant, victory is illusory, and progress is nonexistent. A gap in a timeline of atrocities is only an invitation to pitch limited series and design new TIE variants. Time is scarce before the next unrelenting crisis begins. For a Star Warrior, war is life, and death is the only true peace. Unless they deepfake you right back in.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Logic suggests that the years before the After Battle of Yavin timeline should be called Before After Battle of Yavin, or BABY

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
TLJ's time frame is bizarre because Rey feels like she's on the island a couple of days, Finn and Rose feel like their whole adventure takes a couple hours, and Poe's mutiny feels like it happened across a couple minutes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Jaina was in her 40s by the time the EU ended and still being written the same. I don’t remember her being written too badly in the NJO, but I finished reading it close to 20 years ago and probably won’t go back.

If you want BAD teen dialogue the Ben-Vestara romance poo poo was almost unbearable.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dawgstar posted:

I seem to recall that, especially if you count that everybody claims the Outer Rim even if nobody actually cared about controlling it, at least around Thrawn's time the New Republic also wasn't super big because the Empire still controlled the Deep Core and whatever other territory.

Yeah a lot of Leia's plot in the first Thrawn book is going around to random de facto independent planets and convincing them to join up with the New Republic

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xenomrph posted:

What’s the time gap between TLJ and RoS? Because TLJ happens immediately after TFA and lasts like a couple days on its own, and RoS seems to be a pretty short jump and that movie’s events seem to span like a day or two, meaning the entire New Star War from opening volley to final defeat takes place over what feels like a week and a half.

Then again Star Wars has always had a “problem” with battles and wars being incredibly compressed time frames compared to “real life”. The ground battles of Scarif, Naboo, Geonosis, Hoth, and Endor were each over in like an afternoon, compared to real world battles like the Battle of Stalingrad (5 months), Battle of the Bulge (a month and a half), Operation Overlord (2 months), or the Battle of the Somme (almost 5 months). It’s only in the EU that you get pitched battles that take more than a day.
Battles that aren't sieges tend to take quite a lot less time in reality. Waterloo is a famously long pre-industrial slog and that was done in less than twelve hours. Scarif is like the Battle of Nijmegen except replace "blew up the bridges" with "blew up the island".

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It always kind of blows my mind that the entire Yavin battle is done and wrapped up in about 15 minutes (both in-universe and on-screen)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A lot of naval battles were over in a few days (or less) too.

The closest the movies get to a siege is the chase in Last Jedi, and I think it would have worked better as a more traditional siege on the surface of Crait.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A lot of naval battles were over in a few days (or less) too.

Or even just less for more modern stuff. Since Star Wars often draws from World War II, to use two examples from there, at Midway IIRC the main American attacks on the Japanese fleet all occurred within a 90~ minute period (With most of the damage to their carriers happening in like a 10 minute span), and the highly dramatic Battle off Samar is like 3 hours from start to finish.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I saw this story on Tumblr and don't remember seeing it in any iteration of this thread, so for anyone who like me hadn't heard it before:

Tumblr posted:

Every who pays a certain amount of attention to Star Wars knows this story already, but I was lucky enough to hear it recounted first-hand last year, so I’m gonna give it yet another retelling.

So The Husband and I were at Sci-fi Weekender (a British based annual Sci-fi and Fantasy convention) last year, and one of the guests that year was Kevin J Anderson, one of the very notable Star Wars Expanded Universe writers. During one of the events, a quiet little interview in a cafe on the event site, he fielded a question from an audience member about what it was like to write for a franchise like Star Wars which often had lots of cooks working on one broth, and he had the following to say (wording recounted as best as I can from memory):

“So in one of my stories, Han Solo, he, he travels to this asteroid planet called Kessel, which is where a lot of Spice comes from, these Spice Mines of Kessel, and I got to really describe the effects of this Spice, this terrible drug and the addiction and all this and before publication I get this call, I get this call from the lawyers, and they say “Kevin, you say in this story that Spice is a drug, you can’t say that, you can’t say that Spice is a drug”, and I say “What? What do you mean it’s not a drug, of course it’s a drug”, and they say “Han Solo used to smuggle Spice, and you cannot, let us be clear, you cannot imply that the Hero of Star Wars used to be a drug dealer”. And I just stood there, at a loss for words, and I eventually said “So what is it then?” and they said to me, very sternly, “It’s a food-additive”. Now, now obviously this is ridiculous, and I won’t back down, and they won’t back down, and none of us will back down, and the book is very close to getting pulled, which I don’t want because I worked hard on it and they don’t want because they already paid me the advance, and eventually, with this great air of superiority they say “OK Kevin, we’ll take this to the top. WE’LL TAKE THIS TO GEORGE”. And they go to all this trouble, this was a long while ago when such things were not so easy to arrange, they go to all this trouble to set up a conference call with all of them and me and with George Lucas and they say “George, Kevin is trying to say in his new book that Spice is a drug, it’s a food additive, tell him it’s not a drug, George”. And there’s this long silence on the other end of the line and eventually George says “It is a drug, though. It’s, it’s a drug, it’s a food-additive? What? Of course it a drug, it’s space heroin, what else would it be? What?” And that was then end of that.“

Is it true? I dunno, but it made me chuckle anyway.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

cptn_dr posted:

I saw this story on Tumblr and don't remember seeing it in any iteration of this thread, so for anyone who like me hadn't heard it before:

Is it true? I dunno, but it made me chuckle anyway.

I think this same story was brought up on AMCA recently, maybe their episode on Solo? Dunno if it's the same source or a corroborating one.

EDIT: Of course it's on Wookieepedia. From an interview with KJA (only the relevant bit but it's actually a pretty good interview, I enjoyed his perspective on the superweapon of the week plots as somebody who worked in a government lab):

quote:

I was writing Han going into the spice mines of Kessel, where he used to smuggle the spice out. I was told by some politically correct people at LucasFilm, “Spice can’t be a drug because Han was smuggling it… that makes Han a drug dealer! You can’t have one of our main characters be a drug dealer!” I said, “It’s spice, and he’s running Imperial blockades, what did you think it was?” They said, “Well, it’s like a food flavoring!” He’s not gonna be flying through Imperial blockades with a ship full of oregano! [laughs] It was actually a discussion.

They didn’t want Han Solo to be a guy smuggling drugs because he’s one of our good guys. I went, “You know he was a scoundrel, and he redeemed himself and joined the Rebel Alliance?” It got to the point that we were butting heads enough that we sent a letter up to George Lucas to say what our conflict about what spice was: was it a drug? A food additive? Something else? George wrote back. I love this; he wrote back, “Of course it’s a drug!” My compromise was to not make it something like crystal meth that people were dying from; we had to make some decent aspects of it, Han still is our main character, you don’t want him to be Walter White selling crystal meth!

Re: the length of battles, I think one of the reasons that Star Wars battles tend to be short is that a lot of them are a smaller force engaging a vastly superior one. The first Death Star is maybe the most conspicuous because it's on an actual timer, but it is literally 30 snubfighters against the Empire, it can't really go any slower.

The Clone Wars have a lot of battles that seem to take place over days, intermittent skirmishes (Christophsis seems like the Harpers Ferry of Star Wars), and drawn-out sieges, but there you have two armies roughly equal in strength engaging each other.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The closest the movies get to a siege is the chase in Last Jedi, and I think it would have worked better as a more traditional siege on the surface of Crait.

Yeah, as time goes by I am less willing to forgive that movie for its structural issues, and the "running out of gas" plot point is a real bummer. I think Hux even has a line like, "Well, keep shooting so they know we're still here," which is not something you want the bad guys to say and remain credible. Bringing the conversation all the way back around, it is a bizarre choice to have your movie, which thanks to JJ Abrams has to pick up exactly from where the first one ended, explicitly take place over like 18 hours.

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 18, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As egregious as time compression is in TLJ, The Force Awakens has it beat with how absolutely insane it is that Starkiller Base blows up ten minutes after Han is killed and in that time Rey and Finn can have two separate duels with Kylo Ben, run across several miles of snowy forest and get picked up by the Falcon.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's a West End Games adventure book called The Politics of Contraband which is based off the line from the Glenn Frey song but, according to legend, it was originally called something else whose name escapes me but something Lucasfilms lost their minds over because it implied that the player characters were criminals - like, you know, smugglers be - and they couldn't have that. A shame they didn't get to talk to George about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

On a disappointing note it seems that they’re not currently doing unabridged audiobooks for Essential Legends Collection releases. The Bacta War back in November was the most recent release. Sucks with I, Jedi and Survivor’s Quest rereleasing later in the year. I’d even be happier to buy some of the shittier EU novels on audio but they seem to have paused production for now.