Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Submersible had information leading to the arrest of Hillary Clinton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Someone get elon musk on the case I heard he is a submarine expert because he is rich and owns twitter

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Injuries incompatible with life.

The OSHA thread even found that there's a commercial submersible sold specifically for visiting the Titanic, it's the model used in almost all the documentaries and certified by all the relevant authorities. Supposedly it makes the trip in less than two hours.

that's a pug in a batman costume and he's a good boy good boy yes he is whos a good boy

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/writerbxtch/status/1671181437444427776?t=VqDmElNwStNNTZq1ihV7DA&s=19

Best take yet.

https://twitter.com/TimInHonolulu/status/1671223391825829888?t=EsnFsEgvbX2lae0P7i7pjA&s=19

More Mattering? :getin:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 20, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Suicide Watch posted:

Submersible had information leading to the arrest of Hillary Clinton

“Was the submarine vaccinated?”

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Died with submarine not of submarine

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Cythereal posted:

The OSHA thread even found that there's a commercial submersible sold specifically for visiting the Titanic, it's the model used in almost all the documentaries and certified by all the relevant authorities. Supposedly it makes the trip in less than two hours.

that thing looks absolutely cool as gently caress

this thing looks like a giant fleshlight

what a way to go lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
We all died in a cheap-rear end submarine.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Lmao

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Born to drown
Titanic is a wreck
I am very smart
5 dead billionaires

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Stockton Rush of OceanGate addressed the concern during a November episode of "Unsung Science" titled "Back to Titanic Part 1," which featured a discussion of his company’s now-missing Titan sub.

"So, once we’re down there, what are the things to worry about?" host David Pogue, a "CBS Sunday Morning" correspondent, asked Rush.

"What I worry about most are things that will stop me from being able to get to the surface. Overhangs, fish nets, entanglement hazards," Rush said. "And, that’s just a technique, piloting technique. It’s pretty clear -- if it’s an overhang, don’t go under it. If there is a net, don’t go near it. So, you can avoid those if you are just slow and steady."

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Bone slurry then, gently caress

Chum

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Geez even Shark Week is getting in on the Titanic craze now?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Cythereal posted:

If anyone was wondering where the Batsub came from it's Triton Submersibles and if you win the lotto and don't entertain the idea at least a little you are one basic son of a bitch.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

So are the submariners confirmed dead, or still just missing?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Overdue, presumed lost.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
On Eternal Patrol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1671204883830124564

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

https://twitter.com/zachaschonfeld/status/1671299719807606785

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

"Don't you listen to them goats! Them goats lie!"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A Supreme Court justice took bribes? No way!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It's pretty catdrugs that people died on board a famous and fallible testament to man's hubris... then more people (probably) died visiting the exact same spot while also riding another testament to man's hubris in which they had far too much faith, all for the purpose of catching a glimpse of the previous monument to man's hubris that claimed lives... :psyduck:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Midjack posted:

https://twitter.com/The_Law_Boy/status/1671308294340608000

and the next republican-nominated supreme court justices will be worse

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

"Listen, compared to Clarence and Ginny this stuff is small potatoes, guy didn't even offer to buy my parents house!"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The Eyes Have It posted:

It's pretty catdrugs that people died on board a famous and fallible testament to man's hubris... then more people (probably) died visiting the exact same spot while also riding another testament to man's hubris in which they had far too much faith, all for the purpose of catching a glimpse of the previous monument to man's hubris that claimed lives... :psyduck:

rich people: we are the smartest people on the planet and we deserve endless riches

also rich people:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

https://twitter.com/hamnox/status/1482159051316215809

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Midjack posted:

Dunno why he doesn’t just laugh and ask what we’re gonna do about it. He could take cash bribes during arguments & GOP wouldn’t blink.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

The Eyes Have It posted:

But look how far we've come in the last century. The Titanic, despite its flaws, was touted as having some of the most advanced safety features of its day, and safety was a major selling point. The Dumpstersub, meanwhile, had the owner publicly and proudly bragging how much they ignored safety considerations, and was made of only the cheapest, shittiest materials that the least amount of money could buy.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Did this get posted?

Link:
https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/marine-technology-society-committee-2018-letter-to-ocean-gate/eddb63615a7b3764/full.pdf

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Wingnut Ninja posted:

But look how far we've come in the last century. The Titanic, despite its flaws, was touted as having some of the most advanced safety features of its day, and safety was a major selling point. The Dumpstersub, meanwhile, had the owner publicly and proudly bragging how much they ignored safety considerations, and was made of only the cheapest, shittiest materials that the least amount of money could buy.

That bizarre inversion is also pretty :psyduck: now that you mention it

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
We just need to keep providing the richest people in the world with the ricketiest ways of fulfilling their thrill-seeking and let nature take it's course

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

For the entirety of this event i kept thinking people had just started saying oceangate because every news story is xgate, not realizing that was the company's loving name :cripes:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://www.insider.com/missing-titanic-sub-ceo-told-reporter-safety-pure-waste-2023-6?amp

quote:

In a November 2022 episode of CBS journalist David Pogue's "Unsung Science" podcast, Rush discussed the Titan sub's mechanics and build.

He said there was a "limit" to safety, telling Pogue: "You know, at some point, safety is just pure waste. I mean, if you just want to be safe, don't get out of bed, don't get in your car, don't do anything. At some point, you're going to take some risk, and it really is a risk-reward question."

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Stravag posted:

For the entirety of this event i kept thinking people had just started saying oceangate because every news story is xgate, not realizing that was the company's loving name :cripes:

shows that they were thinking ahead about at least one thing

also works as sort of a maritime version of heaven's gate

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

Born to drown
Titanic is a wreck
I am very smart
5 dead billionaires

EAT THE RICH (through a straw)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/titanic-submersible-missing-searchers-heard-banging-1234774674/

quote:

“RCC Halifax launched a P8, Poseidon, which has underwater detection capabilities from the air,” the DHS e-mails read. “The P8 deployed sonobuoys, which reported a contact in a position close to the distress position. The P8 heard banging sounds in the area every 30 minutes. Four hours later additional sonar was deployed and banging was still heard.” The announcement did not state what time the banging was heard, or what was thought to have caused it.

An e-mail sent Tuesday afternoon from the president of the travel and research group, the Explorers Society, stated, “It is being reported that at 2 a.m. local time on site that sonar detected potential ‘tapping sounds’ at the location, implying crew may be alive and signaling.” The Boston Coast Guard, which is leading the rescue efforts, did not immediately reply to a request for comment on the reported tapping sounds.

A DHS official told Rolling Stone, that as of 5 hours ago the Titan still had 40 hours of oxygen left and stated that the “situation looks bleak,” adding that they believe the banging was coming from the craft, but that haven’t heard any noise since yesterday.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

https://newrepublic.com/post/173802/missing-titanic-sub-faced-lawsuit-depths-safely-travel-oceangate

quote:

The concerns Lochridge voiced came to light as part of a breach of contract case related to Lochridge refusing to greenlight manned tests of the early models of the submersible over safety concerns. Lochridge was fired, and then OceanGate sued him for disclosing confidential information about the Titan submersible. In response, Lochridge filed a compulsory counterclaim where he alleged wrongful termination over being a whistleblower about the quality and safety of the submersible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

That's grim.

Good luck you crazy goobers.