Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

piss tests are bullshit imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

AWWNAW posted:

here’s the thing. I wasn’t even looking for a new job and I definitely wasn’t looking to stop smoking weed. I’m trying to decide whether to just decline, ask if they test for weed, or take my chances

other than the aforementioned rich people coddling, it exists to weed out people so addicted or stupid that they can't pass a piss test they get to schedule themselves. they're not gonna pull your hairs or anything.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

PokeJoe posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

i’ve never had to do one

which may or may not be surprising

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?

raminasi posted:

other than the aforementioned rich people coddling, it exists to weed out people so addicted or stupid that they can't pass a piss test they get to schedule themselves. they're not gonna pull your hairs or anything.

i got hair tested for an internship in college. gently caress those people, gently caress that job, gently caress hair tests

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

raminasi posted:

it exists to exert control

it’s the same kind of reminder that they own your time as the current rto policies

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Is it though? I’ve passed them after taking a three day break and my piss is probably as close to being thc sludge as one can manage since I use it for pain management and sleeping. I have a prescription and would rather not broach it with an employer so not sure if I can get away with failing one or not. Seems like an incredibly low bar though

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

does it count as a failure if they see a positive result but decide to hire anyway?

i.e. in general can there be a bunch of companies that make you do the test but hire regardless of the actual result? and then another bunch that only makes an offer if you piss clean

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

i am a moron posted:

Is it though? I’ve passed them after taking a three day break and my piss is probably as close to being thc sludge as one can manage since I use it for pain management and sleeping. I have a prescription and would rather not broach it with an employer so not sure if I can get away with failing one or not. Seems like an incredibly low bar though

yeah bud, it’s not about whether you piss hot or cold it’s about a company forcing a candidate to take a semi-invasive test regardless of whether the outcome matters

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

no it isn't, it's about insurance and so on. every lovely piece of a system is not actually a mustache-twirling decision made with a clear eye towards being a dick. you sound like a college freshman who just thought about labor relations and power structures for the first time.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Achmed Jones posted:

no it isn't, it's about insurance and so on. every lovely piece of a system is not actually a mustache-twirling decision made with a clear eye towards being a dick. you sound like a college freshman who just thought about labor relations and power structures for the first time.

yeah nobody in the hiring chain gives a poo poo about the dignity of workers in either direction. like, maybe some small business is run by a tyrant that requires hair tests for shits and giggles but the people running a nameless megacorp don't even think about individual workers enough to give a poo poo about intentionally humiliating them

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

yeah bud, it’s not about whether you piss hot or cold it’s about a company forcing a candidate to take a semi-invasive test regardless of whether the outcome matters

Achmed Jones posted:

it's both, btw

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Achmed Jones posted:

Yep. Medical companies and government contracts especially seem like they want you to have them. My last company drug tested people on hiring and supplied evidence of it as part of the bidding process. My current company is asked for it every now and then, as far as I know it’s usually redlined on our part but I know of at least one contract where you have to piss to be on the account. We do not do drug tests as a requirement for employment, and smoking weed is casually talked about at seemingly all levels so afaik no one really cares.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the primary reasons are insurance and regulatory stuff. the secondary reason is to weed out people who would balk at it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the jobs I've had that didn't drug test me were universally better than the ones that did

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its an epiphenomenon of your relative negotiating positions

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

it isn't even consistent that federal contractors always test. twice i've worked as a ca state employee working on contracts for a federal agency in a federal facility. pretty sure the only folks who got drug tested there were bus drivers and maybe the onsite fire department.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bob dobbs is dead posted:

epissphenomenon

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

but is it colorably so

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

epiphenomenon is stored in the balls

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sapozhnik posted:

but is it colorably so

four or less

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

it’s this but without the bdid-ictionary

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

echinopsis posted:

i’ve never had to do one

which may or may not be surprising

not surprising. i have only heard of drug tests for jobs in the united states. in canada it is illegal to do drug tests for a job unless it’s directly related to the work, which pretty much means that only heavy equipment operators get tested

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Blinkz0rz posted:

it’s this but without the bdid-ictionary

oh that one was fine

Truman Peyote posted:

not surprising. i have only heard of drug tests for jobs in the united states. in canada it is illegal to do drug tests for a job unless it’s directly related to the work, which pretty much means that only heavy equipment operators get tested

if the us had this law financial firms would still test their traders for drugs, just the opposite way

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

guess who’s back on the menu, girls

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Pollyanna posted:

is this a coming out post?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
it's loving insane that in states it's legal to make you piss in a cup

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

voluntarily or involuntarily?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

either way congratudolences

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

goblin week posted:

it's loving insane that in states it's legal to make you piss in a cup

"before we can let you work here in our very important Customer Excellence Call Center we're gonna need cheek swab to determine your genetic makeup."

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
whats everyone using to search for remote jobs these days?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

the internet

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I just filter on LinkedIn for remote and make sure wherever I’m applying doesn’t have any offices near me.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

It's been a while since I've been on the job hunt so maybe I'm missing some stuff. But here's where I've been looking.
  • Otta seems to favor quality over quantity of job postings.
  • Indeed has a greater volume of jobs but you'll have to sift through more junk like crypto startups and such. Still worth keeping an eye on.
  • Everyone seems to assume you have LinkedIn profile (I've seen applications that required your profile URL) but the wheat to chaff ratio of the jobs posted there seems really bad. Just walls of job posts by IT staffing firms.

Maybe I'm being too harsh by just writing off IT staffing firms completely. I don't know.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I get tons of first party stuff as a cloud person on LinkedIn. Indeed is a garbage factory. I’d probably use Craigslist before I ever opened that website again

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Maybe I just haven't taken the time to "tune in" my searches on LinkedIn.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

wash bucket posted:

Maybe I just haven't taken the time to "tune in" my searches on LinkedIn.

It seems to show me the sorts of jobs I easy apply for (which is great and I have an interview for a role this afternoon off an easy apply). My inbox is about 70/30 third party/in-house recruiters though.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
yea i stopped using linkedin a while ago, not worth the spam.

i guess i was asking for sites like otta ill check that out, otherwise i've used hackernews monthly job posts mostly successfuly, https://whoishiring.io/ and a couple other random sites ive not actually had luck with.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

KidDynamite posted:

voluntarily or involuntarily?

voluntarily, i’m officially fed up with my team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mr. Crow posted:

remote jobs don’t exist because i don’t believe any company corporation or business exists that actually trusts an employee they can’t measure via butt-in-chair