Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I really don't think asm.js was more promising than webassembly. wasm adds not just performance but a pretty strong sandboxing layer against semi-trusted code, and a route to (fairly painlessly) embedding it as a script host in damned near anything. It's one of the few tech things over the last few years that's really exciting, not because it's novel but because it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
asm.js is just javascript written in such a way that a jit compiler can process it easily. it gracefully degrades to running (slowly) without special support, because it's javascript. it can do everything javascript can do, because it's javascript. it's as secure as anything else in a browser (lol) because it is just fuckin' javascript

wasm is a gigantic, entirely new pile of surface area for web browsers which replicates some, but not all, of the existing functionality of web browsers. as it matures and gains new features there is a continuous detonation of incompatibilities with non-bleeding-edge browsers, and it is still critically dependent upon interoperation with javascript to actually make anything happen

if you were starting from a totally blank slate wasm would be pretty alright, but as an appendix to the existing teetering stack of technology it's an unforced nightmare

the fact that some people may spin it off as a jvm alternative via wasi is pretty much orthogonal to its suitability for its original purpose

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
wasm is assembly in the same way that all those project management startups that claim to be "the OS for your team!" are operating systems

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
asm.js and webassembly are both solutions in search of a problem because nobody should be doing any sort of thing in a browser that could possibly need them because anything presented in a browser should work with JavaScript entirely disabled

and nobody should be using JavaScript outside the browser because there are a huge pile of better choices for native development

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i thought they were a neat proof of concept for being able to run things in the browser that otherwise would not due to platform incompatibility, but only in the context of a “traditional” application i.e. not a webapp

however i guess that for that you still need the full source code and system to host browser integrations of the application you are trying to run, which makes it easier just to use a virtualized container anyway

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

eschaton posted:

asm.js and webassembly are both solutions in search of a problem because nobody should be doing any sort of thing in a browser that could possibly need them because anything presented in a browser should work with JavaScript entirely disabled

and nobody should be using JavaScript outside the browser because there are a huge pile of better choices for native development

this boat sailed a long time ago

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

eschaton posted:

lol

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
my 8 year career was entirely D3 and React SPAs

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

i do find it somewhat fitting that the browser-based reference docs for wasm (https://webassembly.github.io/spec/core/) use mathjax to render everything with gobs of javascript, displaying a mess of unreadable markup which a few seconds later is choppily replaced with very unpleasant typography:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ransom note typography

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

a majestic greybeard has been spotted

jmclnx 6 hours ago | prev | next [–]

I do not understand why people need to use these things [goon note: password managers], maybe they make it easier and more secure for Cell Phones ? I never use my Cell Phone for anything Finance or Medical Related.

But for me, I keep an encrypted text file and get the passwords my using emacs or vim. I generate passwords using:

tr -cd "[:alnum:]" < /dev/urandom | fold -w 16 | sed 10q

and with the result I may replace 1 character with what they call a "special character". To me that avoids a lot of worry.

jmclnx 9 days ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Reddit Threatens to Remove Moderators from Subredd...

"neckbeards" ? Really, do you know what one is :)

A real "neckbeard" would not be caught dead doing anything in a GUI on a tiny Cell Phone. neckbeards use USENET, which seems to be what REDDIT cloned years ago by putting lipstick on a pig.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
annotations are an [excellent] idea for anthropological study

mondomole
Jun 16, 2023

NihilCredo posted:

dang, sed 10q is such a flex

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

NihilCredo posted:

I do not understand why people need to use these things [goon note: password managers], maybe they make it easier and more secure for Cell Phones ? I never use my Cell Phone for anything Finance or Medical Related.

But for me, I keep an encrypted text file and get the passwords my using emacs or vim. I generate passwords using:

and with the result I may replace 1 character with what they call a "special character". To me that avoids a lot of worry.

jmclnx 9 days ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Reddit Threatens to Remove Moderators from Subredd...

A real "neckbeard" would not be caught dead doing anything in a GUI on a tiny Cell Phone. neckbeards use USENET, which seems to be what REDDIT cloned years ago by putting lipstick on a pig.

get this dude to yospos

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
“using emacs or vim”? obvious fake post lol

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Soricidus posted:

good catch, that's extremely suspicious

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

alias "ed" to open vim, emacs, or nano at random

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

what a stone cold pimp

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Soricidus posted:

lol

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Someone got out his Ottoman era skull calipers...

quote:

pixel3234 5 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

So far quite opposite is happening. Until about 15 years ago, Istanbul was very cosmopolitan city. You could meet people from all corners of Africa, Asia and Europe there. Even locals looked very white because of all slaves Ottomans brought into Istanbul. To some extend Istanbul was culturally not part of Turkey (something like London and UK).

Hovewer over last decade or so, Istanbul is being assimilated into Turkey. Many orthodox muslim turkish immigrants from east part of Turkey. More radicals... Foreigners are not so welcomed anymore

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
someone says uber drivers should always be given five stars unless you want them to lose their job. hacker news responds as you would expect

having to think about rating systems that have existed for decades and ended up inspiring 'the wire' is literally black mirror and/or them chinese people, because i didn't care to think about it until now:

quote:

quote:

mydriasis 10 minutes ago | next [–]

Reading the article, I'm recalling the "Social Credit" episode of Black Mirror. My my, it seems to be coming true --

> Five stars is good. Everything else is bad. For riders, a couple bad ratings don’t mean that much, but for drivers they could be the difference between maintaining access to the app and being deactivated—gig-speak for being suspended or fired.

I'm only being a _little_ dramatic. I swear.

quote:

JustBreath 3 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

The parallels are eerie.

> Sometimes, she gets worried about picking up passengers rated less than 4.8. Like a 4.79 is really low. I wonder, ‘Do I have to fear for my life with this person?’

oh you say this thing is bad? well here's another you never mentioned to refute your argument. guess you didn't get mugged by reality

(same hn users who think mandatory background checks on drivers is literally 1984)

quote:

misnome 17 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

Good to know that I should have left the driver who crashed their car mid-trip and then charged us for the full trip a five-star rating.

have you considered that we could make the system worse? opportunity is everywhere

quote:

quote:

mg 15 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

I often think that marketplace rating should work like this:

Every 3 rides, you get asked "Which one of the last 3 rides did you like the best?".

Then the driver you select gets 1 star. So an average driver would get 0.3 stars per ride. For display purposes, this can be normalized to whatever scale is most comfortable for users.

This should completely get rid of the problems with the popular "rate every seller right after the transaction" approach.

quote:

Majromax 6 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

> Every 3 rides, you get asked "Which one of the last 3 rides did you like the best?".

Note that this is a variation of stack ranking, which has incentives for the usual sorts of manipulation like avoiding "difficult" times like rush hour.

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 27, 2023

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

josh04 posted:

this boat sailed a long time ago

it can still burn

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
my rider rating is 4.76 and i don't even know why.

but also uber is loving garbage where i live, it's the goddamn capital and whenever i try to order a ride i get bounced around for ten minutes while everyone rejects me because i didn't spend enouygh to be worth picking up!!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'm at 4.57, i am not *that* surprised, as i do request a lot of rather inconvenient pickup/dropoffs (e.g. extremely far out of the way where the driver will struggle to get a return fare). also i have a terrible sense of directions so i am incapable of ever answering a question about the trip in a comprehensible way.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

sidcool 0 minutes ago | parent [–]

Theoretically it's impossible to travel through space at or more than speed of light. But space itself can move faster than light speed, and a warp drive would help something similar that you mentioned. That is possible theoretically. But the amount of energy or mass it needs is very high and no current technology (or in foreseeable future) can achieve it. So FTL remains a dream.
My hunch based on nothing is that we will achieve FTL no earlier than 2250.

qualifies in the final stretch!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

futurama predicted it

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
oh my god there's a hn thread about scotus striking down affirmative action - in a non-political way surely

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

distortion park posted:

sidcool 0 minutes ago | parent [–]

Theoretically it's impossible to travel through space at or more than speed of light. But space itself can move faster than light speed, and a warp drive would help something similar that you mentioned. That is possible theoretically. But the amount of energy or mass it needs is very high and no current technology (or in foreseeable future) can achieve it. So FTL remains a dream.
My hunch based on nothing is that we will achieve FTL no earlier than 2250.

qualifies in the final stretch!

I would have said 2239 myself but whatever. To each their own.

mystes
May 31, 2006

kliras posted:

oh my god there's a hn thread about scotus striking down affirmative action - in a non-political way surely
I'm not going to read this but people on the right have been insanely effective at spreading anti affirmative action discourse over the last 10 years and it's exhausting even trying to argue against it anymore so unfortunately whatever hn posters are saying is probably pretty mainstream now.

"Men's rights" stuff and the idea that white people are being discriminated against are unfortunately following a similar trajectory.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

quote:

hospitalJail 24 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

I'm so torn on GPL...

It prevents bad actors like Apple from ripping off people's philanthropic labor, but it also prevents me from ripping off people's labor.

what i were the rich person 🤔

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

gpl has stopped no major corporation from building all their tech infrastructure on top of linux, nginx, docker et al. sure they provide a value add which is whatever actual service they sell to clients, but having gpl software available for having a technology platform to build upon definitely does not hurt

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t think nginx is even GPL

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, nginx is bsd

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

well yeah, i guess the difference between bsd and gpl licenses really does not matter as long as you just use the software as is. hell iirc you can even customise it to your needs - gpl forces you to share the source code if/when you release or sell that software to someone

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that includes a device that has the software on it

not applicable to web services of course, that’s why AGPL was invented

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ldjkfkdsjnv 14 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Leo Tolstoy on why people drink (2014)

Call me crazy, but as a highly analytical person that has spent 70% of my waking hours in the last five years working on something technical, my social skills are best when I'm hungover. The logical analytical side of me is diminished and I am much more "normal". I have a much higher rate of success on dates with women when I have a really bad hang over and then a few drinks. It does feel like a lobotomy, and that's fine.
If I am in my normal raw intellect, I will begin going deep on some topic thats outside the range of normal human discourse. It will be hard for me to stop, because of my interest. Alcohol removes that to a large degree.
Edit:
A funny meta observation, the "Peak HN" comment below, and the following conversation, might not have been necessary if I wrote this post very hungover.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

nice!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

4lokos basilisk posted:

gpl has stopped no major corporation from building all their tech infrastructure on top of linux, nginx, docker et al. sure they provide a value add which is whatever actual service they sell to clients, but having gpl software available for having a technology platform to build upon definitely does not hurt

has stopped a lot of people from getting paid for their work though.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

has stopped a lot of people from getting paid for their work though.

why, are bsd/mit contributors making money hand over fist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

why, are bsd/mit contributors making money hand over fist?

You're confusing them with bdsm contributors.