Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Oceangate? And they say nominative determinism isn't real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol I keep on thinking surely the electoral college would solve this, this is text book case on why it exists and then k remember he didn’t even win the popular vote last go around and feel like a loving idiot.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crab Dad posted:

Lol I keep on thinking surely the electoral college would solve this, this is text book case on why it exists and then k remember he didn’t even win the popular vote last go around and feel like a loving idiot.

Now look, there's a lot wrong with the electoral college but it's in no way responsible for this submarine fiasco.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Now look, there's a lot wrong with the electoral college but it's in no way responsible for this submarine fiasco.

No, I absolutely would vote for BillionaireKiller Sub if it ran.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

At this point, to spark off the worker's revolution, all we're going to have to do is sell tickets for the guillotine for half a mil a pop and they'll line themselves up.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Something's been bothering me about this submarine thing all day and I just figured it out what it was: this is proof we're living in a loving Sealab 2021 episode now.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Wombot posted:

So there's no physical connection to the tender, the sub itself doesn't have any inertial navigation or GPS (only good near/on surface), and the only form of communication is via VLF datagrams?

It sure sounds like the tender vessel drops it in the water above the wreck, they sink, and then just drive around the sea bed looking for the debris trail (which they don't always find).

couldn't they just install a zipline? i believe they're proven tech in the field of man-made death traps

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

couldn't they just install a zipline? i believe they're proven tech in the field of man-made death traps

Sure, if you want the other billionaires to think you're only a millionaire pleb

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oceangate? And they say nominative determinism isn't real

Why is there an extra connection and why is it zip tied?

E: 1/3 back from the front on top, zip tied to the other poorly shrink wrapped (?) connectors. Would zoom/enhance but phone posting.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 20, 2023

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Gonna call space elevators billionaire ziplines from now on.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Whoa the sub’s hull was manufactured by Electroimpact, a Washington based company that, uh, maybe check their controversy section on Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroimpact

Or when their CEO ran for city council: https://www.king5.com/amp/article/n...c5-bcb5bd46543b

Or what causes NPR noted their CEO is fond of: https://www.npr.org/2018/11/21/669746158/racial-controversy-stirs-mississippi-senate-runoff

Or to who their CEO likes to give money: https://www.opensecrets.org/donor-lookup/results?name=Peter+Zieve&order=desc&sort=A

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Zamujasa posted:

"When the support ship is directly over the sub, they can send short text messages back and forth."

Hoooooooooly gently caress I missed this first go around

Was there anyone involved in this project with ANY nautical experience?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Look, Oil platforms can do it all the time and they are slow as hell. So obviously a sub tender will be able to stay directly above them much faster.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Was there anyone involved in this project with ANY nautical experience?

Look, it's hard to be innovative when "experts" keep telling you you're "doing it wrong"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/JumbleCashback/status/1670924976214491136

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Maybe 12 year old me should have been worried about the Titanic instead of the Bermuda Triangle.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Lol, the CEO of the lovely submarine company was reportedly on board.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Neptune welcomes him

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
is this praxis?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
no, just a 21st century version of making the architect stand under the stone arch as the keystone is installed

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

no, just a 21st century version of making the architect stand under the stone arch as the keystone is installed

No worse than the structural engineer that enabled the dude.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i for one welcome more billionaires to take on tasks such as this

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ded posted:

i for one welcome more billionaires to take on tasks such as this

it's pretty refreshing to see one kill themselves instead of the help for a change

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

it's pretty refreshing to see one kill themselves instead of the help for a change

Oh, I'm sure they got the help too. Probably some poor bastard history PhD they underpaid to be the tour guide.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
they had a "tour guide" as well. prob making jack poo poo for pay :(

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Well gently caress :(

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
rip to the one commoner on board. lol lmao at the other half dozen billionaires getting byford dolphin'd

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

byford dolphin'd

Learned about this incident not too long ago, absolutely brutal. Sure seems unlikely anyone involved was alive for long enough to feel pain though!

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I was thinking of the crab pipe video, but yeah that's another horrible example of what pressure can do.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Is it bad to laugh at this?

Because I can’t seem to stop laughing at the idea of going down 12,000 feet in a jury-rigged vessel run by what sounds like an ad-hoc, sort of improvising fly-by-night operation and just assuming that everything is going to turn out A-OK.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MrMojok posted:

Is it bad to laugh at this?

Because I can’t seem to stop laughing at the idea of going down 12,000 feet in a jury-rigged vessel run by what sounds like an ad-hoc, sort of improvising fly-by-night operation and just assuming that everything is going to turn out A-OK.

Unlike the sub design, it's complicated.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

So apparently there's this batshit group of billionaires that takes rides to the challenger deep, goes up in Bezos' cock rocket, and tries to summit Everest, and they compete to see who can do all three first.

The British dude who's name keeps coming up first set records on a sub trip to the challenger deep, and has been up on the rocket, dunno about Everest.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/BirdTickler/status/1671002901064425472?s=20

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Andrew Tate: moves to Romania because they don't investigate human trafficking and rape there
Romania: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65959097

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

All New Sonic posted:

Look, it's hard to be innovative when "experts" keep telling you you're "doing it wrong"

It's not wrong, it's sub-standard design!

:dadjoke:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Andrew Tate: moves to Romania because they don't investigate human trafficking and rape there

Ooh, came here to post this. I hope they bury him deep. As deep as, say, a poorly designed submersible ferrying rich people to gawk at the wreckage of the Titanic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

armpit_enjoyer posted:

He can rightly get hosed.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I dunno, I've found Andrew Tate to be very influential in my life.

I've taught my kids what a shithead he is, so now they know when someone brings him up, it's a good indicator they are a person to avoid.

Very helpful, especially with teenage daughters.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

armpit_enjoyer posted:

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Didn't he get out on bail at one point or something? I thought it was over at that point and he was going to escape justice. A pleasant surprise.