Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

facialimpediment posted:

At 8PM EST, here's the simplest recap:

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1672392270740439040

Ukraine thread has deeper info, but impossible to get actual truth in a bullshit fountain directly hooked up to a sewer of lies

that is an extremely good summary lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

:lol:

OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush kept reminding me of an obscure historical figure, Captain Richard F. Stockton, who in 1844 was responsible for a similar maritime disaster that killed 6, including U.S. Secretary of State Abel Upshur. I looked into their family tree, and they're actually related.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Genealogy/comments/14h9x7r/oceangate_ceo_stockton_rush_kept_reminding_me_of/

Herstory Begins Now posted:

that is an extremely good summary lol

Yeah that's actually the best I've seen yet lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush kept reminding me of an obscure historical figure, Captain Richard F. Stockton, who in 1844 was responsible for a similar maritime disaster that killed 6, including U.S. Secretary of State Abel Upshur. I looked into their family tree, and they're actually related.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Genealogy/comments/14h9x7r/oceangate_ceo_stockton_rush_kept_reminding_me_of/

Yeah that's actually the best I've seen yet lol

Oh my god I cannot handle this whole situation anymore, it just gets dumber every time I take another look.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Midjack posted:

June Current Events: it just gets dumber every time I take another look.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Did this interview with James Cameron and Robert Ballard get posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9YB31ElEFQ

The anchor immediately loses control and it turns into the Stadler and Waldorf of deep-sea exploration as Cameron and Ballard riff with each other. Highlights include Ballard barely containing a smirk at how they called it immediately as an implosion as soon as they heard, James Cameron barely containing his rage at the idea Stockton went through with this composite hull, and both of them disavowing anything more than a passing acquaintance with Stockton and OceanGate.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Yeah I don't think Prigozhin's got what it takes to become Slavic Snake.

Counterpoint: they already have revolver ocelot

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i stopped paying attention to work around noon PDT and took a 5h break around 17:00 and well

https://twitter.com/AlecLuhn/status/1672527779030618113

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1672531687224254466

anyway, adding a not quite the same sorta speech to the Gorbachev and Yeltsin resignation speeches burned into my memory

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1672518352449724419

he mad

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Holy gently caress things are happening.

Feels like we're in for a date we'll Remember.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, Wagner apparently have put out a statement that basically reads like "we'll have a new president soon". poo poo is very much happening.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So like… do they tac nuke themselves?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

So like… do they tac nuke themselves?

more importantly, do we just... stay out of it and watch with the world's largest collective bucket of popcorn if they do?

and also, given the rest of the state of the russian armory, what are the odds a russian tacnuke actually ignites properly?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

So I barely understand what’s happening and correct me if I’m getting it wrong but, basically Russia has treated its troops so poorly that a group of them (mercenary or paid units?) under the command of Wagner(?) or some dude with the last name starting with a P, have begun amassing and taking over MOD command sites, and are now headed to Moscow??

I know I got some of that wrong. Let’s say whomever is headed to oust Putin, let’s say they do, are they “good”? I think the only worse thing would be a group of even harder right extremists taking over.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Prigozhin is a monster and no we absolutely do not want him anywhere near power. Best case scenario is Wagner gets annihilated and Putin stays in power, but severely weakened, and the disruption causes the front in Ukraine to buckle.

Prigozhin is the sledgehammer murder guy, the taking over mines in Africa guy, the massacres of civilian dude. He's not, I would wager, a nice person.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Blind Rasputin posted:

So I barely understand what’s happening and correct me if I’m getting it wrong but, basically Russia has treated its troops so poorly that a group of them (mercenary or paid units?) under the command of Wagner(?) or some dude with the last name starting with a P, have begun amassing and taking over MOD command sites, and are now headed to Moscow??

I know I got some of that wrong. Let’s say whomever is headed to oust Putin, let’s say they do, are they “good”? I think the only worse thing would be a group of even harder right extremists taking over.

Russia relied on the Wagner Group mercenaries to do a lot of it's dirty jobs in military deployments in Africa and the Middle East. The head of the Wagner Group is Prigozhin, who used to be a close... associate? friend? of Putin. The Wagner Group enjoyed some success in Ukraine, while the regular Russian armed forced under the Ministry of Defense mostly just failed spectacularly. The Russian MoD is led by Shoigu, who's also a close associate of Putin, and above all else known as being intensely loyal to Putin personally. He has no military experience, and is from an ethnic minority, so he would be nothing without Putin's protection.

Prigozhin and Shoigu butted heads several times in the past, with Prigozhin for example accusing Shoigu of withholding ammunition, leaving the Wagner Group troops undersupplied. Recently, there was a new order that placed all military forces under the control of the MoD. That is, it would have placed Prigozhin and the Wagner Group under Shoigu's authority, severely weakening Prigozhin power base. The whole thing supposedly started out as a way to oust Shoigu, and after Putin renounced Prigozhin as a traitor, it's escalated to a fight between Prigozhin and Putin.

And there are zero "good" guys here. Prigozhin is a brutal psychopath, you can google it if you want. But I wouldn't recommend it. Honestly, the prospect of Prigozhin actually succeeding in overthrowing Putin is terrifying, I can't see how he would not be an even worse Putin. Which imho says a lot.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Blind Rasputin posted:

You want Putin to win badly enough you should almost consider offering more than just thoughts and prayers.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

lightpole posted:

You want Putin to win badly enough you should almost consider offering more than just thoughts and prayers.

gonna pray for ol baldy at the shul in the am

pray for him to die loving screaming

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

So 100% here the CIA approached Pragozhin and pushed the Wagner group to start this, right? Much like Nicaragua, Laos, Cambodia, you name it. Just another CIA-backed proxy war this time inside Russia to weaken their military from the inside out. Honestly it’s genius. :350:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Blind Rasputin posted:

I joked a while back that the funniest possible option wrt the IC was the army couped and started up the ussr 2.0 and if that happens I'm gonna be pissed that I blew my future telling on this poo poo instead of a powerball

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

This is goddamn amazing. The Peacekeeper disaster is just :discourse: peak Whig. I love talking about it in my APUSH class.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Prigozhin's basically a Russian mobster who's 'legitimate business' was setting up a grocery / restaurant / catering empire in Saint Petersburg after the Soviet Union fell, he became an ally of Putin during his rise in the early 2000s and ended up getting a bunch of cush government contracts with the Kremlin. Pretty standard fare until Syria and the Donbas blew up, then it seems like he got the bright idea to turn his mob muscle into an outright paramilitary force with his former security chief / head enforcer / neo-nazi Dmitry Utkin in charge and it grew from there. It's also suspected that he was the one who set up and financed a lot of the Russian troll activities around the 2016 election.

Someone elsewhere was comparing this to a shootout between rival Mexican cartel branches while the general authorities try their best not to get caught in the cross-fire.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

And Utkin's the one who had the nickname 'Wagner' hence the assumed reason their PMC got that name.

Yes the irony about them calling all enemies nazis while themselves being the ones who like Hitler and not Jewish people, is layered very thick.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Antigravitas posted:

Prigozhin is a monster and no we absolutely do not want him anywhere near power. Best case scenario is Wagner gets annihilated and Putin stays in power, but severely weakened, and the disruption causes the front in Ukraine to buckle.

Prigozhin is the sledgehammer murder guy, the taking over mines in Africa guy, the massacres of civilian dude. He's not, I would wager, a nice person.

Even if Wagner Group wins, does he have the skills to actually remain in power for more than a month or two?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sweet death panels except its administrators trying to juke their numbers

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1672454665907183617?s=20

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hey just a casual reminder that Sinema and Manchin are in permanent competition with one another as to who can be the absolute loving worst Democratic senator

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1672307668600365073?s=20

Hmm yes, we need to loosen regulations on the qualifications needed to operate giant metal tubes full of people and combustible materials through the sky, whatever could go wrong?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

That Works posted:

Anecdotally this ain't just that particular healthcare chain, same thing happened to my dad (but with the Flu, not Covid) in 2016. He's only alive because his cousin is a doctor who was able to pull strings and get him moved to his hospital. The whole experience made clear that there really is a second tier of medical care that only sees rich patients and other doctors (and their families).

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

That Works posted:

e: I think this story was too personal, but gently caress the American healthcare system.

Spoggerific fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 24, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Hey just a casual reminder that Sinema and Manchin are in permanent competition with one another as to who can be the absolute loving worst Democratic senator

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1672307668600365073?s=20

Hmm yes, we need to loosen regulations on the qualifications needed to operate giant metal tubes full of people and combustible materials through the sky, whatever could go wrong?

Because the initial call to raise pilot hiring requirements was championed by another garbage Democratic senator who had no idea what he was talking about, yet dragged the families of the crash victims in front of a camera at every opportunity to shame anyone who disagreed. Then Captain Sully got involved and it was bulletproof.

It's also backed by a union who is helping contribute to the current pilot shortage by failing to acknowledge there's a pilot shortage at all.

E- accidents weren't rampant as the Union claims when you read through that thread pre-2010 and the crash in Buffalo which prompted The increased minimums involved, wait for it, Pilots with more than 1500 hours.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 24, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s also ironic that Duckworth was a fully qualified Blackhawk pilot with “only” what 250 hours? And she would’ve been able to have an ATP with 750.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
How do US pilot training standards compare to the rest of the world as far as number of hours go?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

There hasn’t been a serious crash with a US airline since 2009, obviously that means airlines are over regulated. What’s even the point of air travel if a plane doesn’t fall out of the sky once in a while? It’s brave for Sienna to step forward for the real victims here, airline profits.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

FrozenVent posted:

How do US pilot training standards compare to the rest of the world as far as number of hours go?

1,500 hours Total Time (TT) UNLESS:
-Student is a graduate of an FAA-approved college aviation Associate's program, 1,250TT
-Student is a graduate of an FAA-approved college aviation Bachelor's program, 1,000TT
-Student has military flight experience, 750TT

(e- for those unaware of how that stacks up, European airlines put pilots who complete their in-house ab initio programs in the right seat with sub-500 hours)

Prior to the "1,500 hour rule" (which required First Officers have an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) license), supply and demand dictated requirements. When I started training in 2005, my instructors would've needed around 2,000TT. Shortly thereafter, when the first wave of Boomer retirements hit, it fell to ~500, though that conceivably could've been as low as 250 (which is the number for someone to hold a Commercial certificate).

The rule came about because a turboprop was backed into the ground outside Buffalo about 10 days after the Miracle on the Hudson and there's no place in DC more dangerous than between a camera and Chuck Schumer. Schumer ramrodded a law that was probably written in a fashion similar to that House of Cards scene where Underwood locks his staffers in a room and tells them they can't come out until they have a bill. It also helped that Captain Sully, now a celebrity and more than happy to be a shill for ALPA, hopped on board.

The rule assumes "Pilot with 1,499.9 hours Bad, Pilot with 1,500.0 hours Good!", which is flawed because a) the pilots in the Colgan (Buffalo) crash had multiples of time over the requirement, b) the issue was with Colgan's training department allowing a dumbass to pass checkrides repeatedly after busting them, and c) the previous fatal crash, the Comair crash in Lexington, also involved pilots with far more time than the new law called for.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 24, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Look, all these rules and regulations are stifling innovation©

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Worldwide an ATP license (1500 hours) is required to act as pilot in command (captain) of an airliner. What differs greatly is what is needed to sit in the right seat. In much of the world on paper it is 250 hours (it’s a little more complicated due to the hour types). An FO cannot be promoted to CA of an airliner until they have an ATPL.

In the US you need an ATPL (1500 hours) to act as FO on a part 121 airline.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So whos paying Sinema to block this?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

The rule assumes "Pilot with 1,499.9 hours Bad, Pilot with 1,500.0 hours Good!", which is flawed because a) the pilots in the Colgan (Buffalo) crash had multiples of time over the requirement, b) the issue was with Colgan's training department allowing a dumbass to pass checkrides repeatedly after busting them, and c) the previous fatal crash, the Comair crash in Lexington, also involved pilots with far more time than the new law called for.

If the pilots weren’t blamed then there might’ve been questions about crew scheduling and all the technicalities around crew rest requirements that the regionals needed to use.

But see, it was bad training and if the Colgan CA was tired it was because he must’ve had sleep apnea because he was fat. (Seriously - one of the responses was that the FAA started requiring sleep studies based on bmi)

Milo and POTUS posted:

Look, all these rules and regulations are stifling innovation©

The problem is that regionals want to change the law to allow the indentured servitude tier cadet programs from other parts of the world to come to the US. Basically these force the new pilot to only be able to work at one airline until they get their ATPL, and then potentially have a debt to pay off.

1500 hours certainly isn’t required to safely act as FO in a large turbine aircraft but anyone wanting it to be reduced should have their motivations checked thoroughly.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 24, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Also, when the Law took effect, you'd still have pilots with 1,500 hours start at regional airlines (those operating under the American Eagle, Delta Connection, United Express, etc) brands.

Today, in part because of the pilot shortage that ALPA and 1,500 hour rule supporters claim isn't happening, Frontier is hiring pilots from certain pilot mills who go straight from a Cessna to an Airbus A320.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

That Works posted:

So whos paying Sinema to block this?

The airline industry would be happier if they didn't have to keep paying other people all that expensive pilot money.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Also, when the Law took effect, you'd still have pilots with 1,500 hours start at regional airlines (those operating under the American Eagle, Delta Connection, United Express, etc) brands.

Today, in part because of the pilot shortage that ALPA and 1,500 hour rule supporters claim isn't happening, Frontier is hiring pilots from certain pilot mills who go straight from a Cessna to an Airbus A320.

Sweet time to get back to MSFS2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

The airline industry would be happier if they didn't have to keep paying other people all that expensive pilot money.

Regionals seriously are completely hosed from all directions. Pilots need to be paid more and legacies don’t want as many flights.

It’s easy to say good riddance like the CRJ and turboprop retirements but, since Lexington was mentioned earlier, at the rate things are going that’s the type of city that would need EAS support for routes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

As an aside, if you do a mental search/replace for every instance of "worker shortage" with "companies would rather whine than pay people enough to recruit them" a lot of the arguments become clearer. Whether it's airline pilots or any other industry.