Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

tech bubble v5.9: taking the team to pound town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Manzoon posted:

I'm trying to think of any formative media about cyberspace/metaverse where it isn't viewed as a cautionary tale.

all of it? or did you mean intended rather than viewed?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

tech bubble v5.9: taking the team to #town

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

isnt pound town what they call the equivalent of a dollar store in the uk?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
tech bubble v5.9: having to put in a catheter

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

leper khan posted:

tech bubble v5.9: having to put in a catheter

sprint planning takes way too long

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Manzoon posted:

I'm trying to think of any formative media about cyberspace/metaverse where it isn't viewed as a cautionary tale.

ready player one paints a picture of the metaverse which is quite simply, epic for the win.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

4lokos basilisk posted:

isnt pound town what they call the equivalent of a dollar store in the uk?

TAKING THE TEAM TO

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

visions of ashens and that brown couch

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

post hole digger posted:

ready player one paints a picture of the metaverse which is quite simply, epic for the win.

to be fair that's because ernest cline is part of the generation of dipshits who read the cautionary tales and decided they were instruction manuals. he's part of the same cohort actually building the torment nexus, just less immediately harmful

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

infernal machines posted:

all of it? or did you mean intended rather than viewed?

Intended. At best they seem to have an angle of "people with disabilities have a freer life" but there is always this tone of corporate dystopia. Just throwing this out there that my favorite metaverse involved media would be the Otherland books by Tad Williams.

post hole digger posted:

I did not consider that formative but did think of it haha. The little I know about that book came from a roommate who was reading it as part of a book club years ago, and he would have to sit down and vent about how goddamn stupid it is.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the best metaverse media is .hack//sign because its moral is that the solution to all of your problems is to log off

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

post hole digger posted:

It's not a primary source though. It's purely derivative, just the author ripped out all the dreary warnings. And it still sounds terrible.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

haveblue posted:

the best metaverse media is .hack//sign because its moral is that the solution to all of your problems is to log off

Or sword art online. All your problems are caused by logging in

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh sure ernie cline wants all your favorite video game characters in one world but i select ONE knuckles avatar in a tank and play some of my favorite music and everybody freaks out

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

mediaphage posted:

i've never understood quite what the metaverse was supposed to be; like, as AR/VR internet it still seems inevitable
Meta was Zuckerburg's chance to prove he truly was Augustus Caesar's successor. Unfortunately he was no Tiberius in the end.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

mediaphage posted:

AR/VR internet it still seems inevitable

i disagree

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
people do not want to strap poo poo to their faces. period. its the last great personal space invasion. nobody wants this.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's as inevitable as blockchain and self driving cars

which is to say it something people in the tech press constantly repeat is inevitable after being told that by people trying to sell it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

people do not want to strap poo poo to their faces. period. its the last great personal space invasion. nobody wants this.

i wear glasses

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

i wear glasses

i do too and i know you can squint when you are in bed and want to see what the alarm clock says

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

i do too and i know you can squint when you are in bed and want to see what the alarm clock says

you can also form a pinhole camera type thing with your hands and see things clearly that way too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the most i was ever Disabled was when i let them dilate my pupils on a hot July arkansas day and then i had to somehow manage to drive my very fast car back home to my dark bedroom cave to pass out and let it wane. i appreciate, in retrospect, all the other drivers who politely allowed this rear end in a top hat in a 325 to take up 2.75 lanes on the way home

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jonny 290 posted:

the most i was ever Disabled was when i let them dilate my pupils on a hot July arkansas day and then i had to somehow manage to drive my very fast car back home to my dark bedroom cave to pass out and let it wane. i appreciate, in retrospect, all the other drivers who politely allowed this rear end in a top hat in a 325 to take up 2.75 lanes on the way home

“oh this rear end in a top hat’s been at the bar early, good for him”

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

did they not give you the lil' paper sunglasses

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shame Boy posted:

did they not give you the lil' paper sunglasses

yes but i need glasses to drive lol you can't stack

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the russians took a taxi

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jonny 290 posted:

yes but i need glasses to drive lol you can't stack

if your optometrist isn’t a scrub you can Rollens Roll Up Sunglasses w/ 100% UV Protection - 8 Count https://a.co/d/dWmaw2H

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

fart simpson posted:

i wear glasses

people literally have eye surgery so they dont have to

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor posted:

people literally have eye surgery so they dont have to

or wear contacts. it's literally preferable to jab something into your eye than have something draped on your face

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i like my glasses cuz i can use the arms (or whatever they're called) for pokin' stuff if i need to poke stuff, so i've always got a stuff poker on me

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i hate my glasses because occasionally the edge of one finger will gently brush the teensiest bit of the lens, leaving a giant greasy splotch because i am apparently a slime monster

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well-read undead posted:

i hate my glasses because occasionally the edge of one finger will gently brush the teensiest bit of the lens, leaving a giant greasy splotch because i am apparently a slime monster

yeah we know

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i tried contacts around '99 when i was 19 or 20, and the tech sucked so they set me up with one soft lens and one hard toric lens cause astigmatism, and the end result was that my eyeballs were perceptibly different sizes and it drove me mad so i went back to glasses

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
glasses also offer a (minimal) level of physical protection

I will wear glasses forever because I have a thing about eyes and will never get contacts or elective eye surgery

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

fart simpson posted:

yeah we know

and you never bothered to tell me??

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i think it's possible that someday we might see a 3d-rendered social space that is sufficiently widespread and popular that it makes up a substantial fraction of "the internet experience", in the way facebook does for deranged boomers today

i don't think this idea will ever work if vr headsets are the only way to participate. offering immersion from time to time could be handy, but being able to choose 1st or 3rd person views on a regular screen is much more comfortable for lengthy periods, in the same way that having a home theater room could be nice, but you wouldn't spend every waking moment there or step into that dedicated room every single time you wanted to do anything on the internet. if the only way to use discord was to be streaming and in voice chat as long as the client was open it would be uncomfortable as gently caress and nobody would use it at all

and some things simply do not make any sense in 3d. unless it's something like previewing what it looks like to sit in a car or a new house before you buy it, 2d images and simple menus are infinitely more efficient and comfortable than a 3d simulacrum of a walmart with fake aisles and a fake cart you toss items into

i don't think this idea will ever work if it's built like a company town, either; none of the attempts at metaverse projects have made a credible attempt at having a federated service where anyone can host their own 3d space and connect it to a larger world. web browsers only wound up with (relatively) open standards by accident, and no bigcorps have the appetite to create something similarly open when they could instead build a walled garden

the metaverse will never, ever be invented by people whose fundamental starting point is "how do i make an online space that i can charge rent for while also pleasing advertisers"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

haveblue posted:

glasses also offer a (minimal) level of physical protection

I will wear glasses forever because I have a thing about eyes and will never get contacts or elective eye surgery

like 40 bucks thrown at zenni and i got ansi rated prescription safety glasses that will probably eat a .22 okay and will definitely guard against any sort of random drill chips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Jonny 290 posted:

like 40 bucks thrown at zenni and i got ansi rated prescription safety glasses that will probably eat a .22 okay and will definitely guard against any sort of random drill chips

oh drat, i didn't realize zenni did safety glasses; that owns