Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Carthag Tuek posted:

do you mean bing or edge

if its edge ok its a thing you can download, but i dont think it has ai?
but if its bing, i think it does have ""ai"" u you also cant download it

unless definitions changed since last

they will probably be the same thing soon enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Clark Nova posted:

firefox on android can run ublock so I'm mildly jealous but not anywhere near enough to get an android

it is surprising how much poo poo is just flat out broken on mobile safari these days though

hold on

you mean I've been suffering through those ads for no reason all this time?

and yes I know there are ways to do it with routing but it always seemed too much effort to be worth it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
firefox on android has ublock yeah. you don't even need to download the extension

works really well even on my ancient huawei

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Carthag Tuek posted:

- stop making huge cookie consent bullshit popovers. even if i agree im going to delete the cookies. can we please get a browser standard that just blackholes everything and forces relogin every time always. once im not the odd one out, theres no reason to track anybody anymore
I think the goal here is to make them so annoying people want them gone, I do wonder if anyone who works at a news site or the like ever actually looks at their site on a phone

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

I think the goal here is to make them so annoying people want them gone, I do wonder if anyone who works at a news site or the like ever actually looks at their site on a phone

they do and hate it (i worked at an abc affiliate for a bit). since there's really nothing anyone can do about it mostly everyone just uses an adblocker

unless they work on ad sales of course, a prison of their own making

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

but like what does an executive think when they go to their own site on their phone and the whole screen is four layers of popups and an autoplaying video and you can't actually see the content? I would love to watch a dozen news executives try to use the sites they're in charge of

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

but like what does an executive think when they go to their own site on their phone and the whole screen is four layers of popups and an autoplaying video and you can't actually see the content? I would love to watch a dozen news executives try to use the sites they're in charge of

the station i worked at was owned by hearst. all of their stations' sites have the exact same layout, so they'd really only complain when something seriously broke (either layout or editorial guidelines), which was rare since things were usually just published via a cms with very little control over how a page looks (and of course i never tried to inject js or css or whatever into an article)

i worked on the news/media production side instead of IT so i never really had to deal with them directly, but i got the sense that pretty much nobody at the company (outside of the station) ever bothered to check it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao fuckin teams is GARBAGE

clicking "join on the teams app" and it goes "We couldn't open your Teams app. Join your meeting on the web instead."

the teams app IS OPEN YOU IDIOTTS

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

could be that you're logged in with a different account? the desktop app really doesn't handle multiple accounts well (or at all)

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Carthag Tuek posted:

lmao fuckin teams is GARBAGE

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Private Speech posted:

could be that you're logged in with a different account? the desktop app really doesn't handle multiple accounts well (or at all)

yeah seems like it. maybe their error message should say that

i dont use my work account on this computer because then my job wants to be able to brick it

but i updated the meeting request and invited my private account to it so now the link works

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
why are you doing work on a personal computer? have your employer provide you one

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

infernal machines posted:

why are you doing work on a personal computer? have your employer provide you one

i have one but its at the office & i decided to wfh cause i didnt wanna go out in the heat

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
when I had to do that (teams on multiple accounts because family of related entities) I used Firefox multi account containers and then always had to keep it from launching the installed app (which is a POS)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

you would think that MS support conslutants but they don't

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wonder if you can run it in a vm so its no loss if they gently caress with the provisioning?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

wonder if you can run it in a vm so its no loss if they gently caress with the provisioning?
I think this is the smart move if you don't have a separate work computer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol ms is doing "oh no we're just smol bean getting beat up after losing infinity dollars trying to completely take over console gaming for 20 years"

quote:

Part of Microsoft's current legal strategy is demonstrating the domineering lead PlayStation and Nintendo have established in the gaming industry. Xbox entered the market in 2001, and according to Microsoft's own documentation, their consoles have been outperformed by Nintendo and Sony by a "significant margin." Despite hard-fought success in the Xbox 360 generation and notable financial gain in recent quarters, Xbox claims it's never stopped "losing the console wars."

As it stands, Xbox is confidently one of "big three" players in the console market, alongside PlayStation and Nintendo. However, Microsoft states its market share is trailing notably behind the most prominent competition.

"Xbox's console has consistently ranked third (of three) behind PlayStation and Nintendo in sales. In 2021, Xbox had a share of 16%, while Nintendo and PlayStation had shares of [redacted] and [redacted], respectively. Likewise for console revenues and share of consoles currently in use by gamers ('installed base'), Xbox trails with 21% while PlayStation and Nintendo have shares of [redacted] and [redacted], respectively."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

qirex posted:

lol ms is doing "oh no we're just smol bean getting beat up after losing infinity dollars trying to completely take over console gaming for 20 years"

UwU just a lil fucky monopolucky

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the endgame is obviously to make gamepass important enough to muscle a ridiculous revenue share out of sony, nintendo, apple and google where they get all the money but none of the responsibility of managing the platforms but they're all "look, calloduty!" while jangling their keys and hoping it works [it still might]

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
maybe being able to softmod the og xbox and xbox 360 had something to do with it
lets just handle the fonts in the kernel because its faster *loses 4 billion*

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I am confident I will eventually play starfield on my ps5

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Perplx posted:

maybe being able to softmod the og xbox and xbox 360 had something to do with it
lets just handle the fonts in the kernel because its faster *loses 4 billion*
the red ring failure of the 360 cost them probably 10x what piracy ever did

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

qirex posted:

i have a ps3 + a bunch of games that my brother gave me when they upgraded & i still havent gotten it running

because man setting up stuff its such a chore

every time i want to try its a new problem (finding the right adapters, batteries for remotes, all the cables, then the loving projector remote is apparently dead even with new batteries, oh but the unit has buttons on top, but it also has a whole harness thing bolted to the bottom so i can only set it upside down, and the bolts are loving pin-in-hex but i only have regular hex here. so maybe this old rear end dell monitor works, no it cant handle the resolution or something, etc, etc, etc)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

yah gamepass streaming will probably be available for sure if it isnt already

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i haven't looked at anything about starfield but do we know if it's going to have that awful conversation view where a portrait of a face in the perfect center of the screen bores its dead-rear end eyes directly into the camera? that poo poo sucks imo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh yeah its still gonna be another gamebryo RPG like elder scrolls or fallout complete with terrible face animation that todd swears is new this time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Carthag Tuek posted:

i have a ps3 + a bunch of games that my brother gave me when they upgraded & i still havent gotten it running

because man setting up stuff its such a chore

every time i want to try its a new problem (finding the right adapters, batteries for remotes, all the cables, then the loving projector remote is apparently dead even with new batteries, oh but the unit has buttons on top, but it also has a whole harness thing bolted to the bottom so i can only set it upside down, and the bolts are loving pin-in-hex but i only have regular hex here. so maybe this old rear end dell monitor works, no it cant handle the resolution or something, etc, etc, etc)

just wait until you try to do anything that decides you need a sony online account, note that this doesn't necessarily require that the game or app or feature actually have an online component, sometimes you just need one because gently caress you

the sign-up process is like 18 layers of pain in the rear end and at the end of it, you have yet another online account you have no intention of using for anything, but is somehow required, along with mandatory mfa, etc. to access random features

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the last generation of usable console was the dreamcast/ps2/og xbox/game cube

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've never owned a console and it's looking like the right decision

Big long optical HDMI from the computer to the TV and a wireless Xbox controller, end of story

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why does Microsoft make it so hard to get a download link for OneDrive? I'm trying to share a 300MB CSV (lol) over email and it sends a link that tries to open up in Excel and then just says "Sorry, this is over 100MB. You can close the tab now." Very helpful :thumbsup:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's a browser setting that will try to automatically open office documents in edge, possibly others. dump the file in its own folder and share a link to the folder, then you should be able to select the download option for the one file

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

there's a browser setting that will try to automatically open office documents in edge, possibly others. dump the file in its own folder and share a link to the folder, then you should be able to select the download option for the one file

my sincere thanks... I actually had a few so throwing them in their own folder worked. Now I feel better because I raged and also got help! :stoked:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no worries, none of this poo poo works well or intuitively and much of my average of my day is coming up with stupid workarounds for stupid workflow issues

also, they change the interface loving weekly, so even if you find something that works for what you need, it'll be different in a month

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
went to reply to someone in Teams this morning and a very helpful modal popped up to tell me I should send a video response

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Chris Knight posted:

went to reply to someone in Teams this morning and a very helpful modal popped up to tell me I should send a video response

what the gently caress, thats absolutely deranged

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

just wait until you try to do anything that decides you need a sony online account, note that this doesn't necessarily require that the game or app or feature actually have an online component, sometimes you just need one because gently caress you

the sign-up process is like 18 layers of pain in the rear end and at the end of it, you have yet another online account you have no intention of using for anything, but is somehow required, along with mandatory mfa, etc. to access random features

i think they shut down the ps3 store so who even knows if it even works when i actually get it booted up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the last time i used mine was maybe six months ago and it prompted me to sign in three or four times, no idea if it would have succeeded because there's no way i'm going through god knows how many steps to reset the password for the account

it turns out i can just switch the ps3 back off and go do something less immediately frustrating

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

~Coxy posted:

conslutants

you do what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

post hole digger posted:

you do what now?

anything they pay me for